Dirt Rally 2.0 tyre types and wear

It seems tires can have just two states -- new and used, and the latter doesn't differentiate between 'torn to shreds' and 'slightly worn' (at least ingame interface doesn't give any more information). Is this correct?
And can anyone please give me a hint about expect lifetime of varioust tire types? Feels like softs live for just one stage -- no matter if it's 4 klicks sprint or full-fledged 12 km Argentinian hell.

You should also notice a line on the tyre graph, showing the current wear of the tyre.

7 hours ago, fifomaniak said:

I've got the tires to "worn" state, so there is more than the two you mentioned.

Yeah, sorry, it's 'new' and 'worn', not 'used'. Still the binary state though.

UPD Sorry, @fifomaniak, I was wrong. The states I got were exactly 'new' and 'used'. Can you confirm you got 'worn' state? If so, which compound that was and how long did it take?

7 hours ago, Riggs said:

You should also notice a line on the tyre graph, showing the current wear of the tyre.

I also noticed that the red line is always precisely at the same position on used tires, no matter what compound and how long they've been used.

Edited by BloodCat

On 2/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, BloodCat said:

Yeah, sorry, it's 'new' and 'worn', not 'used'. Still the binary state though. 

UPD Sorry, @fifomaniak, I was wrong. The states I got were exactly 'new' and 'used'. Can you confirm you got 'worn' state? If so, which compound that was and how long did it take?

I also noticed that the red line is always precisely at the same position on used tires, no matter what compound and how long they've been used.

It was on soft tires when I've forgotten to change them on previous service, they were really not gripping anymore, and the picture was showing red line even lower and little to no tread on the tire.

• Thanks 1

I have also not really determined how to gauge tyre wear.  I swap them each service to a new pair though can't seem to figure out how quickly the tyres are even wearing.  It recommends medium for everything, unless it's tarmac and wet then it recommends wet.  Though I've been using softs a lot and can't seen to figure out if I'm even wearing through them, haven't really noticed any difference between the start or end of a stage in regards to how they feel.  Their wear icon has two lines, the red line and a faint white dashed line near the top.  I see the white dashed line change slightly by going lower but I don't know if that's what is determining the life of the tyre or not.  Does the white line reaching down to the red line mean the tyre is shot?  I don't know, I haven't gotten it to go down that low, I just change to a new pair every chance I get.

Perhaps I should create a freeplay championship of lots of tracks and not change tyres ever just to see what happens.  Wish the game would explain it in some manner.

Same as @lilfurbal, I'm always using the soft (unless it's raining). I don't feel any loss of grip by the end of the 2nd stage anyway... So I don't see how other tires can be useful (in career at least).