Jump to content
Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Achtung! Fix Ai before release!

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, LaPremierre said:

If exellent driving does not lead to good results

I believe it always does, provided that it is excellent and that it is driving! But I may be wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Found this in another thread. Detailed rally driving tips from a rally driver http://www.oldrallysport.on.ca/articles/Driving.html

you want the linear accelerative vector to point inside the arc of the car through the corner to compensate for the momentum drawing the car to the outside.

This describes exactly what I want, unfortunately not what I’m always capable of doing!!! 😞

Amazingly cool article specially because it’s written in an accessible language for non-hardcore rally drivers (the quote above is intended specifically for “the scientists”; the initial explanation is a lot more prosaic: “you want to use the engine’s power through the wheels to “claw” your way in towards the apex of the turn – if you’ve even seen a dog try to take off on a shiny floor or on ice you get the idea.”).

Thank you!!! 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, ark13700 said:

The reason is plain to see

In this section Catbadders holds full throttle and maintains 100-110mph (160-170kph)

You lift off the throttle throughout, slowing the car to 130-150kph

On top of that, if you did drive with the gear setting to 'short', that reduces the car's top speed. The problem is not the AI difficulty, the problem is using a car setup for low top speed on a high speed stage.

Its strange to read. You can see well, that's me hold gas well, not less than Catbadders, but if even I hold it long time, I simply never reach that 160-170km/h, which he "keep". Nothing to keep for me.

But, then, while driving longer gears, I've not only lost generally in comparison with short ones, but also just the top speed was lower also! Its interesting paradox, which has to be discovered by developers.

And then again... in rally driving one of the main intakes for cornering fast is just to release gas without braking. Really, you can easy check it in this game also: you will keep speed better if you release gas, than if you continue to push it! Just such things are the criteria of rally simulator.

I tried to launch both recordings in parallel way. Synchronizing from time to time. And each time this rival catch me by some jumps, no matter, if its long straight or twisty road in village (where he make mistake at the beginning).

So, I can only conclude, that we play different games.

It would be interesting in case you made your own recording and shown it us: in this case we would see, in whose game plays just you.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Cortextual said:

The great and furious LaPremier also begins that fast section at the exit of the 4 Right by hitting the outside bank and flipping the car on it's side. The result of a bad exit at the start of a straight is that you lose time for the whole straight or until you hit top speed, which I don't think he ever does. Couple that with the fact he isn't planning far enough ahead so his lines are garbo and forcing him to get off the throttle and he loses 11 seconds just in that section between the 4 Right and the tarmac 1L. Catbadders doesn't nail that 4R either, he gets too much oversteer and hits the bank with the rear of the car, the difference is he knows he needs to get it under control and start building speed asap so he lifts off and doesn't go careening into the bank like a maniac.

LaPremier I wonder if you have considered that perhaps the problem exists between the chair and the steering wheel?

Amigo, I make little mistakes, because I don't know the track par coer, and Catbadders do the same from time to time. The question is - how we operate with these little faults consequences? Here mostly I minimize them well. Of course I can plan "lines" only at visible part of upcoming road. Its not track race with unlimited sucking, its rally... and with rally tasks I operate well also. Understand for the ends of all, that keeping gas pushed every time - its an intake of stupid arcades. Rally art is especially the art of free sliding and sometimes powerslide. This game is NOT such stupid arcade, where, as I wrote in 2015, "grandmasters of not to miss railway" operates. If I release gas, I don't lose, but wins, because in case I keep it, tyres starts to sink - its the basic fact of offroad driving.

The problem, son (or, may be, father?) is in simple fact of my car goes much slower at straight and at acceleration generally. For the moment we still didn't find the cause. When I asked Catbadders, does he really believe his lines are better than mine, he stopped to answer.

And, yes, now I know, that a lot of players presented here in leaderboards, plays  another game really. Some of them are presented in my friendslist, and I know the too well for thinking other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Here you are @Mastoideu and @LaPremierre SkyRex made a video with some useful, but often overlooked tips. @LaPremierre, pay attention to number 2

 

 

Are you really believe that I need such advises? So, after 14 years of I started to play RBR, some guy which stumed under table in these times, will teach me? Realize, for the ends, that now, when Dirt players first time meet rally simulator, just me is that who can teach some of them. Because for many years I was on top in true simulators. Now I can simply with my intuition examine drivers and games as well for correct behavior. But if the game sometimes deviate a bit from true lines, - its also not a problem for me. Only brute and obvious disproportions can affect my driving. So, here I mentioned some problems of this type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erm... You are the guy who came here asking for advice. You are also the guy who posted videos of himself using the driver arrows mentioned in tip 2. So, yeah I really believe that you need that advice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Erm... You are the guy who came here asking for advice. You are also the guy who posted videos of himself using the driver arrows mentioned in tip 2. So, yeah I really believe that you need that advice.

