Dirt Rally 2.0 - No FFB Effects has been made?

My feelings opposites about Dirt Rally 2.0
Lots of thing has got better, but major things have to improve or fix ASAP

There's no FFB Effects in this game (yet)!

No effects for jumps, no effects for gear changes (check how sweet in Richard BUrns Rally, you can feel the torque of the engine), no effects for different road surfaces...
In general the FFB is too weak in Dirt Rally 2.0

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

Yeah there definitely seems to be something wrong. This is probably the worst (or at least most simplistic) FFB I've seen in a racing title in a long time... to the point where something really has to be broken.

Would love to hear CM confirm the issue and let us know that they're working on a fix. 

• Agree 1

yes they are:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="nl"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">📢 DiRT Rally 2.0 players, we understand some you are having issues with RaceNet connectivity this afternoon - we are investigating this as a priority.<br><br>Other things we are also looking into:<br>- Audio issue whereby sound disappears mid-stage<br>- FFB issues<br><br>Thanks for your patience.</p>&mdash; DiRT (@dirtgame) <a href="https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1099354139803435010?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">23 februari 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1099354139803435010

good evening, I have the steering wheel Simucube OSW, does not work the FF, I do not feel anything, as if it were dead, what can I do? Help

On 2/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, gecervi said:

good evening, I have the steering wheel Simucube OSW, does not work the FF, I do not feel anything, as if it were dead, what can I do? Help

You can't do anything tio fix it. We have to wait for CM to solve their problem.

I'm beginning to suspect that the forcefeedback was designed to be like this. The reason I say that is that with the suspension cranked up to 120 in the force feedback setttings I can feel a massive jolt through the wheel when going over the grills in Australia, so obviously the force feedback communicates very sudden suspension compressions. 

Everywehere else I can only feel very subtle effects when going into compressions and sometimes when landing badly over jumps. So I suspect that given that they've modelled surface deformation now it's just not possible to make the wheel vibrate over any unevenness without resorting to fake and severely exaggerated effects. 

On top of that, in real life you can't feel bumps through the wheel anyway, so if they decided to go with a very pure steering column force feedback it will feel exactly like what we've got now. 

I know many sim racers who hate bump effects and consequently they always turn it down to zero. For example in assetto corsa, even though it has laser scanned and well modelled bumps, many people turn that effect off because it's fake. I wonder if Jon Armstrong is one of those people.

Guys, you should post in the correct section to have more visibility. Post in the DiRT section, this is the Codies Lounge. These issues are already being discussed there.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:51 PM, FreddieJupiter said:

I'm beginning to suspect that the forcefeedback was designed to be like this. The reason I say that is that with the suspension cranked up to 120 in the force feedback setttings I can feel a massive jolt through the wheel when going over the grills in Australia, so obviously the force feedback communicates very sudden suspension compressions. 

Everywehere else I can only feel very subtle effects when going into compressions and sometimes when landing badly over jumps. So I suspect that given that they've modelled surface deformation now it's just not possible to make the wheel vibrate over any unevenness without resorting to fake and severely exaggerated effects. 

On top of that, in real life you can't feel bumps through the wheel anyway, so if they decided to go with a very pure steering column force feedback it will feel exactly like what we've got now. 

I know many sim racers who hate bump effects and consequently they always turn it down to zero. For example in assetto corsa, even though it has laser scanned and well modelled bumps, many people turn that effect off because it's fake. I wonder if Jon Armstrong is one of those people.

But those effects gives you FEEDBACK which helps you to recognise you are getting to run wide in a corner (because there are getting more and more small stones,) for example.
Effects gives you feedback when you hit the ground after a big jump and most of all, gives you the feel the engine torque when you shift up a gear.... No one hate those feedbacks in Richard Burns Rally.

Rallying is not a track racing when you often turn the suspension sliders full down and you can focus on the  ideal lines only.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mesa said:

But those effects gives you FEEDBACK which helps you to recognise you are getting to run wide in a corner (because there are getting more and more small stones,) for example.
Effects gives you feedback when you hit the ground after a big jump and most of all, gives you the feel the engine torque when you shift up a gear.... No one hate those feedbacks in Richard Burns Rally.

Rallying is not a track racing when you often turn the suspension sliders full down and you can focus on the  ideal lines only.

i know what you're saying. If I recall the same complaints were levelled against the project cars 2 force feedback where many people were saying that there wasn't enough seat of the pants feel. 

