FOV in Dirt Rally 2.0

Hello!

In the options there is a slider "Narrow to Wide" depicting the field of view, but how is it related to an actual Field of View (being horizontal or vertical) ? I would like to set it right for my seating position/screen size.

(I mean, I would like to have something like : Narrow is FOV 36, Wide is FOV 76, and each step between is 2 or something like that...)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Default is 55. It moves in increments of 5. Going up to 70, or down to 35.

Just big thanks for fast and clear answer 🙂 

I just had the time to test it this morning before going to work, but first impressions is very good, back to the true rally simulation we loved with Dirt Rally. Congrats to Codemasters 

• Like 1

No problem.

I have noted it that we should display what the value is to the player. Hopefully we can integrate this moving forward in service or future titles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

25 minutes ago, cmMikeRobson said:

No problem.

I have noted it that we should display what the value is to the player. Hopefully we can integrate this moving forward in service or future titles.

Good to hear. Can you confirm if it's horizontal or vertical and which camera views does it affect? Project Immersion site suggest codies use vFOV x2. Is that still the case? If so there is a good tool here Project Immersion to set a realistic FOV in game for your particular setup.

Edited by Slim

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

Good to hear. Can you confirm if it's horizontal or vertical and which camera views does it affect? Project Immersion site suggest codies use vFOV x2. Is that still the case? If so there is a good tool here Project Immersion to set a realistic FOV in game for your particular setup.

It works as the website suggests. So both horizontal and vertical.

You can change it on bumper, bonnet and head camera.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:00 AM, cmMikeRobson said:

@cmMikeRobson This can't be correct. There are 5 clicks to the left and 5 clicks to the right of the default/centre, so if the centre is 55 and the increments are in 5's, then the furthest left on the slider would be 30, and the furthest right on the slider would be 80. Please can you confirm the correct numbers. Many thanks.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, A-M-A-R-85 said:

@cmMikeRobson This can't be correct. There are 5 clicks to the left and 5 clicks to the right of the default/centre, so if the centre is 55 and the increments are in 5's, then the furthest left on the slider would be 30, and the furthest right on the slider would be 80. Please can you confirm the correct numbers. Many thanks.

Sorry, seems I can't read my own work 😣

The range is 30 to 70. Default is 55. It would mean that the increments moving up are 3, but down is 5. Which is a little strange so I'll ask around as it's not quite how I intended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is as intended so what I said was correct.

I'll add feedback that having the value exposed may be of use to the player.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cmMikeRobson said:

@cmMikeRobson Many thanks for clearing that up, I must say you are doing a very good job here. If you do end up exposing the values to players, please also let them know what the numbers mean i.e. DEGREES VERTICALLY, to avoid even more confusion from the players!

One more thing Mike. In OSD Settings there is an option to turn ON and OFF the Instrument Cluster. This options work in all views APART from cockpit view, where it is never visible even when ON is selected. 

This is a big problem because in some cars and/or depending on your FOV you will not be able to see what gear you are in. Knowing what gear you are in is very important, especially for those of us who don't have H-pattern shifters. 

PLEASE PLEASE can you add the option to turn it ON or OFF in cockpit view, as it is in every other view. That way everyone is happy- those who want it on or off. I know i'm not the only one effected by this as it is complained about in many forums since Dirt Rally 1.

This would be very much appreciated! Thank you

Edited by A-M-A-R-85
  • Agree 4

23 hours ago, cmMikeRobson said:

Thanks for clarification.

I was also wondering why this fov setting does not apply to the dash cam ?

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, cmMikeRobson said:

hi, i play on steam with triple screen setup fullscreen mode 5760 x 1080 and this value

0.0>30

0.1>34

0.2>38

0.3>42

0.4>46

0.5>50

0.6>54

0.7>58

0.8>62

0.9>66

1.0>70

are not right , 0.5 look like 35° FOV vertiale

So my question is I got a recommended FOV of 60 on the project immersion website. Should I set my FOV to 60 or 30 because it's x2? 

in all game like Rfactor2 Assetto corsa.... your vFov is 30° in Dirt to (first position in slider when you are in single screen setup ) 

60 is value if you change Fov in Dirt directory

'eyefinity_cameras_adjustments.xml' with Wordpad and locate the following section:

<CameraAdjustment class="Head">
    <Fov angle="70" />
    <Tilt percent="100" />
    <Position x="0.0" y="0.0" z="30.0" />
</CameraAdjustment>

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rigle said:

So my question is I got a recommended FOV of 60 on the project immersion website. Should I set my FOV to 60 or 30 because it's x2? 

