Jump to content

2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Recommended Posts

Bakkerud hasn't been the cleanest in the past, but yeah, absolutely terrible way to lose the Championship. I think the fans have picked their own winner though...

It seemed highly unlikely, but latest article on Motorsport.com confirms that there will be no UK World RX round next year:

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/news/silverstone-dropped-2020-calendar-economic/4596103/amp/?https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorsport.com%2Fworld-rx%2Fnews%2Fsilverstone-dropped-2020-calendar-economic%2F4596103%2F&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1gqAw1tzJpWGIWPUhMZJS2JwRqHtSRN54jlkHCWlEypT4vskfueOye9L4

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

This is why I love watching the World RX and why I always have to use a VPN to watch it. Just listen the difference of intensity of the French commentators. How could he be so quiet ?😁
#LiveTheRX #FeelTheRX 😀

 😁

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

It seemed highly unlikely, but latest article on Motorsport.com confirms that there will be no UK World RX round next year:

Honestly, I think I'm ok with this, Speedmachine is a great event for sure but I feel the SIlverstone track is kind of underwhelming, and if this means we can get Lydden back for 2021 then I can do without a UK round next year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peugeot will go to FIA WEC with Hypercar in .... 2022. I have no idea what this might mean for a potential RX return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Finishing? 😞 

I think that title is very misleading: watch the video until the end and it says details will be forthcoming in January next year... 

...I hope Oliver approaches 2020 with more realistic goals. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Finishing my racing career" is indeed missleading, especially as he shared the 2020 WRX schedule. Also after the South African event he tested for a day. So I think a WRX program will be on the cards. In what form however is still unclear. But my guesses are the following:
- "Finishing my racing career" is being referred to the MINI. I wouldn't be suprised this was the last outing for the MINI (in WRX) and Oliver will go with a other/new car next year. What car will be ofcourse is unknown now, but there are options ofcourse options with f.e. the third Hyundai i20 of SET/GRX, or a MK8 Fiesta from STARD or OMSE, or an EKS Audi.
- Oliver stepping down from full-time driving duties, and focus more on his growing business. Someone else will drive the MINI.

Although I like the MINI, the problem is that is the only one and you have no other refferences. If he would hiring a seat at an other team where he also will have a co-driver(s), than you can easier work on set-up, see where you gain or loose time from your co-driver, having experienced engineers/mechanics, etc.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

"Finishing my racing career" is indeed missleading, especially as he shared the 2020 WRX schedule. Also after the South African event he tested for a day. So I think a WRX program will be on the cards. In what form however is still unclear. But my guesses are the following:
- "Finishing my racing career" is being referred to the MINI. I wouldn't be suprised this was the last outing for the MINI (in WRX) and Oliver will go with a other/new car next year. What car will be ofcourse is unknown now, but there are options ofcourse options with f.e. the third Hyundai i20 of SET/GRX, or a MK8 Fiesta from STARD or OMSE, or an EKS Audi.
- Oliver stepping down from full-time driving duties, and focus more on his growing business. Someone else will drive the MINI.

Although I like the MINI, the problem is that is the only one and you have no other refferences. If he would hiring a seat at an other team where he also will have a co-driver(s), than you can easier work on set-up, see where you gain or loose time from your co-driver, having experienced engineers/mechanics, etc.
 

Yes he tested, but with the mini. That seems not logical if he isn't using it next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest (and I'm sorry if he ever reads this) but Bennett and his car did absolutely nothing this year to interest me in what happens with them next year.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to the Mini in DR2.0, purely so I can get some good results with it

I have massive respect for Ollie for managing to get the whole season done but I agree with @ianism I'm afraid

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

benett is good RX driver the problem is not benett the problem is mini cooper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ianism said:

I'll be honest (and I'm sorry if he ever reads this) but Bennett and his car did absolutely nothing this year to interest me in what happens with them next year.

Yep, absolutely. As I have said before I admire his enthusiasm (and if I had the money I'd love to do what he was/is doing), but he is out of his depth in World RX and competing in an unproven (and unreliable) car. 

