Logitech G27 causes stuttering when plugged in

Well, this is a new one for me. For some reason I get a regular stutter about every two seconds with my Logitech G27 wheel plugged in. Googling shows me this has cropped up for a bunch of people playing the Dirt games with Logitech wheels over the past couple of years. Has anyone found a fix?

Are you using USB Hub?

Did you tried different USB port?

Did you checked if old games stutter too now?

Same problem for me with a Thrustmaster T500rs.  Had this problem in Dirt 4 and it rendered the game unplayable for me, and I am having this problem in Dirt rally 2.0 as well, the game runs without stutters when I only use a gamepad ( same as dirt 4 ) But with a wheel plugged in it stutters like crazy.  Try unplugging your wheel and play only with a keyboard and see if it stutters then.. This is a video with the issue I had in dirt 4

Making a racing game with wheel support seems extremely difficult... Oh no, wait.. many other companies has done it!

Edited by Hinjima
  • Like 1

Yep, it's smooth when I play with a gamepad or keyboard, but the second the wheel is plugged in, the issue returns. Here's my video to demonstrate (watch the FPS/refresh counter in the top right, but you can also see it when I tried driving a little.)

It almost seems like a polling issue with USB and wheels. NVIDIA also introduced a USB controller into their latest RTX video cards. I wonder if there is a connection there? Anyway, NV just released new drivers today that supports DiRT Rally 2.0. Download those and give it another shot.

Im using the g27 and since 00h i have zero problems. 

Core i5 3570k;

Nvidia Gtx980.

1 hour ago, ShodanCat said:

User "BikerPilot" over on Steam posted a nice visual frametime graph pointing out what the issue looks like on paper:

https://send.maketheory.com/viewer?File=6a9469b2-1b47-4665-b17b-80f33109e3b7.png

Was just about to post this haha, that frametime graph definitely shows that some crazy stuff is happening....  They didn't fix it for Dirt 4 ( it had this issue as well ) but I hope they can fix it here.  When I unplug my USB TH8A shifter and only leave my T500rs wheel plugged in the stutters goes away,  but once I plug the shifter back in the stutters start. I refuse to drive with the paddle shifter. @ShodanCat I want you to know that they replied to my twitter 'rant' and they are aware of the issue and investigating 🙂

• Like 1

been using the G27 since DR1 and not had a issue, plugged into a USB port on the back of the PC into a Motherboard USB slot.

PC now runs on Ryzen 5 1600X with GTX 1050 ti,

and for DR1 I was running it on AMD FX chip and a radeon HD6670 GPU

Hi @ShodanCat

What drivers are you using? As far as I know you need to use the older drivers before they where bundled in the Logitech Gaming Software for the G25 and G27.

Since its an older wheel I have also seen issues when using this wheel with a USB 3.0 port.

3 hours ago, CM Adrian Paul Smith said:

Hi @ShodanCat

What drivers are you using? As far as I know you need to use the older drivers before they where bundled in the Logitech Gaming Software for the G25 and G27.

Since its an older wheel I have also seen issues when using this wheel with a USB 3.0 port.

@CM Adrian Paul Smith They are the latest drivers, but I have been using those since they came out in 2016 for Dirt Rally and many other sims with no problems.

If you go to this Steam discussion link, you'll see many people are reporting this with various wheels, including Thrustmaster ones, and at least one person who gets it with the TM TH8 shifter:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/690790/discussions/0/1798529872642131870/

edit: And just to clarify, I've tried every combination of USB ports (putting my mouse/keyboard in USB 3.0 and the G27 in 2.0, vice versa, having NOTHING else connected but the wheel (into 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.1 ports), plugging the wheel in to a powered USB hub but nothing else, vice versa, having the mouse/keyboard plugged in to the hub but the wheel into the motherboard and vice versa, etc. etc.

