DiRT Rally 2.0 - Server Connectivity Issues

31 minutes ago, Pfei said:

"Out of office hours" LOL. I work in IT and my life is like a doctor on call. I would never leave my clients hung out to dry like this. If I did, I wouldn't have any clients. 

The internet, and anything requiring/involving it, is a 24/7 job. Period. 

True story. I don’t work in IT, but rather in Sales for tech-based company, and in our line of work hours of operation for IT or NT are 24/7. System resets, network and connectivity issues are an omnipresent issue in this day and age - especially with the increasing amount of DRM and IOT (smart devices and perpetual connectivity).

Pretty crappy that we can’t play on the weekend because no one is available. Worst of all, most of these DRM issues can be addressed remotely. It’s not like someone has to power down the mainframe, or hit the big red ‘RESET’ button, lol 

CM - if you want to have an always on line game - and control single player activities via remote server like Race Net - then implement it with the understanding that additional costs will be incurred to support and trouble shoot outside of normal business hours.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

@Buckwilder I totally agree with you on the Big Red Reset button. I use AWS EC2 instances, and 99% of any problem can be solved with a server reboot, which I can do from a simple server reset at any time, from anywhere in the world, as long as I'm not out hiking in the middle of nowhere. In those cases, I leave my SSH keys with a trusted colleague, whom I pay, to keep an eye on my stuff while I'm gone. I would literally be out of a job if I didn't take those precautions.

But then again, I take the effort to provide a highly optimized and stable environment for my clients, and between the sublime performance and uptime of AWS services I practically don't even have to worry about these kinds of outages. 

The countless RaceNet-less weekends of the past few years could have easily been avoided by our Big Red Reset buttons, as long as you have someone who is not abiding by that 9-5 UK timezone, M-F office hours. 

This outage seems as if it's going beyond simple downtime. People are getting their save files deleted. I don't think I've seen that happen before. I really hope for Codies' and all our sakes that it is only a temporary glitch rather than a permanent one. 

Yeah I'm in that group that has had everything wiped, just waiting to see what happens! I wonder if WRC8 will play career mode without being "online". Food for thought. 

Edited by OGINGERBREAD

So a weird thing happened tonight, and I’m not sure if it’s happened with many people or not. My game lets me sign into racenet, but it doesn’t want to communicate with it, so it doesn’t load all of my career or garage and etc. any solutions? Or is this a new bug? Or something else.

• Agree 1

This is not looking good. Spend a fair chunk for title that doesn't work on the weekend? Really?

I was going to buy the new seasons when the spare cash came free but that's not going to happen now.

I'm looking on steam for a new rally title.. this is unacceptable.

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

I can only assume they have a hard time finding support staff to work over the weekend due to poor staff engagement. How could you work on this game and still enjoy showing up to the office?

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Pfei said:

"Out of office hours" LOL. I work in IT and my life is like a doctor on call. I would never leave my clients hung out to dry like this. If I did, I wouldn't have any clients. 

Don’t Codemasters realise that most of their customers use their service “out of hours”? that’s when we need it to work most... 

i’m gobsmacked they have no one monitoring the game out of hours,  particularly  when they made the decision to make the game always online, even for the AI career mode. If today was a bank holiday it wouldn’t get fixed.

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

On 2/23/2019 at 4:21 AM, ChristinaMc said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience while we've looked into RaceNet connectivity. We have now implemented a fix - please let us know how you get on with connecting to the server. We are monitoring everything - but if you continue to have issues, please let us know immediately so we can give it the attention it deserves.

To clarify, it's only the My Team/Career part of the game that requires connection to RaceNet. You can play Custom Championships. RX Championships, Historic Championships, and all other parts of the game without a connection.

Thanks,
Christina

Still can't connect to racenet. It's 4:30pm 9/9/19 Australian and it's been off all day.

Can we get some communication on the Racenet connectivity problem?

I've been trying all day with no luck. It's now 4pm Monday in Australia.

This is just unacceptable! I had the issue yesterday at 08:00pm (Spain), and it looks like the problem stills going on. It’s just unacceptable and pathetic. How many people from yesterday to now they lost they progress? And most of the people that are currently playing this game are true rally fans, the ones who we bought all DLC content and keep pushing this game forward.

