How do engine upgrades work?

Do they actually do anything to the performance? The BHP doesn't go up, and when I tested it in Lancia Fulvia in Test Drive mode on dry tarmac, the results were pretty much identical, I tried achieving highest speed after 1st corner, both in upgrade 1 and 4 it did 131 km/h. Did not really try other cars this way, but I've upgraded M3 E30 and Abarth 131 and haven't really noticed any difference, when in DiRT Rally 1 I definitely felt the power gain once I upgraded the cars.

I upgraded my Stratos yesterday from stock to engine 5, and god... it felt like RWD Group B car. 0-100 takes a blink, car feels a lot more dangerous and on the limit. Complete different feeling.

I’ve been upgrading my engines lately by skipping levels.  I’d like to know if you’re really getting the full upgrade by doing this, or should you step up to each level.  So I decided to go back and apply the mid level upgrades to see if that makes a difference. 

What I did notice however is even after applying level IV, the game lets me continue to perform the lower upgrades again for 2,000-4,000 credits.  Like the game allows me to keep throwing credits at the engine over and over but I’m pretty sure nothing is changing the performance by dong this.  It must be a bug of some sort, because why would you be able to keep upgrading lower levels when level IV is purchased?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cjr3559 said:

why would you be able to keep upgrading lower levels when level IV is purchased?

maybe for a Rally with a lot of stages, to be sure not to break the engine...

Edited by Spacepadrille

6 hours ago, cjr3559 said:

I’ve been upgrading my engines lately by skipping levels.  I’d like to know if you’re really getting the full upgrade by doing this, or should you step up to each level.  So I decided to go back and apply the mid level upgrades to see if that makes a difference. 

What I did notice however is even after applying level IV, the game lets me continue to perform the lower upgrades again for 2,000-4,000 credits.  Like the game allows me to keep throwing credits at the engine over and over but I’m pretty sure nothing is changing the performance by dong this.  It must be a bug of some sort, because why would you be able to keep upgrading lower levels when level IV is purchased?

Basically I think this is the cost for remapping the engine each time. The guy who does it needs to feed his children too yaknow! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cjr3559 said:

This is intentional AFAIK. I mostly upgrade to tier 2 or 3, so i dont need to pay 10,000 credits for the turbo every second service. but if i would run a WR put in on 6 and after put it back to tier 3.

Edited by paint21

It makes a significant difference, I've been watching acceleration deltas on a little telemetry and dash app that i made and between a stage 2 and 5 R2 FWD there is a huge difference in acceleration.  At times you can be going 5-10km/h faster purely on accel.

To me this is more an issue with not knowing the impact an engine upgrade will have on the performance of the car.
Currently the information given to the user is the MAX power for the car...and I assume that will mean the most upgraded engine mapping.

Suggestion for improvement:
Display the current power rating of the engine, as well as the impact any upgrade/downgrade will have on the power rating.

• Agree 4

Bit of a thread bump, but I have raised this in the suggestions section... 

...so hopefully a tweak may come in future!

• Like 1

Yep, some nice torque curve chart would be amazing, also with gears/speed interpolation into it. Gearbox tweaking would become yummy.

@ZbP I would agree with you, but the Power curve is faster for users/drivers than Torque curve.  Definitely we do need the power curves or equations to pick proper shift points.