Sign in to follow this  

Recreation of Real-Life Series in GRID Autosport

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for the game's seemingly endless customisation options in Custom Cup mode.

I didn't like Career mode to be honest, because of the many unrealistic elements, such as strange (although challenging) track configurations, random series names, the fun-but-to-me-disrupting occasional cup events, etc.

However, as much as I've been bored with the characterless grinding in Career mode, I was at least equally amazed by just how many things I can shape in Custom Cup mode. If I want, I can simply research the sporting regulations of any 'included' real-life series (Mini Challenge, old and new BTCC, DTM, V8 Supercars, F3, GT3, etc.) on the web, then set the tracks, configurations, practice, quali and race lengths, the number of races in an event, the grid orders, almost everything roughly as they are in real-life and race my own game practically.

If I'd have to point out one of the biggest appeal factor of the game for me, then this would be one of two (I think I'll elaborate on the other one later some day).

I sense I'm very likely in an absolute minority with this among the players, but that's the way it is. So for this, the above, I thank you, Codies.

I enjoy Career mode, but really its the achievements that drive me on that side of the game. But if you want to have fun run in a league against a set group of guys just like a Real-Life Series.  I only wish they would give more support to Leagues with more Custom Cup options Online. 

I'm definitely in agreement with the original poster. The arrangement of some of the career Championships is a bit scattershot, but with so many car classes included reflecting real-life series it doesn't take much effort to recreate your fave Championships using the Custom Cup!

(Incidentally has anyone compiled a list of all the included car classes and their real-life equivalents?). 

tbtstt said:
Incidentally has anyone compiled a list of all the included car classes and their real-life equivalents?. 
I did. :smile:  I'll post the list here later.

Open Wheel

"Formula C" - F3
"Formula B" - Auto GP, A1GP (defunct)
"Formula A" - IndyCar

The other cars in this discipline are road-legal cars (lightweight sports cars), so I didn't list them.

Endurance

"Endurance GT Group 2" - GT3 (GT4 for the Aston)
"Endurance GT Group 1" - GT500
"Endurance GT Ultimate" - LMP2
"Shelby Cup" - Group 3 (defunct)
"Ford GT40 Cup" - Group 4 (defunct)
"Mazda 787B Cup" - Group C (defunct... but badass :D)

Touring

"Cat C Touring Cars" - S2000/NGTC
"Cat B Touring Cars" - DTM (lookalikes)
"Super Utes" - V8 Ute
"Cat A Touring Cars" - SCB
"Super Tourers" - V8 Supercar
"Classic Touring Car Cup" - Group A (defunct)
"Touring Legends" - Super Touring (defunct)
"Classic Mini Cup" - Miglia
"Mini Cup" - JCW

Tuner

"Super Modified" - Open/Pro Class
"C1 Drift" - Formula D/D1GP

The other tuner classes are either fictional, fictionally tuned (e. g. Modified), include road-going cars with factory shop tuning (e. g. JDM), or simply include the most powerful variants of road-going cars (e. g. Muscle).

A note of interest is that the Hot Hatch class in the Street discipline includes cars (bar the Giulietta) that are used in the Bridgestone Production Cars championship, which is a South African cup with production cars running on permanent circuits.

Atticvs said:
Touring
Everything in your list is about right except for this. The Cat-B Tourers are NOT DTM cars, they are V8 Superstars (or Euro V8 Series).
Have a look at this Audi: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/37_kNMlApiA/maxresdefault.jpg

Atticvs said:
Touring
Everything in your list is about right except for this. The Cat-B Tourers are NOT DTM cars, they are V8 Superstars (or Euro V8 Series).
Have a look at this Audi: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/37_kNMlApiA/maxresdefault.jpg
Indeed. I cross-checked a couple of other pictures and videos and you are absolutely right. Thanks and apologies.

Edit: Or rather - after digging even deeper - they are rather their pre-2014 incarnation, Superstar cars from the Superstars Series. The cup used to visit Donington Park and Algarve out of the GAS tracks and it visited the Hockenheimring in 2014 as well.

Cheers @Atticvs‌! I was going to say I disagree with regards to the DTM cars, but @scarl3td3vil‌ beat be to it! Great job though!