Analog Handbrake (much more progressive that is)

It seems that the analog HB feature from DR1 was removed for DR2.0 for some reason, it is now binary/digital on/off.  Maybe Jon doesn't use his handbrake this way but especially on FWD rally cars you would use the HB in an analog manner to vary the rear under rotation to induce oversteer or just a bit of turn in.  This is especially true on very low traction surfaces like snow.

Please bring it back.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Please see this vid for some further explanation.

Edited by bn880

but you can set it to an analog axis though, you mean even if set as analog it doesn't work properly in a range but more like a button?

10 minutes ago, LeonardoRatafia said:

but you can set it to an analog axis though, you mean even if set as analog it doesn't work properly in a range but more like a button?

Yes that's exactly the problem.

maybe it's just a bug. I can't believe if they hired a pro racing driver he doesn't feel that difference on the gear they use, fanatec, thrustmaster

• Like 1

Could be a bug yes.  I hope it's just a bug.  I'm not sure if they got Jon an analog handbrake to test with 🙂  I often saw him testing on a very unstable setup with a wheel attached to a desk.  Perhaps he didn't get a chance to notice?

This 'feature' should absolutely be brought back, allows for greater flexibility and control for those hairpins.  I've been having some issues with it jumping from 0% to 100% handbrake power which just doesn't work as well.

• Agree 1

If this isn't a bug, it must have been a manager somewhere saying: "what features can we remove?"    

And guess what, almost no features can be removed without upsetting existing customers!  But sometimes people in management roles don't get that.  😄 😄  (yes I'm slightly outspoken)

If you check under "input reporting" in the input menu somewhere, it shows the Axis for the handbrake under the heading "button" when you pull it, there ought to be a slider here really, so you can see it working. It's like they just forgot!

Yes, and so apparently there is a very tiny area of movement that gives a bit of analog action:

There is an analog range but it's concentrated at the first 5% of the movement of the HB.  Definitely a problem.   For example I have 1cm of play on the Fanatec HB to get any kind of analog action, out of 12cm.  So just as you barely put any force on the lever, you already get a lock.  Therefore essentially the request remains to fix it.

• Like 1

Here is a detailed test I did for the HB using Fanatec, 

as you can see, it locks way too quick.  (the white numbers are FL, FR, RL, RR wheel speeds)

• Like 1

By the way, this really is more of a bug IMO, as anyone who has their handbrake put out even 1% on during a stage wil lose about 20-30s a stage, AND will not be able to launch at all.  Happened to me, wasted half an hour solving it.

• Like 2

Good news - PJ has confirmed that the analog HB is happening!

It seems after 1.9 update, the handbrake is still not analog. There is only two options for handbrake deadzone and saturation.

Edit: just tried Dirt 4, pulling the handbrake a bit won't lock up the rear wheel. While in DR2.0, even pulling the handbrake for a few mm locks the rear wheel.

Edited by JKangSC

It is slightly more analog with the saturation setting at 100%, but Codies are still working on it, hopefully for 1.10 we will see it improved.