The DiRT Rally 2.0 Appreciation Thread (Only positivity allowed...and biscuits)

Hey all!

So DR2.0 has had a rocky start with the Racenet issues and FFB complaints, both valid in their own right and there are multiple posts and threads on both this forum and Reddit which cover these negative aspects. CM are well aware and we don't need more threads about it.

That aside, lets talk about the things that DR2.0 does damn well.

The rest of the game itself is great and the best rally game we have ever gotten. The vehicle handling is the best there has been in any rally game, the physics have really been nailed (although tarmac could do with a little more work) and the stages and RX tracks look great. Rally stage lengths are now also longer and more detailed than ever before and the stage degradation is really cool.

This thread is purely for some appreciation of the good work that's gone into this game and when the issues are fixed, I hope everyone who refunded jumps back in and we can all get some multiplayer lobbies going and be friends!

(Any comments about the FFB or Racenet will be personally downvoted so be warned!)

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

I agree with everything you just said. I was only able to get about 1000 hours out of the first game cos I hurt my back but hopefully I'll be able to actually play this one for a long time. 

• Agree 1

(Approaching this is like a support group ala AAA):

Hi, my name is bn880.  The first things that I noticed which are welcome improvements (more will come later )

1. It is possible to assign more menu options and more menu options are auto assigned to various wheels/controllers.  This is really good to avoid having to use the mouse on something like a Fanatec setup for example.  (and the menus are just easier to navigate with a controller of your choice)

2. Stopping by the marshal at the end of a stage is very welcome, makes you accountable for what happens after the timing beacon.

3. Hardcore damage (where available) is a step up in realism.

4. The game seems reasonably well optimized, it's not much more demanding than DR1 even though the fidelity is increased.

5. UDP output is still present (yay)

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with everything, as I've posted before as well, but I'm still gutted by the fact that they decided not to include Subaru Impreza 22b at launch. A deep wound to heal there. I haven't refunded though.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Cortextual said:

I agree with everything you just said. I was only able to get about 1000 hours out of the first game cos I hurt my back but hopefully I'll be able to actually play this one for a long time. 

ONLY 1000 hours?! I had around 200-250 and I thought that was a lot!

2 minutes ago, bn880 said:

Hi, my name is bn880.  The first things that I noticed which are welcome improvements (more will come later )

1. It is possible to assign more menu options and more menu options are auto assigned to various wheels/controllers.  This is really good to avoid having to use the mouse on something like a Fanatec setup for example.  (and the menus are just easier to navigate with a controller of your choice)

2. Stopping by the marshal at the end of a stage is very welcome, makes you accountable for what happens after the timing beacon.

3. Hardcore damage (where available) is a step up in realism.

4. The game seems reasonably well optimized, it's not much more demanding than DR1 even though the fidelity is increased.

5. UDP output is still present (yay)

Haha I like it being a support group.

Many a time I could just roll my car over the line in DR1 (whether I intented to or not) and have no consequences, you really have to make sure you aren't going to stack it now!

I find it is decently optimised. For some reason I get some drops in Argentina but the rest of the game seems fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

ONLY 1000 hours?! I had around 200-250 and I thought that was a lot!

Yea it was a lot and I know it too lol, but also it's entirely true that I would probably have played twice that if I could 😛

8 minutes ago, bn880 said:

I think AAA is the breakdown service, idk if they have support groups, though your car breaking down can be pretty traumatic.

• Haha 2

Overall, the feel of the game is good. The menu layout is intuitive and easy to manuever around. It is a nice mix of the dirt rally menu and the dirt 4. The cars feel good driving along. Takes some getting used to, but I can get a nice flow going in the cars, in NZ and Australia and the New England courses. The tracks make more sense than they did in dirt 4, and they feel good. I’ve had issues with sliding off the stage in NZ at one of the hairpins and it is MY fault. It’s not a missed co-driver call. It’s not wonky physics. It’s me not braking enough and the cars weight carrying it off the edge (and down a ravine which takes a minute getting out). The cars feel great. The tracks feel really great and alive. There’s work to do and room for improvement in many respects, but I think there’s enough to keep me going for a while and I am looking forward to future additions and ongoing support from CM. 

• Agree 2

When it's good, it's frickin' brilliant. Last night I did the longer of the two NZ stages in the 240Z and my god it was just amazing fun. Beautiful graphics, stunning sound, gravel handling was spot on allowing me to rotate the car through turns with the throttle... it's the best rallying I've ever done. This is why I'm so vocal about the stuff that's not so perfect - with those things fixed, this would be the undisputed king of rally.

• Agree 3

To be honest it already is the king lol, even DR acquired such status. Because if you consider every aspect, these 2 rally games beat the so proclaimed RBR, and the competitor WRC. RBR could have, for many, the best physics, but then it loses hard on graphics and sound and many other things.

Long live the king (at least for another 2 years of support).

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

Hey all!

So DR2.0 has had a rocky start with the Racenet issues and FFB complaints, both valid in their own right and there are multiple posts and threads on both this forum and Reddit which cover these negative aspects. CM are well aware and we don't need more threads about it.

That aside, lets talk about the things that DR2.0 does damn well.

The rest of the game itself is great and the best rally game we have ever gotten. The vehicle handling is the best there has been in any rally game, the physics have really been nailed (although tarmac could do with a little more work) and the stages and RX tracks look great. Rally stage lengths are now also longer and more detailed than ever before and the stage degradation is really cool.

This thread is purely for some appreciation of the good work that's gone into this game and when the issues are fixed, I hope everyone who refunded jumps back in and we can all get some multiplayer lobbies going and be friends!

(Any comments about the FFB or Racenet will be personally downvoted so be warned!)

I was just about to start a topic focusing on everything positive about the game and noticed yours 👍 I was at first pre-occupied with the whole online career scenario, But past that, due credit to Codies this game is fantastic! Great physics, great presentation and awesome attention to detail. I love that it feels more like DR but also keeps some of the smaller introductions from D4 like virtual wheel rotation and service parks. I mostly play freeplay and with a pad so I love the introduction of the new F1 style difficulty slider. The bespoke stages feel and look amazing and the cars are more satisfying to drive than ever before. I especially love the Polo R5 as the Polo WRC was my favourite in DR but again like the first game every car feels unique and fun to drive in their own way. A more than worthy successor to DR. 👏

• Agree 1

There's the foundation there for a very good game. If they can add in some decent FFB that makes it feel like you're actually driving on a road and turn off whatever Vaseline filter they're using on the console I see no reason why it won't be better than the first. The handling is great. The new locations seem pretty cool as well.