Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

2021 FIA World Rallycross Championship

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

Still, 34 cars and a 2 days weekend isn't very entertaining to visit.

Any livestream available?

Unknown at the moment. Think the new promoter still has a lot of work to do: at least they know they have some cars on the grid now though! 

In previous years I would have said that entry number was an absolute disaster but, in the current climate, it isn't that bad. 

Seven permanent entries certainly isn't ideal, but I think five of those are strong Championship contenders, so it could be an interesting season. 

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/world-rx/i/registeration-proccess/

Your thoughts on that ?

I mean, to me, it sounds good if it lets me to have access to inside videos, interview, special contents, more live coverage, a bit like what we had during the magic weekend in 2020 with Andrew & Molly.

The WRC app is cool. I woud love to have a WRX one.

I don't care about paying for this if, and only if, the content is here.

The absence of Andrew is still a pain for me. I am pretty sure that it is a cool format for him.

• Social Media & Community Team

I hope it's still going to be available on free-to-air television, as I personally can't justify spending money to watch it (I don't even pay to watch F1 as there's free highlights on TV in the evenings).

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I hope it's still going to be available on free-to-air television, as I personally can't justify spending money to watch it (I don't even pay to watch F1 as there's free highlights on TV in the evenings).

I think there will be free highlights broadcast elsewhere. Like WRC I am happy to pay if the cost is justified by decent extra content. So that doesn't mean **** like Aftertrack...

RX-Presenting-Team-16x9-_c4f98_f_1400x78

New commentary team announced. Given the silence from the Championship on the subject, I was expecting a complete set of fresh faces, so I am pleased to see the return of a couple of names; Hal is obviously very knowledgeable and I thought Molly was decent during the RallyX Nordic coverage.

Martin Haven is the only one of the new names I know (and I think he is good), so I shall reserve judgment on the rest of them until I have seen them in action...

...obviously disappointed that Andrew Coley isn't back, especially when they have retained Neil Cole. Always found him (Cole) to be a thoroughly underwhelming presenter and surprised to see him kept.

Neil's better as a paddock reporter than a lead commentator, and that's the role he's doing here. Nice guy, massive DR2 fan.

WRX won't be the same without Coley, but Haven is rather good (big in endurance racing). Not as shouty though.

• Agree 2

DiRT Rally what now? 😛 

Codies do love Coley though, that's for sure 😉 

• Like 2

Gah, ***, WRC's pay-for coverage isn't good, and whilst i've had it good for WRX the last few years with full live coverage on youtube, i really can't see subjecting myself to the awful **** that is WRC promoters coverage and billing system again - and what the heck? no Andrew Coley?!!! why?!!!

17 hours ago, JamesMcAdam1987 said:

Hopefully, we will see Andrew Coley back for commenting the FIA WRX section of Dirt Rally 3. Isn't it @PJTierney ?

Wait, Am I an eternal dreamer ? 😬

Red Bull in indirect promoter of WRC, ERC, WRX, ERX, but also NRX. And Coley happens to be the voice at NRX now 😉 so would be perfect to get those 5 championships somehow in one game now 😮 

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So first round of 2021 in the history books, what did we all think? (Assuming anyone else here watched it! 😄)

For the most part I thought the coverage was pretty decent. Solid camera work and presentation (aside from the absence of tyre allocation graphics, hope they bring that back), weakest points had to be the feed dropping out for the first World semi and some inconsistencies from the commentary team(s). I hope that becomes less of an issue as the new (to rallycross) commentators learn the sport and drivers.

I didn't get to watch all of the Friday races, but didn't see Neil Cole in any of the coverage I watched so that was an added bonus.

Disappointed for Johan. That win should have been his and, although the rules were clearly broken, shame to see him put on the back foot through no fault of his own... that aside he looks to have some good speed in the Audi already. Gutted for Gronholm as well, was looking forward to seeing him in the final, definitely not the start to the Championship he wanted. Good showing from Abbring, despite (predictiably) a plethora of car issues.

Not to sure on the noise, but actually some good action from RX2e.

8 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

So first round of 2021 in the history books, what did we all think? (Assuming anyone else here watched it! 😄)

For the most part I thought the coverage was pretty decent. Solid camera work and presentation (aside from the absence of tyre allocation graphics, hope they bring that back), weakest points had to be the feed dropping out for the first World semi and some inconsistencies from the commentary team(s). I hope that becomes less of an issue as the new (to rallycross) commentators learn the sport and drivers.

I didn't get to watch all of the Friday races, but didn't see Neil Cole in any of the coverage I watched so that was an added bonus.

Disappointed for Johan. That win should have been his and, although the rules were clearly broken, shame to see him put on the back foot through no fault of his own... that aside he looks to have some good speed in the Audi already. Gutted for Gronholm as well, was looking forward to seeing him in the final, definitely not the start to the Championship he wanted. Good showing from Abbring, despite (predictiably) a plethora of car issues.

Not to sure on the noise, but actually some good action from RX2e.

I quite agree 100% of what you've just said @tbtstt

Neil will start his season with the Loheac event, and then the rest of the season.

Even if I am not fan of Johan, I reckon he is one of the most greatest driver I have ever seen. His ability to adapt the car is such impressing. I feel sorry for him not to have see him winning it and really bored about the classic Hansen's overreacting moment. 

But this adds some real good expectations for the rest of the season. I already look forward seeing Holjes. 🙂

Quite happy overall by this new kind of coverage. The onboard section is awesome. The camera angles are so awesome.

I carry on thinking that it would have fit 100% for Andrew Coley and Dan Rooke. But, we can't have what we always dream of.

Red Bull TV was a good free solution for UK residents, as it meant the Final was in HD for once.

