DiRT Rally 2.0 Unlimited Restart on the Career Modes

Some of the comments on here need to be in r/gatekeeping

This thread is another classic example of the pretentiousness of "sim" racing game players who think they're actually doing something which is even an approximation of real life. Go on the Gran Turismo forums and you'll find people just like those above. The idea that this isn't just as much a video game as Forza or indeed Candy Crush is just an absurd delusion. You are playing a game, no amount of omitted options, mandatory manual controls or other things to make things more "realistic" will change that. Just get over it. You don't get any restarts in real life, so in terms of "realism" there's no difference between five and unlimited. You can't have "realism" a la carte.

If we extend the logic of having no restarts because restarts are unrealistic, this game really shouldn't multiple levels of difficulty (I mean I fired it up and won the first stage, doesn't sound very realistic to me), or support DS4 controllers, since we should all be playing it with a full simulation cockpit at home. But why stop there? We should really be out buying our own rally cars and not playing this game indoors at all. Where's the red line?

Stop gatekeeping what the red line for realism is because you're not a rally driver, it's not a real car, it's a game. You are no more realistic a rally driver than I am a cowboy when I fire up Red Dead. As soon as you criticise what someone thinks should be in a game as being "unrealistic" you have lost the argument. By all means, disagree on the grounds that you think a change would make for poor gameplay/storyline/controls/whatever, but you cannot, by definition, use realism as a grounds for game critique. 

+1 for unlimited restarts. The first game had a penalty system of lost cash, which worked just fine. Frankly I don't see the need to force people to go practice the track outwith the career mode. It's just putting a hat on a hat. Rarely do I need to restart a stage several times, but it's nice to know that I can, and I can keep pushing myself without fear of messing up a career - which frankly not fun, which is what video games are supposed to be (as well as frustrating and challenging, which this game is plenty without the restart limit). 

Edited by redrook
  • Agree 1

On 9/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, redrook said:

+1 for unlimited restarts. The first game had a penalty system of lost cash, which worked just fine. Frankly I don't see the need to force people to go practice the track outwith the career mode. It's just putting a hat on a hat. Rarely do I need to restart a stage several times, but it's nice to know that I can, and I can keep pushing myself without fear of messing up a career - which frankly not fun, which is what video games are supposed to be (as well as frustrating and challenging, which this game is plenty without the restart limit). 

You just don't understand, that there are people who want a challenge. Good for you, that you just play casually to have fun. I need a challenge to be excited, to have fun. If a game doesn't give me that, I get bored quickly.

The thrill of pushing to the limit and win or **** it up, is what I want. If we have unlimited restarts, you can just time trial the stages as often you want. This doesn't simulate the spririt of rally for me. And that has nothing directly to do how close the realism is to RL.

Yes, you could say now: "Then just don't use the restarts!" But we all know this doesn't work, if there is a choice.

A simple solution comes in mind: Options.

Have a casual mode for the sunday drivers with unlimited restarts and less credits output.

Have a hardcore mode without any restarts and with better credits output.

And both are not changeable within a championship. Problem solved.