Jump to content Jump to content

2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship • 2021 Nitro Rallycross Championship


Recommended Posts

Disappointed not to be in Loheac this weekend (first round I have missed there since 2013), will be tuning in and keeping my fingers crossed that Johan can have a trouble free weekend. 

He has let the Hansens get a head start, now time to start bringing some points in!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gutted for Johan. TQ and a chance to start gaining on Timmy, then issues in the semi and a missed final. 

I hope JK can prove me wrong, but with a relatively short season (and low entry numbers), I think it is going to be very difficult to stop Timmy now. 

Pity they didn't let Kevin (Hansen) joker earlier in the final: I thought he looked quicker than Timmy. 

Disappointing result for Gronholm as well. Had the early pace, but just didn't have that edge in the second half of the weekend.

Plenty of drama in the Euros. Real shame for JB Dubourg and Bakkerud. Both denied good finishes. Think Munnich is a deserving winner though, so pleasing result there. 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Absolutely gutted for Johan. TQ and a chance to start gaining on Timmy, then issues in the semi and a missed final. 

I hope JK can prove me wrong, but with a relatively short season (and low entry numbers), I think it is going to be very difficult to stop Timmy now. 

Pity they didn't let Kevin (Hansen) joker earlier in the final: I thought he looked quicker than Timmy. 

Disappointing result for Gronholm as well. Had the early pace, but just didn't have that edge in the second half of the weekend.

Plenty of drama in the Euros. Real shame for JB Dubourg and Bakkerud. Both denied good finishes. Think Munnich is a deserving winner though, so pleasing result there. 

Yeah, what a drama weekend at Lohéac. 

I am still crying for Bakkerud. I was so sad in front of my screen. 

Again, what a shame for Johan. Reminds me the lack of luck of Doran last year. Hopefully, he will back stronger. Audi has always a good pace at Riga, so he can make the double shot and come back in the overall standing.

I can't imagine a double Hansen for the last thermic year. I really can't imagine that. :classic_ninja:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team

It's clear to me that JK is the fastest driver of the lot, but every race weekend he's had an issue with the car so far.

He's 28 points off so needs some clean sweeps to catch up.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its testament to Johan's pace this year that we could just as easily been talking about a Johan clean sweep in all three rounds of TQ and race wins, but his biggest competition this year has been from the car itself. A strange place since EKS JC is a group that is usually very on top of their technical game. 

I don't think its impossible for Johan to take the championship still but its going to have to take some perfect weekends for him to do so.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SaltyEnferno said:

Its testament to Johan's pace this year that we could just as easily been talking about a Johan clean sweep in all three rounds of TQ and race wins, but his biggest competition this year has been from the car itself. A strange place since EKS JC is a group that is usually very on top of their technical game. 

I don't think its impossible for Johan to take the championship still but its going to have to take some perfect weekends for him to do so.

Usually on top yes. But this year? Are still the best people working on the car? Is Mathias Ekstrom still strongly involved? Is there sufficient budget to ask for the best car?

A lot of questions and still is can all be bad luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Usually on top yes. But this year? Are still the best people working on the car? Is Mathias Ekstrom still strongly involved? Is there sufficient budget to ask for the best car?

A lot of questions and still is can all be bad luck.

I think we can say that they haven't dipped in management skills; they merged with JC Raceteknik at the start of the year and Joel has been running the team since then. Don't forget, Ekstrom hasn't been involved in the actual race operations of EKS since 2018, in 2019 EKS ran the Monster Energy RX Cartel program and Ekstrom served as a race advisor a few times, and in 2020 EKS was the partner for JC Raceteknik. If anything, they're in a stronger position in terms of management now than in the previous two years. 

There was an interesting choice in terms of the car development where they removed the front fender vents (visible in this picture), which would theoretically lead to the car understeering more as the front wheel arches cannot remove the pressure from that side of the car, unlike the rears. See this post about the Fabia RX from wrcwings.tech for the full details about the fender vents. 

Having said all of this though, I do think this is just really bad luck on Johan's side since Ide's car has been running virtually perfect, and Johan didn't have a car related problem which hampered him in Barcelona (that was a team/personnel error). What's been the advantage of the Hansens this year have been the same as always; that they have two championship contenders in the same team and can afford to play the team game 24/7. 

