Any assistance please?

Cards on table, I suck at this game but love it and want to improve.

I am a seasoned SIM racer but really just track based, so rally is a big change and I really could do with advice.

I've started the career which starts from what I hear on very very easy mode but still finish 30th. I'm using the lancia and just can't seem make the switch from track. 

It's not that I'm crashing I'm just too slow although I'd probably crash if I went faster. I'm struggling to turn the wheel

I'm using a Logitech g25 but I'm finding a lot resistance when i turn which makes it tough to steer quickly in either direction. So hairpin and tight corners are very slow. I'm also struggling to use the handbrake mapped to the wheel because it's so damn hard handling the wheel in time. I haven't even used the shifter yet as I couldn't control the wheel with one hand.

Although finishing 30th on easy, I'm regularly finishing in tier 3 on community events which surprises me.

Any tips to help make the transition to rallying as I want to master this?

Edited by DozUK
Spelling
  • Agree 1

nqDZAaS.jpg 

these are my G27 settings from Dirt Rally that ported over 1:1 perfect for me in 2.0, it should help a bit. Also turn down your steering rotation to something like 540° - it will change your entire game experience for the better. Other than that just keep pushing it. You don't get better by beating slower drivers, you get better by losing to faster ones 😉

Thanks very much, i'll try those settings out.

Much appreciated

If it's still too hard drop the SAT setting (top one)

I would suggest giving it a go with wheel friction off completely. It's just static friction that doesn't give you any information. You might find the wheel too light with it off, some people do, but it will fix the heavy wheel issue you're having.

Thanks very much for the advice, I will experiment and hope it helps. I think setting the rotation down will help as I'm really twisting my arms but along with the resistance it makes the process slow and I can't react quickly. I think the combination of all advice given will surely help my reactions to turns, so many thanks

Yea I play circuit games on higher rotation too but on the loose surface stuff you have to be so reactive people who play on lower really have an advantage even if you're sacrificing realism. Idk if you're familiar with rally driving in general but if you're used to sims and you're driving slow enough to not crash you're already approaching learning it better than most ppl who just overdrive and crash the whole time.

For the fwd cars the left foot braking tips @CatBadders was giving are massively helpful too, you tend to keep the throttle planted to pull the car round the corner and left foot brake where you need to tighten the turn radius. If you aren't on the throttle in corners you're going too slow because at the right speed it's needed to keep you on the road. Once you get the hang of it you'll be having a blast though I'm sure. Good luck.

Though I just realised you only said Lancia, I assumed it was the fulvia for some reason, but it all still applies to the 4wd too.

Edited by Cortextual

17 hours ago, DozUK said:

Cards on table, I suck at this game but love it and want to improve.

I am a seasoned SIM racer but really just track based, so rally is a big change and I really could do with advice.

I've started the career which starts from what I hear on very very easy mode but still finish 30th. I'm using the lancia and just can't seem make the switch from track. 

It's not that I'm crashing I'm just too slow although I'd probably crash if I went faster. I'm struggling to turn the wheel

I'm using a Logitech g25 but I'm finding a lot resistance when i turn which makes it tough to steer quickly in either direction. So hairpin and tight corners are very slow. I'm also struggling to use the handbrake mapped to the wheel because it's so damn hard handling the wheel in time. I haven't even used the shifter yet as I couldn't control the wheel with one hand.

Although finishing 30th on easy, I'm regularly finishing in tier 3 on community events which surprises me.

Any tips to help make the transition to rallying as I want to master this?

Don't worry I have been finishing 30th in first career championship too.... despite making it to Elite in Dirt Rally 1.

I've started now finishing mid 20s and that feels an achievement. Don't worry most on this forum are seasoned rally game fans so what is hard for us is easy for them.

But it doesn't matter.... you will improve and there's no rush to hit master. Just enjoy the challenge

I finish the dailies in tier 3 so at least we know 25% of players are even worse lol

🙂

Edited by Voidhawk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voidhawk said:

so what is hard for us is easy for them

I wouldn't go that far, we just tend to have hucked a car into that problem corner 100x more than most people so we at least have an idea of all the bad things that can happen and try to avoid those just like the rest of you. Like I tell everyone in my Discord, once you're gunning for those really fast times you don't "drive" 100% of the stage - you drive maybe 70% and the other 30% you hang on for dear life hoping you painted that entry line flawlessly or you're about to DNF :classic_laugh:

• Agree 1

Hey guys I really appreciate the advice and support. Feel much better now about my low placement and feel I have something to work at. You've all just inspired me to boot up the game, change my wheel settings and fight for the next step. 29th place, here I come!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Wheel much better thanks, still a tad resistant though so I'll take cortextuals advice and reduce wheel friction further.

