Remove Always Online for the Career!

Remove Always Online for Career?  

139 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Please Remove Always Online for Career

• Yes please! Remove it.
    • Leave it in!

39 minutes ago, 10047283 said:

If they are following ubisoft policies with mandatory connections i will stop to buy their games ūüė°ūüė°

Even Ubisoft allow you offline singleplayer saves in AC oddysey atleast. It simply updates/syncs next time you go online. You hardly know when youre offline or online.

Dirt Rally 2.0 though is putting faith in thier own server and the internet infrastructure of all its customers. Which is a very big gamble and one that will  burn them and thier reputation. Especially if server goes down from ddos or hacking attacks.

To me it makes sense for codemasters to control the individual user experience rather than in the worlds internet infrastructure. What happens if some deep sea cables get cut? or you get on the bad end of a congested route to CM's servers? Or someone tries to extort money by ddosing CM's servers? Theres so many variables that are out of codemasters control here.

With that said the sensible thing to do is make single career available offline.

• Agree 5

Wish there could be an "indifferent" option to this.

I really do not care if it's always online or not, but as long as I get to crash into trees because I am a scrub who uses a keyboard drive quickly and not die. I'm fine.

• Haha 1

Sounds like they added this online requirement based on supposed user feedback to get them to crack down on cheaters?  Though when have people been particularly concerned about people cheating in their single player careers?  I don't care if people cheat in single player, it's their career, if that experience pleases them so be it.  

• Agree 3

How can you cheat in single player in this day and age? That just doesn't make sense. Perhaps show your wife or mother that you do 1s stage?

53 minutes ago, MarcoMaas said:

Partly yes.

Stop swaying away from the fact that it is just bad design to require an internet connection for single play. For multiplayer and online challenges I totally get it, but for single player carreer it is just bad design.

Having racenet unavailable makes this all to clear to all of us except you.

When did I sway away from the fact? I said quite clearly here in the below I don't think its a good design. If you're going to argue then at least read my previous points:

Anyone else want to ignore what I've written?

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken

Having to be connected to the internet at all times and using the game UI like a web page waiting for the server is really not acceptable at all times.  I understand if there is an ONLINE campaign and OFFLINE campaign mode though or something if absolutely necessary.  Thanks for listening to your users Codies.

2 minutes ago, bn880 said:

Devoir être connecté à Internet à tout moment et utiliser l'interface du jeu comme une page Web en attente du serveur n'est vraiment pas acceptable à tout moment. Je comprends s'il existe une campagne EN LIGNE et un mode campagne HORS LIGNE ou quelque chose si cela est absolument nécessaire. Merci d'avoir écouté vos utilisateurs Codies.

We talk about this since two days and always no answer from codemasters.. 

so they really did that....

for the love of god allow people to drive a single player career in offline mode. who makes such decisions and thinks they are good? i dont get it. there have to be meetings and multiple people sitting in a room talking about it. and in the end they come to the conclusion that it is the right idea. 

ūüė≠

13 minutes ago, MTOJay said:

so they really did that....

for the love of god allow people to drive a single player career in offline mode. who makes such decisions and thinks they are good? i dont get it. there have to be meetings and multiple people sitting in a room talking about it. and in the end they come to the conclusion that it is the right idea. 

ūüė≠

IKR!   Usually (not always) this is a top down driven meeting, so someone at CEO/CTO level will be making this call.  Just FYI. (I've been in such meetings at another company where 70% of the participants can be baffled but see the short term financial aim, the other 30% are yes men[or women] hired to agree).

1 hour ago, bn880 said:

IKR!   Usually (not always) this is a top down driven meeting, so someone at CEO/CTO level will be making this call.  Just FYI. (I've been in such meetings at another company where 70% of the participants can be baffled but see the short term financial aim, the other 30% are yes men[or women] hired to agree).

+10000 to this. Some times those guys don't care about the product, they just want to see the numbers going up. Some of them will be there just for a few years, so... Make as much money as you can, and then... It's not my problem if customers are unhappy. To make great products all up the chain must be aware of what they want to achieve as a group. 

Edited by CodingRacer
  • Agree 1

I can understand their point, but allow people to choose online if they want their times to be on the leaderboards, or offline if they simply dont care at all about them

• Agree 5

I....I'm at a loss for words.

Debacles like SimCity and Diablo III keep happening time and time again, yet the AAA gaming industry refuses to learn from its mistakes.

I thought you were different, Codies.... this community basically built you back up with DiRT Rally 1 and then you pull this stunt? Leave the people who have supported you unable to play the game's main mode when the servers go down? (Let's be realistic....they are NOT going to be up forever....)

I don't even understand your excuse....how is cheating and piracy such a big problem now all of a sudden? This never seemed to be an issue with Rally or 4, especially since people like Ubisoft themselves ADMIT that piracy really can't be curbed. Why do you care about cheating in a SINGLE-PLAYER game, too? Furthermore, why would you even make the career dependent on an online connection? Forza Motorsport had online events in its career mode, but 14 years later that mode is still fully playable without them! Don't you guys get PAID to take examples like this into account before pulling this stunt?!

