DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... √ó

2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

37 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

when cars sound like vacuum cleaners. Just takes away all the hype

It is like a song contest without audio ūüėú

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

It is like a song contest without audio ūüėú

except last time I checked drivers didn't win things based on how the car sounds or how loud it is :classic_wink:

On 8/6/2020 at 10:22 AM, tbtstt said:

no Ekstom or Szabo is a shame. they were both better than expected this weekend. 19 cars is a good number. qualifiers with 5 cars are much more interesting than with 4 or less

Edited by ianism

I think the main problem with Projekt-E was the lack of competitors.

More are coming but it's hard to get excited about a 3 car race when one mistake or decent performance (both Block, ironically) kills off any potential of battle.

As for World RX, good first weekend of racing. I was pleasantly surprised that Kristoffersson and Eriksson were still the top dogs, they really put the Hansens in their place pace-wise.

Bakkerud had a rough one but he's still struggling with the Megane.

14 hours ago, ianism said:

no Ekstom or Szabo is a shame. they were both better than expected this weekend. 

I thought it is interesting to see how good Szabo was in the i20. Szabo had hugely impressed me when he made his Supercar debut in an older specification Audi (at Loheac), but I thought he was disappointing in the later specification car last year. I think that later specification car requires a very specific driving style and neither he nor Liam Doran mastered it. 

I wasn't able to watch the qualifiers during the day, but caught up on all the broadcasts in the evenings. Good to see all the classes getting such comprehensive coverage. 

Shame that they couldn't get a couple more electric cars for the inaugural round, as I think a full grid would have made it more watchable. The cars looked a real handful in the wet, but the times appeared to come down on Sunday and the drivers looked like they were wrestling with the cars less. Going to be interesting to see how the Projekt E cars develop over the season (and how quickly they can close the gap to the traditional Supercars).

I was gutted for Bryntesson yesterday as I think he is real a European title contender this year. The level at the top of the Euros looks very high, Evjen and the Dubourgs all recorded some blinding times. I wonder if Eriksson will be back for another round (or two)? 

Absolutely astonishing drive from Johan. I'd like to think his performance this weekend might silence those who still claim his success in '17/'18 was largely thanks to the car. I hope Ekstrom manages to rearrange his plans (and find the budget!) for a full season campaign, as it would be superb to see those two fight it out this year. Glad to see Bakkerud find more speed yesterday, but what a miserable weekend for Liam. Just a brief flash of pace yesterday then the car crapped itself. Disappointing weekend for Gronholm, I really hoped to see him and Johan fighting up front, but Niclas seemed to spend most of yesterday looking at the back of a Seat.  

NB: Anyone watch the "Aftertrack" thing last night? Great idea, but horrible execution. I'd really enjoy a post-race debrief show with a bit of technical insight: that wasn't it!

• Like 1

Forgive the double post, but I have just seen EKS confirm that Ekstrom will be at Kouvola this weekend. 

• Like 2

yeah TImo is one of my favourite drivers but it was clear that he pretty singlehandedly hampered Gronholm's results yesterday. but I mean... he was in front, and drove defensively very well, so fair play. Marklund was also quite good I must say.

it was interesting, actually. very few drivers performed as I expected them to: pretty much just... Munnich: he should be in Euros. Scheider: not spectacular but never bad. he wasn't fast but he's 5th overall after 2 events so *shrugs* Doran: always seems to have mechanical issues, Bakkerud: bad one day, good the next so it averages out I guess. Paasonen: same as Munnich. 

everyone else was either noticeably better or worse than I thought they'd be:

Kristofferson & Ekstrom: wow. Larsson, Szabo & Marklund: very good. 

Timur & Gronholm: poor, but at least Gronholm scored a decent amount of points. Hansens: mostly disappointing, though Kevin was good enough the 2nd day. Eriksson: not great, probably because he's using the Honda. Rokas & Guerlain: expected the Clio to have made more progress (also, how did GCK go from having the best liveries in 2018 and 2019 to the worst in the entire paddock?)

agreed that Projekt E will be better once more cars show up. and once the drivers get used to the torque haha

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ianism said:

it was interesting, actually. very few drivers performed as I expected them to

Definitely agree. As much as I want them to have a poor year, I was surprised at just how out of the mix the Hansen brothers were. I hope GRX have a better weekend in Finland. Finland also could be interesting as I think less than half the field have driven there before. 

