DiRT Rally 2.0 - In-Game Server Connectivity [CM Note: Check first post]

PJTierney

If you're playing on Windows 7, this is essential reading as you'll need to manually install a security patch to connect.

Message added by PJTierney

PJTierney

The thread you are reading is out of date, please use this one instead:

Message added by PJTierney

November 19th and the Championship reset due to discrepancy is not fixed on PC. It happened on the 6th event. There are hundreds posts here that I didn't read. Is there any solution to this?

I've just bought this game, Deluxe edition and wanted to buy more DLCs.  Sure... How frustrating....

And now to the rant. I thought to myself that if they decided to milk us with DLCs then the extra money would go to the Racenet improvement. Obviously, I was wrong. Hours of progress lost with the expectation that it can happen any time, and as many times it wants.

PS. Is there any useful support in this company or just the cowherds and milkmaids? Mooooo! Help please!

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, Bhaya108 said:

November 19th and the Championship reset due to discrepancy is not fixed on PC. It happened on the 6th event. There are hundreds posts here that I didn't read. Is there any solution to this?

I've just bought this game, Deluxe edition and wanted to buy more DLCs.  Sure... How frustrating....

Eleven days later, I am back with the same complaint. My Career was again reset upon loging in. So far, I was not able to successfully finish Career part of the game which I paid for. It always resets at some point.

I have bought almost all the DLC content of your game. And no answer from devs, no help from support, no apologies, nothing.

If ignoring the problem is your answer then you behave like a bunch of amateurs! I will cheer when your company become bankrupt. You deserve it with such unprofessional attitude toward your paying customer.

Edited by Bhaya108
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:39 PM, PJTierney said:

Hi all, just a quick update.

Team's been aware of server connection issues since they came up (there's a notification system for this) and are investigating the causes.

Also, there's some maintenance planned for the coming weeks, expect a forum announcement when that happens.

It's been almost two months. So the team hasn't figure out how to fix it?

Oh, it's actually been almost ten months since launch. 😞

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:31 PM, Bhaya108 said:

Eleven days later, I am back with the same complaint. My Career was again reset upon loging in. So far, I was not able to successfully finish Career part of the game which I paid for. It always resets at some point.

I have bought almost all the DLC content of your game. And no answer from devs, no help from support, no apologies, nothing.

If ignoring the problem is your answer then you behave like a bunch of amateurs! I will cheer when your company become bankrupt. You deserve it with such unprofessional attitude toward your paying customer.

This is the third time that my career championship has been reset. I have not been able to complete even one of those things, in the game I've paid for.

Thank you for all your help and taking your customer so seriously. I wouldn't know what to do without it.

Edited by Bhaya108

This doesn’t seem to be a system-wide thing otherwise we’d be getting reports from everyone, so there must be something specific to your connection that’s causing this to happen.

Have you documented the issue and contacted custservice@codemasters.com whenever this has occurred?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bhaya108 said:

This is the third time that my career championship has been reset. I have not been able to complete even one of those things, in the game I've paid for.

Thank you for all your help and taking your customer so seriously. I wouldn't know what to do without it.

this does seem to be specific to you.

what platform are you playing on? if you are on PC/Steam, try verifying the integrity of the game files. this often helps to sort out issues with games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

also, do a hard reset of your router by completely turning it off. i mean actually unplug it from the wall. wait 1-2 minutes, then plug it back in again. 

if you are connecting via wifi it's always preferable to connect using an ethernet cable. if you don't have an ethernet cable, then get a CAT5 or 6 cable.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

this does seem to be specific to you.

what platform are you playing on? if you are on PC/Steam, try verifying the integrity of the game files. this often helps to sort out issues with games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

also, do a hard reset of your router by completely turning it off. i mean actually unplug it from the wall. wait 1-2 minutes, then plug it back in again. 

if you are connecting via wifi it's always preferable to connect using an ethernet cable. if you don't have an ethernet cable, then get a CAT5 or 6 cable.

I am not the only one with so many resets: https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/awbkd3/career_reset/.  There was one more thread with 3 times reset but I can't find it, right now. I believe there would be more reports but perhaps people gave up on career at all, like I am thinking of doing.

I am on PC, using CAT5 cable. I did what you suggested and I can only hope for the best. Thank you.

16 hours ago, PJTierney said:

This doesn’t seem to be a system-wide thing otherwise we’d be getting reports from everyone, so there must be something specific to your connection that’s causing this to happen.

Have you documented the issue and contacted custservice@codemasters.com whenever this has occurred?

I will try to contact them next time. I am ranting here because of frustration. The game is excellent but this issue stops me from enjoying it to the full extent. I hope that you understand.

Edited by Bhaya108
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bhaya108 said:

I will try to contact them next time. I am ranting here because of frustration. The game is excellent but this issue stops me from enjoying it to the full extent. I hope that you understand.

I totally get it.

Things like this are best communicated via email since they're officially tracked then 👍🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

I just wanted to add one thing. Interesting is that out of two Careers: Rally and Rallycross, only Rally resets. Rallycross doesn't.

