DiRT5: Future Release?

I know it's probably completely the wrong time to be asking this, with DiRT Rally 2.0 being released just around the corner (No pun intended! 😂 🤣), but does anyone know when DiRT5 is due to be released, if it's in the planning process or if it will ever be released?

All types of answers are very welcome.

DiRTFanNo.1

Can we at least wait until 2.0 is actually out? But I think it will take some time before them even thinking about a new DiRT game. Not when they seem to make more DLC aswell

• Sad 1

I may be being selfish here but if a future Dirt 5 would hinder evolution of future Dirt Rally series then I’d prefer they ditch it.

The racing genre (okay rally ain’t racing as such) seems to lean towards simulation these days. With the exception of Forza Horizon the majority of successful car games have leaned more towards simulation than arcade. Arcade racing seems pretty dead to me.

Having said all that I’d personally love a new ridge racer.....

but I’m going way off topic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I enjoyed DiRT Rally and I am sure I will enjoy DiRT Rally 2.0 also, but these two video games are spin-off's from the main DiRT video game's series, which I am sure we all know are the following:

1. Colin McRae: DiRT
  2. Colin McRae: DiRT2
  3. DiRT3
  4. DiRT4

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Typo update.

I think there are no concrete plans at all yet for a new DiRT after DR2.0.

Where DiRT 4 was very different than DiRT 3 and 2 which were more similar with the influence of Mr. Block.

There are some more factors that depends on the future of DiRT or DiRT Rally:
- What happens with World Rallycross. Maybe they will ditch the license and be more flexible with the available Supercars and tracks in the game.
- Will there be a new DiRT still for the current platform, or for the next gen of platforms. 
- The potential of a new DiRT. Based on the the sales of D4 and DR2.0
- ETC.

It will be interesting how much DR2.0 will be sold innitially. For PS4 DR1 was released in April 2016. At that point Sony sold 45 million PS4. A good 3 years later, and there are more than 90 million PS4 sold. So that should help with selling DR2.0 on the PS4 as well. Same for the Xbox, In 2016 they had about 20 million systems sold, and now about 40 million. Basically you have twice the size of a market compared to when DR1 was released for consoles. The question is, have the rally fans on consoles also have been doubled.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Voidhawk said:

Having said all that I’d personally love a new ridge racer.....

Off topic: so would I!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

I enjoyed DiRT Rally and I am sure I will enjoy DiRT Rally 2.0 also, but these two video games are spin-off's from the main DiRT video game's series, which I am sure we all know are the following:

1. Colin McRae: DiRT
  2. Colin McRae: DiRT2
  3. DiRT3
  4. DiRT4

DiRTFanNo.1

The thing is that the spin-off managed to sell more than the main game, and right now it's what the market is asking for. Many of DiRT4's sales were obtained through the DiRT Rally community thinking it would be an upgrade in the simulation aspect, for those who wanted to play in sim mode, but it wasn't. To be honest I dont think a DiRT5 will be successful nor will have enough demand to cover the development costs, therefore it would affect any future DiRT Rally iteration with possible budgeting cutting.

The cash cow of the rallies right now is the Rally 'spin-off', and it's whats working the best so far. Given its high demand and successful rate, it would be fair for DiRT Rally to become a main game, rather than be classified just a mere spin-off. I think it deserves the status upgrade.

Edited by AIPacino
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

JorritVD, I wouldn't be surprised if DiRT5 is awaiting PlayStation 5 and Xbox what ever number it will be, to be released.

DiRTFanNo.1

@AlPacino

I find it a bit odd that the spin-off DiRT Rally, has sold better than DiRT4. I personally prefer DiRT4 than DiRT Rally, but I'm not saying I didn't enjoy DiRT Rally, as I did enjoy it! I am unsure what I will think of DiRT Rally 2.0, along with the DiRT Rally and DiRT4 when DiRT Rally when DiRT Rally 2.0 does get released.

Also, I do not want to offend or upset anyone by what I have said here, so I want everyone to know that I personal views of preferring DiRT4 over DiRT Rally has not been made to upset anyone.

The eagle-eyed reader will have noticed that I have finally changed my profile image / avatar to the front cover of DiRT Rally 2.0, but cut out the DiRT Rally 2.0 logo. I have also got a poster-style image of the DiRT Rally 2.0 front cover, as my profile image, of one that fits the DiRT Rally 2.0 logo. With these changes I have made to my account on the Codemasters Community Forum, you can really see that I have developed the hype also for DiRT Rally 2.0 and I have given in by losing the DiRT4 images, which I was being stubborn and trying to keep them there as long as possible.

