2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

4 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Ah, Titans goes to Trois Rivieres now. Interesting choice.

I thought Titans was all about traditional/real RX stuff and now they go to North America and twice to Hungary instead of Lydden Hill. 

Geen fotobeschrijving beschikbaar.

Apparently Lydden weren't interested in having Titans back next year. Real shame as it was more rallycross to go and watch though, based on the low spectator numbers, I am not entirely surprised that they weren't that keen. 

11 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Apparently Lydden weren't interested in having Titans back next year. Real shame as it was more rallycross to go and watch though, based on the low spectator numbers, I am not entirely surprised that they weren't that keen. 

Its a bit strange to say after a year when the series was still new and unknown, especially as Lydden Hill was also only the second round ever, although with Andrew Jordan a well known BTCC face. I would have checked for another year to too see how it was changed, also now World RX isn't visiting Silverstone, so basically Lydden Hill would have hosted the biggest RX round of the year again. Also I think if you checked the amount of likes the Titans RX Facebook page had last year and now, I think it might be now 10 times more. So overall a big chance there would be a good increase of spectators this year. I think in the end it might still be a question of a reasonable business case, with with Max Pucher in charge, it would be not to bad i guess. 

But also at Estering this year you could see how different the amount of spectators are when it is a World RX round vs a Euro RX round. I think this year with the Euro RX round it was about half compared to 2018 with World RX. And that has to due with the names ofcourse as only Larsson was the only 'big' name out there.

And maybe that is a little bit the problem with f.e. Rallycross in UK, but also for example in the Netherlands, there aren't really big Rallycross names from their home country competing (compared to Block, Loeb, Solberg). In 2019 Tom Coronel competed one round in TitansRX, and with his amount of followers (which are about a million, more than Max Verstappen) you can really promote a series (the couple of brits who competed in Titans RX maybe have 30k followers on Facebook). Also the results of Kevin Abbring in WorldRX already gave a little boost to Rallycross in the Netherlands. Not enough yet, but who knows what will happen in 2020 if he could compete full time with ES and score some results. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

I think if you checked the amount of likes the Titans RX Facebook page had last year and now, I think it might be now 10 times more. So overall a big chance there would be a good increase of spectators this year. I think in the end it might still be a question of a reasonable business case, with with Max Pucher in charge, it would be not to bad i guess. 

Is that because they took over the old Red Bull Global Rallycross Facebook page and renamed it? 

Edited by mats27

40 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Its a bit strange to say after a year when the series was still new and unknown, especially as Lydden Hill was also only the second round ever, although with Andrew Jordan a well known BTCC face. I would have checked for another year to too see how it was changed, also now World RX isn't visiting Silverstone, so basically Lydden Hill would have hosted the biggest RX round of the year again. Also I think if you checked the amount of likes the Titans RX Facebook page had last year and now, I think it might be now 10 times more. So overall a big chance there would be a good increase of spectators this year. I think in the end it might still be a question of a reasonable business case, with with Max Pucher in charge, it would be not to bad i guess.

Lydden (or rather LHMC) are back running the British Championship this year, so that is the factor they are stating... 

...to be brutal though, Titans was poorly promoted last year - by both the series and it's participants in my opinion - and it brought in a minimal crowd. BTRDA (the national clubman series) ran a round at Lydden later in the year and I'm certain that got a better turnout than Titans. 

The move to Canada is daft. It just reinforces the (possibly unfair) opinion that Titans is feeding off the dregs of World Rallycross. As you said in your post, it's not a traditional (nor readily accessible) venue. 

32 minutes ago, mats27 said:

Is that because they took over the old Red Bull Global Rallycross Facebook page and renamed it? 

There was originally a connection between the two series. Max Pucher was (somehow) tied in with GRC, as he was originally intending to launch his new series as "GRC Europe". After GRC collapsed, his new series was then re-branded Titans RX. It seems that he may have managed to snatch the reins for a lot of the GRC social media side of things though (Pucher seems determined to usurp IMG, so I guess there was/is a shared goal with Colin Dyne).

As long as Titans is mainly Titans and there is not a good competitive field of support races it stays a no-go.

2 hours ago, mwoodski said:

The cars are horrible.

Agreed. They are quick (and stupidly loud), but the attempt to make them look like "real" cars hasn't worked at all: would much prefer them all to have identical, decent looking, bodies (like the RX Lites) and being distinguished by their liveries. 

Yes, agree. If they could improve the bodywork and make it look better, it will help for sure. 

