DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is wonderful. Stop complaining!

I've posted this originally on reddit, but I think it's also relevant here, so:

I absolutely love this game and can't understand the negativity around here. You guys should work on showing gratitude and appreciate good stuff, because a lot of opinions sound like taken from some really spoiled kids (and I would know, I'm a teacher :)).

The driving model is the best in the series so far, you can feel the weight of the cars like in Dirt 4, while all of the understeer issues have been solved. Driving is incredibly satisfying, especially in Poland and New Zealand. The small details, the tyre choice, track degradation, the overall atmosphere... simply amazing. You can almost feel the mud, gravel and dirt on your skin. 😉 I'd like to argue with some of the complaints mentioned here:

Racenet. I really like the idea of having my career tied into online events. It feels... like a comprehensive experience. Never once have I experienced issues with the servers. Gran Turismo Sport also requires constant internet connection for its main mode and it's also a great game. Just accept it, it's the future.

DLCs. You get 6 rallies full of great stages, just like in the first game, yet it's not enough for many of you: you want 9, or better 12. I think Codies have the right to release the previous rallies as paid DLC. They are a company, not a non-profit organisation, and they've created the best rally experience of this generation. They deserve to get paid well.

Lack of VR. Ok, this one I can understand a little bit, although personally it doesn't affect me because driving in VR makes me sick pretty quickly. 🙂 Still, I can't grasp that some people are so hooked on VR that they can't enjoy a game that doesn't support it.

There are some minor issues of course, like too much blur on PS4, lack of F2 Kit Cars, a damage model being still too forgiving, and a floating feeling on tarmac (although it's been improved since Dirt Rally in my opinion). If Codies keep updating the game, making minor tweaks here and there, I think we're finally getting a Richard Burns Rally successor.

I'll probably get a lot of negative feedback for my post, but I don't care. I was really annoyed and just had to get it out of my system. I just want to say this:

Thank you Codemasters.

Spot on sir, we've all got our own ways we would like to see it improved, but it's a step forward in almost every area and hopefully that's just the start.

Nearly all the negative reviews on Steam even say in the text how good a game it is, but are moaning about the online system. 

Racenet isn't a minor issues. It shouldn't exist. And as we see the sale numbers are really low. Glad to see people voting with their wallets. Unless racenet is removed there's no point buying it because you can't play it.

Yep - It is definitely an improvement in 95% of the features/functionality.  Some of the improvements just make you say YES, FINALLY!

But the other 5% of stuff can be a real bummer I have to say, the obvious Racenet/Online thing, FFB for many, and for me the hardcore damage limit out of Career and making the handbrake digital on/off (essentially or totally) is infuriating.  So all those issues and more can be resolved, most relatively easily, I just worry that men in suits will block something like hardcore damage in Career or allowing some offline Career.🔮

Edit: NO - DO NOT STOP COMPLAINING IF YOU WANT TO SEE CHANGE! (but be fair)  🙂

Yes there are elements of the game that could be improved, there are some odd design decisions and things that are slightly disappointing, but fundamentally the game is extremely rewarding and fun.

Current culture (in particular internet culture) seems to promote negativity. Far more weight is given to something bad than something good. In this case, a few bad things about this game have been blown out of proportion by the hate train, when in reality the positives more than make up for the negatives.

Such is life I suppose... people love to have a good moan.

EDIT: Myself included, I just moan about work and the weather!

6 minutes ago, Bybukas said:

Racenet isn't a minor issues. It shouldn't exist. And as we see the sale numbers are really low. Glad to see people voting with their wallets. Unless racenet is removed there's no point buying it because you can't play it.

The only issues I've had is the "connection failed" screen after finishing an event. However, each time this happens, it works properly when I click "Retry".

How bad is the issue for you? Can you actually not play it at all?

^ I think those people are right, it is more and more in this society actually that large businesses IGNORE user complaints and walk all over their customers.  Many customers just take it in the rear end and accept corporate decisions without complaint.  If everyone just sat here giving praise and no feedback on what they don't like, CM (and any other business) would just make arbitrary decisions for them. (and often not the best for the consumer just as such is life and often the most profitable things are least user friendly)

In essence, it is not at all about the Internet age, it is about human nature and really animal life too to focus on problems, you must focus on a problem to resolve it.  People who don't do that, and just get into the clouds achieve very little for themselves and society.  But yes they may be happier.   The Internet just makes it easier to convey messages for everyone.    my20c

I agree this game is good, and fun. Youtubers and reviewers are praising it in the right way. BUT, the FFB is not working as it should, the handbrake is not analogue for those that have one, this is a step backwards. There are a few missteps and I can't help but feel that these things should have been noticed, so CM cause their own problems and can expect some complaints. Why can't we save replays ffs? This is not a new thing, and a photo mode would be nice. I also have an issue with the setups, that I have to rename every time I overwrite one with a small tweak. It only needs a name because there is no info to go with them. Oh and I won't mention why everyone had to demand VR, at least we will see something soon enough. Give players all the flexibility and you will please more people.

But yeah, some people just moan for the sake of it. For example, some guy said the FWD cars understeer... I mean, durr.

