DR 2.0 Graphic Hitching w/ Wheel Plugged In

Question

Didn't want to make this post but... looks like I have to. I was unable to play DiRT 4 due to a graphical hitch whenever my wheel was plugged in. Multiple people had the same issue as well. Was really down about that but gave the benefit of the doubt it would be fixed come DR 2.0. But unfortunately it has not. With the wheel plugged in, the game hitches for a split second every 3-6 seconds. The hitch is just enough that there's no avoiding going off course due to it making a rally game unplayable. DiRT Rally 2.0 and DiRT 4 are the only driving games that have this issue. AC, PC, ATS, iRacing all work as they should. PC Specs will be below 😞

PC SPECS:

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC) Z370

CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 3.7 (no OC)

COOLER: NZXT Kraken

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW (DiRT 4 ran fine on this exact card on an older pc, so the card is fine)

RAM: 32GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB (3200)

HD: Samsung 960 Evo (OS)

Samsung 850 Evo (Games, including DiRT)

Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD (recording only)

Peripherals:

KB -Razer Blackwidow X Chroma

Mouse - Steelseries Rival 300

Wheel - Logitech G29

Joystick (Handbrake) - Thrustmaster T16000M

AMP - Sennheiser GSX 1000

Headphones/Mic: Logitech G430

Open to any suggestions and even better, more than happy to help Codemasters resolve this as I know I'm not the only one with the problem. I'm a HUGE fan guys, let's try to resolve this yea? 😞

Cheers

-MADACE404

14 answers to this question

I experienced this as well, but my stutters are shorter than 1 second.
Ans I only have it with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763).
On the same machine I have Windows Insider installed, currently Build 18343.1 . There are no such hickups.

Hello,

i have the same problem, here with the accuforce v2 and HE seq Shifter. Setup ist 9900k, win 10 version 1809 (everything is up to date) msi 2080 ti trio Viewsonic XG20703 G-sync Wqhd, 32gb ram, hero xi wifi and so on. Its the same with Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4. Every other racing game (e.g. Iracing,R3e, both assetto corsa titles and all the f1 titels are great and no issues). Also no issues or stuttering in all the other games... here in the dirt titles stutter every few seconds, by unplugging the wheel its ok...but you know - i need the wheel for the game. There are a lot of threads round the internet. But it doesnt help. Running in compatility win 7 or 8 modus not ok, as admin...and all the other solutions round the web.

is there any macigal setting which i can try. Because of this i have to refund. The game is great but mostly unplayable...with my old setup years ago, there were also no issues by these titles...i tryed everything like the first poster here. I understand you 🙂

Best regards

Tobi

so i have found the issue, its a little bit wired but very easy. Only with plugging in my HE Sequential shifter and the plugging out. It works as it should, no stuttering, nothing. When i plug the shifter in again...then stuttering. how can we solve this....

So then restarting the game, the same error occurs, again while driving, pulling the shifter in and out, then it works. i can drive now without the shifter, pulling out the mouse cable or other devices doesnt help. Same procedere in Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4. Hm whats going on. I have no hubs and devices...every other game works. SO THERE MUST BE SOMETHING BEETWEN THE USB CONNECTIONS WITHIN the game by some users, not everyone has this problem. SO ONLY MY SHIFTER PULLING IN AND OUT solved the problem - on every new start 🙂

deleting the hardware config in my documents...doesnt help.

Edited 1 minute ago by Tobi1234
Edited by Tobi1234

Good news everyone! Well, hopefully good news for everyone, but I believe I have discovered the problem & a solution. Within Device Manager under "Human Interface Devices" I disabled all of the "HID-compliant devices" & "HID-compliant consumer control devices" and after doing that my hitches disappeared and I have been able to enjoy the game! If this fixes it for you let me know and maybe it will help Codemasters out figuring out the core issue.

Cheers!

Hello Madace,

yes that works for me in all the dirt titles now. With older hardware long time ago - no problems. For me i need to deactivate only this in the picture below. If i disable more devices i cant use my mouse headset, i have the he shifter to. So now i can use the wheel and shifter without stuttering every few seconds...thank you very much, thats it. But now i want to know why 🙂

image.png.8619ed3bfd7fbf78ae1e648afa783e4d.png

Edited by Tobi1234

It is a shame that a game-breaking bug from previous games is still in a $60 product, is impossible that Codemasters QA does not know about this issue since the internet is filled with desperate people asking for solutions (and none works), for years. Just google for "dirt 4 usb stutter".

This issue is as easy to reproduce as having Windows 10 with a G29 wheel, one of the most popular combinations on PC, still Codemasters seems to not care, this is insulting and sad.

Edited by mkotechno

Could any of you experiencing this issue please send your dxdiag to dirtgame@codemastes.com?  We are trying to narrow down why it is happening.

I had this problem yesterday in Daily stage in Argentina (Lancia Fulvia), others stages are fine (btw, wheel - T300RS)

Posted (edited)

This bug was present in the first game as well, from early access to present day. Codemasters never fixed it and I find it very unlikely it will ever be fixed in 2.0. Yes, you can sometimes temporarily fix it by disabling USB-hardware and stuff but it's never permanent and very inconsistent. Something with the way the game engine handles USB-devices is severely broken and has been for a long time, it's present in older DiRT games as well. There really should be a big fat warning when you purchase this game, because if you are affected by this problem you are basically screwed and will never be able to enjoy the game with your wheel. I backed 1.0 in early access and waited patiently for a fix to this, it never happened. I immediately refunded 2.0 when I found the problem is still there. Codemasters once again says they will look into it, but they said the same thing for 1.0 and then went quiet. They are most likely not able to fix it, or don't care because it doesn't affect enough customers.

