Force Feedback Fix / Tweak for Thrustmaster, Logitech, Fanatec etc.....

5 minutes ago, bogani said:

Do you have a damper setting in the Logitech profiler? If so, is it on or off? If I recall correctly settings like wheel friction and tire friction required damper to be on in DR? 

Thank you. Deleted post and that's my bad. I did not realise they are related.. Apologies

9 minutes ago, Grumps82 said:

Thank you. Deleted post and that's my bad. I did not realise they are related.. Apologies

No worries, I'm not 100% sure myself to be honest. It was just in the back of my head. 

Did you test to confirm if that made a difference or not? 

People saying about the XML tweak amplifying the FFB. Well, that is exactly the point.

You have to amplify the FFB massively and then tweak / lower the in game settings to get the balance right. The fact that the FFB is SO WEAK is the reason why you increase the default value in the XML file in the first place. (If it's even there).

Im not sure why some people are getting agitated by this. Look, it either works (feels better) or it doesn't do anything and that's all there is to it. And for some people they don't have an issue at all......

Let's be clear here. There is obviously an issue with the strength of FFB (or lack of) for the majority of people here and elsewhere. And we have to do something to try and rectify the issue or in our eyes make it feel better. If it "works" for you then great, post your wheel, control panel settings, in game settings and job done.

As far as I know (after hours and hours of tweaking my guide) there are only 3 forces present in game :

SAT.

Suspension.

Collision.

Im my guide it's a very fine balance between overall strength (ffb_force), SAT and suspension. And unfortunately you have to play with the SAT and Suspension setting every time you change car or every time you change track country. 

To be honest it's not too bad, because the amplification is so high ffb_force it doesn't take a lot of tweaking in the settings.

I think the current physics in DR2 are very good indeed and I assume they have some sort of bearing on the FFB (I say assume, remember something isn't right though....).

But I do feel, in my own opinion that the current FFB by design is completely intended and is absolutely how it should be in Codemasters eyes. 

There are too many similarities between DR2 FFB and the FFB present in Dirt4. The fact that the XML file is nearly identical to DIRT 4 says a lot. And remember the FFB in Dirt4 was weak or was very vague ???

We somehow forgave that due to dirt4 being more arcade than sim......

So to finish. (I'll Keep plugging this)

Do check the guide I posted in steam, it does contain some useful information. But also check the other thread I created which also contains useful information about this issue from different people.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1663123655

https://steamcommunity.com/app/690790/discussions/0/1798529872643319472/

Codemasters have responded to this and that's great. Fingers crossed they come up with something..............

Edited by Grumps82

On 2/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, Rigle said:

The problem is his settings don't mean anything because other than Self aligning torque and the suspension setting nothing else is working. They need to add surface feel. 

I refuse to believe this is how the ffb was intended to feel. The people complaining about it don't want their wheel to be harder to turn by adding stonger ffb. We want to feel the ruts, bumps, and changes in the surface texture. 

Right now you don't feel the wheel go light when the front tires leave the ground, or the effect of slamming down after going off a jump. Under and over steer are not felt either. At least not like it was in DR1. The only feeling right now is that there is some kind of force when turning. This might be fine if you're in a real car and you have g forces to help you with the other feelings you need. But as sim racers with our pretend race cars, we need those feelings in the wheel. Even if they arent 100% accurate to real life. They are there to simulate everything that would be happening in a real car. The wheel is the only thing we have to give us information about what the car is doing. 

So if I'm driving on a rut filled road then my wheel needs to reflect that. It wouldn't be smooth with just self aligning torque. 

So for the people saying that rally cars are really easy to turn and don't take a lot of force, more resistance is not the complaint here. The wheel can be very easy to turn while still providing the other forces we are missing to give us the most imersive experience.

Also the surface degradation is an absolute fail if we can't feel the difference. Yay the road looks more beat up but it feels the same everywhere!

@ChristinaMc

Couldn’t agree more. This perfectly sums up how I feel about the FFB. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I wondered about many Good reviews and funny that NO ONE has noticed that this ghame is lack of FFB Effects...
Even Jon Armstrong (WRC7 E-sports World Champion)  failed to say - Hey guys, this game feels so 'flat'

What a shame!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mesa said:

I wondered about many Good reviews and funny that NO ONE has noticed that this ghame is lack of FFB Effects...
Even Jon Armstrong (WRC7 E-sports World Champion)  failed to say - Hey guys, this game feels so 'flat'

What a shame!

