We need to abandon duels until they're properly fixed

This game is an embarrassment.  I've never used a piece of software that got progressively worse over time. Seemingly by the day at this point. The duels are completely unplayable. This game frankly should be taken offline until everything is fixed. I've stopped playing duels entirely and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Some sort of message needs to be sent that this game is fundamentally broken. There appears to be no testing or QA whatsoever before each release is pushed out. Each release makes the game even worse than it was before. F1 should really be embarrassed to have their name attached to such a poorly made representation of their product. 

• Agree 5

6 hours ago, xdakota80x said:

This game is an embarrassment.  I've never used a piece of software that got progressively worse over time. Seemingly by the day at this point. The duels are completely unplayable. This game frankly should be taken offline until everything is fixed. I've stopped playing duels entirely and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Some sort of message needs to be sent that this game is fundamentally broken. There appears to be no testing or QA whatsoever before each release is pushed out. Each release makes the game even worse than it was before. F1 should really be embarrassed to have their name attached to such a poorly made representation of their product.

No signs and no announcement about fixing these problems.

• Agree 1

Played singles last night and got a 1:20 on the French circuit. I then played a qualifying duel on the same track, and I got 1:30!?!? I’m absolutely sure my car was the same and I hit all the turns.

The opponent car was already 0.64 secs at the start and pulling away. Amazing feat isn’t it?

It used to be that activating DRS meant that you really overtook the field. That is now useless because a Verstappen could run past you like you never existed.

• Agree 1

I’ve abandoned all duels, they are impossible to win. I’ve tried all I can’t with my car to maximise straight line performance and I’m still a Mobile chicane on the straights 

I've been persevering for some reason and within a few days have gone from a stable 9,999 trophies (minus 100 at times) to 8,500. After collecting my Suzuka rewards, my car is setting constant new best lap times, but I'm still the slowest car on the track in all race modes. I am most likely to come last or DNF due to being taken out by AI. I keep informing support but all I get is "Thank you. I will pass it on to our development team"

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, slayton said:

I've been persevering for some reason and within a few days have gone from a stable 9,999 trophies (minus 100 at times) to 8,500. After collecting my Suzuka rewards, my car is setting constant new best lap times, but I'm still the slowest car on the track in all race modes. I am most likely to come last or DNF due to being taken out by AI. I keep informing support but all I get is "Thank you. I will pass it on to our development team"

they keep lying about fixing it, see after update before the grid start problems keep occurs, even on sprint races, sometimes i feel my sensitivity so high and my car does not stay on the track(steering assist has gone)...

• Agree 2

Hello - I've been tracking this issue as a priority over the last few days and improvements look like they're on the way.

A tweak was made to the AI difficulty in higher Leagues last week that unintentionally made a lot of races impossible to win and/or made AI cars too fast to keep up with. After tracking the feedback, a change is now being implemented that will better balance the AI difficulty and give players a much better chance of winning. This will be added imminently, possibly as early as today. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hello - I've been tracking this issue as a priority over the last few days and improvements look like they're on the way.

A tweak was made to the AI difficulty in higher Leagues last week that unintentionally made a lot of races impossible to win and/or made AI cars too fast to keep up with. After tracking the feedback, a change is now being implemented that will better balance the AI difficulty and give players a much better chance of winning. This will be added imminently, possibly as early as today. Thank you. 

Is the update transparent or do we need to update the app again?

11 minutes ago, MannSG said:

Is the update transparent or do we need to update the app again?

No update will be needed on the players' side - once the change is made, it'll come into effect the next time you start up the game! 

Thanks for the updates Chris, looking forward to making it fun again.  It is clearly a very addictive game 😎

FYI - I was not very far into League 1 so kept playimg until I dropped into League 2 but didn't have any luck beating the AI there either.

• Agree 2

Grid races, sprint races feel like playing crush gear game on Playstation 1

22 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hi Chris.

If that fix was added, it wasn't a success... But, I think I have a better one for you!

I've lost 3500 trophies since last update. Most duels are indeed impossible to win now. I'm 5–15 secs behind players that should be significantly slower than me – regardless of race type (grid, sprint or qualifying). But after about 2000 trophies lost, I started to notice that all of these impossible duels actually have something in common: The opponents are never real players! They are always AI – just like the rest of the grid (and, for some reason, also super fast). In other words: I'm now only competitive when facing real, human opponents.

Anyway, here's my simple (but ingenious) fix: SKIP THE FAKE DUEL PLAYERS!

Yes, it will lead to more match-making failures. But I'd much rather wait a few extra seconds to get a real opponent, than having another, instant AI one that can't be beaten.

That's my 3,14 cents. (And now they're yours.)

Edited by RawTV
  • Agree 2

Just played 4 races, won 3 of them, felt like the pre-update. 

As of 14:30 GMT, I had better results so far today, went from 2 trophies back to 1 (1920 to 2326)with the Mercedes-AMG car at 2326 PI. I won all Qualifying, most Sprint and about 50% Grid races.

My test mode was to maximize consistency: all aids on, you only need to steer the car.  This seems match most of the bots speed. I tried to get two wheels on the gators in turns and did not try to touch/pass AI other than the AI Player. On tighter turns I'd tap the brake to avoid the oversteer feature added last week. I only tried to overtake by braking early and taking an inside line.

The Bot player still attempts to collide unprovoked, especially in grid mode still has a huge speed advantage once in the lead.

I just saw Chris post they are just now rolling out another update, will report back once that hits my device.