 

 

But not advice for "newcomers". I asked not about how to drive, but about how to set up the game settings for just this game started to work in correct way. Why in speedy tracks shorter gears help? - its interesting question. And why with all contrivances I cannot reach that top speed, which other players demonstrate us, - also interesting. And, in strange way, nobody said me that I must first of all disable furious deadzones in wheel settings. Does anybody operated with it? If yes - why not to tell, if no - how they play themselves? Me simply tried default settings and found they are incompatible with AI at least. Its just the fact I mentioned in the title. Now I fixed some evident bugs in mentioned settings, but it still don't solve the problem in couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate, you either need to learn to take advice when you ask for it, or stop asking for advice.

 

If SkyRex's advice is for newcomers and I've had to pass that advice onto you, then you are making a newcomer mistake. Tip number 2 in the video is a game set up tip, not a driving tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Mate, you either need to learn to take advice when you ask for it, or stop asking for advice.

 

If SkyRex's advice is for newcomers and I've had to pass that advice onto you, then you are making a newcomer mistake. Tip number 2 in the video is a game set up tip, not a driving tip.

Does he really answer questions I mentioned now?..

You know, I simply cannot understand English orally. Because of no expirence, and I catch only separate words, even if I know every words. So, its simply bad idea to post some video for me.

but nevertheless it semblen that he don't discuss problems interesting for me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, he answers questions you have asked. He answers the one you asked about most, just not in the way that you think.

 

He tells you to turn off the co pilot arrows because any time spent looking at them is time not spent looking at the road ahead, and it lets you see more of the road ahead. He also explains why. It allows you to build up a mental image of the stage faster, which allows you to enter corners that little bit faster, exit those corners a little bit faster, meaning faster speeds on the straights, resulting in faster stage times. You may only lose a fraction of a second on a corner when you use the arrows, but rallying is all about those corners, and there are hundreds of them in a stage. Hundreds of fractions equal whole seconds.

 

Another piece of advice. Go to the Suggestion Box and ask Codemasters, nicely, for a Russian speaking co pilot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LaPremier you are quite exhausting. You aren't reaching the same top speed because, as you said, you shortened your gears. I suspect the shortening of the gears isn't gaining you as much acceleration as you expect because you are limited by traction on the slippy surface and therefore unable to take full advantage of the shorter gears. What were your other points? idk man, I'm tired and you babble on so. I agree it's often better to finesse the throttle to keep good control than it is to just stay on it, all I'm saying is he is pressing it more often than you are, and for longer, so he goes quicker from one place to another.

Oh but I forgot, the real problem is you have a different game to everyone else and the one you have has slower cars. Far more plausible.

I don't mean to sound rude by the way but I find your blame-everything-but-me attitude frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Here you are @Mastoideu and @LaPremierre 

@SkiddyMcCrash

In the same sentence??? Seriously??? 🤣

On a more serious note: thank you for the heads up, it is a nicely done video but I’m afraid I may have unintentionally misled you. I’m not exactly a newcomer to racing games. In fact I believe I may have played every single title Codemasters has ever released to exhaustion (well, maybe not DiRT 4, but I’m only human) along with every other driving simulator I could put by greasy hands on. Yes, I’m that old! That being said, I’m always pleased to revisit the basics as sometimes even seasoned drivers (sounds a lot better than “old f@rts) may overconfidently tend to forget them! And I’ll always be grateful to those willing to take their precious time to help out others (or at least try).... 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LaPremierre said:

you will keep speed better if you release gas

Here’s a technique worth trying, specially if driving a naturally aspired car! Just make sure you’re alone in the room before you do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cortextual said:

LaPremier you are quite exhausting.

@Cortextual I feel you “amigo” but...

Thanks to @LaPremierre ‘s efforts, this thread has become one of this Community’s most instructional and constructive ones alive at this particular moment in time. And that surely deserves some credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure what else is going on here but I think the AI times are cack if they are getting in the top 10% of world record times on stages @ clubman level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cortextual said:

LaPremier you are quite exhausting. You aren't reaching the same top speed because, as you said, you shortened your gears. I suspect the shortening of the gears isn't gaining you as much acceleration as you expect because you are limited by traction on the slippy surface and therefore unable to take full advantage of the shorter gears. What were your other points? idk man, I'm tired and you babble on so. I agree it's often better to finesse the throttle to keep good control than it is to just stay on it, all I'm saying is he is pressing it more often than you are, and for longer, so he goes quicker from one place to another.

