Jump to content Jump to content

Rallycross: (World RX, Nitro RX & More)


tbtstt
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well yes, and no.  The commentators even said there are a few other tracks where they merge like that - there is generally no issue so long as everyone knows what lap they're on.

They have spotters, and usually good lap counters, but for whatever reason, they had massive lap counting issues the whole race meet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a genuine mistake from Andreas, as others have said he wasn’t the only one to make that mistake, but it had the worst consequences. I think the issue could be partially solved if there was a temporary barrier outside the corner so that they couldn’t go straight on after the race had finished. I hope the Peugeot can be repaired as it looked like it had sustained heavy rollcage and chassis damage. It was heartbreaking watching Kevin helping Timmy out of the car, especially as someone who also competes in motorsport with their family.

 

As soon as I saw those if kerbs I knew someone was going to have an accident on them. It was a shame to see Bennet go over, but I agree that he is definitely out of his depth here. Overall not a great start to the championship this weekend. I was out watching other motorsportso I didn’t see the finals live, but I thought Niclas’ penalty seemed a little harsh, and I’m a fan of Kevin

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, RallyDriven said:

***** what was bakkerud thinking?! He was never making it around that corner even if Timmy wasn’t there! I was quite a big fan of Andreas but he’s really disappointed me this weekend with the comments to Kevin Hansen and now this. Hope they’re both OK, but I can’t see either cars going again today.

 

@RallyDriven Which comments from Bakkerud to Kevin Hansen are you refering to ?

 

What a crazy and weird Abu Dhabi RX weekend. So much thoughts in my mind between sadness and enjoyable things.

Sadness

- The track

- Bennett

- Bakkerud's behaviour

- Gronholm vs Hansen's battle concludes with that unecessary move from Gronholm.

- GCK's starts...

- Those orange things in each curve.

Enjoyable :

- What a pleasure to see the World RX back.

- Competition is here and makes me feel great for this year.

- Hyundaï are here.

- Baumanis is here.

- Szabo is here.

- The Skoda looks promising.

- The Ibiza is here !

Edited by JamesMcAdam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesMcAdam said:

@RallyDriven Which comments from Bakkerud to Kevin Hansen are you refering to ?

I think that he is talking about the press conference from Friday @JamesMcAdam
 

A comment about bumpers and the next time they were in the cars Andreas ploughed into Timmy! As I said in my previous post I have never really warmed to Timmy and, although it was a rubbish way for his weekend to end (and I wouldn't want to see him injured), it's hard to feel that sympathetic for him when he torpedoed that Megane at Estering last year.

I thought there was some smart driving from Liam, the move he pulled on Timerzyanov in the semi-final was great. Let's hope it lasts.


The landing from the jump looked really hard on the cars. I know there was a clip of Bennett nosing in on the landing during the press day, so I guess they had made some changes, but it still looked pretty rough.

I read some interesting comments with regards to the track design over the weekend, I didn't know there was more than one company involved in the design of the various "new" rallycross tracks, would explain the difference in quality between some of them!

Edited by tbtstt
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tbtstt said:

A comment about bumpers and the next time they were in the cars Andreas ploughed into Timmy! As I said in my previous post I have never really warmed to Timmy and, although it was a rubbish way for his weekend to end (and I wouldn't want to see him injured), it's hard to feel that sympathetic for him when he torpedoed that Megane at Estering last year.

I thought there was some smart driving from Liam, the move he pulled on Timerzyanov in the semi-final was great. Let's hope it lasts.


The landing from the jump looked really hard on the cars. I know there was a clip of Bennett nosing in on the landing during the press day, so I guess they had made some changes, but it still looked pretty rough.

I read some interesting comments with regards to the track design over the weekend, I didn't know there was more than one company involved in the design of the various "new" rallycross tracks, would explain the difference in quality between some of them!

Wah.. that is not really good from him.

This was not a really good weekend for him. And he started the meeting with a weird joke during the begining press conf last thursday. Really weird from Bakkerud.

