Logitech G27 causes stuttering when plugged in

1 minute ago, Peter Mathen said:

I'm having the same stutter every 2-3s and have no Logitech wheel, using Fanatec. For me it seems how CM is reading the HID devices, because some people could solve it by disabling the in game not needed HID. But for sure this is definitely a problem on CM side. Never had this problem with another program. 

What devices are displayed in the connected input device management screen?

9 minutes ago, CM Adrian Paul Smith said:

What devices are displayed in the connected input device management screen?

Keyboard, Thrustmaster Shifter, F16 MFD 1, Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base Playstation 4

image.png.fe8b7422217dc302f1989437d16ba453.png

25 minutes ago, CM Adrian Paul Smith said:

Thanks @Peter Mathen , If you unplug the F16 button box does the stutter go away?

No change it's stuttering as before if the F16 is removed before Dirt Rally 2 is started.

But if removed when DR 2 is already running it seems to be gone.

Checked it 2 times so I needed some time. For me this means it's not really connected to the F16 but it helps DR 2 when 1 HID ist lost if DR is already running.

1 hour ago, Peter Mathen said:

No change it's stuttering as before if the F16 is removed before Dirt Rally 2 is started.

But if removed when DR 2 is already running it seems to be gone.

Checked it 2 times so I needed some time. For me this means it's not really connected to the F16 but it helps DR 2 when 1 HID ist lost if DR is already running.

Re-checked a 3rd time:

• Started DR 2 with all devices plugged in -> stutter -> unplugged the F16 box while DR 2 running -> stutter gone
  • Stopped DR 2 and started it again (F16 still unplugged) -> stutter -> unplugged next device the shifter -> stutter gone 

The same with MSI Afterburner running or not, Steam overlay activated or not.

So I think it's not connected to a special device or driver as some people are saying, also not connected to MSI afterburner, RTSS or Steam overlay. From my view it's more connected how CM is reading the HID devices.

Edited by Peter Mathen
added Afterburner info
  • Like 2

Interesting, this just started happening for me - @CMMcBabe hit me up in the private area if you want to do further testing with me, running G27 and generic handbrake.

I had this issue in DR 1, I wish I could remember what I did to fix it, but I vaugely remember that running the Dirt Rally executable as administrator may have been the thing that fixed it. Or it could have been changing usb ports but from what I remember I think it was one of those things.

Hope this helps.

I have not had this reoccur since doing the following (and i think i know what started it out of the blue) I have  G27 and a generic USB handbrake.

No items disabled in device manager

Once in game, watching the little dust particles for the stutter, i unplugged my G27, waited for the game to register loss of controller and observed the dust no longer hitching/stuttering.

Plugged G27 back in and waited for game to register new controller.

Confirmed the dust was still smooth.  Had to alt tab out and back in for the profiler to give me my full DOR back again though.

It has not happened again since i did this, and i believe the cause originally was not having my handbrake fully plugged in when i loaded the game, and then fixing that (plugging in fully) whilst on the start line because i couldn't pull the handbrake.

@CM Adrian Paul SmithAny new about this? This is still and issue. Currently G29 unplug+plug does not help. It's just matter of luck if I can play the game. 50% of the time it's ok, rest is not. Unplayable. 

• Like 1

Sorry, i meant to come back and update from my post above - i do get this issue most of the time now, i have a perfect work around, but it's just that, a work around.

Once i verify the stutter issue on the stage camera pan screen (when it first loads) i do the following:

1) Open device manager

2) Expand Human Interface Devices

3) I choose the 3rd from the bottom, and disable it (i only choose this because it doesn't disable my wheel, keyboard or mouse)

image.png.3231075426f6d1878842aa4d5d85d1fa.png

4) Re-enable it again

5) Close device manager.

That's it, that fixes the issue until the next time you unplug your wheel and plug it back in again.

6 hours ago, CM Adrian Paul Smith said:

@zenixinous @F2CMaDMaXX Out of curiosity what is your average framerate when the stutter occurs?

Thanks for answering. I've fiddled with lot's of settings looking for a cause. Usually stutter occurs at 55-70fps. I've also encountered 80+. I have FPS shown in my top corner and during the stutter, that number is not affected at all.

@CM Adrian Paul Smith I lock mine to 70, for pacing reasons, obviously it's 60 in the menus.

What I can say is that the split-second drop it stutter is a regular repeating occurance every 4-5 seconds (haven't timed it yet)

It occurs in all areas of the game, right from the main menu (can watch the dust particles glitch) all through to running a stage.

Posted (edited)

On my PC I average around 100 fps (sometimes closer to the refresh of 165, sometimes closer to 60 on stages like Argentina in the rain.) The USB-related stutter seems completely independent of framerate or general game performance. The work-around for me is exactly what @F2CMaDMaXX posted above. And as he said, it occurs even in the main menu.

Edited by ShodanCat

Some time my USB devices also gets automatically disconnected. With my previous computer, usually my gear shifter detached. That was quite annoying. (I upgraded my whole setup from scratch. ) With my new setup, i get detaching of devices only seldom.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, CM Adrian Paul Smith said:

@zenixinous @F2CMaDMaXX Out of curiosity what is your average framerate when the stutter occurs?

Frame Time what is important not the Avg Frame Rate IMO.

Yeah me to join the Club of stutter.  Two days ago with no reason start to stutter.  I have Logitech momo 🙂 i try do change USB port, enable,  Disable but with no efect.  In my case solve was instalacji New Intel chipset driver 

• Like 1

Same here. Game unplayable when I connect a G27 in VR mod. No probleme with a Xbox controller.
Does not happened in Dirt Rally 1, AC, ACC, PCars2.

After investigate a lot I found that my USB C to VGA connector connected to my nvidia RTX2080 for my principal monitor make these stutter hapened when I connect my G27 in VR mod..... While my screen is disabled in the nvidia setting panel! But a physical disconnection fixed the issu.