2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Probably too expensive to travel, but would Bennett do alright in ARX?

Just now, PJTierney said:

He already tried it and that didn't go well. COTA and Silverstone in 2018

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Well, given the number of entries this year, I'd say he'd be a lot more likely to make the semi-final...

• Haha 1

no surprise there. you're not going to be able to keep a series going with only like 7 entrants and few spectators.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

RIP ARX.

Oliver Bennett should definitely enter now, the Championship is his. 

• Haha 4

its a shame the ARX not continues especially ARX3 also started last season with the Sierra cars, Subaru made investments, etc.

I had hoped Honda would have interest to return, maybe a OMSE Fiesta or two, and maybe something VW, but that seemed to far.

i wonder what this will mean for Loenbro and Subaru, especially as there is no North American top level supercars round at all anymore, except NRX probably. 

3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

i wonder what this will mean for Loenbro and Subaru, especially as there is no North American top level supercars round at all anymore, except NRX probably. 

Nitro RX expansion or Titans RX setting up in the US seem to be the strongest candidates. 

10 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Nitro RX expansion or Titans RX setting up in the US seem to be the strongest candidates. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Just when SUBARU we’re starting to come good 😞 

Hope they step up to World RX next year.

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Just when SUBARU we’re starting to come good 😞 

Hope they step up to World RX next year.

Would love to see that! A full program would require a significant budget, but Subaru seem to be throwing money at Vermont, so hopefully it is feasible. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Would love to see that! A full program would require a significant budget, but Subaru seem to be throwing money at Vermont, so hopefully it is feasible. 

Don;t forget that when Subaru competed at Global Rallycross, that they also competed at multiple rounds, although the difference there is, it was in America, now they would compete at all rounds outside America. So they will need a base in Europe as well.

My guess is that the RX Cartel might become a factory supported Subaru team. They could use some facilities of LDM, and I think renting an EKS Audi isn't cheaper than "renting" a Subaru. So budgetwise the RX Cartel / Monster could solve some things with Subaru as well. Maybe we could finally see Scott Speed as well compete in Europe 😄 But I think Subaru wants to promote their brand primarely in North America, so I not really see how a WRX programm without a North American round will do that.

Btw, some say Boxer engines aren't allowed in RX, but in the technical regulations i don't find anything about it. Actually I found this:
image.png.2967dfd23064e3df87f164f784c73a3e.png

• Like 1

Hmm, I wonder if this comes true. Bakkerud wants the title and the audi is capable to give him this. With cars wirh a long base (the focus) he had not much luck, also wirh an american based team he has not the best memories.

But well, the title is one thing, enough money is also 😎

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Btw, some say Boxer engines aren't allowed in RX, but in the technical regulations i don't find anything about it. Actually I found this:

image.png.2967dfd23064e3df87f164f784c73a3e.png

I have been trying to find out more about this. You are right that Boxer engines are allowed, but I understand that the engines in the Vermont cars don't comply with the World RX regulations: though I can't figure out why. 

Will keep asking and post an answer here if I get one! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

I have been trying to find out more about this. You are right that Boxer engines are allowed, but I understand that the engines in the Vermont cars don't comply with the World RX regulations: though I can't figure out why. 

Will keep asking and post an answer here if I get one! 

Just a thought but maybe it is because WRX cars all use the same FIA approved electronics which the US based cars probably don't have.

2 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Just a thought but maybe it is because WRX cars all use the same FIA approved electronics which the US based cars probably don't have.

That's a possibility, though the suggestion is that it is an issue with the engine itself rather than engine management. 

I understood that the ARX regulations were pretty similar to the WRX rules and, given that the Beetle (or rather accusations about the Beetle) were seemingly connected to the introduction of that ECU/software regulation in WRX, then I would be surprised if the ARX rulebook didn't copy it. 

If that is the issue then it is a relatively cheap problem (compared to the price of a Supercar!) to fix. 

If Subaru do join WRX who do we think would get the drives? Would love for Wiman to get a perma drive, could happen given his time in ARX Subies

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

If Subaru do join WRX who do we think would get the drives? Would love for Wiman to get a perma drive, could happen given his time in ARX Subies

As has been suggested I think an RX Cartel team is a strong possibility. I wonder if they might field four cars in two different teams? Maybe Speed, Sandell, Bakkerud and Doran? 

You'd need to have Sandell or Atkinson in there at the very least, since they have the experience with the engineers and can help settle in the others (Speed's only been with them for a season).

• Agree 1

for the love of god someone give Heikkinen and Nitiss full-time seats...

hoping for OMSE to come back with that Fiesta (which looks very fast, btw) that won in Holjes, along with the Eriksson brothers.

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 1

Topi, Nitiss, Abbring and Wiman all need full-time seats imo

A GRX 2nd team and 2 ES Motosports Skodas would see this done, but I doubt either is likely

Maybe a 2nd Ibiza would open up another Seat (pun intended) as well if they plan to continue with Scheider next year 🤔

• Like 1

Topi is a good driver, but hasn’t really convinced when he started driving the Polo and Audi full time. Topi had one great season when he dominated GRC as a Ford factory driver, but after it seems the momentum went gone. But ofcourse it will be great to see him full time back behind the wheel.

also don’t forget that Wiman, Topi, Nitiss, Abbring have double agendas.

Wiman, Topi and Nitiss also work for SET and are paid to be spotter and guide drivers for the team. Same about Abbring who is being hired and also works for GP Elite. Abbring would have raced at some more rounds, but was prevented due to other (paid) commitments. 

An All-Inkl SEAT might be possible, but I don’t think it will be for Nitiss, if you look back at the 2016 season.

ES has already two Skoda chassis. So it is not unlikely imo. 

SET/GRX already have 3 chassis. A fourth chassis is imo unlikely business wise. They already not had that chassis full time this season. But yeah, if Loeb might do full time WRX, than it becomes a different story.

Now the ARX is folded and the Beetle is out of competition, I might wonder if we will see Tanner Foust back in WRX or maybe full time ERX with a Hedstrom/Marklund Polo like in the “old times”. He has backing from Rockstar and VW and maybe that car he can than also use for NRX. It’s maybe not the best car, but atleast a solid car. 

Edited by JorritVD

If Subaru comes to WRX, Scott Speed is the man they need. He showed great pace this year (with only one year with Subaru), more than Sandell and Atkinson. 

I also hope for a come back of Foust. That could be a really good championship with all these names.

• Like 1

I agree with @JorritVD concerning Topi: he has had some good one-off drives, but didn't really impress when he ran full seasons in the Polo and S1. 

I'm expecting to see Wiman back again next year, though I think more likely for odd drives rather than a full season. 

Would be great to see Foust return, but only if he is in competitive machinery. Last time I saw him in action (at Lydden) the car was plagued with issues. I think the Marklund Polos would be good for the ERX, but they are too outdated to be useful in the WRX now.

I really hope that OMSE make a return to the World Championship in 2020. I think Sebastian Eriksson deserves a full time drive and, if the performance at Hojles last year is anything to go by (and I appreciate that conditions were in their favour), they could be real contenders.