Edited by Bhaya108

On 12/8/2019 at 11:47 PM, Bhaya108 said:

I am not the only one with so many resets: https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/awbkd3/career_reset/.  There was one more thread with 3 times reset but I can't find it, right now. I believe there would be more reports but perhaps people gave up on career at all, like I am thinking of doing.

there were a lot of career resets in the past but these were mostly patched. that Reddit thread is from 9 months ago.

although after reading that, if there's a discrepancy between cloud saves and the local data, DR2.0 would definitely not be the first game in which cloud saves on Steam have caused an issue.

if you have cloud sync enabled then disable it. if you have it disabled, then enable it. basically just do the opposite of whatever you have on now. then verify the integrity of the game files or do a complete re-install, and see if that helps.  that would probably be the best course of action for now.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tranzitive said:

there were a lot of career resets in the past but these were mostly patched. that Reddit thread is from 9 months ago.

although after reading that, if there's a discrepancy between cloud saves and the local data, DR2.0 would definitely not be the first game in which cloud saves on Steam have caused an issue.

if you have cloud sync enabled then disable it. if you have it disabled, then enable it. basically just do the opposite of whatever you have on now. then verify the integrity of the game files or do a complete re-install, and see if that helps.  that would probably be the best course of action for now.

I really appreciate your willingness to help. Thank you.

I have already verified the integrity of game files and reset my router by unplugging it, as you had previously suggested. I will disable now cloud saves for DR 2.0 because I can already see that it is enabled. 

Another thing is that I have a free house Internet. The speed is good but diagnostic app shows that sometimes the connection breaks for several seconds. I have been running this diagnostic app, which connects to Google servers in short intervals, on my 2nd monitor and my Internet is always up when DR 2.0 connects to RaceNet. A couple of times my Internet went down for a short time during races but came back before I finished the race. There was no problem with saving to RaceNet or any resets. The resets are always the next day and I am not sure whether is has anything to do with those micro disconnects.

I play DR 2.0 od Desktop. But I also run Steam on Desktop and Laptop computers simultaneously. I wonder whether this cloud save mismatch may have something to do with that. Steam on my Desktop is installed in non-default location.

Edited by Bhaya108

Hard to say. I had troubles three times and since that I didn't play career 😄 It doesn't make any sense to play the career if CM can steal it anytime. Sometimes the problems are real and sometimes it's you only. After all nobody should steal your progress 😄

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Bhaya108 said:

The speed is good but diagnostic app shows that sometimes the connection breaks for several seconds. I have been running this diagnostic app, which connects to Google servers in short intervals, on my 2nd monitor and my Internet is always up when DR 2.0 connects to RaceNet. A couple of times my Internet went down for a short time during races but came back before I finished the race. There was no problem with saving to RaceNet or any resets. The resets are always the next day and I am not sure whether is has anything to do with those micro disconnects.

I play DR 2.0 od Desktop. But I also run Steam on Desktop and Laptop computers simultaneously. I wonder whether this cloud save mismatch may have something to do with that. Steam on my Desktop is installed in non-default location.

yeah the fact you have Steam installed on your desktop in a non-default location and also that that is the place you have DR2.0 installed on might be causing the issue. along with cloud sync mismatch. 

Racenet also does not like packet loss or jitter ('micro disconnects') at all. I am on PS4 and live in a place with pretty bad internet so I get frequent packet loss and jitter, and frequent 'cannot connect to the Racenet server' messages when it tries to upload my times. it's like if you get packet loss when the game tries to perform the handshake with the Racenet server then the server just gives up and spits out a message and refuses to connect again, even if the packet loss has passed and your connection is sending packets fine again. but if i go to the leaderboard and check if my time has been uploaded, as long as it's been uploaded there i can continue without career resets or losing my progress in daily/weekly/monthly events. i just have to exit out to the main menu and then go back into the event again.

on Steam what seems to be happening is that the packet loss/jitter is affecting cloud sync. the game then detects a mismatch between the local data and the cloud data, assumes the local data has been illegally modified, and then resets your career progress. as far as i remember this was coded in to prevent leaderboard cheating, which was a huge problem with Dirt Rally 1 and caused many complaints from the community.

i may be completely wrong here but that's my theory about why people are getting career resets and failures to upload times to Racenet etc.

• Like 1

No connectivity problems at all, can connect to Racenet without any problems. Had my progress wiped though, after completing 4 events without any problems at all20191213214101_1.thumb.jpg.8eddf03799b23f69fe7878a8e8f5b7ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, Tranzitive said:

if you have cloud sync enabled then disable it.

After following your advice and disabling Steam's cloud sync for DR 2.0, I was able to successfully finish my career race.

Is the problem on my side? I highly doubt it.

Will I be doing Career Rally again? Unlikely. I suspect that most people do not touch it anymore and that's why we don't hear much complaints about resets. Anyways, thank your very much for you help, Tranzitive! 🙂

Edited by Bhaya108
  • Agree 2

On 2/22/2019 at 5:21 PM, ChristinaMc said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience while we've looked into RaceNet connectivity. We have now implemented a fix - please let us know how you get on with connecting to the server. We are monitoring everything - but if you continue to have issues, please let us know immediately so we can give it the attention it deserves.

To clarify, it's only the My Team/Career part of the game that requires connection to RaceNet. You can play Custom Championships. RX Championships, Historic Championships, and all other parts of the game without a connection.

Thanks,
Christina

erm... since I got a game few days ago connection never worked... The same is today. So called "fix" doesn't fix anything.

Interesting thing that exactly the same issues people reported with dirt rally 1 which happened to be never fixed... Happily there is so many other racing games all around which actually works 🙂

You're quoting a post from a year ago, directed at somebody that doesn't even work at the company anymore 😉 

Has it ever worked?? I mean I just bought the game a few days ago but I wasnt able to join Club Events since...

It is very difficult to connect since sunday. I guess the number of connexions dramatically increased due to the new players attracted by the sales, and the current lockdowns in different countries, in particular the evening.

Can't connect to server. Restarted console and internet, so it's definitely at Codemasters end. Please sort it.

• Thanks 1