Please bring back analogue handbrake support.

Right now, analogue handbrakes are seen only as buttons rather than progressive as with Dirt Rally and Dirt 4. I really hope we get this feature back because it makes a HUGE difference having the extra controllability that comes with a progressive handbrake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Totally agree with this and make sure we can set a deadzone. Can't use my Fanatec handbrake as it sometimes stick a few % on and when that happens I can't play.

• Agree 1

Yeah this is a very important feature for me as well with a Fanatec HB.  It's also at the core of professional rally driving.

Note I posted about this in the suggestion section 

feel free to support that thread as well.  Maybe we will get some traction there.  Pun, as usual, intended.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It does work? Using a Heusinkveld Handbrake myself and it is definitely recognized as an X-axis that you can feel progressively lock tighter. I've been abusing the hell out of it doing WR runs with the R5 Fiesta on El Rodeo.

Make sure you go through both windows & your handbrakes custom software (if it has any) to calibrate it. Had to do it a few times and reboot for it to also recognize it as a handbrake on the starting line, but after that it works flawlessly now.

Edited by CatBadders

Definitely not working here even after various setup attempts.  The HB is configured properly in windows etc and is working fine in other titles.  Even moving the HB a few mm is locking the wheels of a totally stable R5 car on tarmac.   It is recognized as an axis in DR 2.0 and can be utilized for launch control but no analog feature can be detected when driving.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1

I kept forgetting to check this since I saw the first posting of this, but finally remembered to last night.  Indeed, my analog handbrake isn't working in an analog fashion.  Just around midway of pulling it it will go from 0% brake to 100% brake.  No wonder my handbrake hairpins have been fairly harsh.  This absolutely should be fixed, this was working fine in the previous games that I just assumed it'd always work.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, ShodanCat said:

Right now, analogue handbrakes are seen only as buttons rather than progressive as with Dirt Rally and Dirt 4. I really hope we get this feature back because it makes a HUGE difference having the extra controllability that comes with a progressive handbrake.

The fact this even has to be mentioned is staggering. I bought my handbrake on the basis that it worked with Dirt Rally, so expected it to work this time round. Quite frankly, Codemasters have dropped the ball yet again on this issue. Staggering.

I work for Amazon. It sucks balls, and every day I go in makes me more miserable. Seriously, if you need a game tester let me know, cos it looks like there's gonna be some openings soon.

• Like 1

I actually need to eat my foot, because I went back and did some very careful testing and found it actually is working as analogue. By holding a steady throttle position and driving at a certain speed, then carefully and slowly pulling the handbrake, I could see the amount of drag coming from the brakes increased as I pulled it more. Still, 1) it's confusing since there are no axis adjustments you can make on the handbrake axis, which should still be addressed, and 2) it seems much more sensitive in how it's activated compared to Dirt Rally so that makes the behavior seem digital.

So yeah, apologies to Codies for saying analogue support isn't even in the game when it is. 😳

Edited by ShodanCat
  • Like 3

I will do some more testing here, it was nigh impossible to touch my Fanatec HB without a lockup on tarmac.  I did my tests pretty well.  Either way something needs to be done to fix the sensitivity.

• Like 1

Yes it's true, there is an analog range but it's concentrated at the first 5% of the movement of the HB.  Definitely a problem.   For example I have 1cm of play on the Fanatec HB to get any kind of analog action, out of 12cm.  So just as you barely put any force on the lever, you already get a lock.  Therefore essentially the request remains to fix it.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

That is odd, totally differs from my own careful tests.  I was only able to see two different states for it, which does differ from my testing in dirt rally which has a very obvious gradual increase in pressure.  Seems like it'd be going to full lock too quick in the range for me to even do anything with that. 

• Like 1

Just now, lilfurbal said:

That is odd, totally differs from my own careful tests.  I was only able to see two different states for it, which does differ from my testing in dirt rally which has a very obvious gradual increase in pressure.  Seems like it'd be going to full lock too quick in the range for me to even do anything with that. 

Yes it is analog in some extreme careful tests, but not useful feel/range for daily usage.  At least not on a Fanatec HB as is.

My test just showed no change is speed when driving away in 3rd while fully held down and slowly lifting up. I'm not convinced by it at all since this conversation started. 

That's not a proper use case.  You need to test HB application at speed to see how progressively you can activate it.  So A) when it does and doesnt lock wheels and B) how much deceleration are you seeing.  You have to understand that since htis is all programmed you are likely to run into other simulation issues if you don't stick as closely to the real/intended use case as possible.  (and so afaik HB is used to affect turn in from speed and for override to launch in DR)

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, Slim said:

Totally agree with this and make sure we can set a deadzone. Can't use my Fanatec handbrake as it sometimes stick a few % on and when that happens I can't play.

You mean like the drivetrain randomly disconnects when you drive so you just starts empty revving instead? 

I have this issue with my Fanatec HB from time to time. Usually if I deshell it and wiggle the connectors inside it solves the problem temporarily. 

On 2/24/2019 at 3:51 PM, Slim said:

Set a higher minimum threshold in your Fanatec CPL for the time being.  "set min"

The HB will be either under your pedals or under your CSW 2.5 configuration depending where you plugged it in.

2019-02-28_08h44_44.png

• Like 1

Here is a detailed test I did for the HB using Fanatec, 

as you can see, it locks way too quick.  (the white numbers are FL, FR, RL, RR wheel speeds)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

By the way anyone who has their handbrake put out even 1% on during a stage will lose about 20-30s a stage, AND will not be able to launch at all.  Happened to me, wasted half an hour solving it.   :classic_angry: (didn't know why I couldn't launch intermittently)

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, bn880 said:

Set a higher minimum threshold in your Fanatec CPL for the time being.  "set min"

The HB will be either under your pedals or under your CSW 2.5 configuration depending where you plugged it in.

2019-02-28_08h44_44.png

Thanks for this. I had thought it was possible in Fanatec Properties page but had forgot to check. I've set a small inside deadzone and not had a problem since. So much easier using the handbrake than a button on the wheel.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 12:04 PM, bn880 said:

Here is a detailed test I did for the HB using Fanatec, 

as you can see, it locks way too quick.  (the white numbers are FL, FR, RL, RR wheel speeds)

I recently bought a TM TSS handbrake. In DR1, it works flawlessly. I am scared to touch my handbrake in DR2. Stopped using it as the second I do, the car over rotates. So much for progressive handbrake. May as well go back to using the button on my wheel - same diff. Yet another glaring omission/oversight. So disappointed in this game so far it’s sad. I had very high hopes in light of the first game. 

• Like 1

Yeah @Buckwilder , it's really problematic for me as well and I get so distracted from it I lose my rhythm all the time.  Costs a lot of stage time.  (just because I was , like you, used to the nice analog HB in DR1)

• Like 1

hi there,

i connect my Fanatec via USB Adapter and IMHO it feels like ON/OFF switch. Thats not really a feeling of an Handbrake  more like a Pushbutton on my Wheel.

And that realy frustrate me. I'm not a Pro Driver but it su**s hard. Can't believe that CM support this Hardware in that way . It's unusable now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1