DiRT Rally 2.0 Release - First Impressions & Reactions Thread

Yeah, the default setup setting make no sense based on car spec. Bad stage time difference, I suppose being not at spec, is probably quite noticeable on tarmac. It's a nice way to throw new talent in garbage.

The inertia seem & feel more realistic than many other videogame racing games out there, but the steering model seem forgiving & the experience with the gamepad is quite satisfying while it may not be to the same level with the steering wheel when compared to DiRT Rally. 

The GFX requirement seem high for PC or maybe it need some optimization. The preset choice doesn't seem to follow that much the popular PC setup.

my opinion is that there are many little turns in this game, for example ... there is an internship in Poland where you only get the first corner 3 after 1 min. is too much 4-5-6 turns in this game. prefers to have few straights and many corners

Edited by b10v10e

Played a few hours now. Racenet issues aside, DR 2.0 is pretty much what I expected it to be. Most important for me is the handling model, and that really is greatly improved in my view. 

It's got the weight of the cars from D4 (which was good), combined with the predictability and liveliness of DR (something D4 sorely missed).  The addition of tyre choice is nice and I can feel it making a difference. I also enjoy that the cars feel more unique than in DR and D4. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, b10v10e said:

my opinion is that there are many little turns in this game, for example ... there is an internship in Poland where you only get the first corner 3 after 1 min. is too much 4-5-6 turns in this game. prefers to have few straights and many corners

I don't like sections, that have many 3,2,1 corners, it's too slow for me. So, i guess it's balanced for everyone. 

Second day and i'm feeling better with the cars. Few setup changes and i like the game better. It feels much better than Dirt 4 now and i'm happy.

But still RWD cars, i cant get the feeling, maybe the setup issue here too for me. But it feels like the tires sunk in to the gravel or something. I also wish that hardcore damage is hardcore. Now i can smash car to the rock and be able to continue. But these are minor problems and the FFP offcourse.

Dirt rally 2.0 is a great game, thank you for that.

The physics is a huge disappointment for me! As already stated by others, there is something still wrong with the tyres breaking lateral grip when there is wheelspin. It is just not natural to drive an RWD or 4WD car. You should have to fight for grip and get the tail under control when you apply to much throttle and this simply doesn't happen at all, the car just continues to go forward and there is no rotation at all. The weight is there and it is killing lateral grip because of pendulum effect and under braking, that's true and it maybe is somewhat better than in D4, but the very essence of driving a rally car and controlling a drift nicely with throttle and wheel angle modulation is simply not possible. DR1, with all it's problems, felt much more natural and thus - was way more fun! This game is simply annoying when you try to drive like you should be able to and you are fighting to brake grip instead of fighting to get it back!

Also when you try to put some angle to your car with the brakes and apply throttle to try to keep that angle, magically a lot of lateral grip comes out of nothing and you even have to steer towards the corner again to make the car turn in.

The Rallycross cars have also way to much grip, so unrealistic and no fun at all! FFB is also very weird, but this is maybe only because the weird physics, i don't know.

I gave the BMW another go on loose surface, and still think that it doesn't behave predictable. You can't do throttle oversteer, you have to induce oversteer with the brakes, but then you can't seamlessly convert that move into a nice drift... something is very odd. This aspect of dirt rally was far superior!

Edited by eckertb
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, eckertb said:

The physics is a huge disappointment for me! As already stated by others, there is something still wrong with the tyres breaking lateral grip when there is wheelspin. It is just not natural to drive an RWD or 4WD car. You should have to fight for grip and get the tail under control when you apply to much throttle and this simply doesn't happen at all, the car just continues to go forward and there is no rotation at all. The weight is there and it is killing lateral grip because of pendulum effect and under braking, that's true and it maybe is somewhat better than in D4, but the very essence of driving a rally car and controlling a drift nicely with throttle and wheel angle modulation is simply not possible. DR1, with all it's problems, felt much more natural and thus - was way more fun! This game is simply annoying when you try to drive like you should be able to and you are fighting to brake grip instead of fighting to get it back!

Also when you try to put some angle to your car with the brakes and apply throttle to try to keep that angle, magically a lot of lateral grip comes out of nothing and you even have to steer towards the corner again to make the car turn in.

I disagree.  I enjoy the new physics, it feels very natural and real. RWDs needs some feathering of the throttle but AWD cars can be driven aggressively into nice powerslides. On a stage with a good flow its easy to chain together opposite direction corners and keep the momentum. Driving the Evo VI in New Zealand is a blast, even with the baseline setup.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, redriot77 said:

I disagree.  I enjoy the new physics, it feels very natural and real. RWDs needs some feathering of the throttle but AWD cars can be driven aggressively into nice powerslides. On a stage with a good flow its easy to chain together opposite direction corners and keep the momentum. Driving the Evo VI in New Zealand is a blast, even with the baseline setup.

I’ll try the Evo. It’s true that you can use the weight of the car to rotate it into the next corner, but throttle oversteer is still off. Prove me wrong, try do a long drift and control the angle with the throttle if you can in an RWD car, you will get my point!