Edited by os3n

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've the same stutter problem as many other players with Dirt Rally 2.0.

It's the first and only game for which I've had this issue (I don't have Dirt 4), I've never had that with the first Dirt Rally.

The only solution I've found to play without this stutter issue, is to restart the computer if it wasn't started just before playing.

Sometime it's OK after the first restart, and sometimes I've to restart the computer 2 or 3 times, but after the game is 100% stutter free.

I really don't knwo why, I've tried many things (game .exe executed as an admin; update every thing on the computer to the latest version, ...) nothing else than restarting the computer before playing helped.

To avoid ruinning my chances in the championship in carrer mode, before starting to play in carrer, what I have to do each time :

Go to the game menu to buy a new car, select randomly one car, and then test the car. After the presentation of the course, when there are travelings on landscapes, if stutters are present, it will be also the case while driving, I have to restart my computer. If no stutter during the traveling on landscapes, I know that I will have no problem during driving, whatever the duration of my game session.

I'll send a DXDiag report to Codemasters if it can help.

My computer specs are (from what I remerber, I will edit later if needed) :

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X-299 E-Gaming

CPU: Intel i7 7820X

COOLER: Corsair Hydro H105

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp edition

MONITOR : Asus Rog Swift PG279Q

RAM: 32GB GSKILL

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1 To (OS + online games)

HDD : WD Red or Black 4 To (other games, including DiRT games)

PSU : Corsair RM 1000i

Sound card : Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser PC 360 headphones

Peripherals:

KB -Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Mouse - Roccat Kone Aimo

Wheel - Fanatec CSW 2.5 wheel base + CSL Elite Wheel P1 + CSL Elite pedals LC

Other game controler connected to the computer : Xbox 360 controler (wired)

Game settings : 1440p and everything set to the max quality

I really hope that Codemaster will work on that subject, stutters in a rally game make it unplayable and that's impossible that they are not aware about this issue.

DxDiag.txt

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Spouny
DXDiag report attached

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 6:05 AM, CMMcBabe said:

Could any of you experiencing this issue please send your dxdiag to dirtgame@codemastes.com?  We are trying to narrow down why it is happening.

I sent my Dxdiag to you and you came back with 2 requests that didn't work. Check it. So now I know that it's connected to my wheel (Fanatec Clubsport V2- V3 pedals- SQ V 1.5 Shifter). Unplug wheel and I can play with my Xbox controller (terrible). Turn my wheel on and the hitch is back.

Ok so the HID disable works...but...I had to hook up another mouse because blindly disabling  all devices eventually got to mouse. I'm not sure just what else I've disabled there are about 20 items. And so now...the other problem of no FFB. SHeeSH...did anybody at codemaster's actually play this thing with more than an Xcrap controller? 

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Thingriz

I find if I disable the USB Input Device with Hardware ID

USB\VID_048D&PID_8297&REV_0003
USB\VID_048D&PID_8297

It works every time and I can also play the old titles, that is with a Thrustmaster T300RS

dr.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Spouny said:

Hello,

I've the same stutter problem as many other players with Dirt Rally 2.0.

It's the first and only game for which I've had this issue (I don't have Dirt 4), I've never had that with the first Dirt Rally.

The only solution I've found to play without this stutter issue, is to restart the computer if it wasn't started just before playing.

Sometime it's OK after the first restart, and sometimes I've to restart the computer 2 or 3 times, but after the game is 100% stutter free.

I really don't knwo why, I've tried many things (game .exe executed as an admin; update every thing on the computer to the latest version, ...) nothing else than restarting the computer before playing helped.

To avoid ruinning my chances in the championship in carrer mode, before starting to play in carrer, what I have to do each time :

Go to the game menu to buy a new car, select randomly one car, and then test the car. After the presentation of the course, when there are travelings on landscapes, if stutters are present, it will be also the case while driving, I have to restart my computer. If no stutter during the traveling on landscapes, I know that I will have no problem during driving, whatever the duration of my game session.

I'll send a DXDiag report to Codemasters if it can help.

My computer specs are (from what I remerber, I will edit later if needed) :

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X-299 E-Gaming

CPU: Intel i7 7820X

COOLER: Corsair Hydro H105

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp edition

MONITOR : Asus Rog Swift PG279Q

RAM: 32GB GSKILL

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1 To (OS + online games)

HDD : WD Red or Black 4 To (other games, including DiRT games)

PSU : Corsair RM 1000i

Sound card : Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser PC 360 headphones

Peripherals:

KB -Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Mouse - Roccat Kone Aimo

Wheel - Fanatec CSW 2.5 wheel base + CSL Elite Wheel P1 + CSL Elite pedals LC

Other game controler connected to the computer : Xbox 360 controler (wired)

Game settings : 1440p and everything set to the max quality

I really hope that Codemaster will work on that subject, stutters in a rally game make it unplayable and that's impossible that they are not aware about this issue.

DxDiag.txt

DxDiag.txt

Hi,

Here as attached file another DXDiag report, made after playing with the issue. The first one was made after playing without the issue. DXDiag reports comparison could shgow some difference and maybe help to explain what is wrong...

DxDiag.txt