As Alex mentioned, you would set it to 30 (the furthest left on the slider). The figures on the project immersion website are if you change them in the configuration files, as only there do they need to be doubled. 

Edited by A-M-A-R-85
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, AlexSchouba said:

hi, i play on steam with triple screen setup fullscreen mode 5760 x 1080 and this value

0.0>30

0.1>34

0.2>38

0.3>42

0.4>46

0.5>50

0.6>54

0.7>58

0.8>62

0.9>66

1.0>70

are not right , 0.5 look like 35° FOV vertiale

Those numbers are not used in Dirt Rally 2.0. As per what developer @cmMikeRobson has told us in here, they now look like this (first number is the number of clicks left or right from the centre). Whether you play on triples or not wont matter as the number on the right are degrees vertically, not horizontally, so it will be the same either way:

-5 = 30vfov

-4 = 35vfov

-3 = 40vfov

-2 = 45vfov

-1 = 50vfov

0  = 55vfov

+1 = 58vfov

+2 = 61vfov

+3 = 64vfov

+4 = 67vfov

+5 = 70vfov

Maybe @cmMikeRobson can also confirm these numbers are correct for you and all others. 

Edited by A-M-A-R-85
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlexSchouba said:

in all game like Rfactor2 Assetto corsa.... your vFov is 30° in Dirt to (first position in slider when you are in single screen setup ) 

60 is value if you change Fov in Dirt directory

'eyefinity_cameras_adjustments.xml' with Wordpad and locate the following section:

<CameraAdjustment class="Head">
    <Fov angle="70" />
    <Tilt percent="100" />
    <Position x="0.0" y="0.0" z="30.0" />
</CameraAdjustment>

Where this file eyefinity_cameras _adjustments. xml is located? I can't find it

On 3/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, A-M-A-R-85 said:

Those numbers are not used in Dirt Rally 2.0. As per what developer @cmMikeRobson has told us in here, they now look like this (first number is the number of clicks left or right from the centre). Whether you play on triples or not wont matter as the number on the right are degrees vertically, not horizontally, so it will be the same either way:

-5 = 30vfov

-4 = 35vfov

-3 = 40vfov

-2 = 45vfov

-1 = 50vfov

0  = 55vfov

+1 = 58vfov

+2 = 61vfov

+3 = 64vfov

+4 = 67vfov

+5 = 70vfov

Maybe @cmMikeRobson can also confirm these numbers are correct for you and all others. 

ok

try it

Edited by AlexSchouba

it's nothing but think it's 4° to 4° like Dirt Rally 1

-5 = 30vfov

-4 = 34vfov

-3 = 38vfov

-2 = 42vfov

-1 = 46vfov

0  = 50vfov

+1 = 54vfov

+2 = 58vfov

+3 = 62vfov

+4 = 66vfov

+5 = 70vfov

à voir

Edited by AlexSchouba
  • Disagree 1

For those of you who don't appreciate how important the FOV slider is, take a look at the two videos below. This is huge for console gamers like me, because DR2.0 on consoles has no slider for FOV, unlike the PC version. With a high FOV (ie the default), you can't see the road as clearly. I'm not the only one without a ginormous TV screen. It also makes it unfair to play against PC players on the leaderboards, when they have an FOV slider and can reduce the FOV.

(You may want to switch off the volume on the first video, as the commentator is very annoying). Start the first video about 1.15 in to see the cockpit tarmac comparison across the two videos. First video has a lower (natural) FOV. Second has the default high FOV. @cmMikeRobson

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

While it lies on my shelf collecting dust that guy doing the review is mastarbating over the grass. Over 1 minute and a half purely on the grass in that review 🤡

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

While it lies on my shelf collecting dust that guy doing the review is mastarbating over the grass. Over 1 minute and a half purely on the grass in that review 🤡

Hey it’s good grass. Shame you’re incapable of enjoying it 🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, afahoy said:

Hey it’s good grass. Shame you’re incapable of enjoying it 🙁

I agree. This grass is better even than real life... for those of us who suffer with hayfever. Thank you, CM for allowing me to enjoy all the beauty of the great outdoors; nose un-snottied, eyes unitched.