Jump to content Jump to content

Rallycross: (World RX, Nitro RX & More)

tbtstt

Pretty dramatic first day of the closing WRX weekend. Huge smash for Knapick, so glad to read he is OK. Fantastic drive for Belevsky and a bit of a disaster of a day for both Kevin and Timmy Hansen.

Just four points between Timmy and Johan now. I hope Kevin stays out of the picture tomorrow and we get a clean fight upfront. Kevin seemed pretty unhappy during the final interview though, so I wonder how aggressive he will be on track tomorrow.

I am rooting for Kristoffersson!

• Like 1

Pretty intense finish! I am unashamedly a JK fanboy, so really pleased to see him take the title. Can only assume that the pressure got to Timmy which has really surprised me, as he has always seemed good at handling that in the past. Both of his semi-final drives this weekend have seemed a bit desperate though and that has cost him the title.

What a poor track it is. It more feels like an RX ovaly. From what I have been told, the facilities there were not cool, the pit line was very far and the organisation was not cool. I hope next year the new promoter will manage this in a better way.

On the race side, I have watched the replay this night. Could not believe what I was watching. How could Timmy be so bad in strategy ? I mean, we all know that JK is fast but Timmy only had to « follow » him quietly. Kevin would have done the guard dog behind him like he did by the past and all would have been fine for him.
I am happy but the end, now, Timmy knows what it makes to lost by equal points. Bakkerud’s vibes

I would also add that justice has been finally made regarding the unfair steward’s decisions all season long.

Quite happy of the season overall. 

Now, let's see what the future will bring us on the real side, as on the Dirt RX side... :o)

6 hours ago, James__McAdam said:

What a poor track it is. It more feels like an RX ovaly. From what I have been told, the facilities there were not cool, the pit line was very far and the organisation was not cool. I hope next year the new promoter will manage this in a better way.

Maybe I am biased because of the outcome, but I didn't think it was that terrible. Was a bit uncertain at the start of the weekend (because of the snow!), but OK once it got faster. Reminded me a lot of Killarney, except with elevation. Dirt joker was cool as well.  

6 hours ago, James__McAdam said:

On the race side, I have watched the replay this night. Could not believe what I was watching. How could Timmy be so bad in strategy ? I mean, we all know that JK is fast but Timmy only had to « follow » him quietly. Kevin would have done the guard dog behind him like he did by the past and all would have been fine for him.

Yep, agreed. Just control the gap, use Kevin to slow JK if possible and/or hold off the rest of the field. Saturday obviously did the damage point wise, but I think it must have had a psychological toll as well. Then you come out Sunday morning, put in four "hell of a laps" only to have Johan take over a second out of your time. 

Impressive driving from Belevsky on Saturday and Ide on Sunday. Easily the best weekend of the year for Enzo, shame he got tangled in the final as I thought he deserved a good result.

• Agree 1

So, I've been out of the WRX loop for a year or two, but looking at the result lists during events, the entry lists I've seen seems really... concerning. 6-10 Supercars? I honestly hope I looked at the wrong lists..

Edited by bogani
  • Agree 1

• Social Media & Community Team
3 hours ago, bogani said:

So, I've been out of the WRX loop for a year or two, but looking at the result lists during events, the entry lists I've seen seems really... concerning. 6-10 Supercars? I honestly hope I looked at the wrong lists..

Montalegre had 7, that was the lowest I saw.

Apparently there are 14 committed to next year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Montalegre had 7, that was the lowest I saw.

Apparently there are 14 committed to next year.

I always see that 14 "committed". As far as I know 14 kits to build a car were sold. But that doesn't mean 14 entry's. Maybe some don't get the budget together, maybe some teams use 1 for testing. I think it will be 10-12 cars next year.

16 minutes ago, bogani said:

So, 7 cars battling for 6 spots in the final. That's a travesty.

WRX and Rallycross in general were hit pretty hard of Covid. A switch of promoter and the push/vision of introduce electric by the old promoter also not helped on this moment.