• Graphics were good, nice and clean.

• Broadcast flow was good, there was almost no gap between each race, and they packed the Finals Show all into an hour.

• Commentators were okay. Haven's more of an endurance guy (the exact opposite of rallycross) but he'll pick it up. The lack of Coley does hurt though.

• WRX's social output was rather poor, consisting almost entirely of results graphics. No real photos or clips of note were shared, rather disappointing.
    I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it the way they do (probably can't share video during the TV broadcast), but in all fairness I feel I did a better job sharing the esports action back when we had the World Series.

• The racing itself was good though, but I get the sense that Kristoffersson is much faster than the rest of the field, and would have walked it had he gotten front row starts.

I think if you're the three non-Johan championship contenders (Timmy, Kevin and Niclas), you're walking away from this weekend thanking your lucky stars that Johan got the Q1 DSQ and isn't walking away from this weekend with a perfect score. I know Timmy was talking about being lucky from the race weekend because of this in the Red Bull TV Post show too, and I'm sure they'll notice in the post race data that Johan had multiple fastest laps of the day (or weekend? couldn't tell with the graphics on the broadcast) during his semi-final and the final. Big big disappointment for Gronholm, that's another poor start to his championship hopes.

But man, I'm looking at the rest of the calendar and its hard to say that anyone is going to be beating Johan for this year's title. We've got the following:

• Holjes: Johan won 17, 18, and 20 R1 (the S1 under Ekstrom won in 20 R2). Timmy won on the road in 15 but got a DSQ for his push. 
  • Loheac: Johan won 16, 17, and 18 (but 18 was less of a Johan win and more of an EKS loss from bad strategy). Timmy won in 19. 
  • Riga doubleheader: Won 17, 18, 20 R1. Timmy won in 19. The S1 under Ekstrom won R2. 
  • Spa-Francorchamps: None of the contenders have won here, but a few things of note: at least from what's been mentioned on the broadcast in 19 and 20, GRX-SET's i20 and EKS JC's S1's are quite strong here, but the 208 seems to struggle a bit in the loose stuff without consistent grip levels.
  • Montalegre: Won in 15, 18, the S1 under Ekstrom won in 17 (albeit with an older generation S1).
  • Nurburgring: New track so no comments there.

The new team adjustment period would be a concern for Johan and EKS JC but I think on pace alone, this weekend would've dispelled any concerns about that. There was obviously that error on the team's part in Q1 but that's plainly a one off error. There's going to have to be some serious work for the other teams to make sure the pace is there, especially for the doubleheaders too.

Edited by SaltyEnferno

Sad to see no Coley & Rook, anyone know what happened?  Did the resulting commentary team end up looking like the back-up commentators the BBC used to do where it was clear they don't know the sport?

Still not going to pay for it, that's why adverts exist, sucks as it's the only real motorsport i've watched in the last few years, now, nothing 😞

9 hours ago, JamesMcAdam1987 said:

Quite happy overall by this new kind of coverage. The onboard section is awesome. The camera angles are so awesome.

I thought some of the camera work was good. Was chuckling that they were using a spot I loved taking pictures at in the past!

8 hours ago, PJTierney said:
  • The racing itself was good though, but I get the sense that Kristoffersson is much faster than the rest of the field, and would have walked it had he gotten front row starts.

Yeah, first time out in the car with - from what I can gather - minimal testing. 208's have been strong in Barcelona in the past and Johan was still putting fastest laps on them.

3 hours ago, SaltyEnferno said:

But man, I'm looking at the rest of the calendar and its hard to say that anyone is going to be beating Johan for this year's title. We've got the following:

• Holjes: Johan won 17, 18, and 20 R1 (the S1 under Ekstrom won in 20 R2). Timmy won on the road in 15 but got a DSQ for his push. 
  • Loheac: Johan won 16, 17, and 18 (but 18 was less of a Johan win and more of an EKS loss from bad strategy). Timmy won in 19. 
  • Riga doubleheader: Won 17, 18, 20 R1. Timmy won in 19. The S1 under Ekstrom won R2. 
  • Spa-Francorchamps: None of the contenders have won here, but a few things of note: at least from what's been mentioned on the broadcast in 19 and 20, GRX-SET's i20 and EKS JC's S1's are quite strong here, but the 208 seems to struggle a bit in the loose stuff without consistent grip levels.
  • Montalegre: Won in 15, 18, the S1 under Ekstrom won in 17 (albeit with an older generation S1).
  • Nurburgring: New track so no comments there.

The new team adjustment period would be a concern for Johan and EKS JC but I think on pace alone, this weekend would've dispelled any concerns about that. There was obviously that error on the team's part in Q1 but that's plainly a one off error. There's going to have to be some serious work for the other teams to make sure the pace is there, especially for the doubleheaders too.

Good stat work! Johan has recent Supercar experience at Holjes as well, I think the next round could be rather interesting. 

1 hour ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Sad to see no Coley & Rook, anyone know what happened?  Did the resulting commentary team end up looking like the back-up commentators the BBC used to do where it was clear they don't know the sport?

Er, not exactly. The WEC chap is enthusiastic enough, though needs to learn the details. Hal (Ridge) has forgotten more about rallycross then most people know (and that includes Andrew Coley). 

Molly is excellent, think she proved herself during the RallyX Nordic coverage and the same applies here as well. Plus the coverage had the added bonus of not having Neil Cole (shame he is still joining the team later in the season: thought we got shot of him!). 

Weakest link is the commentary team doing the supporting classes. Sure they will improve once they learn the sport/drivers though. I am huge Coley fan, but a lot of people seem to forget he wasn't that clued up when he started. 

• Like 2