I wondered this myself. As others pointed out, maybe the review copies had the FFB correctly implemented and something has since changed with the release patch? I just don’t get how so many folks gave it glowing reviews and no one saw fit to mention the FFB oversights.

A real quagmire to be certain.

57217491_WhatsAppImage2019-03-02at15_29_16.thumb.jpeg.be961cc4a97777e6e7a15f3d15b2bd5d.jpeg

These settings on PS4 Pro are giving me ALOT of FBB so much so that il need to dial it back ever so slightly. Can feel the road surface, jumps basically its everything you would expect. 

• Agree 1

On 2/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, bn880 said:

I just wanted to say that using the starter Lancia with just basic FFB adjustments (and not the fix here) is actually feeling quite good/normal on gravel stages.    It seems those old cars have a bit more feedback than something from R5, or I am totally imagining things.  (Fanatec)

I think that's how it is meant to be. I mean, older rally cars had less refined wheels, suspensions, etc. so you can feel everything, while modern cars (R-call i.e.) tend to be... feel-less in some way. Maybe not as less as DR2, but less than a Gr. 2 or 4 car, for sure.

• Agree 1

Yep, I'd be fine with that. But still the FFB is a bit off and it's being worked on.

All of my tests / conclusions have been built around the old school cars. The newer ones have no interest to me.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:03 PM, Buckwilder said:

Xbox One X//TM TX Wheel user.

The FFB is DR 2.0 is a complete fail thus far.

Put simply - had they just ported over existing code from DR1 that would have been completely satisfactory, (though curious in light of surface degradation which to others points above - should ADD to the overall experience of road noise/feel).

The game feels borderline unplayable for me as the road feel and overall FFB model severely compromise my ability to ‘attack’ stages as I did in DR1.

Just for $hits and giggles I played DR1 last night immediately following a 2 hour session with DR2, and it was like a breath of fresh air. Reacting to road conditions, catching slides and managing throttle input based on haptic feedback is what Rally Racing is all about. Short of this, we may as well be playing a road racing game. 

DR2 will remain in the service area for ‘repairs and maintenance’ until this gets patched. DR1 will continue to get my seat time until further notice!

Shame really, as I was SUPER excited for DR2. To say I am left wanting would be a gross understatement. 

Love Codies, always have - and I have faith they’ll get this figured...hopefully sooner rather than later. As it stands this game has all the makings of a great title that has oddly missed the mark on what previously defined it’s heritage based on the greatest culmination of off road driving physics the gaming industry has ever seen.

Let’s hope rev 2 doesn’t spoil its 

That. Is. Exactly. What. I. Feel!

(PS4 Pro // Fanatec CSL Elite)

Edited by McRoessler
  • Agree 2

Here is my current FFB for my T500 RS. This is by far giving me good enough information to enjoy the game. 

You can dial down the Tire Friction if you want, but it mostly heavy when you're at a stand still and it lightens up when you start driving. 

Remember that Damper has to be active for wheel/tire friction effects to work. 

LUuvCVJ.jpg

• Agree 1

Thought I'd share my wheel settings after a week of fiddling. This is on PC using a Fanatec CSW v2. I haven't made the change to the define_devices file. This gives plenty strong feedback with quite a bit of road feel from the suspension setting. For example I get a very nice rattle of the wheel when going over a sheep grid in Australia and New Zealand. General road feel is not as enhanced as with the sheep grids but I have improved that by turning of vibration in my wheel settings which gets rid of the constant buzzing of vibration that I think was supposed to a add to the road feel but ended up just being annoying. I'd like more road feel but at least I can feel something now. The wheel also goes light over jumps and crests and I can now definitely feels the front getting lighter when I understeer, at least on tarmac, not so much on rough surfaces. I still hope codies improve things to make this game what it deserves to be but I'm happy for now.

Dirt Rally 2 FFB Settings.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim said:
Thought I'd share my wheel settings after a week of fiddling. This is on PC using a Fanatec CSW v2. I haven't made the change to the define_devices file. This gives plenty strong feedback with quite a bit of road feel from the suspension setting. For example I get a very nice rattle of the wheel when going over a sheep grid in Australia and New Zealand. General road feel is not as enhanced as with the sheep grids but I have improved that by turning of vibration in my wheel settings which gets rid of the constant buzzing of vibration that I think was supposed to a add to the road feel but ended up just being annoying. I'd like more road feel but at least I can feel something now. The wheel also goes light over jumps and crests and I can now definitely feels the front getting lighter when I understeer, at least on tarmac, not so much on rough surfaces. I still hope codies improve things to make this game what it deserves to be but I'm happy for now.

