Sign in to follow this  

Win ratio in Grid Starts

After the recent minor update, Grid Start behaviour was changed slightly for the better. Although optimistic at first, I now find that my win ratio in this mode is only marginally better than before. I estimate I can win maybe 1 in 10 races. Starting from P6 inevitably sees me surrounded by bots who all make contact with me resulting in multiple engine slowing penalties, thus undoing any good that came from being faster off the line. I then find myself again at the back of the pack without the necessary speed to catch the other cars.

• Agree 2

I agree that the grid starts are "better" bit there's still improvement needed. I don't get why this game mode behaves so differently from the other two. The AI behavior is still a complete mess but at least you're no longer dropping back to last place immediately.

Chris said a fix to the penalties is coming in the next release which is in March. I don't understand how a minor update can break something yet it takes a major development release to undo what they did. Can they not just roll it back?

• Agree 1

Much better ratio for me. Was like maybe 5% when bots will take each other out. Then dropped to zero when bots stopped taking each other out. 

After last fix, it’s up to 20-30% depending mainly on whether I start at P6 and which track. 

• Agree 1

I used to hold out hope that crazy bots would take out my opponent, but now if I'm tenth and he's third, I quit out of the game. AI don't seem to destroy everything anymore. They're like well behaved wasps. Stay clear and they won't sting you.

• Agree 1

Agree with all.   I'm at 20-30% also.  Grid starts are better but the races most of the time are still a big, fat aggravation.

If more than a couple AI get betwen you and your opponent, it's over.

The past 3 races, I tried letting the other bots pass, count to ten, and then run the last two sectors full speed.  I used to earn points the last two sectors but now the lead AI is 2 sec faster a sector than I am with no traffic?  Strange given I win most qualifying and sprint races with my current setup.

May just be luck but I`m doing better in grid starts today ( close to 60/40).   if

Try to immediately (at launch) get in front,  then focus on blocking the AI opponent the entire race, keep him directly on your 6. 

Most successful if you are gridded ahead and have a perfect start. 

That’s the problem with the game at the moment. 

I think it was mentioned before by someone. We are playing to beat the opponent rather than trying to win the race. The issues just simply does not allow us to do that. 

• Agree 1

Nothing works at Monza whether grid or sprint. It's a pileup at the first chicane. It can take ten seconds to get out of it with bots stationary all around you. Yet somehow your opponent avoids the carnage and speeds off. There's nothing to do but quit and accept the loss, without even having the chance to take part in the race.

I hardly lose at Monza. You just have to brake before it says so on the racing line guide. 

In previous versions, bots will cause a pileup. But current version not as bad with space to clear off if you brake early. 

27 minutes ago, elimmel said:

I hardly lose at Monza. You just have to brake before it says so on the racing line guide. 

In previous versions, bots will cause a pileup. But current version not as bad with space to clear off if you brake early. 

You must be playing a different game to me. I brake when I should but it's a bottleneck of cars stopped at the chicane. I can't go around them or I'm bogged in the grass. If your bots behave differently to mine then good luck to you.

Here's an example grid win that includes AI examples with:

• multiple AI induced collisions with no slow down,
  • dive bombing corners 4 wheels off,
  • favorable acceleration/speed
  • Sector 3 time warp on a record lap:
  1.      Opponent is @ 1:13 sector start and 0.53 at the finish line, which is only 20 seconds faster.
  2.      Game show opponent 1:03 faster Sector 3...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H7X8NDRg4mQ98mgu8

Noticed a couple of things the first time while watching replay:

1. You can see the rear wing of other cars flip during braking - cool 😎
  2. The mirrors are set for parking the car, change the angle and they could become useful see a car next to you, at least on tablet devices.
Edited by StKnowhere

This sums up the grid start experience for me. Get a perfect start, hold P6 or P7 for a while, allow bots to overtake because God help you if you try to block them, slide back to 11th, then fall victim to the last placed driver, your actual opponent, and lose.

4A475FD8-0A1D-4BE5-9E7F-B6AF87FDFA79.png

So: 

Duel - Grid Start: AI is still often too fast and prone to causing collisions.

@StKnowhere that's a super useful video you've posted, so thank you - we can see in there that the clutch/launch system is working fine, but then the AI speed takes over. Can also see that cars are AI are often diving into the corners for overly dangerous passing attempts. 

Just spoken to the team about this and it's a logged topic to address; it's already been tracked and worked on for a little while. The objective for Update 4 is to definitely bring the AI behaviour and speed in Duel - Grid Start in line with other modes. Thank you all for the feedback 🙂 

3 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

So: 

Duel - Grid Start: AI is still often too fast and prone to causing collisions.

