So, could somebody with the PS4 or Xbox version put me out of my misery, and tell me about the FOV setting?

Do we have a field-of-view setting on the consoles? Because the videos so far suggest the FOV on console is like Dirt 4. That is to say, too high. So everything outside the car looks a bit squished and narrow, and the road weirdly flares out in front of you...

4 minutes ago, CMMcBabe said:

The field of view setting is not present on Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

@CMMcBabe

Ok, thanks for the reply. Is the FOV similar to Dirt 4, or similar to the first Dirt Rally? It seemed to be higher in D4.

I get that the slider may be tricky to do on consoles, due to frame rate issues. But I know Project Cars manages to do it...

Any chance we could get this in an update?

In the alternative, can I suggest dialling back the default FOV for consoles so we get a 'natural' view, not an artificial one?

• Agree 1

Orrrrr.... could Codies perhaps confirm that the FOV is lower this time around, then in Dirt 4?

D4 Field of View on the Xbox was dreadful. It was too high - the road splayed out in a weird fashion in front of you, and everything was too narrow. Objects on the roadside visibly distorted as you spun around.

A terrible decision by Codies - would be good to know it has not been repeated...

@Jake Cushing I've got some Cockpit camera footage on YouTube (link in signature) if that helps with figuring out the FOV.

I mainly drive in Bumper cam and didn't notice anything too different from previous titles.

• Thanks 1

The FoV is the same as it was in DiRT4.

I'm sorry if the FoV is not to your personal preference but we have to cater for a wide variety of players and the sense of speed we feel is correct.

If console performance allows us to in the future, we would of course look into adding the FoV for console users as well.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, cmMikeRobson said:

I'm sorry if the FoV is not to your personal preference but we have to cater for a wide variety of players and the sense of speed we feel is correct.

If console performance allows us to in the future, we would of course look into adding the FoV for console users as well.

@cmMikeRobson Thank you, that's much appreciated. May I humbly suggest this would be a very worthwhile update, as it can make a substantial difference to the feel of the game. There are some like myself, who would gladly trade a small sense-of-speed, for a more 'you are there' feel which can come with a smaller FOV. Thanks again.

• Like 1

It’s not perfect but using the dashboard view is closer to a “right” FOV. I was 7-10 seconds faster per sector rather than cockpit hand and wheel setting.

Is Codemasters going to add cockpit camera adjustment for xbox and ps4, like up down and forward back.

Many console users with sim setups were asking for FOV adjustment on Dirt Rally 1 and on Dirt 4.   I know graphics engines are different but other titles have FOV adjustment that does not change the performance of the game.  (pCARS and AC for example).  If setting a higher angle lowers performance than limit it on that end. Most people who use FOV want to lower it to make it closer to 1:1 using a FOV calculator.   Poor design choice in my opinion. 

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2019 at 4:13 PM, cmMikeRobson said:

@cmMikeRobson As others have mentioned, the majority of us want to LOWER the default FOV. This will in fact increase the performance, as less of the surroundings are being rendered on screen. Therefore the solution to this problem is, on consoles, to include a slider where the highest point is what it is defaulted at now (i believe its around 50 degrees vertical), and allow us to slide it down from there. 

Please pass this on to the dev's so it can be implemented. 

Many thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Je vais en prendre note lundi.

Merci pour vos commentaires.

Thank you verry mutch because in my PS4 the view inside the car are very slow. if you can please patch this and alsow your game are just amazing thank you for your hardwork !!

On 2/24/2019 at 12:24 AM, cmMikeRobson said:

I will make a note of this on Monday.

Thank you for the feedback.

@cmMikeRobson Please do keep us posted on this, if you can. Appreciate your time, thank you.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:28 AM, PJTierney said:

@Jake Cushing I've got some Cockpit camera footage on YouTube (link in signature) if that helps with figuring out the FOV.

I mainly drive in Bumper cam and didn't notice anything too different from previous titles.

@PJTierney

Hi PJ, as you were so kind before as to mention the videos you made, I was wondering if you might be able to make one with the FOV set to its lowest allowable level? 

