Sign in to follow this  

My Team AI problems, is it supposed to be like this Codemasters?!

I have done several challenges ending up in tier 3, so I turn to Career Rally starting the first season there with the Opel Kadett GT/E. During the first couple of rallies I fully upgrade the car and set the engine upgrade to III (3). After 6 rallies I end up in 23rd place in championship standings with a total of 11 points. Last rally, Poland, I was 1 minute and 40 minutes behind, so I had basically no chance.

My question to you, Codemasters: Is it supposed to be like that? That is: Is the career mode in the My Team section only meant to be enjoyed by the (few) top tier players? Why destroy the career mode in MyTeam off putting to medicore players? 

It may seen demotivating, though if you're a new player 23rd on the first career attempt is actually pretty reasonable.  I know I was new to dirt rallying as a whole when I got dirt rally 1, and I was pretty abysmal.  I generally couldn't do career, and absolutely couldn't play against the AI on the beginner difficulty in rallycross.  In the end it didn't really matter, placing 3rd place or higher in a career championship will promote you to the next difficulty, and it's a decent jump.  If you aren't ready for the jump you'll be middle of the pack again (ideally), get near last place and you'll be demoted.  

After well over 100 hours in Dirt Rally 1 I found I could actually do career up to the highest difficulty, and also finally can win at rallycross.  I mostly primarily played freeplay though, and I play that without any interest what so ever in winning.  I play it for the fun of actually driving the rally.  And the more you drive, the more experience you'll get.

Basically what I'm saying is you're doing it right, enjoy the act of actually driving the cars more so than focusing on being awarded points.  You'll gain skill, the points will come naturally.  It's designed to be hard, and no one has ever said that it wasn't.  Keep at it 🙂

• Agree 1

Well, actually I’m not new to rally. But of course, I should be careful of what I say in this echo chamber for sim rally enthusiasts.

I’ve done a little Free Play since yesterday. Hardcore damage On, no assists, and reduced the difficulty setting from 70 to 10 (very easy). On very easy setting I should be able to win all the stages when driving the VW Golf GTI, but nope! The best I could do in Australia was 4th and 5th overall. And this was on VERY EASY!!! As I said I’m an average tier 3 player, and with these settings players like me should be breezing through on very easy. So Codemasters has a job to do here, because as it is now, I cannot recommend this game to normal persons.

For the record: I normally drive somewhere between 5000 km and 10000 km with each rally game I play, like Colin McRae Rally 1, 2.0, 3, 4 and 5, WRC 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on PS2, WRC 1, 2, 3 and 4 on PS3, WRC 5, 6 and 7 on PS4, V-Rally 2, 3 and 4, Richard Burns Rally, Rally Trophy, Dirt 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Dirt Rally. So I would say I am quite an experienced rally driver. 😉

It is too bad that Codemasters seem to go the arcade way with the AI in this game which is supposed to be a sim. This kind of AI only makes me drive recklessly in which expose that this game really doesn’t have «Hardcore damage» at all, and low and behold how fast the car reacts when you put it in reverse and then back into 1st gear again after you have hit a tree! That reaction is as arcade as it can be! 😄 Sorry I had to say that, but it is the truth. 

This game needs a difficulty slider for My Team and the difficulty slider in Free Play should have a range of -20 to 120 instead of 1 to 100 as it is now. In that way more can enjoy this game, which in my opinion actually is quite good. 🙂 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, Kjell007 said:

I normally drive somewhere between 5000 km and 10000 km with each rally game I play, like Colin McRae Rally 1, 2.0, 3, 4 and 5, WRC 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on PS2, WRC 1, 2, 3 and 4 on PS3, WRC 5, 6 and 7 on PS4, V-Rally 2, 3 and 4, Richard Burns Rally, Rally Trophy, Dirt 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Dirt Rally. So I would say I am quite an experienced rally driver.

I'm sorry if what I'm about to say sounds mean, I don't want to sound disrespectful in how I say this but I have no other real way to say it - this is either a blatant lie, you've had a stroke recently and lost every skill you ever had, or your wheel/pedal setup is absolutely busted.

