Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Cockpit View - Will you use it?

Always used bonnet cam, but if they decide to support Oculus Rift at some point then cockpit cam would come into its own.

Ever thought  off track-ir Joe?
Yeah tried it a few years back (V5).  Its good for what it does, but the Rift is a whole different ball game.  You are IN the car (played Assetto Corsa with the DK1).  If you haven't tried one yet, trust me its a game changer (in every sense), or will be with the DK2 version (higher res plus positional tracking).

Yeah I have the v5 version aswell and still use it but not always I must confess. 
I have to believe you on youre word, I never tried it.
I believe there isn't much chance here to do that in holland.
But defentllty gonna see if I can try it out here.  :D  

I typically find Bonnet Cam to be more immersive, and is my go to camera angle. I dont want to see both my G27 wheel, and the cars wheel in game.
Which is why this game is going to have a cockpit view that doesn't show the wheel.

yeah but not all time....depending my mood , the cars, modes etc
for example in derby mode i prefer chase camera to see the colissions and my car's damages better..
some cars have  wide field  (open wheels) of vew some othe have not ...
but i always like the option of a cokpit view...

B-)

If cockpit cam includes helmet cam in your polls, then yes all the time as it made left hand and right hand drive cars all the more immersive.

Voted ''most of the time''. Mainly when racing Touring Cars and the open-wheelers. 

Either way, I'm very pleased to see the cockpit view making a come-back.

Just thought it would be interesting to see how the forum will use the return of cockpit view. I'll use it occasionally, I'm a bonnet cam player but occasionally I'll have a session where I want to experience that feeling of being 'right in the heart of the pack'. I won't use it a lot because I've always found it too restrictive to view what's going on around you. Without the ability to move my head as in real life I don't agree with people who claim it's the most realistic way to play a racing game.
This. Cockpit view is fun offline now and again, but even with the proximity arrows it’s much harder to tell what’s going on around you than it is in a real car. So in fairness to other drivers who have a reasonable expectation that I won’t randomly drive into them, I doubt I’ll ever use it online.

I love to use it sometimes, but most of the time I use the far cam because it is easier to see what's arounnd you. But cockpit has more immersion. Occulus Rift would really a nice addition especially for racing games :).

The only time I used cockpit cams was in CMR1. After that, I've been always using 3rd (outside camera)  in all racing games but the old F1 games for the ps2 plus these new anual bug fests CM Birmingham got us all used to.

I'll be using outside car camera too on Grid2 but with those similar to F1 cars. I'll use the T-cam on those.

I noticed in this video, that the interior is blurred out, because "that's how actual drivers see it". I think this is nonsense, because when you look on your dial, or in your mirrors, you'd like to see what your dials are showing, and if there is someone next to or behind you...
Positive
  • Cockpit view is back
  • 'Hide' steering wheel option so you don't see two steering wheels.
Negative
  • Cockpit view is blurred, which makes mirrors and dials useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8jFfM6FfA

Will never use unless host has it set, so I will use it occasionally online if set in race  :)  Always use farthest chase cam.

Will always use it. I don't like to play as a floating eye behind the car. I'm all for the immersion.
Me too. But without a multi-monitor setup, cockpit view doesn't give me a realistic field of view without having to press buttons to turn my "head", which rather breaks that immersion. And usually makes me crash  :))

With the Oculus coming up and having seen some awesome videos of people looking around in the cockpit in Assetto Corsa, I think you guys should really consider giving us a proper cockpit view like DiRT 2 & DiRT 3 had, instead of a blurred one that was shown in the gameplay video's...

I tend to go back and forth with cockpit and bonnet cam with most CM games, depending on what I'm driving. You do get a great sense of speed with bonnet cam I find!