I've been around the the sim community for over a decade now, and force feedback is is one of the most polarising things where some people like a lot of seat of the pants effects and bumps and vibrations and the other side hates those effects and prefers a more pure steering column feel, and it looks like codemasters went for the latter in this case. 

Actually the bump effects and tyre slip effects are all present in DR 2.0, its just that they are more subtle than in the first DR. I actually think it's quite nice; understated but nice once you get a feel for it. I'm using the g29 so if you're interested I can post my setting and you can check it out for yourself because I don't think the ffb is broken or anything, it's just a different approach to what we had in DR. 

Edited by FreddieJupiter

3 hours ago, FreddieJupiter said:

i know what you're saying. If I recall the same complaints were levelled against the project cars 2 force feedback where many people were saying that there wasn't enough seat of the pants feel. 

I've been around the the sim community for over a decade now, and force feedback is is one of the most polarising things where some people like a lot of seat of the pants effects and bumps and vibrations and the other side hates those effects and prefers a more pure steering column feel, and it looks like codemasters went for the latter in this case. 

Actually the bump effects and tyre slip effects are all present in DR 2.0, its just that they are more subtle than in the first DR. I actually think it's quite nice; understated but nice once you get a feel for it. I'm using the g29 so if you're interested I can post my setting and you can check it out for yourself because I don't think the ffb is broken or anything, it's just a different approach to what we had in DR. 

True, it's polarising and mostly a matter of personal preference, but i can't really feel anything other than a constant resistance, hints of centering spring and a terribly vague rumble. 

Front tyres - no feel in the wheel at all. Can't tell me real rally drivers get no feel from the front end whatsoever. How are they supposed to read the road and judge the grip levels? I've driven rally cars, road cars on gravel, road cars on the nords and pretty much all sims out there.. and nothing feels anything like this. Hell I've driven Dacia Sanderos which convey front tyre grip better.

I'm sure Codies' FFB will never reach the levels of RFactor 2 or even iRacing but after developing Racing games for so many years they really should be doing better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, zeroundersteer said:

True, it's polarising and mostly a matter of personal preference, but i can't really feel anything other than a constant resistance, hints of centering spring and a terribly vague rumble. 

Front tyres - no feel in the wheel at all. Can't tell me real rally drivers get no feel from the front end whatsoever. How are they supposed to read the road and judge the grip levels? I've driven rally cars, road cars on gravel, road cars on the nords and pretty much all sims out there.. and nothing feels anything like this. Hell I've driven Dacia Sanderos which convey front tyre grip better.

I'm sure Codies' FFB will never reach the levels of RFactor 2 or even iRacing but after developing Racing games for so many years they really should be doing better.

There is definitely tyre friction feel and there is bump feel. You just have to crank up the suspension and tyre friction effects up. True, they are not as pronounced as they were in dirt rally 1 because the surfaces are now soft and deformable so there is nothing solid to shake the wheel out of your hands like there was in the first one.

with regard to real life I really doubt that you are able to feel anything through the wheel. I've driven more cars than I can count in my life and never have I felt bumps or any tyre slip through the wheel. You do feel it through your body and hands but they come from the car, not the steering wheel. 

Having said that I do appreciate that some people would like a more violent shaking and rattling through the wheel, but I suspect that this just isn't possible in DR 2.0 due to the soft/deformable surfaces. They could probably give us some fake canned effects, but I doubt that they would like to go down that road. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, zeroundersteer said:

i can't really feel anything other than a constant resistance, hints of centering spring and a terribly vague rumble. 

Agreed. I drove a Subaru Impreza WRX STi N4 rally car IRL both on tarmac and gravel and Dirt Rally 2.0 has got one of the most terrible plain FFB which gives you nothing what a Simulator could do.
Dirt Rally has good FFB effects, i think they forgot it and used Dirt 4's wrong settings or whatever...

I try to collect (rally games only) the best effects IMO:

- suspension - Richard burns Rally
- weight (mass) /gravity  of the car - WRC 7
- jump - WRC 7
- gear change (up) - Richard Burns Rally
- blocked wheels - Dirt Rally
- tarmac slip - Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo
- gravel - Richard Burns Rally
- weight transfer - Richard Burns Rally

Edited by mesa
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

are there any news? I still do not hear the "return of strength" at all, I do not have FF, as if I did not have a steering wheel that costs 2500 euros, I have a SimuCube OSW, who gives me news?

11 hours ago, mesa said:

Dirt Rally has good FFB effects..