DR2.0 although with some up & down... Definitely more difficult than DR. Rallycross really do stand out(it make many well known sim feel like Mario Kart) & extremely fun to drive.

Edited by MrDeap

I was away for most of the weekend, but managed to put more time in last night. My impressions are still overwhelmingly positive. RWD seems to have taken a massive step forward, I barely bothered with RWD in D4 but the more time I spend with them in DR2.0 the more enjoyable I am finding them. 

Only a few minor gripes thus far: 

- Mettet RX circuit isn't right, real shame when the rest of the World RX tracks seem to be spot on. 
- Still getting odd Racenet errors in career...

- ...and the career itself isn't really pulling me in (yet). I probably need to give it more effort though and will properly attack it once I have done all the historic Championships. 

Still, I am finding the above annoying rather than gamebreakers thus far and I can't wait to play some more later! Got a whole list of car/stage combos I want to try (kudos to CM for including the freeplay mode) and I need to give Argentina a proper look as I have barely tried it yet!

After having the game about a week, here are my thoughts. 

Pros:

track selection is really strong - the bespoke stages have given me a good time and challenge. I have more confidence driving these stages then I ever did in Dirt 4. The design is good, and it really makes me feel like I’m there. 

Car selection is pretty good. A good chunk of regular favourites, but the addition of some fresh ones makes for some good variety. The DLC cars will be a welcome addition. It seems like there will be good choice. 

Car physics seem pretty strong. There definitely feels like more weight to the cars while driving along. You can feel the car sliding around in the gravel and feel it grab on the tarmac. I’m really enjoying driving the Datsun 240Z around NZ. The car snakes through and connects corners really well, and it’s just fun. Rallycross cars also feel pretty good. I’ve not done too much, but they respond well and it’s fun sliding them around a stage. A good improvement over the Dirt Rally 1 physics and a good build from Dirt 4. 

Sound is pretty good. I like hearing the car noises. The sequential gears whining in the WRX cars. The turbo whine in the Group B Audi Quattro. The co-driver calls also are fairly reliable. Haven’t had too many issues apart from a couple ones here and there. Definitely an improvement over Dirt 4’s calls. The road noise isn’t as good as previous titles, but I don’t pay too much attention to that so it’s not been a big issue to me  

Now to the cons:

RAIN AND DARKNESS. This is the big one for me. Driving the stages in the career in almost constant rain and/or darkness is a real downfall to me. I love the stages during the day, but I’ve only had a couple of rallies during the day in career. If the DLC stages aren’t going to be included in the career, it’s going to wear very old, very quickly, running the same dreary, gloomy stages throughout the duration of my career. Also, if the headlights don’t get addressed, that’ll be a big disappointment if the stages must be run in the rain/darkness. The headlights are fine during the night, and I enjoy that you’ll see them flickering if they’re damaged. But, if you have a day stage and go under tree cover, good luck seeing the stage. Even during the day!

Online career is a second big complaint of mine, but it hasn’t been entirely horrible. When it works, it’s not really noticeable. When I can’t access my career because of RaceNet not connecting, then it gets frustrating. The other games got through without having online career modes, I don’t see why this one couldn’t as well. Especially because what the online career mode was supposed to address, the cheating and the bots and so on, doesn’t appear to have worked. I’ve seen on here that it hasn’t seemed to gotten rid of that, and that makes it seem to me that it wasn’t really necessary. 

The graphics are a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. The cars look fuzzy on screen, in the service area and in car while driving. The stages are real hit or miss. Some points, during the day, they look great. When night or rain comes, which is frequent, the pixelation becomes pretty apparent. It’s definitely the least crisp and defined of the three most recent Dirt games. I’m just playing on a 4K TV and Xbox One S, but again, if the previous games are sharper, that’s a problem. The frame rate really also drops during rain stages in Argentina, at least, and that’s not been a problem in the previous games, as much as I recall. 

Driver animations are a bit of a distraction in this game. I get wanting the driver to show some excitement after a stage, but when he’s waving his arm like a lunatic after a stage is a bit unrealistic. I know drivers and co-drivers will sometimes shake hands after a stage, but I’ve never seen a driver wave to the crowd or fist bump or whatever the movement is supposed to be. It just looks like he’s afraid to touch the wheel after a stage and it’s really odd. Definitely not implemented very well

Quick Conclusion

Overall, I enjoy the game. I don’t regret getting it. I’m enjoying the driving, for the most part. I’m enjoying the stages, for the most part. I am a bit disappointed that some of the cars from previous games are being introduced as DLC. My favourite class is the open to 2000ccs class, and for them to be introduced two weeks later, in chunks, as a DLC pack is a bit of a letdown. Also, if the DLC stages aren’t going to be implemented in career, that’s a major downfall to me too. I don’t mind doing the same stages as Dirt Rally 1. I liked Germany and Monte Carlo and so on. But, to only be able to use them outside of my career and not have a proper variety in career is a bit of a bummer. It seems easy to me to implement, but I’m not a coder. I don’t know what it would take. Hopefully Codemasters can address some of these cons and improve on the Pros. I’ll keep coming back for more for sure then. 

• Like 1