I hope they will be able to recover all our data, because if not, it’s going to be really bad for Codemasters. They will lose our loyalty after this. Never in my life I had this kind of problem. And all of this is because of the stupid idea of “always online” even for single mode or four your own cars/rally/stuff. It’s just miserable.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I just had a great idea! How about the game not resetting progress when there are server issues? Hmmm?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Pfei said:

@Buckwilder I totally agree with you on the Big Red Reset button. I use AWS EC2 instances, and 99% of any problem can be solved with a server reboot, which I can do from a simple server reset at any time, from anywhere in the world, as long as I'm not out hiking in the middle of nowhere. In those cases, I leave my SSH keys with a trusted colleague, whom I pay, to keep an eye on my stuff while I'm gone. I would literally be out of a job if I didn't take those precautions.

But then again, I take the effort to provide a highly optimized and stable environment for my clients, and between the sublime performance and uptime of AWS services I practically don't even have to worry about these kinds of outages. 

The dairy company I used to do IT work for has a 24/7 based IT system and their net worth is just 20% of CM's net worth.

Just so I can state this again to make things blatantly obvious, a small dairy company in the middle of nowhere USA has a more reliable IT staff & infrastructure than CM and make nowhere near the amount of money that CM does. I guess CM's priorities are clear, i.e. "Give me $90 for an unreliable product." 

I honestly don't know what's worse here. The fact that there's no IT services available for the weekend (when I can reset servers on my iPhone) or the “I really don't care, do u?” attitude about the massive amount of unsportsmanlike cuts that are egregiously littered throughout the entire game, effecting every stage, rendering leaderboard times completely useless. 

I guess I should just be thankful and buy the Super Deluxe Uber Edition of DR2.0, because you seemingly can't afford to care about anything at this point. Not even an official statement on your twitter account and it's past 8 a.m. in the UK right now. 

Edited by deadredeyes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

C'mon Codies, the silence is deafening. At least chuck an apology out, with a, 'We're working on it' as a minimum. I know you're probably freaking out tripping over each other trying to sort it but, keep us informed.

• Haha 1

It has been down since Saturday night for me. The game has been out since February and has had countless problems with the servers and all the dlc releases. The game at the moment is costing me nearly €100, we’re paying enough for the game without having constant issues with it. It’s a great game and I love playing it but iam losing patience with all these issues. It’s absolutely ridiculous that in 2019 cm has no one that can fix any issues when they arise, that should be a 24/7 service, there are people all over the world playing the game every hour of the day and cm don’t have anyone working at weekends to fix problems when they arrive. If I don’t get my progress back dirt Rally 2.0 is getting traded in for wrc 8!!

Edited by tonzboher
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, tonzboher said:

If I don’t get me progress back dirt Rally 2.0 is getting traded in for wrc 8!!

i dont agree with cm thing ,but dont do that ,the only thing that i want from wrc8 is the carrer ,and cm dont do anything about it 

Please try connecting to Racenet again now.

Restarting your game may be needed but all Racenet data should be returned to normal.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CM_Ads said:

Please try connecting to Racenet again now.

Restarting your game may be needed but all Racenet data should be returned to normal.

Will try. Sorry for the inconvenience we’ve caused you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can confirm that a reset to the championship progress has been done for me

Credits/cars etc are back to normal

connectivity is normal again

So everything is ok I guess

Thank you for the help CM 

but please listen to your community and remove the always online for the career 

It’s giving us nothing but problems. We really love the game otherwise we wouldn’t be so aggressive with this

Edited by Mathioudakis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

In steam I saw people reporting that all is OK except single player: they lost their progress in their current championship.

2 hours ago, Gregow said:

Will try. Sorry for the inconvenience we’ve caused you.

Agreed. 

110 bucks for this nonsense ...

this is now the third time in around 6-7 months that there's been a major racenet issue. 

first time was on launch when deluxe edition owners couldn't get early access to the game the entire weekend like they were supposed to.

second time was also over the weekend when credits weren't paying out for days and people weren't sure if it was worth it continuing with community events. and there was silence from CM until the week started.

and now this.

utterly baffling that they don't at least have someone on call over the weekends to sort out any server issues for an always online game that the majority of people are going to be playing when? over the weekend.

i think part of the problem is Leaseweb, who host the CM servers unless things have changed. Leaseweb don't have that great of a reputation. They don't have anyone on call over the weekend either i guess.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Pfei said:

This.

Same thing happened last month when none of the credits were working. It happened on a Friday going into the weekend and nobody came in to do anything until Monday.

Really, really poor customer service. 

• Agree 2