Oh but I forgot, the real problem is you have a different game to everyone else and the one you have has slower cars. Far more plausible.

I don't mean to sound rude by the way but I find your blame-everything-but-me attitude frustrating.

Again: you can launch my recordings from first page, where I use default intermediate gears, and compare with last one: where top speed is higher?

Also you can launch the game itself (with default settings) and ascertain, what type of game you have: mine or somebody other's. Looks like, my friends has the same game as me, because their times in challenges are quite close to mine. Unless one of them wins 1-2 minutes above all of us: looks like, he has the game of the second type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DieselPoweredJo said:

I am not sure what else is going on here but I think the AI times are cack if they are getting in the top 10% of world record times on stages @ clubman level.

Its just the matter which has to be discussed here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Yes, he answers questions you have asked. He answers the one you asked about most, just not in the way that you think.

 

He tells you to turn off the co pilot arrows because any time spent looking at them is time not spent looking at the road ahead, and it lets you see more of the road ahead. He also explains why. It allows you to build up a mental image of the stage faster, which allows you to enter corners that little bit faster, exit those corners a little bit faster, meaning faster speeds on the straights, resulting in faster stage times. You may only lose a fraction of a second on a corner when you use the arrows, but rallying is all about those corners, and there are hundreds of them in a stage. Hundreds of fractions equal whole seconds.

 

Another piece of advice. Go to the Suggestion Box and ask Codemasters, nicely, for a Russian speaking co pilot.

first of all, I can mention again, that in 15 years I could well teach myself to use arrows and oral notes. If you launched my recordings, you know, that I use NOT English. As for the arrows, they are necessary also, because co-driver notes sometimes too late and too early, and you must watch above for determine , whether 'cinq droute" which he tell correspond next turn or previous. For this game this problem is very actual. may be, even more, than Russian language support lack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaPremierre said:

Again: you can launch my recordings from first page, where I use default intermediate gears, and compare with last one: where top speed is higher?

Also you can launch the game itself (with default settings) and ascertain, what type of game you have: mine or somebody other's. Looks like, my friends has the same game as me, because their times in challenges are quite close to mine. Unless one of them wins 1-2 minutes above all of us: looks like, he has the game of the second type.

Yea in this first video you linked it looks like your throttle isn't opening completely, the whole video looks like you are pressing the pedal 50% or less. You should look in the settings at the input tab and check if your throttle pedal is going to 100%, though it looks like you sorted it in the later videos. You should make sure your pedal saturation is set up right. If you really want to get to the bottom of it you could use this telemetry tool that some tool called coresexual or something made for Dirt Rally https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/dirt-telemetry-tool-cortextuals-version.8246/ I should maybe reupload that in the Dirt Rally 2.0 section cos it apparently works fine but I don't really want to deal with it and there are other similar more extensive programs about. But it will show you for sure what your inputs are doing. 

None of this is about the AI so this thread kinda went off a bit but if your throttle isn't working it would explain you struggling against the AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched those first videos, I second Cortextual. The car shouldn't accelerate like that at full power. Are you sure your throttle controls are working correctly?

(for some reason it reminds me of a CVT)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cortextual said:

Yea in this first video you linked it looks like your throttle isn't opening completely,

I wasn't sure if the old telemetry tools would work with DR2.0, but do you think it would help at all if I ran it during another run somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CatBadders said:

I wasn't sure if the old telemetry tools would work with DR2.0, but do you think it would help at all if I ran it during another run somewhere?

I'm happy when any video includes a display of the inputs, I think it can be really instructive and helpful but I don't think it would ever convince LaPremier of anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cortextual said:

I'm happy when any video includes a display of the inputs, I think it can be really instructive and helpful but I don't think it would ever convince LaPremier of anything. 

I think I've seen the basic Free-Wheeler for OBS still working, so I'll try and do a run with it tonight. Should fit in nicely next to the webcam capture. Post suggestions for stages/cars if you all have any and I'll do my best to showcase what a 100% stock tuned car can do and the pedal work required to do it.

 

@LaPremierre that goes for you to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion:

Mk2 Golf
El Rodeo

Because it's short, I've been using this for testing times vs AI, and just because it was what happened to be the first combo I stumbled upon and stuck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×