DiRT Rally 2.0 Unlimited Restart on the Career Modes

1 hour ago, Mastoideu said:

I suggest removing the 5 restarts limit from the career modes.

Absolutely agree...remove the restarts altogether!!

If they keep this up anybody could be mistaken for thinking that this is an arcade racer... :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Clarifying my suggestion of having unlimited restarts (like in DiRT Rally, btw):

1. It doesn’t kill any illusions that this is a simulation, not an arcade game. Having 5 restarts is as realistic as having an unlimited amount. In real life you only get one chance to get it right. And if it’s true that this is a hardcore simulation it is not less true that it is also a game, and games are supposed to be a source of fun, not of frustration.

2. Human players are competing against an AI that knows the tracks and makes the most out of it, leaving little to no margin for mistakes (depending on the difficulty settings). In other words, human players start with the handicap of not knowing each and every detail of every stage, but the AI sistematically achieves times only possible after becoming totally familiar with them.

3. Having unlimited restarts on the career mode won’t spoil anything. After all the players have access to all the rallies and cars - with unlimited restarts - in all the other game modes. But having the 5 restart limitation definitely spoils the career mode for me. Why even bother if I can create the exact same championships with unlimited restarts.

3 hours ago, LAVAMAN82 said:

Well I'd suggest no restarts at all in career. That's real.

I’d be fine with that as it wouldn’t change much for me. Unfortunately I’m not a good enough driver to go through a rally and clear all stages at the first attempt and still be at the top of the table.

As for being real... well, no, it wouldn’t, actually! And that’s because there’s still the possibility of pausing the game (yep, also not that realistic) before finishing a stage, going back to the main menu (and losing the progress on that stage) and then going back to career mode where you’ll be starting the same stage again. It’s a convoluted and unpractical way to get unlimited restarts... but it’s there.

Like in all simulations, even in the hardcore ones, the developers always have to make concessions (like being able to pause in the middle of a run) to ensure that there’s a fine balance between realism and playability. After all, they don’t spend their time trying to make a game so real that it is not fun to play and that no one will be willing to buy.

As for the unlimited replays conundrum, there’s still another possibility: give the players the possibility to choose between limited or unlimited replays in career mode.

it would be for me to eliminate any restart, all driving assist, wipers and lights that can only be activated manually

Having restarts gives players choice, choice is never a bad thing.

Regardless of the feelings from some on the matter, other folks will want to restart, and why shouldn't they? If restarts bother you, surely you have enough self control to ignore them and carry on regardless. The same with assists, if that is not how you want to play, disable them, and never look back, as I do. You have issues, if greater player choice and others choosing to play differently bothers you.

Edited by Hexcaliber
Words
  • Agree 2

I would only support 1 restart per stage as minimum (not 0).  Because you should be able to do a virtual recce run of every stage before you go full speed on it.  (and all this should be an option anyway)

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, ale81udine said:

it would be for me to eliminate any restart, all driving assist, wipers and lights that can only be activated manually

I’m afraid I totally miss your point - my bad for sure - because you do have the choice, on all playing modes, to turn off all assists, the automatic wipers and not to use any restarts. And if that’s not hardcore enough for you, why not  just turning off the volume on the co-pilot’s voice?

Maybe you’d be kind enough to let us know what’s the rational behind your suggestion?

Back to topic - the option to have unlimited restarts in career mode - and this goes almost without saying, I would be totally in favor of rewarding players that would opt for a no or limited number of restarts career with special achievements, extra coins and/or reduced repair times (as in previous games of the DiRT series) or in any other way that would adequately reward their skills!

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mastoideu said:

Temo totalmente manca il tuo punto - il mio male di sicuro - perché  fare  avere la scelta, su tutte le modalità di gioco, di spegnere tutti assist, i tergicristalli automatici e di non utilizzare alcun riavvio. E se per te non è abbastanza hardcore, perché non spegnere il volume della voce del co-pilota?

Forse saresti così gentile da farci sapere qual è la ragione dietro al tuo suggerimento?

