FOV in Dirt Rally 2.0

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

I understand that changing the FOV values on console has implications for the graphical load placed on the game/console itself, in terms of how many assets need to be drawn or culled.

On PC you can get away with changing FOV because there's greater variety in player hardware and graphics settings as a whole.

Decreasing fov as hes talking about should only give less load on the hardware, right? More narrow fov - less objects to render.

Edited by somethingthing

13 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Decreasing fov as hes talking about should only give less load on the hardware, right? More narrow fov - less objects to render.

Indeed.

I imagine it was an all or nothing decision.

I know it's not ideal, but the dashboard cameras may help as a workaround for some players since they have a narrower focus.

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, PJTierney said:

I know it's not ideal, but the dashboard cameras may help as a workaround for some players since they have a narrower focus.

I use only cockpit camera (chasing some realistic immersion you know) and I want narrower FOV for that, just like serious racing games do...Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2 etc, and also with consoles.

I still do not understand why you dropped FOV out from console versions.
Or is it with PC version that changing FOV will affect all of cameras?

Happily those zoom/move adjustments with my TV are more than great, so it´s pretty good workaround but I have to change aspect ratio after every stages because it hide menus.

One thing I hope for DiRT Rally 3.0, do not forget all these improvements what done to DR1 and DR2, so start from point where we got, not from scratch.

Edited by MJV1973
  • Agree 3

The FOV calculator for Dirt Rally 2 says I need 19.6 degrees of FOV for my 24 inch monitor that is 33+ inch away and the slider should be -5/-4. If I've read the above correctly is -5 to the left of default? this is all new to me as I've always raced bonnet view and never even thought about FOV before. It's a completely different driving experience.

I don't know if Codies realise but the only reason the default FoV is set so wide back is because it's all tuned by Jon Armstrong... and athough he looks super quiet and restrained in persona, I have on very good authority he actually wears these leather garment things with internal spikes under his pants to make it even more painful as an extra masochism thing, true story

• Haha 2

Hi all, I've read throuh all these pages about FOV settings but I just cant understand how I should set up my triple 27" @ 7860x1440 with a distance of 26" to the screen.

What should i set the Fov slider to?  😞

28 minutes ago, OlaWiktander said:

Hi all, I've read throuh all these pages about FOV settings but I just cant understand how I should set up my triple 27" @ 7860x1440 with a distance of 26" to the screen.

What should i set the Fov slider to?  😞

Hey mate. Use this website https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html . On this website there are 2 sliders, so put in your details (for the size of screen one, you need to put the diagonal of 1 screen, so 27"). You will then notice under the picture of the cars, it shows Dirt Rally 2 details.  So for example if your eyes are 24" away from the screen, you should set the in game slider to -5 (left) clicks from the center.  Hope this helps buddy

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, A-M-A-R-85 said:

Hey mate. Use this website https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html . On this website there are 2 sliders, so put in your details (for the size of screen one, you need to put the diagonal of 1 screen, so 27"). You will then notice under the picture of the cars, it shows Dirt Rally 2 details.  So for example if your eyes are 24" away from the screen, you should set the in game slider to -5 (left) clicks from the center.  Hope this helps buddy

Thanks mate, i have had a look at that page but is it correct to set the display size to 27" and distance to 26" and then the aspect ratio to 16:9 when my aspekt ratio triples is 48:9.

Or is it the same settings for one single 27" as for triples?

So, I'm still interested in this topic... As an Xbox player (ie 'Second-Class Dirt Rally Citizen'), I've made the game playable with the 'mother of all kludges', using my television zoom to simulate hardware FoV. Like other players. Pathetic outcome in 2020 I know.

But what do I miss out on since I'm using my television, rather than the proper software FoV that PC players only get? Does the game maintain the same resolution and detail at all FoVs? What about controls - is the control resolution the same or is it compensated for?

Or is it exactly the same thing in the end, and basically just a zoom?

Thank God the game has its dials in a position that with some lateral-shift on the television, I can at least have the gear number still visible in the lower right-hand side. Menus of course are stuffed but it's all still doable... just.