Force Feedback Fix / Tweak for Thrustmaster, Logitech, Fanatec etc.....

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FreddieJupiter said:

Sorry, but you really don't feel anything through the steering wheel in real life when going over bumps or gravel. Next time you are driving your car pay careful attention to what you can actually feel through the steering column. You think you can feel bumps through the steering column but in fact you will find that you feel the bumps and various shocks through the chassis and it feels like it's coming through the wheel.

also I never said that the surface texture effect in DR1 is wrong; I said its fake because it's canned as opposed to deriving from the suspension physics. 

Try reading what people post. He already stated that's why Sims add effects to the FFB for Wheel because you have no other senses to act on while driving a car in a simulator.

Virtually every post on the FFB in this game states you cannot feel the jumps, loss of grip etc through the wheel, the fact that some sliders are greyed out or do nothing

to the feel of the wheel FFB proves the point the FFB is totally missing the required effects whether by design (bad) or useless implementation (worse).

The odd mentions I have seen of people getting good FFB are those on a PS4 as far as I recall. Maybe they work ok ish on PS4 but not on anything else.

Would be interesting to find out.

PC and G25 here, works great in all other sims including DR1,  this is totally flat feeling only Sat and the definitely canned cattle grid. 

Used the xml file tweak to up force to 5, turned SAT down and Susp up, get a little feedback of undulations and trackside with that, still bad compared to any other Race/Driving game though.

Edited by DelDredd
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, Grumps82 said:

Just want to thank you all for the positive vibes for this guide.

Ive managed to get a refund on this game after 17Hours playtime.

https://gyazo.com/71abc58ca8b036dd834773bc1e0414cc 

https://gyazo.com/daa2d56b7cae3babd5ddfb5c5e36966d 

I'll revisit in a few months when the issues are sorted. All the best gents.

If Codemasters is giving refunds ... where do I sign up?  

14 hours ago, FreddieJupiter said:

It certainly doesn't feel screwed for me, but like I said I'm on a different console using a different wheel. 

I guess well we'll just have to wait for codemasters to make an official announcement. 

I’m on a G29 + ps4pro and completely agree with the guy (and everyone else) you’re arguing against. The FFB is very very average in DR 2.0. You can try to sell it all you like, but by the simple fact the vast majority of users report the same experience means there is more to it. 

Go play F1 2018, GT Sport, PC2, DR.....just about any other driving game and have more feel for the road than DR2. End of story. 

I can still play the game, but it could be so much better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Ferrethead81 said:

I’m on a G29 + ps4pro and completely agree with the guy (and everyone else) you’re arguing against. The FFB is very very average in DR 2.0. You can try to sell it all you like, but by the simple fact the vast majority of users report the same experience means there is more to it. 

Go play F1 2018, GT Sport, PC2, DR.....just about any other driving game and have more feel for the road than DR2. End of story. 

I can still play the game, but it could be so much better.

There are definitely different opinions about the ffb, I'm aware of that. At the end of the day the ffb we've got is the ffb that Jon Armstrong has been driving with for months before release ( I doubt they inexplicably changed it immediately prior to release) and in fact he probably steered it in that direction. 

I happen to quite like the ffb in DR 2.0 ( at least with my wheel on the ps4 pro) and you're free to disagree with me, but there many people who will disagree with you that F1 2018 and GT Sport and PC2 have great ffb. 

• Disagree 2

8 hours ago, DelDredd said:

Try reading what people post. He already stated that's why Sims add effects to the FFB for Wheel because you have no other senses to act on while driving a car in a simulator.

Virtually every post on the FFB in this game states you cannot feel the jumps, loss of grip etc through the wheel, the fact that some sliders are greyed out or do nothing

to the feel of the wheel FFB proves the point the FFB is totally missing the required effects whether by design (bad) or useless implementation (worse).

The odd mentions I have seen of people getting good FFB are those on a PS4 as far as I recall. Maybe they work ok ish on PS4 but not on anything else.

Would be interesting to find out.

PC and G25 here, works great in all other sims including DR1,  this is totally flat feeling only Sat and the definitely canned cattle grid. 