I don't disagree with you, but wasn't there a massive s**tstorm here about the force feedback being terrible in Dirt Rally 1 shortly after it was released on consoles? 

As I recall the ffb was never changed in Dirt rally 1 since then. 

49 minutes ago, FreddieJupiter said:

I don't disagree with you, but wasn't there a massive s**tstorm here about the force feedback being terrible in Dirt Rally 1 shortly after it was released on consoles? 

As I recall the ffb was never changed in Dirt rally 1 since then. 

Yes, FFB was terrible in DR EA release, Codemasters later improved by hiring a guy who was master of FFB effects. Then never changed again. Still is the same Good one.

1 minute ago, mesa said:

Yes, FFB was terrible in DR EA release, Codemasters later improved by hiring a guy who was master of FFB effects. Then never changed again. Still is the same Good one.

Wasn't that before it released on console? Most of the whining here was after the console release. So how was the ffb changed since it came out on console? I don't recall there being any changes. 

23 hours ago, Nicsos123 said:

any update there? We just need a solution for this!

No update yet.
I hope they they are working on a solution...

I’m really struggle with this game I can feel force but not force effects. I’m finding it un driveable don’t know if it’s because of my wheel settings t500rs

Posted (edited)

I'm going to the Sebastian Loeb game...  they have some ffb on a wheel... or Dirt Rally was good - I wonder did codemaster get someone else to make that cause ffb was good and now it's completely BAD in Dirt Rally 2 ....   I feel like they got my $60 and did not give me something I'd like to use as it is...   will they fix this or respond to any of these threads is my real question? 

Edited by Bailey619

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 3:51 PM, FreddieJupiter said:

The problem with this is, you do actually feel lots of information in sports cars, rally cars, race cars, etc. It's not just the steering column, it's the culmination of everything. You don't have suspension, tires, etc on your sim rig. You're losing all of that data. This is why all of the other information in the FFB is important in sim racing, and will later become more important in cars that continue to move away from analog and more into computers. You need some kind of information to react to. Having a very linear/flat force feedback does not provide enough information to be able to race on the red line. You can surely have fun and enjoy the game. But you're not going to be able to reach your potential. You're going to be limited by the lack of information required to drive the cars around the circuit at your potential. Your potential is a combination of visual input and reaction. All of the people who want a realistic "steering column" feel in the force feedback are really neglecting to take this into consideration. However, that's completely understandable. Most people who play video games are not engineers, or drivers.

I would like to preface this and say that there are probably some motorsports where a very linear/simplistic force feedback would work. Mostly tarmac driving. I don't seem to mind it in F1 2018, but I dislike it in Dirt Rally. Dirt Rally 1 was the same way for me. There's not enough information in Codemasters FFB for me to reach my potential in Dirt Rally. That doesn't mean I couldn't keep playing it and get better. I just would have got better with a handicap. That's fine, it's just annoying because newer games are starting to implement more informative FFB. Even Turn10 rolled out a major patch to Forza Motorsport 7 that added a ton of new information in the force feedback, and would make the game quite compelling if they fixed the AI or multiplayer. There's so many issues with motorsports games it never ends.

At the very least, the information needs to be in the FFB by default, with the option to remove. Not the other way around. The data needs to be there for simracers who are looking to reach their potential. If you don't like it, turn it off.

Edited by ShadyBrady6
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, Bailey619 said:

I'm going to the Sebastian Loeb game...  ?

Sebastien Loeb Rally Revo is a very underrated rally sim. Why? Because the same time Codemasters released Dirt Rally and no one wanted to play anymore with SLRE, because Dirt Rally was a blast...
SLRE has the best asphalt physics IMO. Very good FFB effects are made for that game

3D models and especially the engine sounds was bad, but the track design was awesome with laser scanned real San Remo stages. wow

may i re-install it again to compare to Dirt Rally 2.0 😄

Posted (edited)

bonjour Monsieur  codemasters  pouvez vous nous dire a quand la mise a jour du FFB j,ai un csl elite ps4 fanatec   j,ai que tres peu de ressenti dans le volant.merci CODEMASTERS

Edited by AlainMegane
EREUR TRADUCTION

bonsoir je pense avoir du bon matérielle fanatec csl elite ps4  et j,attend toujours le patch pour le FFB    pour la 

After i´ve tried Monte Carlo,im beginning to feel a better response when switching from tarmac to snow etc.

So maybe they´re working on it....I hope...