 

Would've loved to see a Kristoffersson/Bakkerud lineup in EKS JC this year. 😔

 

Edited by SaltyEnferno
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Usually on top yes. But this year? Are still the best people working on the car? Is Mathias Ekstrom still strongly involved? Is there sufficient budget to ask for the best car?

From what I have gathered EKS JC seem to be very strong internally. New build last year and another new chassis coming for next year, so there is clearly funding coming in. I guess my only concern with JC at the moment is that running cars in NRX might stretch the team a little thin. 

Johan is using a 2018+ specification car and Ide is in an identical specification car, so they are fielding the best they have in WRX... 

...it is just unfortunate that Johan seems to be having a bad run. With two drivetrain failures in three races I do wonder if JK is driving the car in such a way that is causing issues? His style doesn't seem massively different to Ekstrom though, and he had minimal issues in the S1 last year. 

18 hours ago, SaltyEnferno said:

Having said all of this though, I do think this is just really bad luck on Johan's side since Ide's car has been running virtually perfect, and Johan didn't have a car related problem which hampered him in Barcelona (that was a team/personnel error). What's been the advantage of the Hansens this year have been the same as always; that they have two championship contenders in the same team and can afford to play the team game 24/7. 

It was my personal belief - and I'm sure that some will disagree with me - that the Peugeot Sport 208 was the best car in terms of raw speed, it was just let down by reliability (especially when they introduced the evo car in 2018). With Hansen Motorsport seemingly conquering those problems, I think they have a very competitive package now. 

As you say, they are very good at playing the team game. I thought that Kevin was clearly faster in the Loheac final, but he did as they team bid and sat behind Timmy. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The full litany of things has happened to Johan this year and I don't even know what could possibly happen next. From the replay you can see a slight spark when Johan's car contact Gronholm's as he moves across, so I think what happened was their wheels must've contacted exactly correctly for the spokes to hit each other, which then threw Johan's car off. Excellent drive from Gronholm to take the victory though. Real shame for Ekstrom, he was doing really well in that Ibiza. A solid round for both the Hansens, they seemed to be struggling a bit for the setup but still got solid points from both.

Let's see what tomorrow's round brings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Niclas fan, but was cursing at the screen when I saw Johan go spiralling off into the barrier! Denied of a chance to make good dent in the Hansen lead in the Championship standing and I personally thought that was avoidable, but that is rallycross. 

No question Gronholm had great speed this weekend though and very impressive stuff (as usual really) from Ekstrom. Solid proof that the Ibiza is rather underrated. Notable that Timo looked quick this weekend as well. 

Very pleased with yesterdays result, a long overdue first S1 victory for Johan. Was hoping that there would be more points taken out of the leaders, but just three points between Kristoffersson and Kevin, twenty to Timmy. Twenty points in four rounds isn't going to be easy to gain, but I still think it is possible. Fingers crossed!
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Twenty points in four rounds isn't going to be easy to gain, but I still think it is possible.

He'll need 4 overall wins and probably 2-3 TQs on top of that. If Timmy podiums every event (which he should) then it's going to be really tough to catch him.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
46 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Interesting (new) part in the ERX/WRX sporting regulations for this season.
image.thumb.png.8e38d7026f8696a116ff0b7ac54e4659.png

So basically, if you're in the FIA series you can't use your livery or association with WRX in Nitro Rallycross.

 

It's all legalese but that's what it looks like to me; an attempt to stop Nitro Rallycross from pulling talent/attention away from World RX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

So basically, if you're in the FIA series you can't use your livery or association with WRX in Nitro Rallycross.

 

It's all legalese but that's what it looks like to me; an attempt to stop Nitro Rallycross from pulling talent/attention away from World RX.

well, i also ready that FIA (or its nominee) can use its competitiors cars in its games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
14 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

well, i also ready that FIA (or its nominee) can use its competitiors cars in its games. 

That's pretty standard. If you have (or might have in the future*) an official game you need to have permission to use the official cars. 

For DiRT Rally 2.0 that was all dealt with through the individual manufacturers I believe, which is why there's no Skoda or Hyundai rallycross cars in the game.

 

 

* Standard disclaimer: I'm not "dropping hints" or anything, I legit don't know what WRX is planning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PJTierney said:

He'll need 4 overall wins and probably 2-3 TQs on top of that. If Timmy podiums every event (which he should) then it's going to be really tough to catch him.