On the other side I not really follow RX2 aswell. Supercars and S1600 it’s just cool, because they are real road cars changed to RX cars and have all their own specific engine and concepts. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, JorritVD said:

On the other side I not really follow RX2 aswell. Supercars and S1600 it’s just cool, because they are real road cars changed to RX cars and have all their own specific engine and concepts. 

Yeah, RX2 is my least preferred category. There is some great racing in the class but, like you, I prefer the cars that are based on real road cars*.

* Even though a lot of the race cars are a long way from the production model! 

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announces-world-motor-sport-council-decisions-16

FIA World Rallycross Championship

The Council approved an 11-round calendar for the 2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship including a return to Germany and for the first time the Nürburgring, where a section of the Grand Prix circuit will be used. The second new event will bring an FIA Rallycross Championship competition to Russia and is scheduled for mid-July on a brand-new circuit built inside the Igora Drive motorsport complex, north of Saint Petersburg.

The calendar is approved as follows:

18‐19 April Spain Barcelona
02‐03 May Portugal Montalegre
16‐17 May Belgium Spa Francorchamps
13‐14 June Norway Hell‐Lanke
04‐05 July Sweden Höljes
18‐19 July Russia Saint Petersburg*
01‐02 August Germany Nürburgring
05‐06 September France Lohéac
19-20 September Latvia Riga
30‐31 October United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi
14‐15 November South Africa Cape Town

*Subject to promoter agreement and circuit homologation

In the context of the series’ electrification from 2021, the energy supplier for both the World Rallycross Championship and Junior Rallycross Championship is confirmed as GCK Energy.

11 minutes ago, JamesMcAdam said:

What GCK Energy is ?

Guerlain Chicherit Energy ? :classic_huh:

Seems like it is. At least there will be 2 teams in 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nPiipo said:

Seems like it is. At least there will be 2 teams in 2021.

A 4 driver championship, bring it on xD

Something to read if you are bored and have 5 minutes to spare. I don't think the VW Motorsport Polo gets anywhere near enough credit from rallycross fans so, as it is the off season and I am bored, I wrote about it...

http://fueltopia.co.uk/psrxvw-polo/

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Something to read if you are bored and have 5 minutes to spare. I don't think the VW Motorsport Polo gets anywhere near enough credit from rallycross fans so, as it is the off season and I am bored, I wrote about it...

http://fueltopia.co.uk/psrxvw-polo/

No doubt the VW Motorsport Polo has been the best RX Supercar ever and the team raised RX Supercars to a higher level. But don't forget the chassis comes from a WRC programm where VW invested hundreds of millions of euros in. The engine was also fully developed already in the Beetle with a good amount of budget. So basically you had the best chassis, with a top engine, developed by factory engineers, a huge know how and two top drivers. 

That was really different to how the traditional RX Supercars were build which are build from scratch how OMSE, Hansen and EKS do.

Yes, there was the MINI from Prodrive and the M-Sport Fiesta, but also those have shown potential. Block should have won Global Rallycross in 2014, but also took a lot of wins in the M-Sport Fiesta. The M-Sport Fiesta still went strong this year in the hands of the Loenbro drivers. Also Doran had some awesome events with the MINI. But in the end those cars never had the combination of the best chassis, a top engine, factory engineers, a huge know how and top drivers. Block and Pecoy already showed that they are quicker than team boss Arpin in the Fiesta... (ouch) and the MINI never had top drivers or a good 2.0L engine. 

Maybe saying this you could really say that the PSRX VW effort, but also the Andretti effort in America were programs that were put very well together. What you can also say that the more traditional programs gives a better show. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

No doubt the VW Motorsport Polo has been the best RX Supercar ever and the team raised RX Supercars to a higher level. But don't forget the chassis comes from a WRC programm where VW invested hundreds of millions of euros in. The engine was also fully developed already in the Beetle with a good amount of budget. So basically you had the best chassis, with a top engine, developed by factory engineers, a huge know how and two top drivers. 

That was really different to how the traditional RX Supercars were build which are build from scratch how OMSE, Hansen and EKS do.

Oh yeah, the Volkswagen Motorsport effort certainly didn't fall into the "traditional" approach (I would argue that Hansen are on the very fringe of "traditional" as well). There was certainly a lot of expertise behind the car, but the fact that they built two cars in three months and, with a relatively short development cycle (and a limited budget), then snatched pretty much every record the Championship had deserves some respect (to me anyway). 

Audi and Peugeot dumped a ton of money into their programs - and both built bespoke Works version of their cars - yet neither could match the effort from VW. Prodrive designed a car with a clean sheet of paper (and thinking on the limits of regulations) and they couldn't match it either (though I do concede that might have be a different story with some different drivers in the cars).