Tornando all'argomento - l'opzione per riavviare in modo illimitato in modalità carriera - e questo è ovvio, sarei totalmente a favore di premiare i giocatori che opterebbero per un numero limitato o limitato di ricomincia carriera con risultati speciali, monete extra e / o tempi di riparazione ridotti (come nei precedenti giochi della serie DiRT) o in qualsiasi altro modo che ricompenserebbe adeguatamente le loro abilità!

they are personal opinions, not suggestions. the codriver does not need to be turned off. in reality it exists and speaks. the rest are my thoughts, like running on RBR, no assist guides, no restart in the race, if you're wrong you're retired like reality. at least that there is not a "superrally" option returning to the race with penalty.

My feeling is that DR2 isn't really a casual game so having infinite restarts (as well as flashbacks and rewinds - thankfully not included) kind of detracts from the spirit in which the game was intended to be played. Besides which, Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 (in "I don't want to have fun" mode) were both incredibly difficult games and the euphoria of getting something right after countless hours of trying (without using available restarts) was infinitely better than just hoping for the best with continuous restarting, so in some ways it's good that Codemasters have given gamers an opportunity to experience a greater degree of self satisfaction (as well as a sporting chance or two) with the introduction of limited restarts. 

One point of mention: First time around I won the Legend championship (albeit by an incredible stroke of luck) in DR1 without winning a single event so it's not always about finishing first 🙂

However, removing all assists to create the 'ultimate simulation experience' is a slightly different matter because not everyone has the benefit of racing wheels and using limited range controller triggers as opposed to pedals is difficult enough without throwing ABS 'off' into the mix as well. So no, let's keep things optional there.

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

@ale81udine Ah, I believe I get it now. You don’t oppose to having those options in the game, you just personally don’t make use them, which is perfectly fine.

@_BorisTheFrog_ The topic - or my suggestion - is a bit more specific: to enable the option to have unlimited restarts on career mode.

Judging by the lack of support for my suggestion I’m starting to think that I’m the only one having trouble on clearing the career rally with only 5 restarts (which unfortunately tells a lot about my driving skills... or lack of them) 😔 so I guess it is not such a good idea after all. And I definitely will be enjoying the rest of this great game.

5 hours ago, Mastoideu said:

I’m starting to think that I’m the only one having trouble on clearing the career rally with only 5 restarts

Your problem is you are trying to complete the events on the first pass and still be at the top of the leaderboards. Honestly outside of Clubman, most people probably can't compete a full championships in a single attempt with no restarts and win it out right - that is hard and honestly requires a lot of skill to drive stages you have no knowledge of flat out.

Your goal should be to finish a full championship without restarts and see where you land. The AI may be fast, but they also crash/break down a lot so you have plenty of chances to make up lost time in other ways. Focus on finishing clean, fast will come after.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, CatBadders said:

Your problem is you are trying to complete the events on the first pass and still be at the top of the leaderboards

Bullseye!!! I admit I may have a bit of OCD. Whenever I make a driving mistake I feel like the run is ruined and want to start over until I get it right! Thanks for the constructive advice!

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mastoideu said:

Bullseye!!! I admit I may have a bit of OCD. Whenever I make a driving mistake I feel like the run is ruined and want to start over until I get it right! Thanks for the constructive advice!

No problem, I had the same issue my first hundred hours or so of DR1. Took me a weekend of just accepting a few losses before I started to enjoy losing by a hair. The AI, even on the hardest difficulty, does mess up occasionally. Your goal is to keep it close so that when they do, you can fully capitalize on it. Once you win your first championship without restarts, you will never even consider a restart again outside of time trials.

• Agree 1

@CatBadders Ironically I got my OCD problem in DR1. The AI was so relentless that in order to win the Masters all runs had to be nearly perfect (and the AI didn’t mess up much, or at least not enough to give me a fair chance) so I just got used to instantly hit replay at the slightest mistake. I guess I’ll have to lose that nasty habit now. It shouldn’t be as difficult as to stop smoking (hopefully, since I didn’t manage that one yet 😞)!

