DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

(SOLVED!) [Bug] Dirt Rally 2.0 crashes all the time in 1920x1080, but it might work in 1366x768

Game is unplayable for me. I have no problems with other games, including Dirt Rally 1. Almost all times the game just closes and drops me back to the desktop without any messages after it finishes loading the track. I managed to get past it once with Windowed mode and then switched back to Fullscreen from the "garage" section before the race. After that it worked a couple of times, but now it does't work again. I tried Windowed borderless and Windowed modes and I got the camera flying above the track for 2 or 3 seconds and then dirtrally2.exe stopped working. Memory usage is very low, it was 2GB for the game and I had 4 GB of free memory. Very annoying, cant play the game. I have a fully updated Windows 10 version 1809 and the latest 19.2.3 AMD drivers with a Gigabyte RX460 4GB VGA. I'm on the Medium Graphics settings preset and have 8GB of DDR4 RAM with an Intel G4560 processor. A couple of times I got the Dirt Rally 2.0 bug report window after this and sent the crash report. Hoping for a fix soon 🙂

Edited by Lollerke

Update: if I use 1600x900 resolution it works a few times or closes the game a little bit later, but if I try to put it back to 1920x1080 60Hz during the stage the game instantly closes. VGA memory consumption reported by GPU-Z is just 2GB out of 4GB.

Update 2: if I use 1366x768 resolution I can play for minimum 2-3 stages but the game still closes sometimes. Last time I did 6-7 stages without any problem with this resolution in Fullscreen, so its 80-90% of the time good now.

Edited by Lollerke

So I'm at a long Spain stage in a Historic Rally and the game freezes even in 1366x768. I had to start the race 3 times not long ago so it didn't crash at the beginning of the stage and at the 4th try I did the stage and after that when I hit Continue it crashed again. I did the stage 2 times now, because of the crash it doesn't count in the game and I have to do it once more and hope it doesn't crash. I've been playing PC games for 20 years and I have never seen a game this unstable.

Edited by Lollerke

Mine won’t run above 1366x768 either!

Nvidia optimised settings suggest 1920x1080 but I get sound only & black screen.

My in-car animation doesn’t work either.  No people in the seats and a stationary steering wheel

Edited by KevM

Still have this problem with patch 1.2. Right now I want to start a stage in the USA and the game crashed to the desktop 3 times. I cannot play the game for 10 minutes now, because I have to get in the game again and again and again and hope it doesn't crash. It's very tiring.

Edited by Lollerke

So it crashed 4 times in a row now and I managed to get into the Task Manager and it says low memory, but its strange that the memory usage is only 40%. Somehow there's a memory leak or memory allocation problem in the game.

Edited by Lollerke

So 6 crashes in a row, it looks like I cannot play this stage in the Career. I'm just wasting my time, fix it ASAP and tell me when its done. I paid for this thing. Or if you cannot fix this, then tell me and pay my money back.

Edited by Lollerke

Is there any logging command in the game that produces a log file and I can upload it to fix this? I can do it in 5 mins, so it's not a lot of time.

3 more crashes today in 1366x768 and once it crashed at the start line, so its 100% that I cannot finish my Career event, because there was no other track where I got 9 crashes in a row. It's a USA stage with night and rain, so lots off effects are on screen. It's laughable, that I played FREE games for 3 years with no issue (didn't pay a dollar for in-game buyable things), then I pay a lot of money for a game and I can't play with it 1 MONTH AFTER THE RELEASE.

Edited by Lollerke

I managed to get into the race in 1280x720, but when I finished the race the game crashed. As I start the game again, it says the local and the server game states do not match and the game resets my whole carrier..... When is the crash fix coming? I want to play this game normally and I bought it 1 month ago. Every other bugfix is not important when the game has this kind of serious issue. Other players can play the game, so their problem are small compared to mine.

