Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship

6 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

What was the STARD car like on-track?

Very quick in the right hands.

I wasn't too sure about it in the morning, as a lot of the drivers were either press or non-rallycross (Matt Neal was one of the first out on track). Most of them were only getting three or four laps in the car, so they were (understandably) pretty tentative initially and only really got decent speed on the last lap. 

Manfred Stohl took the car out before lunchtime and that is when it got a lot more interesting to watch. I had the impression (from both Projekt E TV coverage and the morning viewing) that car was a bit stiff to drive. Stohl was obviously a lot more comfortable in it and understood how to effectively use the power. The car looked as fluid in his hands as any petrol Supercar I have seen and he was doing some beautiful exits from North Bend: sliding, on the power and laying down black lines...

51133064848_1383a72262_b.jpg

They did some launch comparisons with Andy Scott (I think Chris Hoy was driving the STARD for that) and both cars were neck-and-neck up to turn one. Makes me think that mixing electric with the petrol Supercars might actually prove pretty interesting. Sadly I didn't see any lap timing for the day, as I would like to see how electric compared with petrol on a full lap...

...especially as one of the last drivers out on the day was Liam Doran. Apparently it was his first time in an electric car but, in standard Liam style, he trundled out of the paddock and then just sent it. It wasn't the most sideways I have seen him coming into Paddock, but he was immediately drifting the Fiesta and I actually thought it looked a bit more manic than a petrol Supercar on the limit (I guess the power delivery is a bit more snappy). 

The sound was - predictably I guess - the only real negative. Modern Supercars typically aren't that loud, but I bloody love the crackle of ALS and that was of course absent. That said, there was quite a lot of screeching tyres and the whine of electric wasn't as irritating as I thought it was going to be. I can't see me loving an electric Supercar as much as I do the petrol equivalent, but I think the racing could still be spectacular with a field full of these. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Also, I think the 81 was Andrew Coley 🙂 

Was hard to tell: drivers seemed to be moving between the buggies throughout the day!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship
  • Social Media & Community Team
30 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Revised 2021 calendar now up:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10759/montalegre-returns-on-revised-calendar

No Norway, season now ends in Portugal.

Aw Hell, no 😞 

imagesource.php?image=15139.png&maxwidth

Also, with the Monster branding gone WRX is looking a little more sterile/corporate. That shouldn't come across in the racing but let's see how things play out. I kind of miss the wild green from before.

• Agree 2
On 5/12/2021 at 10:02 AM, PJTierney said:

Aw Hell, no 😞 

Real shame to see Hell gone, that and Holjes are two of my absolute favourites, plus I was really hoping that the date for Spa would move so it wouldn't clash with RallyLegend. 

While we are waiting for World Rallycross news few snaps from the first round of the BTRDA Rallycross Championship at Lydden a few weeks ago: 

51186726051_0421bcb173_b.jpg

51187504254_b9b697092d_b.jpg

51186030172_5d2635c19b_b.jpg

51186726481_63bca9f31f_b.jpg

First British Championship round at Lydden at the end of the month. Hoping for decent entry numbers there, especially in the Supercar class, so it should be a good weekend. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like driver announcements coming this week.

First up is Kevin Hansen, and curiously no confirmation on Timmy competing.

image.png

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Looks like driver announcements coming this week.

First up is Kevin Hansen, and curiously no confirmation on Timmy competing.

Timmy will be there. This way they post two times and total get more communication. 

Btw, Ide and Scheider already confirmed ealier this year they will compete. But as things changed, I wonder if their plans also changed.

---------------

This article is more interesting: https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/nitro-rallycross-reveals-first-teams-for-2022-electric-class/

• Agree 1

Timmy Hansen (unsurprisingly) confirmed in a second Hansen car today. Slowly starting to see the numbers rise for WRX this year, lets hope there is enough to give us a decent season. 

Another trip to Lydden at the end of last month, this time for the first two rounds of the 5 Nations British Championship. Not the biggest entry in Supercar, but a very tight field at a couple of great finals, plus some really good racing in a lot of the other classes. Few snaps...

51241680179_0d3bf48c62_b.jpg

51241113453_5cd182e9f7_b.jpg

51241968315_f43a6e9ca8_b.jpg

51241685804_df549f75da_b.jpg

51241690279_4512ba0e79_b.jpg

51241692594_6001dc6317_b.jpg

51240287707_24a9e6b3d1_b.jpg

...with more pictures here if you are bored!

• Like 2
On 6/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, PJTierney said:

That dust shadow 🙂 

image.png

Sure there is a rule that you are better off taking pictures with the sun behind you, but I like shooting towards the sun as it backlights the subject and can make for some cool lighting effects. 

23 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Sure there is a rule that you are better off taking pictures with the sun behind you, but I like shooting towards the sun as it backlights the subject and can make for some cool lighting effects. 

Agreed, I took this for F1 😉 

53ae8f67-c48a-486d-addb-c0aed39f9017_rw_

• Haha 2

Guess he couldn't secure the VW then, though having a car that's being actively developed is a big plus 🙂 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Guess he couldn't secure the VW then, though having a car that's being actively developed is a big plus 🙂 

The official confirmation of this has massively ramped up my enthusiasm for the 2021 WRX season. Chance to silence all the "it was only the car..." criticism of Johan and another chance to see the EKS/JC S1 in action: double win!

• Like 2

Any chance of Ekstrom coming back, or was that a one-off last year that snowballed once he started winning?

41 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Any chance of Ekstrom coming back, or was that a one-off last year that snowballed once he started winning?

Wouldn't rule a one off outing out, but I think he has too much other stuff on his plate for WRX this year. The late departure of Baumanis started the ball rolling last year and, as you say, they carried on that momentum when Ekstrom started winning: good thing really as I think Kristoffersson would have walked it otherwise. 

I'd say the return of the RX Cartel looks unlikely for 2021. 

Three Munnich Ibiza entered at Barcelona...

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10773/three-all-inkl-com-münnich-motorsport-seats

...and Juha Rytkonen will drive at Barcelona, with more rounds (and possibly even a full World RX campaign) to come: 

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10772/flying-finn-rytkönen-back-for

Don't think they are going to be beating any records with the entry this year, but hopefully they can get over a dozen permanent entries for the season.