Edited by JamesMcAdam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought his comments about Kevin and his bumper were stupid before his incident with Timmy. It was hardly a big hit, and even if you are running on a budget you’ve got to expect some body damage over the course of the weekend. Yes it’s annoying to happen early on, but you can’t get pissy every time someone gives you a tap. Maybe get angry if they’re doing it constantly, but once isnt really an issue 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

I thought his comments about Kevin and his bumper were stupid before his incident with Timmy. It was hardly a big hit, and even if you are running on a budget you’ve got to expect some body damage over the course of the weekend. Yes it’s annoying to happen early on, but you can’t get pissy every time someone gives you a tap. Maybe get angry if they’re doing it constantly, but once isnt really an issue 

Yeah, especially not if you're a driver who hasn't been shy about trading paint in the past...

Edited by tbtstt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, the first weekend of World RX 2019 has passed, and pretty much I enjoyed it. Day 1 (friday) was quite calm, while day 2 (saturday) was a bit to exciting.

Track

I think the track is pretty good. If the track would be in the area of Hell, than everyone would loved it. So it is pretty much how you see it. Also quite some people were attending the event on Saturday. Though I not see anything rallycross potential yet. Not even a local 'top' driver rented a seat, so yeah.

Yes, the track has its flaws, and that are the stupid orange curbs. The joker merge itself is good i think, the problem is that the finish line is there as well and therefore influence the race on two sides, (1) the joker tactics (its faster to take the normal lap in the last lap) and (2) can cause crashes when someone think its the last lap. If the finish line would be after the first hairpin, the crash of Bakkerud/Hansen would never happened.

I think its fair that Bakkerud got a DQ from the event, though he pretty much couldn't do much about it to be confused about it (I think he had a lot of pressure with getting a programm together), and also a lot of others did.  

I think if they move the finish line to a different position, this problem will be solved.

The **** curbs, that made Bennett role and made Nitiss fly and made some punctures, is a bigger concern. It created some spectacular images, but I think especially Nitiss had been made very unlucky with punctures and flying. He had great speed and possible could had been on the podium. 

Drivers

Audi
Szabo - made a good impression, i think his lack of experience resulted in being next to the podium. But he was the most consistent of the Audi drivers imo.
Doran - improved with every session. At the right moment he was there and snathed a podium. 
Bakkerud - had a solid friday, and started well in Q3 as well till the incident. The speed is there i think, but I think the incident will hunt him the rest of the season and will not get the title.

Ford
Pal Try - One word 'legend' 😛 
Baumanis - Imo he was to much aggresive and lacked respect. In the final he missed the first corner as Szabo, but he took completly advanytage of it. The new STARD MK8 Fiesta seems better than the OMSE version of last year. Still could give some suprises during the season.

Hyundai
Timerzyanov - Cas has speed. Just if I see him driving, i just question myself how he ever became european champion. 
Grönholm - Car has speed, Grönhol has speed. He had some luck on his side in the semi-final. Should had been more patient and tactical in the final. If he keeps this up, he can fight for the title. 
Nitiss - Unlucky weekend where he showed he had speed for sure to go for a podium. Hope he gets more weekends, but I understood he will just do three events. 

MINI
Bennett - Not the weekend for him. 

Peugeot
Timmy - Speed and title contender. Unfortunate Bakkerud crashed into him.
Kevin - Solid, but it seemed he was full under pressure when Grönholm was behind him in the final. Hope the event gave him confidence.

Renault
Chicherit - A little bit of a quiet weekend. Was he actually there? Need to step up his game if he wants to fight for the title.
Marklund - Team leader at the moment. Unlucky in the semis, although he maybe was partially to blame to push Nitiss on the curb. Difficult to judge.
De Ridder - Needs time.
Raymond - Despite some issues with the car, i think he could make some suprises during the year.

SEAT
Scheider - Impressive showing overall. unfortunate a technical issue prevented him from the podium. But he could be an outsider for the title if he and the team can find a bit more speed and can be consistent during the season.

Skoda
Baciuška - Best supercar rookie. Car was not as fast as the top guys. That could be be partially Rokas, but also part the Fabia. Unfortunate an technical issue prevented him to be able to fight for a final spot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I thought the track was ok. The merge wasn’t too bad, although I think they were lucky there were no collisions from merging (not including Hansen/bakkerud. There were a few close calls other than that. I think realistically the two most important things they need for next time is a proper off road section and something to stop them going straight on after the finish, either a different finishing position or a barrier across that part of the track

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Bakkerud - had a solid friday, and started well in Q3 as well till the incident. The speed is there i think, but I think the incident will hunt him the rest of the season and will not get the title.

