Remove Always Online for the Career!

Remove Always Online for Career?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Please Remove Always Online for Career

• Yes please! Remove it.
    • Leave it in!

2 minutes ago, JackKey said:

^ There is a WRX-Championship in My Team Career and Free Play.

Ah, that must be further into the career. Must admit I have barely touched the career as you can jump straight into the World RX in freeplay!

• Agree 2

As far as I can see there is absolutely NO mentioning of the Online-Requirement for the Single Player-Career on the Steam Storepage for Dirt Rally 2.0. In my opinion Codemasters should at least let the customers know what is going on with the game. Can´t expect every customer to read through Forums and Message Boards; especially because as far as I know no other Codemasters Game handled stuff in this (imo crappy) way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Any news on this? 

I've seen a few screenshots of already cheated leaderboards with stage time around 10s so the always online hidden DRM does not help anything as to annoy the fan base.

What I ask myself: Are there different Leaderboards for the Career and Time Trial ? Because the justification for implementing this crappy Always-Online-Requirement in the Career-Mode was to "fight cheated times". But you can upload your times to a Leaderboard in Time Trial as well; which can be played offline. It would be pretty strange to implement this Online-Requirement to fight cheaters, but at the same time allow people to upload their times via Time Trial to the same Leaderboard.

Edited by Civarello

That's totally pointless, been shown many times with various single player games, Legit copies have major issues caused by online DRM **** while the Pirated copies run perfectly without issue.

Who's bothered about crappy leader board times anyway.

Edited by DelDredd
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Phoenixwin said:

Keep it so those with pirated copies cannot play online.

People with pirated copies won´t be able to play Online anyway; it´s about the Career being made available offline. Seems you don´t even get what the problem is. Cheated times or Anti-Piracy-Measures should never be more important than legit customers loosing their progress because Racenet has a hiccup. And I for one want this games Career guaranteed to work in some years time as well. An Always-Online-Single Player is absolutely NOT justifiable; no matter the reasons.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Civarello said:

People with pirated copies won´t be able to play Online anyway; it´s about the Career being made available offline. Seems you don´t even get what the problem is. Cheated times or Anti-Piracy-Measures should never be more important than legit customers loosing their progress because Racenet has a hiccup. And I for one want this games Career guaranteed to work in some years time as well. An Always-Online-Single Player is absolutely NOT justifiable; no matter the reasons.

If career mode is available offline, those pirates will be laughing, and CM crying.

41 minutes ago, Phoenixwin said:

If career mode is available offline, those pirates will be laughing, and CM crying.

Well, right now a couple of legit customers are still being punished by this thing. Your primary concern  seem to be the pirates and what they can play; my primary concern is that LEGIT customers are being punished by this "Always Online-Stuff". Even if its only a couple of people, no one can guarantee that this can´t happen again; to anyone. I personally don´t care about pirates being able to play the Career. They´re not the main customers anyway and should NEVER have an impact on a games availability in Single Player.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 6

Please let paying customers have an offline career Codies.  (and then you can let them enable hardcore damage!)

Most people who love the game and can afford it will buy it anyway....  people who wish to pirate will not buy the game to get a career.  In general.

I think the poll has spoken. The right thing to do is to remove it. Also seen réactions throughout the internet 😉

Edited by P308R
  • Agree 7

I'm looking into this not been always visible in the first page of the forum, I will update you as soon as I have more information. This is by no means an easy task without affecting other threads and comments from people. 

At the moment CM insists on resetting careers and like to show the Racenet not available text box.

9 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

Have Codemasters made any single statement about this issue? 

I saw that they are working on the stability of it through a few tweets or posts.  Nothing on making it sensible and offline though.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I was going to buy this game this week, however, after what I've read today I will not be bothering.

Requiring an always online connection for single player career in a racing game is quite honestly, ridiculous.

Thanks, but no thanks. Sale lost. Recommendations lost. 

48 minutes ago, SteV said:

I was going to buy this game this week, however, after what I've read today I will not be bothering.

Requiring an always online connection for single player career in a racing game is quite honestly, ridiculous.

Thanks, but no thanks. Sale lost. Recommendations lost. 

Will you buy it at later stage? I'm on the same boat. Wanting to buy it and I've delayed it, but now I'm thinking about not getting it at all. 

13 hours ago, CodingRacer said:

Will you buy it at later stage? I'm on the same boat. Wanting to buy it and I've delayed it, but now I'm thinking about not getting it at all. 

Dunno. I also dislike the omissions such as snow/ice in the base game so that they can release it later at a price. They did this once before with Monte Carlo in Dirt 3 I think it was. They should have held off the release imo. I'm certainly not going to be paying full price for it new. I'll either wait for a huge price drop or a sale or buy it pre-owned. Then maybe buy the add-ons so that it basically costs the price of it new in total but with all the content 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

Dunno. I also dislike the omissions such as snow/ice in the base game so that they can release it later at a price. They did this once before with Monte Carlo in Dirt 3 I think it was. They should have held off the release imo. I'm certainly not going to be paying full price for it new. I'll either wait for a huge price drop or a sale or buy it pre-owned. Then maybe buy the add-ons so that it basically costs the price of it new in total but with all the content 🤷‍♂️

Makes sense to hold off if you want to, but I suspect you'll really enjoy the driving when you do get hold of it. I thought I'd miss the snow too, but in 6 weeks there'll be ice stages and snow ones and TBH it's going to take me much longer than that to learn how to drive well on gravel. Racenet was an issue the first weekend, I've not personally experienced it interfering with my game at all since.

What format would you be considering? Hope we see you on the leaderboards one day, even if later down the line 👍

• Like 1

Yeh, I am nearing my limit on the connecting to racenet stuff. 

Everytime you do anything to do with the career, even going through menus. Load times are annoying enough but adding in that extra annoyance is just getting to much. Its frustrating at the best of times, other times I've hit Alt F4 because I just lose interest sitting in menus waiting for something that doesnt need to be there. 

• Agree 3

If/when I do buy it it'll be for Xbox One X. I'm guessing it'll use the same leaderboards as PC as well as Xbox obviously but I really don't know. I don't know if this falls into the Microsoft Play Anywhere category. Probably not 🤔

Yes, @ChristinaMc is there any news on this?

After the huge backlash from this community and Steam reviews, is there anyone from the team looking into possibilities to address this.

See also my other thread with a suggestion on this that was moved to the Suggestion Box.