Used the xml file tweak to up force to 5, turned SAT down and Susp up, get a little feedback of undulations and trackside with that, still bad compared to any other Race/Driving game though.

It feels flat because of the missing canned gravel texture effects and massively exaggerated bump effects. if you're one of those people who loves having his wheel shaken to smithereens by such effects then I understand why you don't like the ffb in this game. 

Id be willing to bet that if Codemsters decide to patch those effects in ( if possible) you guys will suddenly be deliriously happy even if nothing else changes in ffb. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

The fact that the game recognizes wheel presets and makes certain parameters non adjustable would suggest there is a different feel to the FFB depending on the hardware being used. In an obvious sense of course because hardware is inherently different, but also insofar as its application with the game and how Codies designed the software to react with the various hardware.

I think it fair to say we can agree to disagree on the FFB. I entirely believe that it feels ok on your set up, and that’s all good. The fact remains that for most of us, something feels amiss.

In the end, we all just want the game to feel like a worthy successor to the previous game - which right now it does not in most peoples view.  There are many driving/Rally enthusiasts on here who have a lot of experience with different games, so I take all their words to be very telltale.

Fact, fiction, opinion, or otherwise - the general sentiment is not favourable...the numbers don’t lie and something isn’t quite right in our collective opinion.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, FreddieJupiter said:

There are definitely different opinions about the ffb, I'm aware of that. At the end of the day the ffb we've got is the ffb that Jon Armstrong has been driving with for months before release ( I doubt they inexplicably changed it immediately prior to release) and in fact he probably steered it in that direction. 

I'm a little more skeptical of people being paid to promote a product than others it seems.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2019 at 6:31 AM, FreddieJupiter said:

Sorry, but you really don't feel anything through the steering wheel in real life when going over bumps or gravel. Next time you are driving your car pay careful attention to what you can actually feel through the steering column. You think you can feel bumps through the steering column but in fact you will find that you feel the bumps and various shocks through the chassis and it feels like it's coming through the wheel.

also I never said that the surface texture effect in DR1 is wrong; I said its fake because it's canned as opposed to deriving from the suspension physics. 

In my real car, I can feel even the slightest bumps in the road, such as a manhole cover or even just a pavement repair edge, for example. And since the wheel or controller is the only FFB device that 99 % of players have, this feedback from the road surface must be conveyed through this device, even if the feedback on the real car may come more through the chassis than through the steering column (though I'm sure that it comes through both, because the steering column is connected to the chassis).

It would be fine to make those effects optional for people who don't like them, but not even including them makes no sense, since most people want them.

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, FreddieJupiter said:

It feels flat because of the missing canned gravel texture effects and massively exaggerated bump effects. if you're one of those people who loves having his wheel shaken to smithereens by such effects then I understand why you don't like the ffb in this game. 

Id be willing to bet that if Codemsters decide to patch those effects in ( if possible) you guys will suddenly be deliriously happy even if nothing else changes in ffb. 

No.  I never have massive forces, I like to feel the effects and cars are a lot easier to race and control if you have lower overall force.

I have tried Jon Armstrongs settings and like the majority found them to be lacking in feel, I wonder if he tried somebody else's system with the release version he would think it still any good. 

Steer Angle Torque and one single effect triggered by cattle grids in no way gives anybody the sense of being in a car let alone being able to tell what the car is doing.

• Agree 1

Hi, i've tryed the xml hack (ffb_force to 5 on my csw v2.5) and this is good to amplify the road feelings, bumps, gravel and so on.... It needs to put down, into the game's ffb settings, the self allin.torque to 10-12 to be driveable and have a not too heavy wheel.
BUT
to feel the road textures (that are clearly too down with vanilla xml) you have to put the suspensions value, in game's ffb settings, still on 100 or more, but in this way my wheel have clearly more torque in the left direction :(:classic_huh:
So, when i turn left, it's easy and with low auto-align force, when i turn right it's heavyer and high centering force. 
This with all cars and default setup. 
It's clearly related to the suspensions value (and the xml hack) because if i turn down suspensions and i raise up all other ffb values, i dont feel road textures and i have a very heavy wheel, but in the same way in both left and right directions

On 3/6/2019 at 6:05 PM, Grumps82 said:

Just want to thank you all for the positive vibes for this guide.