I absolutely agree that problems should be highlighted, and businesses cant take us for granted, but people really blow things out of proportion, especially in gaming. I agree that it is natural for us to pin point issues but there requires a measured response not a "Stupid game not worth any of your time or money" type of response which some people put on steam.

It is also natural for people to follow trends, and opinions can become unrealistically morphed by influence and/or association. That is all I'm saying here, that negativity spreads like wildfire. If everyone tried the game individually without external influence you would have a many isolated raging fires instead. These fires can be dealt with in time with improvements and fixes, but the wildfire has the potential to destroy the game entirely.

If that happens and the devs loose interest in improving the game (as with Dirt 4), then nothing is fixed and everyone looses.

Racenet issues are not blown out of proportion though. People are still losing savegames almost a week in, having to start from scratch.

I haven't even started career mode yet and won't until they remove Racenet from the singleplayer campaign.

15 minutes ago, austinb said:

I absolutely agree that problems should be highlighted, and businesses cant take us for granted, but people really blow things out of proportion, especially in gaming. I agree that it is natural for us to pin point issues but there requires a measured response not a "Stupid game not worth any of your time or money" type of response which some people put on steam.

It is also natural for people to follow trends, and opinions can become unrealistically morphed by influence and/or association. That is all I'm saying here, that negativity spreads like wildfire. If everyone tried the game individually without external influence you would have a many isolated raging fires instead. These fires can be dealt with in time with improvements and fixes, but the wildfire has the potential to destroy the game entirely.

If that happens and the devs loose interest in improving the game (as with Dirt 4), then nothing is fixed and everyone looses.

Yes that is true as well to an extent.  I guess for some people they call it voting with their wallet.  I figure most would come back if whatever they complained about was addressed. (and if it was reasonable)

I don't find having my career progress wiped to be a wonderful experience. Sorry, I just don't.

Completely disagree with the OP.

This a full price title with some game braking bugs and not an early access "let's try to make it good".
I can't understand why people are saying it's not a problem CM are working on it, wait a few months it will be all good ... as mentioned this is not early access.

Also the always online connection to RaceNet for the single player career has from my point of view to be removed. RaceNet is fine for events, dailys, weeklys, leaderboard time trial and so on but not for the single player.

1 hour ago, cwot said:

I don't find having my career progress wiped to be a wonderful experience. Sorry, I just don't.

Ok I must admit, I'd be pretty mad if that happened to me...

@danielofifi when I first saw your topic’s title I thought “here’s a clever click bait, I bet everyone and their mothers will be checking on this”. And then I read it... and re-read it... and just stood gawking in awe for a while, because I realized that you actually and literally meant stop complaining / criticizing this game!

I don’t have a clue on what’s going on on Reddit but I’ve been following this forum for a long time and I truly cannot find the negativity you refer to. What I can clearly see is a lot of people that, like you, love this game to bits and, because of that, want it to be more and better and so they express their likes, dislikes, wishes and suggestions. Thanks to that, interesting and sometimes passionate discussions arise, mostly in a helpful, civilized and constructive way (yes, there will always be the one). Hopefully also thanks to that, lots of useful feedback is being passed on to the Codies so that they can keep improving the game, expanding its contents and adding more features.

True, some comments or requests or complaints may sound a bit peculiar and even childish (in the likes of “please include my grandmother’s car in the game because she used to drive me to the park and I grew emotionally attached to it”) but so what? If they are of any interest they grab enough traction and float for a while, if not... they fall into the black hole where uninteresting topics go to rest for eternity (like, for example, my suggestion to create a dedicated DR2 forum).

So you’re one of the (few?) lucky ones that never had problems with Racenet, you don’t wish for more ingame content and you don’t care for VR because you get motion sickness and these are your main arguments to tell people in this forum to stop complaining about these issues?

I definitely but respectfully have to disagree with you and ask everyone to do exactly the opposite. All those who love this game and want to contribute to make it better, should never stop complaining about what they feel is wrong or stop asking and suggesting for more and better features and contents (preferably in a polite and constructive way).

Sorry but the FFB issue is real and makes a total mockery of the game. 

For something that is supposed to about realism, they completely and utterly dropped the ball with FFB. 

I'm getting 10x the understeer that I did in dirt4. It may be the ffb though hard to tell. At least in dirt 4 it was possible to oversteer off throttle. When I do manage to get the car sideways  in rally 2.0 after about 2 secs of smooth sliding and throttle control the car snaps oversteer to unrecoverable angle sometimes even spins which doesn't make any sense. Another issue is a possible input and ffb delay that some people like me may be getting.

@Fizzlenog I’m also struggling with that same problem, specially with the 80’s FWD cars but I just assumed that the culprit was my feeble driving skills so I kept on trying with different driving techniques but to no avail. Maybe someone more seasoned could jump in and either confirm that it is a problem with the game or give us some clues on how it’s done...

@Fizzlenog and @Mastoideu, what techniques have you been using (in detail)? 

