Sign in to follow this  

Dirt rally 2.0. Again no difficulty setting?

Dirt rally had no difficulty setting and i've lost the interest because rallies were impossible. Why make the same mistake again and not give people to choose how they want to play? Why force only one option to everyone? So this again will be impossible to progress through career and people will just lose interest? Why is it so hard to give people a choice.

• Agree 1

You can set the difficulty in free play mode. So I'm okay with career having unique settings.

But the gap between difficulty levels is clearly too high. In open difficulty I was always leading with at least a 10 seconds gap. In clubman (2nd level) I've never done better than 15th...

The difficulty jump on Clubman seems way too high - not sure I could ever get past that. On Dirt1 I got to Masters (but never won it). On the DR2.0 Daily online stuff I usually get middle of the pack (top of group 2) so my capabilities must be reasonable representation of 'average'?

Edit 10 April - actually did make it to Pro, back to finishing late 20s again...forced myself back to Clubman which is more my level and will try to beat with a different class

Edited by mimimomo
  • Like 1

Yes I too have noticed the difficulty spike in career. In Dirt Rally 1 I got to Elite. I’m struggling to get out of Open on Dirt Rally 2.

They can’t put adjustable difficulty in career because it’s structured to increase in difficulty as you rise. This may mean some never get out of Clubman or even Open but this time around they are including long tracks in lower difficulty and all day/weather conditions, so the only thing you miss out on is longer events.

They want Masters to truly be masters..... rather than a title given to everyone due to adjustable difficulty......

..... and I’m good with that 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have no idea how your average Joe is supposed to get on with the career in this game. Ive been sim racing for a long time now and im really struggling with how quick the AI is and im only on the 2nd tier clubman is it? Although the far back cockpit views doesnt help matters when use to dashcams in other titles thats really slowing me down.

Honestly i could see ya average Joes putting this down quickly and never coming back to the series.

Edited by FLAW3D

at least for me, in some ways the Historic Championships are the real career mode.

it's offline

the cars you can use in each championship are restricted, which forces you to try different vehicles.

there's a better progression of day/night cycles from stage to stage.

there are more times of day than anywhere else in the game

I'd just like new championships added for the DLC cars, and more rewards for completing stuff

• Agree 3

What class are you using for Clubman? If it's a FWD class, you're better off retiring now and switching to anything else. FWD AI is bugged to use 100% AI on any My Team events regardless of what tier you are.

Outside of the FWD classes though, the AI is difficult but a good challenge - IMO. I think they would be able to mess with the lower tiers of Open - Pro to make the skill curve not such a skill... wall? 

• Agree 2

Got pretty easy championship victory with Mini (FWD H1) at Pro-level.
Now at Elite I´m struggling with 2000cc to stay top 3, that´s really challenging but not impossible.

btw, it would be nice to have more than 6 events also at career championship, at custom you can get up to 12 events.

• Agree 1

yeah the FWD AI time problem only seems to affect H2 FWD and R2 classes, probably because H1 FWD are the starter cars so they made sure that would be a bit easier

Yeh Elite is making a fool of me. 

Im finishing top tier top 300 in daily challenges but getting my butt handed to me in career Elite level. Dont even know how I got out of Pro (I was in NR4) but in Elite I'm down anywherr between 20 to 40sec a stage.

If you find a car class (apart from the bugged H2 FWD of course) that fits you and you stick to it, things will get better. I was also shocked by the spike in difficulty from pro to elite, when suddenly I found myself struggling to finish in the top 20... But I changed from Skoda R5 to Group A Lancer and now I often find myself in the top 10. Even had my first stage win today. 🙂

Also, experiment with setups, they make a big difference.

I actually began to enjoy the cruel difficulty. Now Pro really feels like you're racing pros, and Elite just speaks for itself.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, ianism said:

at least for me, in some ways the Historic Championships are the real career mode.

Yep, same for me as well. I'd be very dissatisfied if it wasn't for Freeplay but, as you say, that ticks pretty much all the boxes for me. All the cars, no stupid upgrades and Championship options for every class. 

I have dabbled with the career and got as far as the Masters in the rallycross. I didn't have too many problems until I got to Masters, but the leap from Elite to Masters is brutal. I have managed to get a couple of wins on some of the historic circuits, but the times the AI is registering on some of the new tracks are ridiculous!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danielofifi said:

If you find a car class (apart from the bugged H2 FWD of course) that fits you and you stick to it, things will get better. I was also shocked by the spike in difficulty from pro to elite, when suddenly I found myself struggling to finish in the top 20... But I changed from Skoda R5 to Group A Lancer and now I often find myself in the top 10. Even had my first stage win today. 🙂

Also, experiment with setups, they make a big difference.

I actually began to enjoy the cruel difficulty. Now Pro really feels like you're racing pros, and Elite just speaks for itself.

Im in the Skoda R5 right now. At times im 25 seconds behind the leader then the next stage im 25 seconds in front. It seems Codies are struggling to find the right balance right now with AI times car dependant.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Im in the Skoda R5 right now. At times im 25 seconds behind the leader then the next stage im 25 seconds in front. It seems Codies are struggling to find the right balance right now with AI times car dependant.