Very good analysis @JorritVD

And +1 for Bakkerud. Too much pression and he strangely seems to not resist to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kevin Hansen looks like he can challenge his brother. he's not quite as quick, but he's closer than almost everyone else in the championship. I think they will both be top-3 at the end of the season, unless they get as unlucky as Timmy was last year....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ianism said:

Kevin Hansen looks like he can challenge his brother. he's not quite as quick, but he's closer than almost everyone else in the championship. I think they will both be top-3 at the end of the season, unless they get as unlucky as Timmy was last year....

I hope Kevin does well this year, as he has frequently found himself in inferior machinery the last couple of years. 

I thought the 208 was fastest car on track last year, it just wasn't reliable. If they have resolved the reliability issues then the Hansen MJP cars are going to be the ones to beat this year, just hope they don't run away with it. Spain should be very interesting as I think it will give a better gauge as to the relative performance of all the teams.

Edited by tbtstt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Second British Rallycross round of the year on Lydden Monday, entry looks pretty decent so looking forward to that. 


PS: Awesome choice of avatar image @b0yc1e!

I'll have to keep a look out, The Retro rallycross is looking stronger than ever this year as well, can't beat a bit of nostalgia. (As for the avatar, got to give respect were its due,the bloke was a nutter behind the wheel and a genius in the workshop)

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, b0yc1e said:

I'll have to keep a look out, The Retro rallycross is looking stronger than ever this year as well, can't beat a bit of nostalgia. (As for the avatar, got to give respect were its due,the bloke was a nutter behind the wheel and a genius in the workshop)

Yeah, the Retros took a while to get going at Silverstone, but the semi-finals and finals were great. The entry looks really solid again at Lydden, Liam (Doran) is out in the Retros this time so I am hoping we get to some sideways antics!

110% agree with you: it's a shame that Martin is most known to the mainstream for "that" incident at Finland, but he was hugely talented on and off the track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, the Retros took a while to get going at Silverstone, but the semi-finals and finals were great. The entry looks really solid again at Lydden, Liam (Doran) is out in the Retros this time so I am hoping we get to some sideways antics!

110% agree with you: it's a shame that Martin is most known to the mainstream for "that" incident at Finland, but he was hugely talented on and off the track. 

You say liam is doing retro, don't suppose you know if he's driving Rosie ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, b0yc1e said:

Thats great news, im so glad they did a refit !

Yeah, I have lost track of how many times it has been nailed back together now. I am not holding my breath that it's going to run for the whole day, but fingers crossed it lasts!

Steve Harris had issues with his RS200 at Silverstone, but it was an absolute missile once they got the problems sorted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Rather concerned by the result from Barcelona at the weekend. I hope this isn't an early sign that we are about to see a season of domination from the Hansen brothers. 

Uploaded a few pictures from the second round of the British Rallycross Championship at Lydden last week, few of my faves... 

46950283594_ff4eeb7a20_b.jpg

33862547508_9c35b8f832_b.jpg

32796159747_2db4e2b15a_b.jpg

33862554938_ac9737301c_b.jpg

46823036515_412428c8f2_b.jpg

33862548528_85479cb00a_b.jpg

The modern Supercars are great, but it was brilliant to see Liam driving the wheels of an RS200!

Full album here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157691191308423

If any of you want to see more!







 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So, early impressions of Spa? I really enjoyed the opening races. The track could probably do with being a bit longer, but it’s not a bad layout. Plus I think in the dry it will be cool to see them smoking the tyres out of T1. Timmy seemed to really enjoy himself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pleasantly surprised by Spa so far. Eau Rouge doesn't really look any different to any other uphill climb at an elevated circuit to me, but the dirt section is decent and there is enough width for passing.
 

The racing has been unpredictable so far and it's great to see some different names at the top of the standings: which is exactly what I have been hoping for this season. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, really regretting not going now! For me this is definitely the best F1-based rallycross circuit they have added to the World Championship. 

Really hope that Audi can strike back this weekend and try and level things out. Kevin Hansen has really improved his position in Q3, so he might be up there by the final. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, really regretting not going now! For me this is definitely the best F1-based rallycross circuit they have added to the World Championship. 

