Server Maintenance Notice - October 14 to October 17 Read more... ×

DIRT RALLY 2.0 - CUSTOM LIVERIES, MODS & TOOLS, DISCUSSION ETC.

anyone know if those new Dirtfish liveries can be replaced? ... and what the folders are?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tea3k said:

I have problem with edited skin of windows. I convert to dds with mipmaps but on game I have a crossed stripes on windows . What is couse ?

Can you post a screenshot or image of what it looks like?

any news for skin mod of dlc cars?? it's icredible don't havw the possibility to have the 037 martini of focus bp...:-(

On 8/14/2019 at 1:45 AM, skylinegtr34 said:

any news for skin mod of dlc cars?? it's icredible don't havw the possibility to have the 037 martini of focus bp...:-(

They have given an explanation as to why the DLC cars are encrypted.

It has to do with the fact that if they do make them available for us modders to create liveries for them, it would also allow a different kind of modder to extract the cars and offer them free of charge. It is content people have to pay for and if they would be available to download for free, it would benefit them or in fact us. If they don't get the revenue for the DLC content they won't invest in creating more DLC content.

Even though it's not ideal for us the community, it is understandable. Maybe one day they will find a way to make them available without the risk of seeing the cars released for free by the type of modder I am definitely not a fan of. Once again a few people ruin it for the vast majority. I made a few suggestions on how to do it but every single one has its flaws one way or the other.

Atleast we can continue designing some fantastic liveries for the ones that are available until a solution is found.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I also hope some day they managed to patch it in such a way that the liveries can be linked from outside without putting at risk the 3D model itself.

Either that, or start licensing brands to get the liveries in, either free or paid dlc like CSGO skins.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

It has to do with the fact that if they do make them available for us modders to create liveries for them, it would also allow a different kind of modder to extract the cars and offer them free of charge. It is content people have to pay for and if they would be available to download for free, it would benefit them or in fact us. If they don't get the revenue for the DLC content they won't invest in creating more DLC content.

Even though it's not ideal for us the community, it is understandable. Maybe one day they will find a way to make them available without the risk of seeing the cars released for free by the type of modder I am definitely not a fan of. Once again a few people ruin it for the vast majority. I made a few suggestions on how to do it but every single one has its flaws one way or the other. 

Atleast we can continue designing some fantastic liveries for the ones that are available until a solution is found. 

maybe, return to make a videogames like 90' or 2000, without DLC, with all of content in original build... this method of DLC it's a simply method to make lot of money extra, the excuse of implement content it's ridiculous...without DLC, codemasters don't have the money for give me the content of DIRT rally 1??? really??? i need pay for have germany, wales and montecarlo rally, the same stage of 4 year ago??!!

and the problem it's cracking the DLC...yes....

i understand your explain, and it's true, but i dislike the concept...

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

The main difference is that gaming physics and graphics were much simplier then, and the licensing costs were next to none. Today, there's a lot of licensing costs and difficulties, and we having an experience a lot more realistic than in the 2000s.

Add that to the niche market, and there you have the reason why it's not like in the late 90s anymore. This is the best way to keep this series alive and improving every year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Riggs said:

The main difference is that gaming physics and graphics were much simplier then, and the licensing costs were next to none. Today, there's a lot of licensing costs and difficulties, and we having an experience a lot more realistic than in the 2000s.

Add that to the niche market, and there you have the reason why it's not like in the late 90s anymore. This is the best way to keep this series alive and improving every year.

45 minutes ago, skylinegtr34 said:

maybe, return to make a videogames like 90' or 2000, without DLC, with all of content in original build... this method of DLC it's a simply method to make lot of money extra, the excuse of implement content it's ridiculous...

aaaaand videogame prices have stayed almost exactly the same, so when you count inflation, they've actually gotten cheaper to buy, while becoming more expensive to make.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

But would just releasing the PSSG files give people access to the whole car? I can see the nefs thing would go against the DLC thing, but the PSSG's just textures right?

2 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

That's very nice, i like it, on RD?

Unfortunately not. It's a one of for SimSepp who is going to use it personally for championships. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Dang, it's a good one though.

Well, I've discussed a bit more with SimSepp and we've decided to make the livery available to the community. 

I'll upload the files in a bit and I'll post the link.

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, skylinegtr34 said:

The explanation is understandable.

But it is not the reason why they don't want to develop other way of adding skins to existing cars. Technically skin doesn't need to be placed into encrypted packaged. It might be located into some custom directory.  So it's only about they will.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

The explanation is understandable.

But it is not the reason why they don't want to develop other way of adding skins to existing cars. Technically skin doesn't need to be placed into encrypted packaged. It might be located into some custom directory.  So it's only about they will.

If I'm not mistaken the way we access those files for livery design is by opening the file where everything related to the cars is located. Because we bought the game we have access to the base content, which is moddable. If DLC content isn't encrypted, a certain modder would not just be able to extract the files from the DLC content concerning liveries but also the other car files which enables him/her to provide those cars freely to anyone via download.

I personally hope that they change the way they go about it and do make them available at some point for livery modding.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, ianism said:

anyone know if those new Dirtfish liveries can be replaced? ... and what the folders are?

I'd like to know this too!

3 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

If I'm not mistaken the way we access those files for livery design is by opening the file where everything related to the cars is located. Because we bought the game we have access to the base content, which is moddable. If DLC content isn't encrypted, a certain modder would not just be able to extract the files from the DLC content concerning liveries but also the other car files which enables him/her to provide those cars freely to anyone via download.

Yes I understand how it works. What I said is, that CM could develop the other way to add custom liveries, without affecting original car (encrypted) packages.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Yes I understand how it works. What I said is, that CM could develop the other way to add custom liveries, without affecting original car (encrypted) packages.

Ok, that is true. We know and they know they can pull it off. The question then is, what would it cost in regards to time and resources to do this and is it worth that? I'm convinced they discuss it from time to time at the office so who knows. It would benefit many of us but what we want is not always what we will get as we look at it from a lover of the game perspective and they have to look at it from a lover of the game AND business perspective. I doubt it will happen in this title unfortunately but I truly hope that they will keep this in mind when they develop the next iteration of the game from the ground up. 

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think you already have answered your question. Considering they released several games, having already multiple opportunities to add livery support to their titles in the past, and the fact you are still asking for this feature, I might say they don't want to provide it to community at all.

I can say (being a programmer), it's not rocket science to prepare infrastructure for 3rd party skins. Doing that in most simply way, without sharing capabilities through Steam workshop or so, it might took an hour of work. It's just only about checking some predefined location for alternate bitmap file(s). What can be easier.

I don't blame them for this decision though. Maybe because I don't care about additional liveries. Just attempting to dissipate your doubts 😉. But maybe they finally add it when the title will step into eSports territory.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Having the possibility of modding the liveries, without putting at risk the DLC car sales, would not only benefit us, but also CM as people do enjoy a little bit of customization. If you give the players more options to customize their cars, the modders will be busy, players will be happy and will keep playing for longer. It's also a good selling point, since it goes from mouth to mouth among the community. DR1's sales also benefited from this availability.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 5