Yeah it is possible but not going to be easy, even for Johan!

Might need to get Mattias back to run interference again...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, tbtstt said:

I am a Niclas fan, but was cursing at the screen when I saw Johan go spiralling off into the barrier! Denied of a chance to make good dent in the Hansen lead in the Championship standing and I personally thought that was avoidable, but that is rallycross. 

It was avoidable (and you could see them give each other space in the second final) but it was such a freak occurrence, side by side contact like that very very rarely has the wheels touch on the spokes enough to launch the other car.

Anyways, after 5 rounds in I think I have some thoughts on the commentary and production that I want to talk about now.

Some good things out of the way first:

  • Smooth production and graphic choices, the scoreboard is easy to display, I like how the Joker lap indicator is merged into a highlighting of the leaderboard name which is slicker but perhaps not as immediately clear as the previous checkmark beside the names.
  • Use of drones to get corners is a nice addition to the camera angles we have
  • There seems to be slightly less broadcast related delays/dead time
  • Trackside interviews seem slightly better although that's partially because both Ben Constanduros and Molly Petit are better interviewers than Neil Cole is. 

Now some of my personal negative points I've picked up:

  • Commentary is mismatched in energy level/speaking style all the time: Martin Haven has good emphasis on when to be excited and when to let the moment breathe, albeit always seemed a little down on energy and spoke slightly slower than I felt is optimal for lead commentary in Rallycross (but probably great for Endurance which is where he comes from).
  • Nick Fellows to my knowledge, has more of an Action sports background (skiing, snowboarding) but has done the Thoroughbred Grand Prix (Historic Formula One) but in my opinion he's just not suited for commentating Rallycross. Constantly slow on describing actual action (who's leading into turn x, who's slow/putting pressure, what the joker merge is like) and has some strange emphasis at times with his voice. Has enough of a gravely voice that I just think of him as Gravel guy now 😄. The strength of Coley's commentary was twofold: speed while retaining detail, and his level of personal interaction with the drivers and the sport. 
  • I love Hal for his journalistic work and he knows more about Rallycross than I ever will, but I think he commentates the way that a news reporter delivers a frantic "live on the location" report. Less is more sometimes. Watching some of the RallyX Nordic coverage I think that Hal strikes a better balance there, but that's also because Coley's turn by turn commentary is stronger than the other two in World RX. 

Overall, I think the broadcast has improved on the production values but my enthusiasm for watching the live rounds has definitely diminished a bit, and not just because Coley and Rooke are gone from the broadcast. 

Edited by SaltyEnferno
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team

I'd agree with all that. Production has improved (and it's on Red Bull TV which is nice) but commentary's not sitting right. It's hard to replace Coley/Rooke, they were perfect for this.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'd agree with all that. Production has improved (and it's on Red Bull TV which is nice) but commentary's not sitting right. It's hard to replace Coley/Rooke, they were perfect for this.

I am struggling with Nick Fellows. Don't mind the passionate commentary, but he is making a lot of little errors, which really irked me during the Riga coverage. 

I do recall Andrew Coley making a few blunders in the start (with driver names and missing "the bigger picture"), but maybe Nick should calm down a little bit and focus on the details.

Hal is the only reason I haven't muted the commentary, as he is a wealth of information. Hopefully Nick will improve or they will replace him (bring back Dan Rooke!).

With regards to the drone shots I agree they are very cool, but I think they are being a bit overused. I guess someone has been watching the RallyX Nordic coverage but, in my personal opinion, they utilised those shots more sparingly and which made them much more effective. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship • 2021 Nitro Rallycross Championship

Here's a quick question for you all, which of the current Supercars do you think is the fastest? For me, its probably the Subarus and that's solely because they're the last remaining factory effort left in the game. The latest iteration of the WRXs have fender vents, more rear travel, and some better front aero as well which is evidence of their continued evolutions. I just don't think the other teams have the resources to compete in terms of continued developments. Although, I do think the VW Motorsports Polo probably has the edge on drivability and it has the widest operating window for conditions.

(I swear if in Launch Control I hear Lance going "we're a SMALL team going up against the biggest companies in the world" again....)

Edited by SaltyEnferno
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...