I won't say with all of that racing experience you should easily be winning at masters, but you should be able to breeze through Open especially if you played DR1. The difficulty definitely ramps up quickly in this game, but the issue is more around the Pro/Elite level being too punishing for the majority of players who make it there. The players struggling with Open normally are throttle mashing everything and their issue is just learning to drive slower to be in more control. If you've raced as many miles as you say, you should have learned that slow is clean, clean is fast skill years ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, CatBadders said:

I won't say with all of that racing experience you should easily be winning at masters, but you should be able to breeze through Open especially if you played DR1.

Hey, I breezed through Open with Fulvia, easily bringing up to 10 seconds for each minute to AI class leader. Upgraded to Clubman and fired up my favourite Pug 205 (H2 FWD). And just... wow. Now AI gangbangs me left, right and center. Gettin into top-10 is a cause for celebration now. And as the OP, I mostly get a little above the mid results in community events.

5 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

On very easy setting I should be able to win all the stages when driving the VW Golf GTI, but nope!

For the record: I normally drive somewhere between 5000 km and 10000 km with each rally game I play, like Colin McRae Rally 1, 2.0, 3, 4 and 5, WRC 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on PS2, WRC 1, 2, 3 and 4 on PS3, WRC 5, 6 and 7 on PS4, V-Rally 2, 3 and 4, Richard Burns Rally, Rally Trophy, Dirt 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Dirt Rally. So I would say I am quite an experienced rally driver. 😉

If you're experienced with DiRT Rally then you should know that on "easy" difficulties the pack is spread out, making it easier to progress to the next level - however the top times are still very, very fast. You definitely shouldn't be able to win all the stages.

That's part of what makes the experience rewarding 👍

Keep practicing. I personally found the first season very easy but am finding Clubman tricky in the Quattro.

Find a car you know you can drive fast without taking too many risks and you'll start to progress.

imho   open is very easy (fulvia)   but now difference in clubman  is too much (polo r5 without upgrades)    wonder  how  pro elite and masters would be 🙂

btw,  where is the setting to change AI difficulty?  can't find it 😄

1 hour ago, teknoid85 said:

btw,  where is the setting to change AI difficulty?  can't find it 😄

For the My Team/career mode ? That's something I'd like to know too. Resetting doesn't seem to work.

'Cause I finally managed to get in Elite, but hell ! Fighting for the 29th position in a brand new and unprepared CItroën C3 R5 is actually quite frustrating.

I know that it can only get better with a fully upgrade car, but I think I know how good I am, going back to Pro Level would be perfect, I used to do that in Dirt 1

But well, now, it seems like once you're in Elite, you're stuck there.

the masters class in dirt rally 1    is  the same difficulty level of   clubman/pro in dirt rally 2.0  in my opinon

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, poupoule said:

For the My Team/career mode ? That's something I'd like to know too. Resetting doesn't seem to work.

'Cause I finally managed to get in Elite, but hell ! Fighting for the 29th position in a brand new and unprepared CItroën C3 R5 is actually quite frustrating.

I know that it can only get better with a fully upgrade car, but I think I know how good I am, going back to Pro Level would be perfect, I used to do that in Dirt 1

But well, now, it seems like once you're in Elite, you're stuck there.

You are not stuck in Elite. Abandon championship and you will be relegated to Pro 🙂

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Voidhawk said:

You are not stuck in Elite. Abandon championship and you will be relegated to Pro 🙂

regarding my post above, you don't find the difficulty to extreme compared to  dirt rally 1.0?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Voidhawk said:

Actually, abandon championship doesn't work. You'll have to retire from each event, and be 28th/29th/30th at the end of the championship.

I've just done that and that works just like Dirt 1 (And now, I'm back to pro. Must say, that's a relief 😄)

Edited by poupoule
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, teknoid85 said:

regarding my post above, you don't find the difficulty to extreme compared to  dirt rally 1.0?

It’s definitely much harder in all levels.

That in itself doesn’t bother me providing it is not impossible. Has anyone reached Masters yet?

15 minutes ago, poupoule said:

Actually, abandon championship doesn't work. You'll have to retire from each event, and be 28th/29th/30th at the end of the championship.