Dirt Rally 2 FFB Settings.png

Thanks for that mate! 
Would you be so kind to also share your wheel settings? 
Thanks! 

Edit:
Fanatec Wheel settings Dirt Rally 2.0

via PM from @Slim

Sen  Auto

FF  100

SHO OFF

ABS 85

DRI OFF

FOR 100

SPR 100

DPR 100

BRF 60

(FEI 90)*
*(my setting on Fanatec CSL Elite)

Edited by McRoessler
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bn880 said:

Yep, I'd be fine with that. But still the FFB is a bit off and it's being worked on.

Yes, that's for sure, the FFB could use some work, and it's great if they are working on it. Also, I tested today the game on a friend's PS4 and it feels just... odd. It's way worse than on PC

Nice to see people posting workable settings. That term of course being relative - BECUASE ON XBOX ONE WITH A THRUSTMASTER TX WHEEL WE DONT HAVE THEM!!! Lol

I can adjust SAT, and Suspension. Damper, wheel friction and tyre slip are not adjustable. Either greyed out or missing. 

Would be nice to fiddle, but no settings to do. I can’t acheive ANY sense of meaningful FFB. I am not playing the game anymore until this is fixed. 😭

Back to DR1 I go.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AyrtJ97 said:

Yes, that's for sure, the FFB could use some work, and it's great if they are working on it. Also, I tested today the game on a friend's PS4 and it feels just... odd. It's way worse than on PC

Thats not surprising.

• Like 1

Yes to above post. For all you PC user’s, if it’s bad there with all the adjustability - you can imagine how bad it is on consoles...😐

Would be interesting to know how many of the people that think the FFB is useless are on console vs PC. 

4 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Yes to above post. For all you PC user’s, if it’s bad there with all the adjustability - you can imagine how bad it is on consoles...😐

omg, those poor poor console people. Without the XML adjustments, the FFB is very poor.

• Agree 1

On 25 February 2019 at 10:01 PM, sbtm said:

I agree with some of the things here.

But I also fear that people might demand the FFB they get from track-racing with wide slicks and super stiff suspension.

In fact in Rally it is very easy to steer on the loose surfaces, in opposite to track racing on tarmac. 

Also, the tyres of rally cars have bigger sidewalls which also allows them to compress and "swallow" a good amount of bumps and "noise" from gravel.

The soft suspension does also it's part in filtering out the road surface.

The tyres are rubber after all and not wood.

I don't have a "consumer wheel" anymore so I cannot speak for them, but with my Simucube DD-Wheel (Small Mige) I can defintely feel the different road surfaces. Weight transfer is fantastic imo, self aligning torque is how I expect it to be and the feeling of a big jump is great. And last but not least, the feeling of getting dragged into a rut if you're starting very much behind everyone else.

Key for me was to set the "wheel friction" to a minimum (have it on 3) and "tyre friction" on 0. They are like dampening the signal. So the only sliders I work with are "self aligning torque" and "suspension". In the Simucube Config Tool I just set 2% Inertia and 0.5% Friction and every filter to Off, also the Reconstruction Filter to Off. 

Of course the FFB system has some flaws and a general improvement of the effects is neccessary, but maybe some people have to re-think what FFB in an actual rally car means and would be like, before they go on a rant. Just don't compare it to racing on tarmac please.

I think with something like a g29 you have to max out the SAT and suspension and add a bit of wheel weight about 40 -50 and tyre friction on about 50 as well. That's what I'm using and it feels pretty amazing to me; it actually feels like the tyres have flex and the gravel surfaces have a softness. The bump and Suspension feel Is also very good especially over the jumps and I can even even feel the road camber. And when I go completely sideways, the wheel goes very light. 

Edited by FreddieJupiter
  • Agree 1

@bogani Hello, I will test your setup. I have a T150 that is not exactly the same wheel but I didn't know that tyre friction works only if the damper setting in the control panel of the drivers was activated. I hate the wheel friction but like to have tyre friction. May be I will need to make some tweak here and here because of the wheel that is not exactly the same but it could make me able to give me more sensation. Thank you, I will tell you the result ^^ 

Just want to know, now many degrees you put on your wheel on the Thrustmaster control panel settings ?

Edited by Mooncrystal