I do realise that many set the car up nicely for a corner and then just floor the throttle. That was possible in e.g. Dirt Rally but not in Dirt Rally 2.0. If you are indeed doing that, it's no surprise that the car just spins out and you are facing the wrong way. That's how it is in real life as well, more or less. I'm not saying that it is a complete replication of sliding in real life but it's closer than ever before in many ways, especially on gravel. We know tarmac physics have undergone improvements but it is still a weak point. 

A combination of adjusting the amount of steering input while cornering and feathering or playing on the throttle and brakes until you reach that point you can floor it again, is quite the art style that takes many, many attempts to get right. Practise is key here so keep trying and don't give in. 

It's completely fine to complain about issues as long as they are not blown out of propositions or just false. Telling people to completely stop complaining is just not very nice and probably no one will listen to you for that 😕

@SimVansevenant Thank you for the tips. And it’s true, in DR1, specially with FWD cars, flooring the gas when the car was at the right atitude would work like a charm. The thing is that in DR2 I find it already very difficult to loosen the rear to get the car sliding into the direction it needs to be. It just feels like no matter how much gas I apply, or how much weight I shift, the rear just refuses to slide (in gravel, mud, etc). In DR1 I was able to pull out Norwegian Flicks successfully most of the times, here I haven’t managed to pull a single one yet. But even when I manage to get the car sliding sideways, as soon as I give it some gas (no matter how much) the front just loses grip and slides to the opposite side of the turn (I fear to call it oversteer because it doesn’t even feel “natural”), which is exactly the opposite what would I’d expect when having the front wheels forcing the car to go straight. The best approach I could manage so far was by keeping the steering wheel at the exact angle used to get it to slide sideways for the whole duration of the slide and without straightening it starting to apply gas progressively. (I’m aware that this description is a total mess but it’s the best I can do with my limited control of the English language).

lol, you people dont have the same opinion as me so stop posting feedback! lol

maybe the RACENET gods will taketh away your career multiple times, lol

forced online career mode not advertised is kinda a big deal for some people.

ffb problems is kinda a big deal to some.

none progressive handbrake is kinda a big deal for some people.

stutter is kinda a big deal for some people. 

i may of left some out but point made.

lol

i did preorder the deluxe in support of codemasters and for the love of rally

1 hour ago, Mastoideu said:

@SimVansevenant Thank you for the tips. And it’s true, in DR1, specially with FWD cars, flooring the gas when the car was at the right atitude would work like a charm. The thing is that in DR2 I find it already very difficult to loosen the rear to get the car sliding into the direction it needs to be. It just feels like no matter how much gas I apply, or how much weight I shift, the rear just refuses to slide (in gravel, mud, etc). In DR1 I was able to pull out Norwegian Flicks successfully most of the times, here I haven’t managed to pull a single one yet. But even when I manage to get the car sliding sideways, as soon as I give it some gas (no matter how much) the front just loses grip and slides to the opposite side of the turn (I fear to call it oversteer because it doesn’t even feel “natural”), which is exactly the opposite what would I’d expect when having the front wheels forcing the car to go straight. The best approach I could manage so far was by keeping the steering wheel at the exact angle used to get it to slide sideways for the whole duration of the slide and without straightening it starting to apply gas progressively. (I’m aware that this description is a total mess but it’s the best I can do with my limited control of the English language).

Yep, it was a bit unrealistic in DR1 even though you have a LSD and proper tyres compared to a road car.  FWD's especially of back in the day with a not amazing balance, not amazing diff.... are going to be challenging.  I was always slightly amazed at how you could go WOT out of or through corners in DR even on something like snow/ice in Monaco.  There should have been a handful of understeer induced many times.

I agree with the thread-starter, DR 2.0 is an awesome game, the worthy successor of the original Dirt Rally. There are a few minor glitches here and there (racenet issues, total darkness on some rainy daytime stages, etc.) but in overall it's a very well made game.

What made a really great impression to me that although DR 2.0 is a realistic simulator it's very fun and enjoyable right out of the box. I mean the driving with a controller is well optimised, it's natural to drive with after some minor tweaks. I think nobody has mentioned yet but the basic car setups are really good. It feels that Codies made some efforts to tune the basic setups for making the cars balanced and fun to drive. In D4 I remember I had to tinker with setups way too much time just to make the cars somewhat driveable for me. In DR 2.0 most of the base setups are perfect for being a neutral starting point. After a few shakedowns I can still tweak them to suit my driving style better, but the cars are fun to drive even without changing a thing. 

It feels like the hand-crafted stages are designed with love. Before the release I watched gameplays on youtube and I wasn't sure how well made the stages will be. Some of them looked quite monotonous. After a couple days of playing I think my worries are gone: the stages are characteristic and they are fun to drive. Very memorable turns are in them, many nice sections with a great rhythm, with a good flow - which are looks amazing in the replays. The guys who designed them must be true rally fans. The location topography and the layout of the roads are realistic: they feel like real places, like real roads which connect places - not a gamey experience with random turns and jumps. Color palettes and lighting also making the visuals more realistic than ever: I havent been in exotic places like New Zealand or Argentina but I live in East Europe (Hungary) and the Polish stages are really captured the feel of the east-european country-sides. Top quality job!

Thank you Codemasters!