Really hope that Audi can strike back this weekend and try and level things out. Kevin Hansen has really improved his position in Q3, so he might be up there by the final. 

Yeah I know, I wanted to go and you talked me out of it! 😂 Q4 was brilliant too, I hope there’s lots more racing on track in the finals. Timur has been really impressive this weekend so far, hope he can do well this afternoon

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

Yeah I know, I wanted to go and you talked me out of it! 😂 Q4 was brilliant too, I hope there’s lots more racing on track in the finals. Timur has been really impressive this weekend so far, hope he can do well this afternoon

Given the quality of the last few additions (specifically CotA and Abu Dhabi), I had low expectations for Spa. Fair play to the organisers though, it looks cracking!

Fantastic to see a proper deep dirt section that hasn't been swept clear. 

Fingers crossed for some good semis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha, you got further with the F1 then I did: I didn't even turn over, I left the V8 Supercars on! 

Great final. So pleased to see a GRX car on the top step of the podium, they (and Timur) deserve it. I hope Gronholm comes back strong at Silverstone. 

Good to see the standings close up a bit. Another weekend with the Hansen brothers off the podium and that would really even things up. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Ha, you got further with the F1 then I did: I didn't even turn over, I left the V8 Supercars on! 

Great final. So pleased to see a GRX car on the top step of the podium, they (and Timur) deserve it. I hope Gronholm comes back strong at Silverstone. 

Good to see the standings close up a bit. Another weekend with the Hansen brothers off the podium and that would really even things up. 

I’m sadly away for silverstone this year, but I will be in Spain so there’s that I guess. F1 was terribly boring. I don’t understand why fans always complain it don’t actually change the channel over and watch something decent like WRX or WRC. Or touring cars or pretty much anything else. I’ve seen 10 year olds have better races around a quarter mile oval than most F1 races

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, long time no post here for me. But i enjoyed the Spa event a lot.
- The spa track seems a lot of fun. Maybe a bit to short. I think they could the climb in Eau Rouge / Raddilion a bit longer so this part becomes a bit more challenging.
- The gravel section is awesome and seemed to fit the old school and rally drivers a bit more (Doran, Bakkerud) than the younger or circuit drivers.
- The gravel is sure deep. They said multiple lines would be possible, one side true (the inside line or the 'racing line'), but they couldn't take the outside line. So maybe they should check this. But overall it seems that the organisers checked this banked corner from NRX. So Pastrana already had influence on at least one new RX track.  

It felt like a propper RX event. Now Abu Dhabi really looked a bit dull. After Saturday all was very open. I though about 5-10 points difference covered the first 12 drivers. So it could go still every way on Sunday. Also the ussual Spa weather (rain on saturday, sun on sunday) made it extra interesting to see how drivers/teams/cars could perform in the different conditions. Where Timo Scheider was strong on Saturday (maybe due to his rain experience) you could see he or his car wasn't strong enough in the dry. 

Great to see some guest entries with Ekstrom, Ide, Demoustier, Duval, Wiman.

Awesome to see Timur win, finally he did not his ussual mistakes in the final and with the great Hyundai (which seemed to be the car to have this weekend, although Timmy showed that the 208 was fast in Q4). Bakkerud was maybe overall the most consistent driver all weekend, but you could see the Audi wasn't as quick as the Hyundai. Wiman showed why he became GRC champion in the past, mega weekend for him (but at the start of the final he was in the wrong position, still a drive from last to third) and I hope he will do more weekend this year. Shame that both he and Nittiss don't have a full time drive, because they would both be championship contenders with this car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

I’m sadly away for silverstone this year, but I will be in Spain so there’s that I guess. F1 was terribly boring. I don’t understand why fans always complain it don’t actually change the channel over and watch something decent like WRX or WRC. Or touring cars or pretty much anything else. I’ve seen 10 year olds have better races around a quarter mile oval than most F1 races

Damn, that's a shame. I seriously doubt Silverstone is going to be as good as Spa, but I am looking forward to it. 

And yeah, fully agree, another cracking round of the WRC this weekend and yet everyone is still watching F1!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Rallycross: (World RX, Nitro RX & More)
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...