Guess I’ve not gotten the updates cos still getting pummeled. 

It’s not even funny anymore. 

Codemasters should seriously rollback trophy points lost. What took weeks to win lost in a matter of days

• Agree 1

No update for me yet. I'm still getting pummeled and smashed into from behind by the AI. Grid starts are still an automatic loss and the AI is unable to stay on the track.

Edited by xdakota80x
  • Agree 1

I just turned the aids off, got faster but had psyco AI problems and massive oversteering on some turns return.

Try turning all driving aids on and once ahead of the player bot, don't try to pass other bots.

Fair warning, my win ratio dropped once I got back to one trophy.  

Edited by StKnowhere

So it looks like we're seeing mixed results following the AI difficulty tweak. We'll need a little more time and data to make a proper assessment, so feel free to keep offering your feedback on this topic if you notice any change. 

There's a couple more topics in this thread so I wanted to ensure we're all up to date: 

Erratic AI behaviour - The team have been investigating this one for a while and are still trying to find a concrete solution. Yesterday's drop in AI difficulty should help with crashing/erratic AI somewhat, purely as the cars are travelling at a slower speed, but we know more needs to be done, and are investigating how to do that. 

Grid Start - as mentioned in another thread, the upcoming patch aims to include improvements to the Grid Start issue, where players are slower than opponents from the starting grid even if they get a Perfect Start. We know it's a hot topic and appear to have made a breakthrough in this area, so once that patch is live (either end of this week or start of next), any feedback on this would be hugely appreciated! 

1 hour ago, StKnowhere said:

Chris, is there a way to know what update we have?

I'll do 10 races now and come back.

All players have the same version as it's been a fair amount of time since we made the change, so don't worry about that 🙂

It would also be super useful if any feedback includes some info like what League players are in, PI level, assists being used, etc. I know that's asking a lot, but it can be massively helpful! 

Hi Chris, much better than yesterday, more like 3 weeks ago.

Just ran 10 races @ 1393 PI, all aids set to high.

• AI seen more sane and less vindictive but still bounce off walls and block track or set up road blocks at odd places.
  • Did not get taken out of any race by AI.
  • Collisions more survivable
  • Also harder to punt a bot 😉
  • Sprint races, opponent seems to always gain a +1 sec lead on start. 
  • Bot’s often jump ahead 2-3 sec @ sector 3

Race 1: Shanghi, Grid Start, bot spins out stops sidewise directly in front blocking track causing collision.

Race 2: Abu Dhabi, Sprint, bot behavior ok,

Race 3: Suzuki, Sprint, clean race, 

Race 4: Barcelona, qualifying, opponent behind .2 sec first 2 sectors, gained 2.6 sec sector 3

Race 5: Barcelona, Sprint, clean race

Race 6: Suzuka, Grid start, multiple "crazy bot" crashes but no contact with me.

Race 7: Aurodroma. Qualifying

Race 8: Sochi, Qualifying, opponent behind .2 sec first 2 sectors, gained 2.4 sec sector 3

Race 9: Marina, Grid start, started behind but was able to work to the front, good race.

Race 10: Shanghi, grid start, many bots had more speed towards the end, clean race until last turn were there was a NASCAR pile up blocking track.  

• All assists set to high.
  • Car is at 1393 PI, 3.4 SR
  • League 1, started test @ 2300 TP, ended @ 2500 TP, my highest TP was 3680 before the changes.

I forgot I had the assists on (due to some turns having massive oversteer).  Will try more races with them off.

Edited by StKnowhere

49 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

All players have the same version as it's been a fair amount of time since we made the change, so don't worry about that 🙂

It would also be super useful if any feedback includes some info like what League players are in, PI level, assists being used, etc. I know that's asking a lot, but it can be massively helpful! 

I just tried with aids off and won 2 out of 3 Grid starts vs very few the past couple of weeks.

Massive oversteer at some turns (turns > 90 degrees?) is the biggest aggravation now. Completing braking (line going green) before the turn works.  The inconsistancy is the aggravation. 

3 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

PI 1374

1 League 

No assists 

20 races summary:

Grid start is same as before, perfect launch, 1st gear same as AI, 2rd gear to end race the AI become fan boost like in Formula E. No chance to win duel. AI still 5-9 sec faster. From 20 duels was grid start 16 times! 

Sprint race 1 won. AI still faster than me. But the AI crashed oponnent. 

Qualification 1 of 3 won.

Car is more over steer. In 90°> corner still won't accelerate, like traction control enabled. 

When is in challenge task to complete duel on specific track 0% of duels is on this track until i skip the challenge. 

Edited by Cvaso
Edit

Not  much luck with grid starts later in the day, slow player starts/hyper fast bots on launch and multi bot NASCAR crashes blocking track. Player bot's are still too fast, 3-4 sec faster than me in clean race. Grid starts won previously were probably more luck getting through most of the pack and ahead of opponent  first few turns. 

Several good sprints against human opponents (I think). Losses were due to better opponent and my mistake

Still think overall AI behavior is better/more survivable except not falling in line for grid mode (3-4 wide in first turn).  I'm able to win most winnable races.  Spawning players closer to the front of the grid would help

Assists on high to mitigate the oversteer, did not try to pass bots once in lead.

PI = 1393

TP -              Started @ 2680, ended 2656 ???

qualifying - 3W

sprint -      4W, 2L 

grid     -     0W, 3L 

Edited by StKnowhere