I could handle leaving things like snow stages, hillclimb, and landrush out. I could even cope with the questionable DLC plans for this game. But you blatantly slapping your fans in the face like this in a climate where people like EA and Activision who are known for doing this are paying dearly for their anti-consumer actions, DAYS BEFORE RELEASE, WITHOUT ANY INDICATION BEFOREHAND, is a real low. I literally did not think this was in you.

The only way you can make this right is by removing the always-online requirement. Until then, I seriously doubt I will purchase another Codemasters game again.

I hope you realize you have severely messed up and destroyed many people's faith in you with this.....

• Agree 4

No there aren't, people are trying to make their disappointment made heard loud and clear is what I am seeing.  For some people it's a small deal, for others a huge deal.  An over reaction would be calling 999.

• Agree 3

I don't understand why people even defend it. "But others are doing this too" has always been the worst excuse.

I really fear that Codies servers won't hold up on the official release day and then its raining downvotes in mass - with the result no one will buy it.

I want Codemasters to do great. I loved their games for a long time now.

How can anyone say that this is an over-reaction when the real s-storm is just coming in a few days.

I really wonder if this will have a good end.

• Agree 1

I think it is such a shame that Codies have made this decision to make career online only. (I believe freeplay can be played offline is that correct??) I lost a lot of faith in them today and its even more frustrating because the game itself is amazing and yet they instantly ruin the longevity of it by making online requirements. What about in a few years time, Will the game become unplayable after the servers are no longer supported? What about people that dont always have a reliable internet connection or internet fullstop? Are all future Codies racing titles going to require an internet connection for singleplayer use? Unless this decision is reversed down the line. Im afraid to say it will be my last Codies title and I have been a long time fan. Bought every CM/Dirt game, Toca, Grid and all the F1 games since 2010. Tired of games developers making online connectivity essential for singleplayer content. Genuinely never expected Codemasters to follow suit.

• Agree 1

My connection is not always 100% great... ATT uverse...please remove this and the gaarage feature as online.

Well unfortunately those of us in Australia often have really crappy internet connections due to the Government's lame implementation of the national broadband network which is prone to outages and massive slowdowns in peak times.¬† So it is really disappointing to now find out that DR 2.0 has an always online rule for career because it means problems and stress when playing, unnecessarily.¬† It is really hard to understand why this was done for single player career ... the cheaters reason doesn't hold water at all¬†ūüėē

@SirPhilMcKraken

I respect you a lot and agree with the majority of your posts but I see differently to you here.

Codemasters chose to allow 4 days early access (a decision I really don't like) for customers who paid more, so having a system that hasn't been robust enough to cope with these users for this short time isn't fulfilling their end of that deal. It's not fair to say "well, it was available for some time within those 4 days" because it wasn't advertised that you would be subject to Racenet's availability.

For the wider issue of Racenet in general, I know it was also used in DR1 but IIRC it held on to times and didn't post until you had a connection in career mode. Even if that was subject to cheating, allowing people to play the game is more important than the validity of leaderboards that can always be reset.

It does feel like this is another point which Codemasters have purposely avoided showing to people or mentioning up front. There has been no stream or no screenshots showing off the career mode and virtually no mention of it, let alone mention of this piece of information that if you're not connected you stand to lose all progress. And it makes me think "there's a reason this wasn't shown" and that is purposeful obfuscation of the situation (this also makes me a bit worried about DLC integration with career mode and I would like to see a confirmation that DLC locations will be integrated).

Now I hope people have some perspective and give them to time to sort it out but I can completely sympathise with those who are affected by this, either short- or long-term. By all accounts, there's a superb game to be enjoyed here and I hope as many people are able to join us in that as possible.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

really ****** about this decision. for me it was the reason to finally cancel my pre order. i don¬īt want to support

this kind of business strategy. quite sad that i can¬īt play the game the next days but i¬īll gladly wait for a removal of this so called "anti cheating" feature.

• Haha 1

Soon i will go back to work in nigeria as i m an expatriate worker. It means that i will have no possibility to play my career mode. 

16 hours ago, slideweight said:

Debacles like SimCity and Diablo III keep happening time and time again, yet the AAA gaming industry refuses to learn from its mistakes.

Codemasters are having thier "you guys not have phones?(reliable-internet)" moment..

Has Christina torn into the devs on any livestream about this?
Love how DE rebecca (Warframes community manager) tears through devs on live stream when they try and justify an unpopular decision like this.

Can anyone confirm for certain that internet connection isn’t required for freeplay? If this is the case I may keep hold if it as I do love the game itself, Its such a dissapointment that this has overshadowed the release. I think it was ignorant decision making and almost shady of Codies not to have made this well known before release.