Edited by ShodanCat

@ShodanCat For curiosity's sake, exactly which version drivers do you have? Disabled Shadowplay / Radeon Relive / Steam Overlay? These are the drivers and software I have installed and working without issues:

1238066536_G27Driverversions.thumb.PNG.665f19a1c696014cd1fa20a6094e77dc.PNG

Edited by nbates66
clarification

I am using a T500rs + TH8A USB shifter ( not connected to the DIN slot in the wheel as my wheel did not come with that DIN slot )  When I unplug my TH8A the stutters goes away even with the T500rs wheel plugged in, but when I plug the shifter back in the stutters starts instantly. I don't have to restart the game for the stutters to go away or come back, it all happens when I stand on track. I refuse to play this game without my shifter however, I dont like using my paddles.  I have read that more people than me have this issue with the TH8A on other Thrustmaster wheels such as the t300 and TX base.  I have also tried all USB ports in different ways and combinations and even removed my KB and Mouse but the stutters are still there with the shifter connected... Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0 is the only game that does this though.

just coming back to this again with a lil more info. if i load up game with both TX base and G25 gearbox connected i get constant frame drops 56-60 set your watch by them, even on menu screens, if i unplug the gearbox, stutter goes away......

until i reload the game, which now stutters WITHOUT the G25 box connected. the only way iv found around this is to load in game with G25 box then unplug once the stutter begins

just some observations

MM

Edited by mickeeiemouse

1 hour ago, nbates66 said:

@ShodanCat For curiosity's sake, exactly which version drivers do you have? Disabled Shadowplay / Radeon Relive / Steam Overlay? These are the drivers and software I have installed and working without issues:

1238066536_G27Driverversions.thumb.PNG.665f19a1c696014cd1fa20a6094e77dc.PNG

They are the latest drivers posted on Logitech’s support page (latest is dated 2016 I think). No overlays, tools or anything running that would interfere. Remember, this isn’t isolated to Logitech users.

User "Reaktor01" posted a temporary work-around over on the Steam discussion thread. I have tested this and it does work, although it obviously shouldn't be a required step to enjoy DR2. Basically just start Dirt Rally 2, then go into your Device Manager and open the Human Interface Devices section. While DR2 is running, go down the list of "USB input devices" and right click -> disable device, one by one, checking DR2 each time to see if the stutter disappears. One of them should cure the stuttering. It did for me - but again, Codies please take the time to look into this more thoroughly.

42 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

It did for me - but again, Codies please take the time to look into this more thoroughly.

Which device made the difference? What's the motherboard model?

10 hours ago, ShodanCat said:

User "Reaktor01" posted a temporary work-around over on the Steam discussion thread. I have tested this and it does work, although it obviously shouldn't be a required step to enjoy DR2. Basically just start Dirt Rally 2, then go into your Device Manager and open the Human Interface Devices section. While DR2 is running, go down the list of "USB input devices" and right click -> disable device, one by one, checking DR2 each time to see if the stutter disappears. One of them should cure the stuttering. It did for me - but again, Codies please take the time to look into this more thoroughly.

This worked for me as well, I didn't log into the game to do this though! I just disabled all the USB devices in Human Interface Devices that had no affect, I found what one was mouse / KB etc and disabled the rest 🙂 Now my game is stutter free even with my TH8A plugged in! Wohoo.

I had that issue in DR when I had a gamepad plugged in alongside my G27. I got used to unplugging unused controllers before starting any Dirt since then. 

I haven't had stuttering in DR2 and that's on my good old AMD FX 8370e.

mainly this happens either usb issue , geoforce experience is installed. certain gpu driver. or steering wheel driver installed incorrectly. on logitech wheels when installing driver and this sounds basic but causes lots of issues make sure when installing you dont plug the wheel in first. install logitech software wait to be prompted then when it says plug in the wheel. plugging in the wheel first then doing it can on different os and win 10 builds give different oddities.

Could people having the bug to do with stuttering using a wheel please send their dxdiag to dirtgame@codemasters.com?  we will see if we can repro the bug locally with PCs to the same spec.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMMcBabe said:

Could people having the bug to do with stuttering using a wheel please send their dxdiag to dirtgame@codemasters.com?  we will see if we can repro the bug locally with PCs to the same spec.

Will do. Can you post this request on the Steam discussion thread as well? Probably more users will see it there.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, dgeesi0 said:

mainly this happens either usb issue , geoforce experience is installed. certain gpu driver. or steering wheel driver installed incorrectly. on logitech wheels when installing driver and this sounds basic but causes lots of issues make sure when installing you dont plug the wheel in first. install logitech software wait to be prompted then when it says plug in the wheel. plugging in the wheel first then doing it can on different os and win 10 builds give different oddities.

I'm having the same stutter every 2-3s and have no Logitech wheel, using Fanatec. For me it seems how CM is reading the HID devices, because some people could solve it by disabling the in game not needed HID. But for sure this is definitely a problem on CM side. Never had this problem with another program. 

• Like 1