DiRTFanNo.1

• Agree 2

I think we can expect it for Q3 2020 with the usual game yearly release. I'm looking forward for @xtinamcgrath to announce it, I guess a couple of months after the release of the final DLC for Dirt Rally 2.0.

I bet on this:

- Hopefully the stage generator will be improved over Dirt 4, but I also hope they will include the previous tiles, as that will make a big difference.

- Finally full RX season. They hear us, they deliver.

- No non-sense Group B class.

- No online mode. No one uses it in Dirt 4 anyway, so focus on the physics but make it available for people as a DLC ("if you don't want it, don't buy it" TM).

Nice to see the rumors starting. Pre-order opening by September?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

39 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

- No online mode. No one uses it in Dirt 4 anyway

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that no one uses it

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

I think we can expect it for Q3 2020 with the usual game yearly release. I'm looking forward for @xtinamcgrath to announce it, I guess a couple of months after the release of the final DLC for Dirt Rally 2.0.

I bet on this:

- Hopefully the stage generator will be improved over Dirt 4, but I also hope they will include the previous tiles, as that will make a big difference.

- Finally full RX season. They hear us, they deliver.

- No non-sense Group B class.

- No online mode. No one uses it in Dirt 4 anyway, so focus on the physics but make it available for people as a DLC ("if you don't want it, don't buy it" TM).

Nice to see the rumors starting. Pre-order opening by September?

I just want to point out that DiRT Rally had its full release (after PC) December 2015, DiRT 4 released June 2017, DR2.0 is releasing March 2019 so not yearly releases.

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, shadow118 said:

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that no one uses it

They should do what they done with original Dirt way back when....... I think each online rally was up to 100 simultaneous drivers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

I don't and I didn't say it did. I was saying that I prefer DiRT4 over DiRT Rally.

DiRTFanNo.1

Sorry, didn't read AlPacino's post you replied to.

@alpacino, how do you know DR sold more than D4?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

I just want to point out that DiRT Rally had its full release (after PC) December 2015, DiRT 4 released June 2017, DR2.0 is releasing March 2019 so not yearly releases.

You're forgetting the WRC game that Codemasters put out in 2018, the one that @CodingRacer told us all about...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

You're forgetting the WRC game that Codemasters put out in 2018, the one that @CodingRacer told us all about...

Yeah I had a feeling I missed that one. I wonder how that slipped under my radar!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think they're going to release DiRT 5. DiRT Rally wasn't a numbered entry because it was some kind of spin-off from the series' arcade roots, and DiRT 4 followed that. DiRT 4 got pretty bad sales because hardcore players didn't really like it, so now they're using the Rally subtitle again, and I think that's going to stay that way for now.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Oscar97 said:

I don't think they're going to release DiRT 5. DiRT Rally wasn't a numbered entry because it was some kind of spin-off from the series' arcade roots, and DiRT 4 followed that. DiRT 4 got pretty bad sales because hardcore players didn't really like it, so now they're using the Rally subtitle again, and I think that's going to stay that way for now.

As much as I agree with the rest of that, does anyone actually know if DiRT 4 suffered in sales especially in comparison to DR? Rally was niche but DR was even more so due to its sim handling. It might have been better received but was it really the better selling one? I wouldn't have thought so, D4 was more accessible.

I imagine as an arcade game, D4 was actually pretty great. It had a decent number of disciplines within and the rally section was better than D3, D3's multiplayer was still going strong years after its release but D4 died pretty fast.

• Agree 2

I don't really agree with any of this. DiRT4 for me was amazing and much better than DiRT Rally. DiRT Rally and DiRT Rally 2.0 are spin-off's to the main DiRT series, so why should a spin-off be better? The spin-off series should and is good, but it shouldn't be better.

My personal view as to why the next DiRT video game being released at the end of this month, is because the last DiRT video game was DiRT4, released back in 2017. The DiRT video game released before DiRT4 was DiRT Rally, released back in 2016. That's why I personally feel that the next video game after DiRT4 is DiRT Rally 2.0, as it's more fair for the DiRT spin-off series of video games to have another release than the main release. I trust and I do hope that when DiRT Rally 2.0 has run it's course and it's time for another DiRT video game, that the next will be DiRT5.

DiRTFanNo.1

What's the fundamental difference between DiRT 4 and DiRT Rally, then? What makes DiRT 4 completely different from the Rally games?

• Like 1