I've just done that and that works just like Dirt 1 (And now, I'm back to pro. Must say, that's a relief 😄)

Ah cheers. I knew I’d done it but couldn’t recall how. In a way that’s good as you can now abandon a championship and keep your level if you so wish..... Good for running events in a new car while upgrading!

27 minutes ago, Voidhawk said:

It’s definitely much harder in all levels.

That in itself doesn’t bother me providing it is not impossible. Has anyone reached Masters yet?

but (example) if only 10 owners could win a masters chapionship , you understand that is not possible.   

1 hour ago, teknoid85 said:

Too extreme overall? No. Is the ramp up too extreme? Yes, they need to turn each "tier" down 5-7% on he difficulty, but leave Masters where it's at. I haven't had a chance to race enough to get all the way up there, but I feel confident it'll be a great tier to end at. If they are using 100% AI like it is in customs, I finally won't be able to just 1st/1st/1st/1st a championship anymore, I'll actually have to fight for those 2nd/3rd place finishes too!

1 minute ago, CatBadders said:

Too extreme overall? No. Is the ramp up too extreme? Yes, they need to turn each "tier" down 5-7% on he difficulty, but leave Masters where it's at. I haven't had a chance to race enough to get all the way up there, but I feel confident it'll be a great tier to end at. If they are using 100% AI like it is in customs, I finally won't be able to just 1st/1st/1st/1st a championship anymore, I'll actually have to fight for those 2nd/3rd place finishes too!

see my post above yours 👍

Just now, teknoid85 said:

see my post above yours 👍

If Masters is to the point only 10 players can beat it? Yeah, I'll agree that is a little extreme. But I don't think it'll be like that. You may not have 1000's of players beating Masters, but I know there are plenty of players right now who can crank up the difficulty to 100% and hold it down. I race with a handful now nightly in our discord picking random stages with a random car class, and then just start chopping time off the current WR. Now, not all of the WR's are amazing now, but all of these drivers are clearly capable of winning against 100% AI - which is what we'll normally run our public MP lobbies on.

So if Masters tier is only 100% AI, I don't think it'll be an issue. Not everyone should be able to win Masters. Not everyone should even be capable of getting promoted to Masters. It may not be a popular opinion, but that's my personal feeling on the difficulty. Masters should be the absolute pinnacle of racing; equal to the "Challenger" tier of League of Legends, or "Global Elite" in CSGO, or someone with an iRating of 4000+ in iRacing. Specifically because this is online, this is a mode designed to foster eSports and hardcore sim racers. There needs to be a built in filtering system, and this is exactly how you do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, teknoid85 said:

but (example) if only 10 owners could win a masters chapionship , you understand that is not possible.   

I honestly think if only 10 people could get to Masters then that’s too hard. But I’m perfectly happy if only 1% of players achieve it.

You should need to be a Master to compete at that level.

• Agree 2

Open / Clubman and Professional was a relative breeze to win, but you can not do many mistakes before AI gains on you. Starting on the Elite tonight and I’m excited to see how difficult it is. 

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Voidhawk said:

You should need to be a Master to compete at that level

Totally agree, and I think this is the exact reason Codies has said My Team is not a "Career" mode - you don't beat My Team, you compete within it. When people hear career mode, they instinctively think of a mode they should eventually be able to finish and "win".

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, CatBadders said:

Totally agree, and I think this is the exact reason Codies has said My Team is not a "Career" mode - you don't beat My Team, you compete within it. When people hear career mode, they instinctively think of a mode they should eventually be able to finish and "win".

Furthermore I don’t get why it bothers people. You find your level of play within its structure.

The only downside for someone like me who is a bottom 25% player is that the lower tier championships are too short.

But I can live with that as I can always jump into Freeplay if I’ve the urge for an epic length championship.

14 hours ago, pigloaf said:

If you're experienced with DiRT Rally then you should know that on "easy" difficulties the pack is spread out, making it easier to progress to the next level - however the top times are still very, very fast. You definitely shouldn't be able to win all the stages.

That's part of what makes the experience rewarding 👍

But I am not playing the game on easy, I play the game on VERY EASY. 😉

• Like 1