If I was in his shoes I'd be incredibly frustrated at this point, as he has surely thrown a lot of money at World RX for little return and zero results. 

He would have been better off running his ex-OMSE Fiesta in the UK and European Championship to gain experience while properly developing the MINI outside the race weekends. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you look at the best times Oliver posted in the MINI, he wasn't that much slower that the fastest in the qualifying. 

Q1 Fastest Lap: 42.2 / +1.1 sec
Q1 Total time gap: +6.3 sec (~1.6 sec a lap)

Q2 Fastest Lap: 41.9 / +0.7 sec
Q2 Total time gap: +4.1 sec (~1,0 sec a lap)

Q3 Fastest Lap: 41.5 / +1.5 sec
Q3 Total time gap: +10.8 sec (~2,7 sec a lap)

Q4 Fastest Lap: 41.5 / +1,4 sec
Q4 Total time gap: +9,6 sec (~2,4 sec a lap)

If I look at these times, I don't think that old MK7 Fiesta would have done any better. Also I scanned a bit of results of the other events and it was pretty normal to see that average total gap time was around 6 seconds and gap to fastest lap about 1 to 1,5 second. In some circumstances it was closer and sometimes a bit/lot bigger. 

You can also say that Saturday went still well, but Sunday the performance was more worse compaired to the others.
That has some reasons:
- The turbo issues got more worse on Sunday.
- Bennett comes in the slower groups on Q3 and Q4, meaning i he looses the start and is stuck behind someone slower it will affect your race time.
- Not having a team mate / or experienced team. While others car improve their set-up easier with data of 2-3 cars, Bennett needs to look at his own data, with less experienced team. 
- Lack of spare parts, so taking less risks in races = slower. 

My conclusion is that the Bennett/MINI combination is around 1,5 second average slower than the Bakkerud/Hansen/Gronholm drivers. in my opinion it isn't a big gap knowing the difference in experience, team and especially the reliability of the car. The competition is that strong, than if you already not having the fastest combination, a mistake or issue with the car will cause you not to make the semis. And the MINI had some issues, resulting in missing a lot of semis for sure. But when the reliability was there about, Oliver was a lot closer to the Semis. 

Going with an own Supercar package is for sure a lot cheaper than renting for example an EKS Audi. I wouldn't be suprised the budget needed for having en EKS Audi might be more than double. But maybe going for an OMSE MK8 Fiesta might be doable. Might cost a bit more, but maybe a kinda joint venture construction with OMSE, the costs might not even be that higher. But probably it is a more competitive car, a more reliable car and with that also a more consistent and faster package which will increase the possibility to make the semis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MINI might be competitive on a single lap - but then it should be really given the parts and money that have gone into it - the problem is, it is not reliable.

I think Oliver would have accrued more useful experience in the tried and tested Fiesta than in the MINI which goes fast for a few laps then breaks. 

There are a LOT of Fiestas out there as well, so there is likely to be a lot more setup data available. With the MINI you have an inexperienced driver trying to setup an inconsistent and unreliable car. Bennett has set himself up to fail (in my personal opinion anyway).

 

NB: I would have to disagree with you about the significance of that lap time difference: in World RX 1.5 seconds a lap is a considerable margin. I think he'd have a far better time in Euro RX.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

NB: I would have to disagree with you about the significance of that lap time difference: in World RX 1.5 seconds a lap is a considerable margin. I think he'd have a far better time in Euro RX.

Therefore I also said that the gap isn't that big knowing the difference in experience, team and car. If he would be in an Audi or i20, than yes, the gap is big. I think with an Audi he might have done a similar job as Szabo. Maybe at some tracks better, and at some other worse. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit guessing/hoping for the 2020 entry. Hopefully a healthy grid and maybe with some new faces as well. 

