Remove Always Online for the Career!

Remove Always Online for Career?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Please Remove Always Online for Career

• Yes please! Remove it.
    • Leave it in!

49 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

Any news on this?

It's never going away. I think anyone waiting for it to magically be removed will be waiting a long long time.

And while people want to complain about it, honestly there is no issue. Maybe if you have spotty internet it can cause you problems, but in my 100+ hours so far the only issue it has ever given me was failing to connect - when Steam went down for Tuesday maintenance. I understand the general idea against it, but when it just works for the vast majority of players I can't really see the argument to avoid the game over the requirement. Even if you literally never touch My Team and only play around in Free Play time trials or Championships, you'll get more than your monies worth from the game.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I don't mind the RaceNet-plagued career if actually get something out of it! Like career timetable, to review times and compare cars and classes, at least.

BTW, RaceNet is behaving for me for the past week, no surprises and resets. Strange.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

It's never going away. I think anyone waiting for it to magically be removed will be waiting a long long time.

And while people want to complain about it, honestly there is no issue. Maybe if you have spotty internet it can cause you problems, but in my 100+ hours so far the only issue it has ever given me was failing to connect - when Steam went down for Tuesday maintenance. I understand the general idea against it, but when it just works for the vast majority of players I can't really see the argument to avoid the game over the requirement. Even if you literally never touch My Team and only play around in Free Play time trials or Championships, you'll get more than your monies worth from the game.

Well I guess it makes sense, it an already finished product so the will just probably release the remaining DLCs and minor bug fixes. It's a shame as my connection often works in 56kb mode, I guess I will pass this time, see you in the next Dirt edition guys!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CodingRacer said:

Well I guess it makes sense, it an already finished product so the will just probably release the remaining DLCs and minor bug fixes. It's a shame as my connection often works in 56kb mode, I guess I will pass this time, see you in the next Dirt edition guys!

Right, IMO this is the kind of reason why (especially big) businesses should pay more attention and NOT ever consider things to exclude customers when they don't really need to.  It is a similar deal with retailers or car parts dealers who stop carrying products because a smaller number of people require them, even though when they do it's quite critical and it is fully in the domain of the retailer.  You basically develop a reputation this way, and collectively life becomes harder for everyone in society due to this.  At the end of the day most of this is driven by greed, even if I am not specifically saying this is the case for Codemasters.   my2c

Edited by bn880

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

My main problem is still that a huge chunk of the game now has an expiry date due to the Online-requirement. What happens when Codemasters decides to pull the plug on the DR 2.0-Servers ? Do people want to rely on Codemasters that they will offer a patch at that point to make the Career be playable offline ? I sure don´t.

Rally Games with a more serious approach are VERY few and far between; infact we nowadays only have 3 to speak of: RBR from 2004, Dirt Rally 1 and now Dirt Rally 2.0. And one of them may not even be playable in its Main-Mode anymore in a couple of years.

Maybe Codemasters will continue to produce serious Rally-games. Or maybe they won´t. Maybe the next Dirt Rally releases even MORE broken. Or the physics change in a way that I don´t like anymore. What I want to say is I don´t want to rely on an uncertain future when it comes to these type of games. It could very well be that DR 2.0 will stay the last serious Rally game for the foreseeable future. And because of this I would like to be certain that the progression-system is still functional in DR 2.0 in a few years from now. 

As long as this Online-requirement is in place there is ALWAYS the chance that people loose their Career-progress. It wasn´t only people with crappy Internet that were affected by this......

I´m convinced that all the negativity towards the Racenet-requirement during release DID cost sales. I personally wouldn´t have bought it. I only own Dirt Rally 2.0 because it was a gift from my girlfriend; and even then I struggled to activate the game on Steam because I      wasn´t eager to support these kinds of business-decisions (I ended up activating it, because denying a gift from my girlfriend would have been even worse than acting against my principles.....😵). I hope the reasons WHY Codemasters implemented this requirement was worth it regarding the feedback it produced. Whatever those reasons may be.......

I must say that I don´t see ANYTHING regarding the Online-connection in the Career that I would consider to have a real positive impact on my personal enjoyment of the game.

I´m not even talking about  scrapping the Online-requirement for the Career anymore; I think that ship has sailed unfortunately. But maybe a Mode could be implemented where money and car-upgrades can be earned in offline-Custom Events as well; which was possible in DR 1.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 1