Jump to content Jump to content

Rallycross: (World RX, Nitro RX & More)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Is/was there a story behind the low attendance etc.? what was the champ standings in the end then? i didn't even realise it was the season closer.

It isn't. Still 2 rounds to go in Germany weekend 27/28 november.

There are only 8 permanent drivers. Abbring decided not to drive, so 7 left.

In my opinion in this way to have a world championship is complete nonsens.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Is/was there a story behind the low attendance etc.? what was the champ standings in the end then? i didn't even realise it was the season closer.

Abbring sat out Portugal as a protest against what happened in Spa. Cost him 10,000 Euros, wonder if he'll do the same for the last rounds in Germany.  

I don't want to jump on the Hansen bashing bandwagon, but I do think there has long been a problem with consistency in penalties. From all the evidence available to us (as spectators) it appears as though Kevin left Johan nowhere to go, yet Johan got the penalty. 

Perhaps more detailed reports from the officials would help in these situations, as the officials are likely drawing on additional data we cannot see. 

I haven't given up hope, but it is a big gap for JK to close in the last two rounds, so it seems likely that Timmy will get another Championship. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • PJTierney changed the title to Rallycross: (World RX, Nitro RX & More)

Sunday started well, but not ended not that well with not entering the final.
I had a mistake in Q1 that caused damage to the left front. 
No idea if technical was still ok after some repairs, but i think my confidence hurted a bit aswell and I wasn't on the pace anymore.
Also noticed maybe the lack of sleep during the week didnt help also

Despite that, i was mega quick in practice and Q1.
Being just 3-4 seconds of the pace of the top drivers is quite an achievement on which i'm proud off.
Dont forget this is my only second event, and some of the top drivers already drive 10 years, have lighter cars, have almost double the horsepower, have short ratio gearboxes and have been champions in Netherlands or Belgium. It's basically driving a Formula 2 / Formula 3 car against a Formula 1 car. Or a rental go-kart against a professional go-kart.

Doesn't mean I would be battling for the win if I would be in the same car. The lack of experience/knowledge of the joker at the Eurocircuit also hurted me in Q2/Q3. My teammate in a similar car (but than 4-door BMW E36) managed to take two seconds of me there. 

Looks like this was my final event of this year. will make this week my second vlog and than will see what the future will bring. 

Kan een afbeelding zijn van auto en buitenshuis

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Sunday started well, but not ended not that well with not entering the final.
I had a mistake in Q1 that caused damage to the left front. 
No idea if technical was still ok after some repairs, but i think my confidence hurted a bit aswell and I wasn't on the pace anymore.
Also noticed maybe the lack of sleep during the week didnt help also

Despite that, i was mega quick in practice and Q1.
Being just 3-4 seconds of the pace of the top drivers is quite an achievement on which i'm proud off.
Dont forget this is my only second event, and some of the top drivers already drive 10 years, have lighter cars, have almost double the horsepower, have short ratio gearboxes and have been champions in Netherlands or Belgium. It's basically driving a Formula 2 / Formula 3 car against a Formula 1 car. Or a rental go-kart against a professional go-kart.

Doesn't mean I would be battling for the win if I would be in the same car. The lack of experience/knowledge of the joker at the Eurocircuit also hurted me in Q2/Q3. My teammate in a similar car (but than 4-door BMW E36) managed to take two seconds of me there. 

Looks like this was my final event of this year. will make this week my second vlog and than will see what the future will bring. 

Kan een afbeelding zijn van auto en buitenshuis

Such a shame man. Failing is part of the journey, though. I know it sounds strange but mistakes aren't a bad thing, they make your learning curve steeper and ultimately a better driver. I hope you can keep racing 👍

Edited by ricxxV2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, rallycross is also learning to keep on driving and don't care whatever you hit if possible. Just your crew have something to do.

It is clear there you have a learning point as a relative small hit ruined your day as the speed was gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the car fixed already @JorritVD, obviously not an enjoyable end to the day but, as others have said, it is all part of the learning curve! Still think you have had a good start to your rallycross career, fingers crossed you get plenty of opportunities to race next year. 

In other rallycross news, the British Rallycross Championship was back at Lydden last weekend. Plenty of decent racing, but an especially cool Supercar final under floodlight. 

