2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

How did this become an WRC topic.... oowh, I started with Loeb coming hopefully "back" to WRX. 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Pfei said:

The tension began last year. Tänak made it clear he lost to Ogier because of the car breaking down. That tension moved into 2019 and reached the boiling point in Sardinia. Evidently Tänak never got on well with Tommi or his girlfriend. 

Now besides the Ogier to Toyota rumor, the plot thickens as Neuville tweeted Happy Halloween from Toyota's HQ in Finland. The tweet was promptly deleted. 

EINwSarXYAAIQ4C.thumb.jpg.f4c7e1b3f2f97894b4e73cc90ba9a323.jpg

That's a real gossip, well done !

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

How did this become an WRC topic.... oowh, I started with Loeb coming hopefully "back" to WRX. 

WorldRX > WRC, change my mind :classic_biggrin:

7 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Now the 2020 schedule is out, maybe time to gossip about the 2020 entries as well

I saw the following teams/drivers sharing the 2020 schedule:
- GCK
- Rokas Baciuška
- Cyril Raymond
- Timo Scheider (posted about the Nurburgring)
- Xite Racing / Oliver Bennett
- STARD
- Ulrik Linnemann
- Niclas Grönholm
- Timur Timerzyanov
- ES Motorsports
- Matvey Furazhkin

Linnemann was on a very small budget in 2019. On what info do you think he can do WRX?

The guy on the bottom of the list... come on he lacks any talent to do WRX.

16 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

But, crucially, he has a big enough wallet! 

I'm wondering about Wildcard entries next year, wonder if Topi or Matias will want another go

I'm still desperate to see Solberg back for a one off as well, he was in the paddock at Spa wasn't he? Surely must've been craving some RX action 

23 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

I'm wondering about Wildcard entries next year, wonder if Topi or Matias will want another go

I'm still desperate to see Solberg back for a one off as well, he was in the paddock at Spa wasn't he? Surely must've been craving some RX action 

I think he’s fully retired now from racing, given his big farewell tour this year.

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

Linnemann was on a very small budget in 2019. On what info do you think he can do WRX?

He recently tested a Supercar nearby where I live. He might actually do ERX with the car he tested that day.

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

Lack of talent? I don't know how competitive the Supercars are in Autocross, but he became European Champion there and won 7 of 9 events. 

25 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I think he’s fully retired now from racing, given his big farewell tour this year.

Next year is probably to early, but race, rally, rallycross drivers and comebacks are often seen.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Lack of talent? I don't know how competitive the Supercars are in Autocross, but he became European Champion there and won 7 of 9 events. 

That maybe explains why he was more focussed on hitting the other cars as going fast 😀 but well if you get a drive in a car that was 2 times good enough for the final (with a driver unknown to wrx and tracks) and you don't deliver anything? 

1 hour ago, MattyH1812 said:

Yeah we saw him hanging around EKS at Spa when we were looking around inside the Audi, he'd be up for one offs but won't be looking for a title.

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Yeah, I think you are right...

...but I'd love to see him back out in the DS3 again!

2 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

That maybe explains why he was more focussed on hitting the other cars as going fast 😀 but well if you get a drive in a car that was 2 times good enough for the final (with a driver unknown to wrx and tracks) and you don't deliver anything? 

You are referring to Abbring. But Abbring has a lot of Rally and Racing experience, was a factory test driver, did 90% testing work of that Fabia from ES and.... started his career in Rallycross. 

Farazhkin didn't do testing work, also unknown to WRX and WRX tracks, and is much more inexperienced overall. 

Don;t get me wrong. I would love to see Abbring behind the wheel next year full time (which maybe will happen if I understand well), but if Furazhkin also manage to get a full-time drive, that will than also be great. The more full-timers, the better it is for the sport 🙂 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, tbtstt said:

Get yourself to a European event, it'll give you a better weekend than Silverstone would have done! 

I don't have the budget for a European event, unfortunately.  GP3R was just 6 hours North of me and I could easily do that by car.

Edited by mwoodski

55 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

I don't have the budget for a European event, unfortunately.  GP3R was just 6 hours North of me and I could easily do that by car.

Maybe ARX will still go there, hopefully with a bigger entry. I hope Loenbro will enter their 3rd Fiesta, Subaru with at least 3 cars again maybe 4, hopefully there will be some Volkswagen, and I hope OMSE will start with a pair of MK8 Fiesta (maybe for Fraser McConnell and one of the Erikkson brothers) or the return of the Civic. Also with no WRX at all in North America, maybe Monster Energy would like to support an entry?

2 hours ago, mwoodski said:

Apologies: for some reason I thought you were in the UK! 

That was it, the Volkswagen Beetle R will not make a return next year:
https://volkswagen-motorsport.com/en/press-service/articel?tx_dataviewer_record[record]=2326&cHash=4e8d1936dec0b181bc59dbbe35d77cb3

But it not seems the end of VW in Rallycross, as the article really mentions the goodbye of the Beetle, but nothing suggests towards an end of an RX program.
Also it happens to be that SEMA will be this week, a possible perfect show to announce the replacement (but that could also be a bit to early).

Is there a possibility that the VW Motorsport Polo might be employed next year? 

(although I don't think the Polo is sold in the US?) 

The Polo is indeed not being sold in the US. The new Golf could be possible. A bit bigger than the Beetle if I am correct. But it’s atleast a car that is being sold over the world.

Otherwise the Jetta could also be possible, as a sedan, which is similar size as Subaru.

3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I could see VW going with the ID.3 when Projekt E starts.

Yeah, I wonder if Projekt E is more up their street now, as they stated their interest in returning to World RX when/if electric happened. I am not sure just how involved VW Motorsport were with the 2019 ARX season as well, I was under the impression that their support for VARX was minimal this year. 

Quite a record for the Beetle, though perhaps a slightly skewed claim, as the Beetle never faced the same level of competition (in my personal opinion) as the Polo did in World RX. 

36 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I could see VW going with the ID.3 when Projekt E starts.

I was thinking the same when I have seen the advert at tv.

Well even if this weekend is a total disaster (and I really hope it isn't), Bakkerud will claim a top three finish, so that must be a fairly positive result for the sponsors...

...I really hope Andreas takes it this weekend and returns next year as the defending Champion. 

• Agree 1