WRX is/was the only world championship where no manufacturers are committed to basically (compared to WTCR, F1, WRC, WEC, etc) and also is a bit less professional overall.

You can also see that Rallycross and an huge cost increase since the WRX started, while its still young makes things also more insecure. In F1 there are a lot of contracts for multi year. In Rallycross that’s not the case. 

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

I always see that 14 "committed". As far as I know 14 kits to build a car were sold. But that doesn't mean 14 entry's. Maybe some don't get the budget together, maybe some teams use 1 for testing. I think it will be 10-12 cars next year.

Yup, a minimum of 14 Kreisel kits have been reserved/sold. It’s not very clear to be honest.

But I don’t know if the STARD cars also can compete. as there are a few of those and could boost the grids. Some Fiesta and at least one factory Citroen C3.

—— 

There will be a change, as World RX looks to be split and will be fully electric with RX2e next to it. Probably no other support series as they want to be fully electric, or they are electric. 

next to it will be a old-skool European Rallycross with ICE engines. So Supercars (RX1), Super1600 (RX3) and possible return of Touring Cars (RX4) and who knows some crosscarts. My target is to compete in one round of the Euros next year (RX3 or RX4). 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, bogani said:

So, 7 cars battling for 6 spots in the final. That's a travesty.

As @JorritVDhas already said there were a lot of factors that hit World RX this year. It seems a long way from where the Championship was a few years but, in the current climate, I am just thankful that we had a Championship this year.

Going to be very interesting to see who goes where next year. 14 kits sold and, based on the teams who have confirmed purchases, it looks like there will at least be more permanent entries next year. I am intrigued to see what cars end up in the Euros and what the calendar for next year is. 

Skim watched the last NRX round over the weekend so need to fill in a few blanks today. Again I found it entertaining but, even with the difference in grid sizes, WRX was more enjoyable for me this year. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

As @JorritVDhas already said there were a lot of factors that hit World RX this year. It seems a long way from where the Championship was a few years

True. But just look at a lot of other series, truckracing, touring cars, dtm, formula E. It lasts as long as enough manufacturers are there and then it just struggles on. WRX is 'just' anorher series on that list and it is no surprise for me. Only it is hit a bit harder because covid makes things worse.

Yet to be seen if E-WRX survives at all. If those 14 kits are still the only ones sold next year this time it looks like the end of that road.

3 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

True. But just look at a lot of other series, truckracing, touring cars, dtm, formula E. It lasts as long as enough manufacturers are there and then it just struggles on. WRX is 'just' anorher series on that list and it is no surprise for me. Only it is hit a bit harder because covid makes things worse.

Yet to be seen if E-WRX survives at all. If those 14 kits are still the only ones sold next year this time it looks like the end of that road.

Yeah, time will tell on that one. Have to say I was rather surprised by the news the uptake had been that high (I wasn't expecting double figures the first year), so it will be interesting to see how that pans out. Will it attract more interest during the first year, or will it fizzle out before the end of the season. 

I also think it will be interesting to see how fans react in person to the electric cars.

Very curious to see how the entries go for NRX next year as well. Apparently Supercar will continue as a support class, so will the existing competitors look at both the electric and Supercar class there, or ditch one for the other? I wonder how keen a lot of the entrants (especially JC Raceteknik) will be for next year given the high rate of attrition this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

2022 World RX calendar (with one TBC) revealed:

2022-Calendar-Graphic_64ebf_f_1400x788.p

Also announced are new format changes for 2022:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/world-rx/news/world-rx/2021/format-changes-set-to-enhance-the-racing-in-2022/

The Superpole idea sounds like it might be fun, but I am really not sure on the other format changes. Reduction in the number of heat races isn't so good, and the changes to the latter stages of the event seem to be vastly complicating things? (or perhaps that is just how I am reading the press release?).

I liked how straight forward the general format of a World RX event was, not too sure on this.

• Thanks 1