2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Oh wow, just heard Ekstrom interviewed on the RallyX Nordic show and he pointed out that if Larsson wins the championship today, that specific Audi S1 will have won the WorldRX, EuroRX AND RallyX Nordic championships...

Surely makes that car a modern classic

What an end of the RallyX Nordic Supercars championship. Not want to spoil it if you havent seen it.

Wait, so, Larsson didn't make the final, Ekstrom pulled out and allowed Larsson to compete and won it? :classic_blink:

2 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Wait, so, Larsson didn't make the final, Ekstrom pulled out and allowed Larsson to compete and won it? :classic_blink:

Yes, although he didn't win the race, Eriksson's steering broke and he crashed out. Went from celebrating the championship to nothing painfully fast...

1 hour ago, mats27 said:

Yes, although he didn't win the race, Eriksson's steering broke and he crashed out. Went from celebrating the championship to nothing painfully fast...

It was rather stupud to celebrate. At that point it was already clear to me that Ekstron would pull out to help Larsson into the final if necessary. The time Larsson set in his semi was good so pretty sure he would be 1e reserve driver.

• Agree 1

Just finished watching the livestream. Absolutely unbelievable end to the season. I thought Eriksson should have been punished in the first semi, was surprised he got away with that contact. 

Lucky that Ekstrom was there to help Larsson. And, although I wanted Robin to take it, I did feel desperately sorry for Oliver: he did everything right (apart from waiting to celebrate). 

OK i guess i'm not getting exactly what went on, can anyone link the livestream? i'll try and watch it today.

21 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

Oh wow, just heard Ekstrom interviewed on the RallyX Nordic show and he pointed out that if Larsson wins the championship today, that specific Audi S1 will have won the WorldRX, EuroRX AND RallyX Nordic championships...

Surely makes that car a modern classic

Definitely one of the most successful World Rallycross cars, though I'd say that the 2014 built PSRX DS3 is still the most successful World Supercar (2 x World Championships & 1 x RallyX Nordic Championship). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Interesting driver choice and also interesting to go to four cars. Would this also create a possibility for a Subary factory team in WRX next season (next to ARX)?

Suprised though they went for Wiman, and not for Heikkinen, who has experience with the Impreza at CotA. 

18 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Maybe an attempt to try and deny Foust some points? 

Well, we saw also two extra Erikssons in the RallyX Nordic final event at Tierp. In the end didn't help Oliver to the title though

24 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Maybe an attempt to try and deny Foust some points? 

It’s gotta be, big play by SUBARU.

45 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

RX Monster is gonna run the Subaru next year in WRX in place of the S1 maybe?

11 hours ago, mwoodski said:

RX Monster is gonna run the Subaru next year in WRX in place of the S1 maybe?

I had wondered if SRT USA going to World Rallycross was a possibility next year. 

Be a bold move to opt for a Subaru over the S1, though if Subaru were at least partially funding things then its surely a possibility. Its no secret that RX Cartel have had a tight budget this season. 

Edited by tbtstt

Good luck, i can see the Suby getting in there like the Volvo 850 got into touring cars 😄 

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX

11 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Well, we saw also two extra Erikssons in the RallyX Nordic final event at Tierp. In the end didn't help Oliver to the title though

just watched the entire season yesterday (ok, just the supercar semis and finals).... among all the talk of the teams trying to use tactics to win the championship (Ekstrom having "technical issues" allowing Larsson into the final and what you said about Kevin and Sebastian Eriksson ...  if anything, the other Erikssons cost Oliver the title by finishing ahead of him in qualifying.

would be really cool to see the Impreza compete in WRX, but it's very large for the (generally) tighter WRX tracks, no? it'd be fine I'm sure, but not sure it's the best choice. bit like the Focus in 2016-17...

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ianism said:

would be really cool to see the Impreza compete in WRX, but it's very large for the (generally) tighter WRX tracks, no? it'd be fine I'm sure, but not sure it's the best choice. bit like the Focus in 2016-17...

Yeah, I agree. Scott Speed set some of the fastest times at Canada, but I'd say that circuit suits the Subaru. When it comes to some of the tighter European circuits, I think the STI would struggle against some of it's rivals. 

The Subaru made a huge step in speed for this season and it might be the only factory car that i continuing to be developed. It showed on all ARX tracks this season it was quick and might have been the fastest car at NRX as well. I think overall it will work pretty well in WRX with also tracks like Abu Dhabi, Silverstone.

A lot of things are possible for next season. I wouldn't be suprised that some entries will go to Projekt E as they might get funding for that. Hope it won't result in cannibalism and there will be both low entries in WRX and Projekt E.

ARX is also on the edge of entries. As it looks like now, this season is really the last for the Beetle and than the VW/R entry might be gone. Maybe Subaru will switch to WRX, maybe both ARX and WRX, maybe ARX and Projekt E. Also there is the question of how many Project E events and WRX events there will be. Will ERX keep the same amount of rounds (6) or will ERX get more standalone events (like Estering). Than there is the "competition" with Titans.

One thing IMG also need to think about is the broadcasting. They almost not broadcasted (live) the Super 1600 this season. This makes it less attractive for sponsors or drivers to step into this category. But this category is very important as a base, as a lot of these guys step up to Supercars like Bakkerud, Baumanis, Szabo, Baciuska. If you want more drivers in Supercars, than also the Super 1600 (and RX2) need to be broadcasted. Maybe not need to be live, but make a highlights show or delayed stream without commentary.