Ive managed to get a refund on this game after 17Hours playtime.

https://gyazo.com/71abc58ca8b036dd834773bc1e0414cc 

https://gyazo.com/daa2d56b7cae3babd5ddfb5c5e36966d 

I'll revisit in a few months when the issues are sorted. All the best gents.

So even the author of this work around has given up.

Good work Codemasters, really knocking it out of the park here.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, emaplay3 said:

Hi, i've tryed the xml hack (ffb_force to 5 on my csw v2.5) and this is good to amplify the road feelings, bumps, gravel and so on.... It needs to put down, into the game's ffb settings, the self allin.torque to 10-12 to be driveable and have a not too heavy wheel.
BUT
to feel the road textures (that are clearly too down with vanilla xml) you have to put the suspensions value, in game's ffb settings, still on 100 or more

That's interesting. I set ffb_force to 5 and Suspension to maximum (150), but still there's no road texture feedback at all on my Thrustmaster T150. Looks like the problem only affects some wheel models ...?

I don't believe the ffb_force = 5 tweak has anything to do with actually bringing back road feel. What it does is cause the suspension FFB from DR2 that your wheel is outputting to 'clip', i.e. go way beyond the signals it's designed to reproduce. This makes a feeling like a "thud" or a "hit" and that's somewhat akin to the gravel clunks and such from DR1. But again, it's not really road feel, it's the suspension FFB clipping and thudding through your wheel.

It is interesting that everyone is toiling away with work-arounds and attempted remedies. Face it gents, the FFB is FUBAR. As ShodanCat noted, messing with .xml files and ramping up settings doesn’t do anything but clutter the signal. Which is to say - feeling ‘something’ doesn’t mean what your feeling makes it any better (or worse for that matter). No matter how crafty one is at stacking settings, it will not magically produce a level of FFB that the game needs or deserves. Best to just let Codies roll out the patch in due course and reevaluate from there.

I really hope the patch comes out before the DLC. If not, that would be in poor taste me thinks. “Hey folks, spend more of your hard earned cash so you can enjoy this giant cow pattie in a different pasture”...lol

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2019 at 1:55 AM, ShodanCat said:

I don't believe the ffb_force = 5 tweak has anything to do with actually bringing back road feel. What it does is cause the suspension FFB from DR2 that your wheel is outputting to 'clip', i.e. go way beyond the signals it's designed to reproduce. This makes a feeling like a "thud" or a "hit" and that's somewhat akin to the gravel clunks and such from DR1. But again, it's not really road feel, it's the suspension FFB clipping and thudding through your wheel.

Yes, it's a fact that is does not bring back road feel, because the road feel signal is simply not existing, at least not on my wheel (T150). Not with ffb_force = 5, not even with ffb_force = 9, which I also tried out of curiosity. But the cattle grid signal is there, and since that should have about the same magnitude and the same parameter source as the road texture vibration, it is obvious that the latter is simply missing.

Codemasters announced a patch today for next week on Twitter. Let's hope that it fixes the issue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Laserjones said:

Yes, it's a fact that is does not bring back road feel, because the road feel signal is simply not existing, at least not on my wheel (T150). Not with ffb_force = 5, not even with ffb_force = 9, which I also tried out of curiosity. But the cattle grid signal is there, and since that should have about the same magnitude and the same parameter source as the road texture vibration, it is obvious that the latter is simply missing.

Codemasters announced a patch today for next week on Twitter. Let's hope that it fixes the issue.

Are you sure for the patch next week? I can't find this post on Twitter. Codemasters say they're working on a patch but there's no schedule. Where do you see it ?

Edited by Micka3719

23 hours ago, Micka3719 said:

Are you sure for the patch next week? I can't find this post on Twitter. Codemasters say they're working on a patch but there's no schedule. Where do you see it ?

Someone posted it on Facebook. But I looked at it again and it seems to be a private reply to someone, not an official tweet (see attachment). That's probably why you didn't find it.

54197775_2243707349020258_4104381480904425472_n.jpg

• Like 1