2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

4 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Not seen that, did they say why?

CV19 I assume. They are talking about running a double round at Barcelona instead, so at least the Championship will still comprise the same number of rounds. 

• Thanks 1

Very glad that we have Ekstrom this year. The PSRXVW Polo and EKS S1 are two of my favourites of the WRX-era and I am thoroughly enjoying seeing Johan and Mattias going head-to-head in those cars. Real shame not see Niclas closer, though he does seem to be emerging as the "best of the rest" now. 

Interesting to see tidier driving from Bakkerud and Doran this weekend. Compared to previous weekends there seemed to be less mechanical failures for the GCK Meganes as well. Still a long way from trouble free, but I hope they continue to improve as it could be an encouraging sign for 2021. 

Fingers crossed the damage to the Bakkerud car is fixable before the next round as well (I have read a comment from GCK on FB saying they should have it done), that was a very big smash. 

I wasn't sure if it was the driver or car setup (or perhaps both), but I thought the electric C3 looked far better than the Fiesta. Raymond seemed to be chucking it around like a "normal" Supercar and it looked a lot more controllable on the limit. 

1 minute ago, tbtstt said:

Very glad that we have Ekstrom this year.

Has he committed to full season yet?

He was supposed to only do Sweden but somehow ended up fighting for wins 😄 

1 minute ago, tbtstt said:

electric C3 looked far better than the Fiesta.

It even has DRS 😉 

image.png

image.png

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I wasn't sure if it was the driver or car setup (or perhaps both), but I thought the electric C3 looked far better than the Fiesta. Raymond seemed to be chucking it around like a "normal" Supercar and it looked a lot more controllable on the limit. 

Hmm, I thought they are all the same spaceframe with the same electrical components with 'just' another body on it.

20 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

Hmm, I thought they are all the same spaceframe with the same electrical components with 'just' another body on it.

They aren't spaceframes, they are based on a road car chassis (like the Supercars). All the electric running gear is from STARD and they sell the whole lot as a kit that can be dropped straight into a Supercar or R5 shell. 

The C3 was prepared by Citroen Racing, so it is my assumption that they based it on an R5 C3 shell. 

Coley said a few times during the broadcast that the C3 was still on rally suspension and not set up properly for RX yet.

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Coley said a few times during the broadcast that the C3 was still on rally suspension and not set up properly for RX yet.

And yet it still looked better to me than the STARD prepared Fiesta. Perhaps some of that was down to Raymond though, I am of the opinion he is a seriously underrated driver. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I am rather envious @PJTierney: the British RX round at Lydden was good, but I am gagging to get to a World RX round this year! 

Latvia seems to have handled CV-19 so much better than anyone else. I was really surprised to see spectators in the grandstand for Drift Masters a couple of months ago and the situation is obviously still stable there given that they had the same again for the World RX rounds. 

Nice feature. I think his judgment of the Projekt-E cars is a little unfair, but does echo the thoughts of a lot of rallycross fans. 

If they're as fast as the WRX cars then I would find them rather interesting, especially if there's a transition season where we see ICE vs EV.

Kristoffersson in a Polo vs Raymond in an electric Citroen? That'd be intriguing.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

If they're as fast as the WRX cars then I would find them rather interesting, especially if there's a transition season where we see ICE vs EV.

Kristoffersson in a Polo vs Raymond in an electric Citroen? That'd be intriguing.

Well the implementation plan for electric (prior to CV-19), was to open the World Championship up to petrol and electric entries next year... 

...but I suspect that plan may be changed given how things have unfolded in 2020. 

The electric cars are slower at the moment, but they are still in their infancy and not a million miles behind the pace of their petrol counterparts. I don't think it will be long before they are a lot closer. 

Specifically, there are two specs of E cars, the ones we're seeing are the lower spec.

22 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Specifically, there are two specs of E cars, the ones we're seeing are the lower spec.

Oh really? Thats interesting, so the Projekt-E cars have something in reserve then? 

12 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Oh really? Thats interesting, so the Projekt-E cars have something in reserve then? 

Yes, Coley did detail it in the first round, but i don't recall the specifics now, it was touched on again in Latvia that these are the lower cost versions and thus a little slower, i just don't remember if that's the only difference.

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

But fact is when you are on a circuit the speed is nog such a big thing, the feeling of banging engines in your chest and the sound is.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:06 AM, James McAdam said:

is not end RX for gaming  exemple if real  RX stop codemasters add RX 2018 and RX 2019 ( and 2020  ) for dirt rally 3  and i hope DR 3 come to 2021

On 10/2/2020 at 12:11 PM, tbtstt said:

On 10/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Yes, Coley did detail it in the first round, but i don't recall the specifics now, it was touched on again in Latvia that these are the lower cost versions and thus a little slower, i just don't remember if that's the only difference.

yep, can confirm (via Coley in the world rx streams) these are the ones that are designed to be cheaper in order to entice more manufacturers. they're also a little heavier on purpose in order to separate them more from the future supercar-level electric cars.

from my point of view, the thing is that....

• will more manufacturers actually start taking part? (who knows?)
  • will the next level of electric cars actually happen? (probably?)
  • how does the pandemic affect all this? (probably slows it down a year or two)

I also think the planned transition from combustion engine vehicles to electric was going to be too fast. to go from nothing to replacing all RX2 and supercars with electric vehicles in 3 years is crazy, even without a global pandemic. it just doesn't seem like enough time for manufacturers to see the new tech in action, reach a decision of "let's join" and then design, build and test a whole new electric race car (assuming they don't already have an R5-level vehicle they can just modify) within like 1-2 years that is actually competitive.

• Like 1

On livestream, with Coley and Co yelling loud enough to hide most of the combustion sounds, electric cars look good enough. But on side the electric cars don't come even close to replace those magic sounding combustion engines.

3 hours ago, ianism said:

I also think the planned transition from combustion engine vehicles to electric was going to be too fast. to go from nothing to replacing all RX2 and supercars with electric vehicles in 3 years is crazy

I personally think the more recent transition plan for Supercars was MUCH better than the original one and is the approach they should have opted for in the first place; introduce electric as a standalone and then implement it in such a way that the upper tier of the Championship can be contested using either electric or petrol. 

The original deadline for total transition was unrealistic and I think was catering to the whims of a couple of manufacturers in the hope that others would follow. 

Of course with IMG departing now it remains to be seen how things will proceed with electric. With two of the bigger European teams (i.e. STARD and OMSE) so involved with electric development I would think they will be keen to carry on pushing it in some form. 

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

image.png

Short version: the Clio is rubbish. 

• Haha 1