@StKnowhere that's a super useful video you've posted, so thank you - we can see in there that the clutch/launch system is working fine, but then the AI speed takes over. Can also see that cars are AI are often diving into the corners for overly dangerous passing attempts. 

Just spoken to the team about this and it's a logged topic to address; it's already been tracked and worked on for a little while. The objective for Update 4 is to definitely bring the AI behaviour and speed in Duel - Grid Start in line with other modes. Thank you all for the feedback 🙂 

Hey chris, can i know when the next update will come out?

I managed to win a high enough ratio of grid starts yesterday to pass 5,500 trophy points. Not easy, very challenging but possible with a high handling + aero setup. Bot's will clearly try to take you out, maybe because my SR was high (?) 

However at 5,500+ point, it looks like Sprint races enable the same super fast AI and more aggressive behavoir?  

I just started bailing out of grid and Monaco races to get my SR back in the green to see of that makes a difference.

10 minutes ago, StKnowhere said:

I managed to win a high enough ratio of grid starts yesterday to pass 5,500 trophy points. Not easy, very challenging but possible with a high handling + aero setup. Bot's will clearly try to take you out, maybe because my SR was high (?) 

However at 5,500+ point, it looks like Sprint races enable the same super fast AI and more aggressive behavoir?  

I just started bailing out of grid and Monaco races to get my SR back in the green to see of that makes a difference.

Aero is everything, so whats the point of raising other stats? Still unclear about this. Even some track with many turns you could got the best lap times with aero settings.

Does the power stats or accelaration is useless?

I hope they fix or make sure about this for next update

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Stepen said:

Aero is everything, so whats the point of raising other stats? Still unclear about this. Even some track with many turns you could got the best lap times with aero settings.

Does the power stats or accelaration is useless?

I hope they fix or make sure about this for next update

It takes a balance depending on the track and driving style.  I do better on most tracks in the game with high aero and handling. I try to especially increase corner exit speed from turns that lead into the longest straights.

More power is useful at launch and pulling out of low speed turns.  Would be more useful for example at Monaco with so many low speed turns and short straights.

In the game, it also depends also on the level and development of your parts. Upgrade handling and aero parts first.

This ratio is working well for me.

2812618F-CCD2-4EAD-87E1-2C34B5F1664C.jpeg

Practicing in single mode, trying different lines, braking points and setups will gain time faster than investing in parts.  Each track/car has it's own rhythm, when you have it right, it feels like skiing.

Vision is also important, you want to be looking far ahead down the track, not at the car in front.

Edited by StKnowhere

38 minutes ago, StKnowhere said:

It takes a balance depending on the track and driving style.  I do better on most tracks in the game with high aero and handling. I try to especially increase corner exit speed from turns that lead into the longest straighT

I was wondering about this while playing much of yesterday and it occurred to me that outside of events, you can't change your set up before a race because you don't have the chance to pause, pre-race. So whatever setup you have, you're stuck with it as a random race and random race mode is handed to you.

35 minutes ago, slayton said:

I was wondering about this while playing much of yesterday and it occurred to me that outside of events, you can't change your set up before a race because you don't have the chance to pause, pre-race. So whatever setup you have, you're stuck with it as a random race and random race mode is handed to you.

Being able to save an load setups would be a nice step in the console quality racing game direction.  

Maybe not allow until higher levels to not overcomplicate for new drivers. to the game.

32 minutes ago, StKnowhere said:

Being able to save an load setups would be a nice step in the console quality racing game direction.  

Maybe not allow until higher levels to not overcomplicate for new drivers. to the game.

I'd love to be able to change set-ups for Spa compared to Monaco. Actually, I'd like to never see Monaco again. Neither in real F1 or the game. It is too narrow and tight for today's cars. Great in the 1960's when F1 cars driven by the likes of Jack Brabham reached speeds of over 100mp/h! But not suited to 320km/h. And whoever starts on pole, wins, unless they break down or in the case of the game get hit from behind and fly 35,000 feet into the sky and then drop into the harbour.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Agree on Monaco (and I've even been there...).  I've driven longer autocross courses.

I don't know turn well but maybe swap for one of the F1 test tracks?

Edited by StKnowhere
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, StKnowhere said:

Agree on Monaco (and I've even been there...).  I've driven longer autocross courses.

My driveway into the garage is longer.

Having just started my morning full of caffeine, I thought, "I'm pumped and ready to race".....well, that feeling didn't last long. Apart from DNF grid starts, I'd like to add Sprint races at Street circuits are also a nightmare. It's hard to even finish Singapore without being pushed into a concrete wall. Have Codemasters ever watched a F1 race? Cars are not three abreast the whole race. Almost as soon as they get past the first corner they settle into single file and an overtaking manoeuvre, should it occur, does not allow the car being overtaken to turn into you causing you to crash. And this is the official F1 game. Why is it not representative of how a race works?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1