2x Hansen - Peugeot
- Timmy Hansen
- Kevin Hansen

2x RX Cartel - Subaru or Audi
- Andreas Bakkerud
- Liam Doran

2x EKS/JC Raceteknik - Audi
- Krisztian Szabo
- Robin Larsson

3x GRX / SET - Hyundai i20
- Niclas Gronholm
- Timur Timerzyanov
- ??? Loeb?

2x STARD - Fiesta MK8
- Janis Baumanis
- ???

2x OMSE - Fiesta MK8
- Oliver Eriksson
- Kevin Eriksson

2x ES - Fabia
- Kevin Abbring
- Matvey Furazhkin

2x All-Inkl - Ibiza
- Timo Scheider
- ???

5x GCK - Megane / Clio
- Guirlain Chicherit
- Anton Marklund
- Rokas Baciuška
- Cyril Raymond
- Guillaume De Ridder

1x Xite - ???
- Oliver Bennett

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Well, if you look at the best times Oliver posted in the MINI, he wasn't that much slower that the fastest in the qualifying. 

Q1 Fastest Lap: 42.2 / +1.1 sec
Q1 Total time gap: +6.3 sec (~1.6 sec a lap)

Q2 Fastest Lap: 41.9 / +0.7 sec
Q2 Total time gap: +4.1 sec (~1,0 sec a lap)

Q3 Fastest Lap: 41.5 / +1.5 sec
Q3 Total time gap: +10.8 sec (~2,7 sec a lap)

Q4 Fastest Lap: 41.5 / +1,4 sec
Q4 Total time gap: +9,6 sec (~2,4 sec a lap)

as tbtstt pointed out, those are still fairly big gaps. if you compare the best laps of every WRX driver from 2019 to the fastest lap of the fastest driver, I'll bet Bennett is still in the bottom 25% of the field.

more importantly though... where are these numbers from? because you just showed the problem with them yourself: you took Bennett's BEST times, and compared them to whoever was fastest that round. the fastest driver might not have driven their best possible times, even if they were first.

also, you're ignoring all the times he made a mistake and lost a lot of time or DNF'd himself, which was a lot (I am not talking about mechanical issues here, I'm talking about going off track because of driver error).

therefore, if you want to do it fair, you've got to (for example) take the time gaps between him and the 3rd-best driver (nobody needs to win every qualifying round) for every qualifying round of the season that Bennett finished. then you get the median (or average) difference between him and the 3rd best time in each location. that'll show the difference better, even if it does not take into account his self-inflicted DNFs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ianism said:

I'll be honest (and I'm sorry if he ever reads this) but Bennett and his car did absolutely nothing this year to interest me in what happens with them next year.

I disagree. Each time, he came with his good mood. 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any rumour about the two TBC 2020 rounds? We know there won't be a UK round this year, but other than that, they could be anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oscar97 said:

Has there been any rumour about the two TBC 2020 rounds? We know there won't be a UK round this year, but other than that, they could be anything.

Riga, Finland (Kymi) and Russia (Igora)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ianism said:

more importantly though... where are these numbers from? because you just showed the problem with them yourself: you took Bennett's BEST times, and compared them to whoever was fastest that round. the fastest driver might not have driven their best possible times, even if they were first.

also, you're ignoring all the times he made a mistake and lost a lot of time or DNF'd himself, which was a lot (I am not talking about mechanical issues here, I'm talking about going off track because of driver error).

Yep. Bennett is (just about) competitive at a National level, but he just isn't close to the World guys. It's cool to participate at the top level, but I still maintain that running in the Euros in the Fiesta would see him consistently racing people and not trailing at the back collecting places purely thanks to other peoples woes. 

19 minutes ago, Oscar97 said:

Has there been any rumour about the two TBC 2020 rounds? We know there won't be a UK round this year, but other than that, they could be anything.

Just rumours. I still think Riga is a strong possibility if they can get the financial issue resolved. Russia and Finland have been mentioned a few times with regards to the July date. 

EDIT: Ha, beaten to it with the answer to Oscar97! 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it seems there's some pretty credible rumours. 😁

If Riga does come back, I think Igora could make for better racing than Kymi. We'll see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×