Very strange, on pro or elite? Never had such problems with AI consistency in R5 group and I spent most time with it in the career.

Okay, maybe apart from Spain. 🙂

Edited by danielofifi

I wonder if CM included an option to select the difficulty at the start of a Championship it might help people's enjoyment? 

So if you are unable to hit the top at the current level (and thus are unable to progress to the next difficulty), you can select a difficulty from those you have already beaten and then play that? 

8 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I wonder if CM included an option to select the difficulty at the start of a Championship it might help people's enjoyment? 

So if you are unable to hit the top at the current level (and thus are unable to progress to the next difficulty), you can select a difficulty from those you have already beaten and then play that? 

That works at Free Play, you can change difficulty even after every event.
I done that when completed RX Championship. Tuned level where it´s hard to get TOP5.
Same works with Historic Championship.

At career mode there should also be AI level option for pad or wheel palyers, I bet that not so many will complete Elite level with gamepad.

3 minutes ago, SimFunny said:

I done that when completed RX Championship. Tuned level where it´s hard to get TOP5.

At career mode there should also be AI level option for pad or wheel palyers, I bet that not so many will complete Elite level with gamepad.

Yeah, I was thinking that the selection in career would only be for the difficulties you have beaten thus far which would differentiate it from free play where you can select any difficulty as soon you start playing. 

I have beaten elite on rallycross with a pad, but I don't think I am going to be able to do the same in rally! 

14 hours ago, SimFunny said:

did exactly the same in historic. 

as for me, I play on KB so I probably won't ever get past pro in the rally career 😕

i like the challenge but do wish it was a little bit easier, especially given that H2 FWD is one of my favourite classes

Posted (edited)

Hi guys. As a experienced driver in race games I have some important observations. First of all I would like to mention that I paly without any assists, only driver eye cam and G29 900 deg steering wheel with cloutch + H-shifter.

Dirt rally 1: in this game in my opinion the difficulty level was quite nice ballanced, on lancia fulvia after 4-5 championships I reached the highest difficulty class (12 stages per champoinship) then I went to drive other cars and I was able to be 1-7th possition on stages and always 1-4 in general clasification of the championship on this the highest difficulty level. I was not driving on 100% in career mode, first of all was to survive the stage and not to smash the car. By driving smooth and fast (80% of my max performance) I was able to have fair fight with AI and I dod not had to restart so many times stages due to crashes

Dirt Rally 2: I was reading somewhere that the career difficulty level is calculated on H1 class championships and If you will reach "ellite", you can not go back (do not know if it is true or not).
Anyway, by driving smooth & fast as in DR1, I had 30 sec gap per stage between me and 2nd AI car in this H1 class championship, it was easy as **** and I started to wondering what the hell is wrong with me or with this game. Ok I won H1 and went to H2. In H2 the AI were much faster than in H1 but I was able to be near 1st place.
H3 Renault 5 turbo: Here the best place what I reached was ~12th and ~25 in general clasification. HELL HELL and HELL, it was not posible to win the race playing on complicated steering wheel with clouth H-shifter and only driver eye cam without assists. I think I could be better on analog game pad with external cams but not in this hard core setup.
Ok I dropped H3 class due to outstanding AI times and bought R2 car, witch is much easier to drive and I was driving it very stabil, I can say that this car fit for me but even with this car and my driving skills I am near ~ 25th pos in general clasification!!!

Conclusion:
I think that in DR2 I could have better times on arcade setup with some assists, external cams and on analog game pad but in my opinion driving with external cams is not the point for such a "sim" games. Players who drive on complicated setup (900 deg steering wheel, clouth, H-shifter) shoud have completly other difficulty setup and other time table on multipalyer to sort palyer and theirs times made on easy setup from players who drive on hardcore.

Other thing is the AI times and RALLY driving policy, as many people know, the point of driving rally is driving fast but not on the all cost, of course we can hold throttle on 100% almost all the time and take the highest risk of crash, but in such a driving style we will smash the car much more often. Of course we will reach incredible times when we will not crash due to luck but the luck will not be with us all the time, that is why driving the rally is specyfic - DRIVE FAST & SAVE.
The AI level in career mode after finishing H1 with 30 sec gap, is incredible on higher class championships like H2, H3 and R2 (only those I tested). Driving policy drive fast and save will bring you to ~25 pos in general clasification finaly you will decide to drive on 100% like devil, ok you will have nice time but after 3km you will finish in the bushes somewhere on field on forest 🙂 sometimes not.
Ok, you will beat the AI when you will learn the track/stage on freepaly mode but again learing the stage before the race is not the point of rally racing, for what do we have co-driver if we know the stage and every turn? The point is to not know the track, listen the co-driver and find the max save tempo to survive and get good time.
That is why in my opinion the career mode difficulty is broken especialy for players who plays with driver eye cam and complicated setup of steering wheel.

Edited by MrFoxik