@Mastoideu look at it this way - why should you be upset you lost to an AI on the hardest difficulty the game can offer you who is matching basically Jon Armstrong's pace? Especially if you kept it damn close the whole event. You just paced a WRC driver, that's damn impressive.  I'm not 100% sure about DR2.0's implementation, but normally the AI drivers tend to do better at certain locations and you won't have a single driver sweeping every event if you aren't in 1st. So if you can manage a 2nd/3rd/1st/4th championship, you've still got a damn good shot at winning the entire thing when the other racers are finishing 1st/6th/2nd/5th

These are endurance races just as much as they are time attacks, and with the new damage model everyone feels the endurance aspect.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, CatBadders said:

why should you be upset you lost to an AI on the hardest difficulty the game can offer

What part of OCD didn’t you get??? (I’m obviously joking, well... mostly). Rationally I couldn’t agree with you more. But then there’s that tiny little devil sitting on my shoulder and whispering “you can do it, just give it one more try precious!”

I personally like having limited restarts, seems to actually make the entire thing less stressful lol.  I may use one right at the first stage to allow myself to get the hang of the stage beyond what I could get out of the shake downs, and I'll save most of them for if some real life thing happens that distracts me and causes me to crash.  like if my phone rings, or someone knocks on the doorbell, or my cats do something, but I usually won't restart because I placed 20th place or so.  DR1 there wasn't a penalty for restarting, it'd become habit to obsess over this aspect.  D4 I think gave you the option of whether or not you wanted to be able to obsess.  Now you're forced to take it as it is.  It doesn't really matter in the end, you may not win that championship enough to get promoted but that also doesn't matter.  You will have earned money, your car will get upgrades, and most importantly you will have gained real experience.  The idea is you'll get good enough to win and get promoted in a more realistic manner instead of cheesing your way through with retries at every opportunity.  🙂

• Agree 1

There needs to be a option to turn off 5 restarts so The average racer can still enjoy racing u can’t even learn the track in 5 restarts it’s so frustrating also needs support for psvr 

There is a workaround for restarting without using one of the 5 restarts. Just quit to main menu and then come back to career mode. Starts you back at the beginning of the race and you don't lose a restart.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Mastoideu said:

there’s still the possibility of pausing the game (yep, also not that realistic) before finishing a stage, going back to the main menu (and losing the progress on that stage) and then going back to career mode where you’ll be starting the same stage again. It’s a convoluted and unpractical way to get unlimited restarts... but it’s there.

😉

On 3/2/2019 at 1:37 AM, Hussey86 said:

There needs to be a option to turn off 5 restarts so The average racer can still enjoy racing u can’t even learn the track in 5 restarts it’s so frustrating also needs support for psvr 

FREEPLAY - Custom Career, pick the stage you want to learn, set the difficulty, play until you've learned the track, or  enough of it to feel comfortable on it. Then go back and do the stage in Career.

I think having it as an option would be ok. Maybe 3 modes (none, 5 Restarts, unlimited). And simply have a credits multiplier depending on the setting. So you get a lot more credits with the no restarts setting compared to the unlimited setting.

Posted (edited)

Hi, I don't agree on removing the 5 restart limit. Well, at least not just "remove the limit", there must be either something like a "pro career" mode, or an option to limit restart, but which will give you greater rewards or something like that.

I'll try to explain why I don't want this limit to be removed:

I bought this game (and not Dirt 4 or WRC or others rally games) because it is more realistic than others, and aim to an audience that wants a more simulation/hardcore game. I'm not saying that this game is pure simulation of course, but it is certainly more a simulation than other rally games (except RBR probably).

What I enjoy in this game, is going on a series of stage, knowing that I am not allowed to drive recklessly, and I must drive as fast as possible BUT really safe as well. Knowing that if I mess up too bad a corner I won't be able to restart to undo my mistake makes the experience really thrilling.

If you remove the limit, I'll know that if I crash, I can restart as much as I want, so I'll tend to try to drive faster (consciously or unconsciously) and crash more. Here, most of you will tell me "but if you don't want restart, just don't use it you idiot!". => Problem is, I'm human, and when I crash I'm sometimes frustrated, so there is a little voice that will say to me "hey just use a restart and your mistake will be undone..." and it's difficult to resist sometime. I mean, can you resist to all temptation in life ? People are smoking although they would want to stop, they are spending too much money and would want to spend less but can't resist, they eat too much chocolate even if they know it's bad and they should stop...

TLDR: I would loose the excitement and fear of crashing, which is what I'm looking for in this game, and also what the devs wanted to provide.

Edited by Nagrom