 


Thought it was better than the night race last year. A good example of how the joker can actually make the racing more interesting as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ricxxV2 said:

Btw, the commentator is Luke Crane aka Actrollvision who used to organise and commentate sim racing championships and finally managed to become a real life motorsport commentator. 

Ah, I wondered who he was. Thought he was pretty decent, definitely enthusiastic (and apparently really likes the word "indeed"!).

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 11/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, ricxxV2 said:

Btw, the commentator is Luke Crane aka Actrollvision who used to organise and commentate sim racing championships and finally managed to become a real life motorsport commentator. 

He commentated on the DiRT 4 World Championship. 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watch NRX at the weekend? I am very ambivalent about it at the moment; I certainly don't hate it, but it isn't exciting me in the same way as other International or National rallycross series. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
12 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Anyone watch NRX at the weekend? I am very ambivalent about it at the moment; I certainly don't hate it, but it isn't exciting me in the same way as other International or National rallycross series. 

I knew it was on (because I was seeing the video links in Discord) but had no desire to tune in at all.

I guess it's due to the following:

  • Time difference between Europe and America
  • Me wanting to stay off YouTube until I had watched F1 (I don't watch the races live because I don't have Sky Sports)
  • The negative experience of the first round's broadcast (which had far too much dead air compared to World RX).
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, tbtstt said:

Anyone watch NRX at the weekend? I am very ambivalent about it at the moment; I certainly don't hate it, but it isn't exciting me in the same way as other International or National rallycross series. 

I have seen the action back on YouTube. The Nitro RX channel has playlists of both days, so it is easy to watch back without waiting.
Although it is missing a lot of context therefore, for example why there is no Bennett / Doran etc in the Battle Brackets. Also seeing an LCQ with Larsson, because he got a penalty. 

Maybe we as closely follow RX missing these details, but maybe these details aren't that important for the target group of NRX.

For me the most boring part are the battle brackets even though there were a few good battles/stories (lol that Larsson/Hansen battle).
A problem I have is that the good drivers at that point get even more seat time.
Rather I see qualifying heats, maybe with the addition of points for you finishing position (like Titans) so you still have the "entertainment".

Also something a factor that I not like is amount of damage the cars get of the track. Even the Hansens now had driveshaft issues.
That is also the lack of experience of some drivers. The tracks are a bit to much Motocross style, and i think for the people who did Motocross games, a lot about it is not going flat-out, but about timing it perfect. I really expected Doran and Larsson to be at the front with their driving style (remembering Doran at Spa in 2019), but they seem really to struggle with both the car and the loose. 

Overall, its not bad, just the expectations don't meet with what is happening. Although I think it would be massively fun to have the NRX tracks/cars in DR2.0.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Overall, its not bad, just the expectations don't meet with what is happening. Although I think it would be massively fun to have the NRX tracks/cars in DR2.0.

This is a good recap of what I think about NRX as well. 
The Battle Brackets are really boring to watch as most of time everything is decided by the first corner.
The sunday's races are cool to watch, but as Steve says, no excitment as I can have for the World RX.

Indeed, massively fun to play it in game :classic_ninja:

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Also something a factor that I not like is amount of damage the cars get of the track. Even the Hansens now had driveshaft issues.

I am far from a fan of Timmy or Kevin, but credit to the Hansen engineers for putting a car together that seems to be handling the terrain better than most (aside from maybe the i20, which has been pretty reliable as well).

The Subaru looks by far the best suited car, but then it should be really given the teams budget and the extensive testing and modifications they have made to those cars. 

3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

I really expected Doran and Larsson to be at the front with their driving style (remembering Doran at Spa in 2019), but they seem really to struggle with both the car and the loose. 

The Audis don't seem to have fared at all well with the transition to NRX. I wonder if maybe JC EKS are spreading themselves a bit too thin with such a big program in the US and WRX as well. I hope we see those cars back in action in Europe next year. 

3 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Overall, its not bad, just the expectations don't meet with what is happening. Although I think it would be massively fun to have the NRX tracks/cars in DR2.0.

Agree. The drivers do seem to be enjoying it (when the cars aren't breaking!).


In other rallycross news I see that the British 5 Nations Championship officially called their season. There was talk of a replacement for Spa, but that is off now. Champions in all classes confirmed except Supercar, which is still pending an investigation...

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

That's a funky looking machine.

Quite a famous car in rallycross circles: this is the Porsche that won the very first Rallycross Grand Prix at Brands Hatch (in 1982). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...