I've been playing DR2.0 on the XBOX and comparing it with the original Dirt Rally. It looks and feels so different. Everything outside is smaller, and you just don't feel like you're in a car, the same as you did with the original. Mountains don't loom before you, they just remain off to the distance and small. It feels more 'gamey', like not so much driving, as directing the car almost like it's an RTS or third-person game or something. Hard to explain. Anyway, just a thought, understand if it's a hassle!

@Jake Cushing Hi there.

From what I can see there are no FOV options available on the Xbox One version of DiRT Rally 2.0. I certainly haven't seen anything in the menus.

There are button commands for seat position but I don't think that's what you're after.

Speaking of FOV, I normally race in Bumper Camera, where everything tends to fly at you rather quickly. I did a few Stages in Bonnet Camera last night and the environment seemed to move by at a much lower pace. I wonder if that's because of a different FOV setting and not just the increased height from the ground.

Oh heck, sorry @PJTierney - it completely escaped my attention that you're an xbox player! Sorry, it's late over here (Australia)

I was hoping you had a PC set-up so a low FOV could be seen.

Ne'mind - and thank you for your response. Yes, at present on xbox we have no FOV slider. Mike R has said above he would look into it for us, so my fingers are crossed!

Meantime, if anybody else is reading this and could do a video on the PC with a low FOV, that would be appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, cmMikeRobson said:

I will make a note of this on Monday.

Thank you for the feedback.

@cmMikeRobson Please can we have an update on the FOV settings for consoles situation? Many thanks!

• Agree 1

@cmMikeRobson please fix the graphics on xbox one s and ps4, many forums have complained about this problem, and are tired of not seeing everything blurry, I hope it can be solved as soon as possible.:classic_sleep:

• Agree 1

+100000000 to this. Pleeeeease provide a FOV update for consoles. The XB1X has more than enough computing power to handle, and as others noted make the default the Max, that way we can narrow the FOV if desired.

• Like 1

Hi there, i have a ps4 pro and are pretty dissapointed to be honest, can anybody explain why the Xbox One X is in 4k but the ps4 pro is only in 1080p? Im not a technical wizard by any means but this is not the reason i bought a ps4 pro and 4k tv, the game and replays look fantastic on the Xbox One X, thanks

52 minutes ago, Kdtomcat said:

Hi there, i have a ps4 pro and are pretty dissapointed to be honest, can anybody explain why the Xbox One X is in 4k but the ps4 pro is only in 1080p? Im not a technical wizard by any means but this is not the reason i bought a ps4 pro and 4k tv, the game and replays look fantastic on the Xbox One X, thanks

The simple reason appears to be that Codemasters haven't felt that it is worth the effort. PS4 Pro support was added late in development for Dirt 4 and kept 1080p but with a few increased settings like shadow detail that you'd probably only notice when stationary. DR2 uses the graphics engine from Dirt 4 as a base and they added Xbox One X support for Dirt Rally 2 at the very start of development and it was done properly with 4K support. For some reason Codemasters didn't bother to redo PS4 Pro support so PS4 version is still stuck with lacklustre 1080p. If Codemasters had put proper effort into it the game should run at 1440p no problem.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

@hobsgrg do you think will solve this problem ???😕

For Dirt Rally 2 they have switched to Temporal Anti Aliasing which is a different form of anti-aliasing used in the first game, I don't believe they will change the version of Anti-Aliasing used now.

Xbox One S version in particularly I don't feel there is any chance as the game already has to dynamically drop resolution and also use screen tearing as it can't reliably hit 1080p at 60fps. Quite simply the X1S version is already struggling to maintain performance as-is. If they couldn't/wouldn't get performance perfect during development they certainly won't be doing anything major now, especially as it could exacerbate the current performance issues.

Base PS4 runs pretty much perfectly at the moment performance wise, if you change the AA and introduce performance problems you'd just be switching one problem (blurriness) for another (performance dips) and I can't see them investing a lot of time to make sure you don't have either problem