Yes, there was the MINI from Prodrive and the M-Sport Fiesta, but also those have shown potential. Block should have won Global Rallycross in 2014, but also took a lot of wins in the M-Sport Fiesta. The M-Sport Fiesta still went strong this year in the hands of the Loenbro drivers. Also Doran had some awesome events with the MINI. But in the end those cars never had the combination of the best chassis, a top engine, factory engineers, a huge know how and top drivers. Block and Pecoy already showed that they are quicker than team boss Arpin in the Fiesta... (ouch) and the MINI never had top drivers or a good 2.0L engine. 

I think the M-Sport Fiesta is a very interesting comparison (and a car I'd like to write about as well). That car looked so potent when Block first ran it in Europe and, if the Hoonigan effort had utilized that rather than the Focus I wonder just how quick they could have made it. 

The MINI was a huge missed opportunity. In the right (development) hands, the car could have been a real competitor with a 2.0L, hopefully one day we'll actually get to see that happen, even if it is just at a National level.

Maybe saying this you could really say that the PSRX VW effort, but also the Andretti effort in America were programs that were put very well together. What you can also say that the more traditional programs gives a better show. 

Yeah, both programs were definitely very well run. I would argue that the success of the Beetle was greatly assisted by the fact that the Andretti program seemed far better run than the other teams. Equally some of the incredible record of the PSRX VW Polo was assisted by the mistakes of rival teams, though I personally think the Beetle faced a lot weaker competition (in terms of teams and drivers). 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Partly true. I think Peugeot dud a large effort with 2 newly build 208 supercars last year and put decent money in it. But well it failed.

• Agree 1

Kristofferrson was also clearly the best driver out there. like, sure, the car was better suited to his style than to Petter's, but Solberg wasn't really better than the rest of the upper echelon of drivers - ie Timmy, Andreas, Loeb & Mattias. 

@tbtstt's photo of Johan's car scraping the barrier is illustrative: 

Volkswagen Polo Johan Kristoffersson PSRXVW Silverstone WRX World Rallycross Championship 2018 Steve White Fueltopia

I have referenced the above photo several times when enthusing about how incredibly precise Johan was behind the wheel of the Volkswagen Motorsport Polo. I watched him drive six laps through turn three at Silverstone from this position and, where other drivers – including his team mate Petter Solberg – were six inches away from the tyres on one lap and twelve inches on the next, Johan was consistently grazing the barrier with the front left corner of his car on every single lap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

Partly true. I think Peugeot dud a large effort with 2 newly build 208 supercars last year and put decent money in it. But well it failed.

Yeah, Peugeot dumped a huge amount of money into their program (I'd wager that they were the biggest spenders of all the manufacturers): which is what made their sudden withdrawal all the more surprising. In the short time they were involved they build a number of cars, and the 2018 "Evolution" 208 was ultimately a disappointment.

18 minutes ago, ianism said:

Kristofferrson was also clearly the best driver out there. like, sure, the car was better suited to his style than to Petter's, but Solberg wasn't really better than the rest of the upper echelon of drivers - ie Timmy, Andreas, Loeb & Mattias. 

@tbtstt's photo of Johan's car scraping the barrier is illustrative: 

Volkswagen Polo Johan Kristoffersson PSRXVW Silverstone WRX World Rallycross Championship 2018 Steve White Fueltopia

Yeah, part of the success can definitely be attributed to having the right driver in the right car. I personally believe the margin between the cars was a lot less in 2018, but Johan was pretty much flawless in that Polo. 

I'd like to have seen my face when I was taking pictures from the above spot. I am pretty sure I was gawping every time I saw Kristoffersson come through this corner and leave a bit more paint on the barrier!

• Like 1

Cars like the Polo are what I really like about motorsport.

Yeah it’s fun to romanticise about the privateers and the underdogs, but what interests me are the supreme efforts of the engineers, drivers and rulebook skimmers to build machines at the limit of technology and human ability.

When I watch WEC I don’t care about LMP2 or GTE-AM all that much, but seeing Porsche, Toyota and Audi slug it out in LMP1-H while skimming through traffic? That’s my jam.

2 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Cars like the Polo are what I really like about motorsport.

Yeah it’s fun to romanticise about the privateers and the underdogs, but what interests me are the supreme efforts of the engineers, drivers and rulebook skimmers to build machines at the limit of technology and human ability

The fact that the Polo doesn't entirely adhere to the above is part of what makes it so impressive to me: yes, it was assembled by an incredibly experienced team, but for various reasons (specifically time and money) they weren't able to push the limits as far as they wanted: and yet the car was still a World beater! 

A money-no-object car from VW would be VERY interesting to see... 

(...though might make the Championship predictable again!)