12 hours ago, ianism said:

expected the Clio to have made more progress

I don't have much confidence in GFORS and this weekend reinforced that belief. Despite all the claims of improvements over the (extended) off season the Clios still look well off the pace: though at least they didn't break as much as the Megane...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

I don't have much confidence in GFORS and this weekend reinforced that belief. Despite all the claims of improvements over the (extended) off season the Clios still look well off the pace: though at least they didn't break as much as the Megane...

They just don't deserve to do better as they have a good pilot like Abbring in the team but choose to put B-drivers in the cars.

But maybe I just see it this way because I am Dutch ūüėé

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I mean, Baciuska was really good towards the end of last year in the 3rd Megane, so we know he's got it in him to be competitive, but ... wow...

also, does anyone know where the GCK cars were which were supposed to compete at the Euro level? weren't there supposed to be two more Clios?

Edited by ianism

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ianism said:

weren't there supposed to be two more Clios?

Yeah. Kevin Abbring and Philippe Maloigne were originally announced to contest the Euros in a Clio, that plan was later revised to a Euro campaign for Maloigne and select World appearances for Abbring. Philippe wasn't on the entry for Holjes, so I wonder if the plan has changed and/or budget has fallen through. 

The Marklund car is the only one of the Meganes that has looked consistently competitive in the last year and the less said about the Clios the better. Raymond and De Ridder had a wasted season last year (in my opinion), so maybe it is better for Maloigne and Abbring if they end up driving for other teams this year. 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, James McAdam said:

I am pretty sure that Abbring will put the clio to another level.

If it stays together long enough! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, James McAdam said:

I am pretty sure that Abbring will put the clio to another level.

we'll see. Baciuska was not great in it last weekend, and he had a solid end of the season last year in the Megane. though again, he wasn't great in the Skoda at the beginning of the season, the same car in which Abbring had some success with...

And there is the answer, Abbring replaces Baciusca for next round, this to help with the car setup.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, Janneman60 said:

And there is the answer, Abbring replaces Baciusca for next round, this to help with the car setup.

Looking at the results for the weekend, that doesn't seem to have worked out as they planned... 

...I'd be mortified if I was a FORS mechanic. The failure rate of the cars is appalling. Despite all the claims the Clios look no better and the Meganes are going backwards. 

Real shame to see Ekstrom and Larsson drop out on Saturday, but some good racing in the rain today and a fantastic drive from Niclas in the final. 

• Agree 2

Possible tie in WRC back on the cards then? 

Just seen this article being shared on Facebook: 

https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/world-rx/why-gcks-world-rx-driver-shuffle-shouldnt-be-a-mystery/

Some interesting snippets to take from this, specifically the statement from BaciuŇ°ka:¬†

"We have agreed with our sponsors that we couldn’t waste our sponsors’ budget unnecessarily as we can’t see us getting on the podium with this car, so we’ll make a decision about our further plans after this weekend.

‚ÄúThere will be a lot of changes made compared to when I drove in Sweden. The shock absorbers will be replaced and a new engine will be installed. Naturally, the team will do everything they can to make the car go faster.‚ÄĚ

GCK team boss Stéphane Orre told DirtFish

‚ÄúKevin joined us throughout the winter and has been working with the team on developing the car, gathering data and working with the engineers to optimize it,‚Ä̬†

So Abbring is back to try and address all the problems he was supposed to have fixed in the Winter. 

Exactly how many Clio's the team has? Two for WRX with the Boss and Baviusca and two for ERX with Abbring and the French guy (sorry forget his name).

Yes Abbring tested the Clio but to me it looks like nothing is done to the cars as they are just as bad as last year.

It is Abbrings task to address the problems, it is up to the team to fix them.

Not WorldRX, but the Supercar final from the first round of the British Rallycross Championship at Lydden on Monday:

Great race, definitely one of the best Supercar finals I have watched at Lydden recently. 

• Like 3

Forgive the double post, but a few pictures from the opening round of the British Rallycross Championship...

50322805512_bf31ab6596_b.jpg

50322628421_522be42975_b.jpg

50321962608_a52c72e5b9_b.jpg

50321965613_75f2cae8de_b.jpg

50322629046_910ca8d455_b.jpg

50322806597_78c486cf76_b.jpg

50322629981_befd59ee9a_b.jpg

Few more here if anyone is interested in seeing more. 

• Like 4

@tbtstt I might share a few of these on a blog at some point.

You cool with that? I'll leave the watermark on so they're credited.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

@tbtstt I might share a few of these on a blog at some point.

You cool with that? I'll leave the watermark on so they're credited.

Yeah, that's cool with me @PJTierney!

• Like 2