DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

28 minutes ago, tbtstt said:
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

If they do what they did for the other double-headers it's feasible, by running fewer Qualifiers.

...they have done it at other rounds, but are they going to be working with limited daylight hours that late in the year? 

Absolutely, it's dark before 5pm local time now.

3 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Would like to see it confirmed from a more credible source...

https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/world-rx/world-rxs-nurburgring-finale-canceled

...but it looks like that is it for the 2020 WRX season. 

Of note:

Oliver Eriksson tops the Euro RX Supercars standings with two wins, while Yuri Belevskiy holds first in S1600 with the same record.

As a result of neither series reaching three rounds, it means the seasons did not meet championship status and therefore no champions will be crowned.

Natalie Barratt currently heads the Projekt E standings.

4 minutes ago, James McAdam said:

No snow in WRX 2020. I was expecting an epic final for the championship. But no. :classic_ninja:

I didn't care about the conditions: I am just desperate to see more racing! :classic_laugh: I also wanted to see how Johan fared at Spa (not knowing the track) and how quickly he got his head around Germany. Hopefully we'll get to see that next year. 

Speaking of Johan - and people may disagree - but, despite the loss of rounds, I think the right driver has won WRX this year. 

1 minute ago, James McAdam said:

That is funny. 😄

Barratt wins because she turned up at every weekend... I understand that the ball is only just starting to roll this year, but declaring her a winner in that series seems a bit of a joke. 

British RX is still on track for a double-header weekend at the start of December: but sadly without spectators. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Speaking of Johan - and people may disagree - but, despite the loss of rounds, I think the right driver has won WRX this year. 

Even with a year out most of the field couldn't keep up with him or the Polo, shows how good both are really.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Even with a year out most of the field couldn't keep up with him or the Polo, shows how good both are really.

I am possibly biased, but I hope the performance from Johan this year silences the critics who think the win was more from the car than him. 

48 minutes ago, James McAdam said:

Yeah, we still had a intense year and hard fight between Ekstrom and Johan. Glad we were able to see that in 2020.

Absolutely. I was gutted for Baumanis when it was revealed he didn't have the budget for his 2020 campaign, but as it turns out that might have saved the Championship this year. The fight(s) between Johan and Mattias have been the highlight of this season for me.

Another disappointing year for Niclas. Last year he lost the title due his medical issues and this year he just didn't look as consistently competitive. 

Agree, Niclas was oddly slow looking this year, somewhat similarly, so were the Peugeots, they seemed to find something in the last round, but so odd they were missing the front-running pace from last year.

1 hour ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Agree, Niclas was oddly slow looking this year, somewhat similarly, so were the Peugeots, they seemed to find something in the last round, but so odd they were missing the front-running pace from last year.

Do we have any laptime comparisons between both years? I can't tell if the Peugeots were slower or the Polo was that much faster that it masked any gains the Hansens made.

I didn't see, normally Coley mentions it, but i can't recall him doing so now.

As for to whom was racing against, it wasn't just the Polo they were comparatively uncompetitive against Vs last year IMO.

16 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

GRX changed suspension suppliers this year (to BOS). I don't think they have been as quick getting up to speed as they hoped. Niclas looked like he was really struggling at times during the first RallyX Nordic outing for the BOS car and, although they gained time, I didn't think the car looked anywhere near as far as last year. 

15 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Do we have any laptime comparisons between both years? I can't tell if the Peugeots were slower or the Polo was that much faster that it masked any gains the Hansens made.

You can get all the lap times for each race weekend going back quite a few years, but I don't think any comparison is valid to this season. Pretty much every round has taken place at a different time and, perhaps more crucially, in differing conditions to last year. Any comparison is irrelevant (in my personal opinion anyway). 

14 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

As for to whom was racing against, it wasn't just the Polo they were comparatively uncompetitive against Vs last year IMO.

I am not sure if the rest of the field have actually made significant gains, or if it is that some drivers are in cars they prefer and/or some cars are now with more appropriate drivers (specifically thinking the EKS Audis). 

I personally believe that, with the progression made last year, Johan is on the back foot this year (though I am sure many will disagree with that opinion). For me that is what makes his win this year even more impressive: if it hadn't been for Ekstrom I think Johan would have absolutely walked it (as an aside I also think that Mattias has been an absolutely class act this year). 

Yeah, some very good drivers battled it out last year, bu this year the 2 top aces of this era were back and showed they are just better.

It isn't as good as the drivers title, but I am glad that Ekstrom earned something out of this season. Larsson was far more consistent than I was expecting.