Edited by Lollerke

Having the same issue Lollerke.... Game just exits to desktop with no messages - happends when pauzed, entering, exiting a race, in the replays... Thing is I have a BEAST setup E 1800,- RTX something.. i7.. Just played METRO exodus everything max settings 100 plus FPS and many more games no issues... Just got Dirt 2.0 couple days ago and having issues... played 200 plus hours Dirt 1.0.. IDK what is wrong here

Gonna try this 1366x768 see how it goes

Edited by Deblitser

14 hours ago, Deblitser said:

Having the same issue Lollerke.... Game just exits to desktop with no messages - happends when pauzed, entering, exiting a race, in the replays... Thing is I have a BEAST setup E 1800,- RTX something.. i7.. Just played METRO exodus everything max settings 100 plus FPS and many more games no issues... Just got Dirt 2.0 couple days ago and having issues... played 200 plus hours Dirt 1.0.. IDK what is wrong here

Gonna try this 1366x768 see how it goes

Thanks for writing here. Hope that it urges them to fix it sooner.

Edited by Lollerke

Today I did 1 daily challenge on Argentina, but the other daily challenge which is in Poland crashed 3 times already again. I can't play it... @ChristinaMc Whats the status of this bug? A little info would be cool, because it has been reported 1 month ago.

Edited by Lollerke

Actually crashes are more frequent after patch 1.2, I get crashes more than half the times when starting or ending the race. I fear every time I start a race or end a race, that the game will crash. I sent you about 20 error reports now about this and for some reason, even the bug report window doesn't show up, so I cannot send it to you. The game is unplayable in this state in every resolution.

Edited by Lollerke

This is what my screen looks like after the crash. What you cannot see that in the black part of the image I get every opened application window stuck, so I have to log out to fix this, because the game trashes my video cards memory.

after_crash.jpg

Edited by Lollerke

32 giga RAM 1080ti 8700k and the game still crash at 2k after every stage in career.Any news from dev team?

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM. Even though I have 5,5 GB of free memory of my 8GB and Dirt Rally 2.0 uses 2GB when the race starts (so I have 3,5 GB free still) the game needs a large page file for some reason!!! I set my page file from 1GB to be "managed by my system" and it created a 2GB page file.

Codemasters maybe take a look at this. Why the game needs a large page file when you have plenty of free memory.

Edited by Lollerke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Martiou said:

how can we do that boy?

If you don't know that I don't think that is your problem, because the default setting is good. I set this manually after installing Windows. But take a look, hope it helps:

1. Right-click on the This PC icon on the desktop and select Properties. Go to Advanced system settings on the upper left side of the window.

2. Performance settings -> Advanced tab. Click on Change button and check Automatically manage paging file size for all drives. Click OK.

3. You must restart your PC after this! 

Edited by Lollerke
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:57 PM, Lollerke said:

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM. Even though I have 5,5 GB of free memory of my 8GB and Dirt Rally 2.0 uses 2GB when the race starts (so I have 3,5 GB free still) the game needs a large page file for some reason!!! I set my page file from 1GB to be "managed by my system" and it created a 2GB page file.

Codemasters maybe take a look at this. Why the game needs a large page file when you have plenty of free memory.

Lollerke my friend, I wish I could buy you a beer right now.  I’ve been having problems with DR2.0 and F1 2018 crashing to desktop and it’s been driving me crazy.  Turns out I had shut off my page file because I only had a small SSD and 8gb ram was more than enough - I thought. Turned the page file back on thanks to your post here and I’ll be damned, problem solved.  Henceforth I shall shout your name (and this fix) far and wide, you have my undying gratitude.  👏

Thank you , that did the trick for me too!

I however only activated page file on my regular hdd (the one Dirt Rally 2.0 is installed on) and not on my SSD so it will not create premature wear on it.

Use launch options in steam and set framerate cap 10fps above your monitor refresh rate. type this if u have 60hz monitor:

-fscap 70

Edited by Hribowc

Worked for months ok, all of a sudden not anymore, a. after upgrade my GTX1080 got too hot, gave more cooler spin, b. set Windows compatibility to "8.1" for my"x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally 2.0\dirtrally2.exe"