Just placed 21st in first stage of Argentina (2nd event) so that's an achievement. Cheers guys

The LFB tip is a gem!

Edited by DozUK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also dont be afraid to throw the car into the corners and drift through them. Unlike track racing its faster to slide through gravel corners rather than going slow enough to hold your grip. You really have to push the car to the limit to get fast times. Funny thing is I'm terrible at track racing in my other sims and get destroyed by people but I'm not too bad at this game. I'm currently in the 2nd teir (clubman) and still winning by 20+ seconds if I dont crash.

Edited by Rigle

17 minutes ago, Rigle said:

Unlike track racing its faster to slide through gravel corners rather than going slow enough to hold your grip

There is a very fine line you need to ride with this. While it is definitely faster to slide through some corners, your goal really should be to just ride that line of grip/slip and abuse either the corner entry OR the corner exit slip. If you're chasing WR times you need to abuse both, but focusing on just riding the absolute limits of grip even on gravel will typically yield better times than hucking it deep like this **** is going to end up on youtube.

• Like 1

Haha well I'm not chasing any world records. Just like to beat the AI. And what i meant was dont slow down to the point of no oversteer as that would be way too slow.

I'm still having issues with my wheel, maybe I haven't calibrated it correctly. I'm still feeling a fair bit of resistance (Although it's better than it was) having reduced wheel friction down to zero.

I'm struggling in tight corners, I can't seem to turn the wheel quickly enough and cross my arms. The stiffness of the wheel doesn't make it work and I end up taking an age, losing a lot of time and facing a wall. It may just be me and I may just need to look to master the handbrake.

In terms of general play, your advice has worked wonders, I progressed slowly in the right direction in event 2 and 3 and so far in 4 having done 3 stages I'm in ninth place! Hopefully if I can continue in that vane for the final stage I may even take a point!

All good progress and I'm improving and enjoying it so once again many thanks for your help and advice

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DozUK said:

I'm still having issues with my wheel, maybe I haven't calibrated it correctly. I'm still feeling a fair bit of resistance (Although it's better than it was) having reduced wheel friction down to zero.

I'm struggling in tight corners, I can't seem to turn the wheel quickly enough and cross my arms. The stiffness of the wheel doesn't make it work and I end up taking an age, losing a lot of time and facing a wall. It may just be me and I may just need to look to master the handbrake.

In terms of general play, your advice has worked wonders, I progressed slowly in the right direction in event 2 and 3 and so far in 4 having done 3 stages I'm in ninth place! Hopefully if I can continue in that vane for the final stage I may even take a point!

All good progress and I'm improving and enjoying it so once again many thanks for your help and advice

You should reduce wheel degrees of rotation to 540. I'd say generally speaking self aligning torque should stay at 70 or below. This should give the ability to make decent inputs/catch slides and not get all in a fizzle crossing your arms.

Also other ways to reduce steering input is to go hard on the brake with your left foot to load up the front, this will increase rotation of the car. As will a dab on the handbrake, but the handbrake will reduce momentum more than good LFB 

Edited by Rallystu2
  • Agree 1

Thanks, how exactly would you set the degrees of rotation to 540? I've tried during calibration however I could have done this wrong as I don't fully understand it.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DozUK said:

Thanks, how exactly would you set the degrees of rotation to 540? I've tried during calibration however I could have done this wrong as I don't fully understand it.

Use the Logitech profile. There you can define the rotation. Another tip is, when driving in dirt/gravel, before the turn, turn a bit before. Also, if imagine, the turn is left, do a bit of right first and then left, so you car can slide better (we call it scadinavian).

Edited by Steverex

Thanks, I'm actually playing on PS4 so don't have the logitech profile. I can only adjust settings using the calibration tool and I'm not sure that I understand how to do this?

1 hour ago, DozUK said:

Thanks, I'm actually playing on PS4 so don't have the logitech profile. I can only adjust settings using the calibration tool and I'm not sure that I understand how to do this?

You might be able to plug into PC, set the rotation limit to 540° in the profiler, and see if it carries over onto the PS4 since that works for some Thrustmaster setups. 

If that doesn't work go into the wheel settings and set Soft-Lock to 60%. For whatever reason this should lock it around 540°.

Ah right, thanks. I don't believe settings carry over from a PC so soft lock might be the answer. I'll certainly give this a go, thanks for your help

G29 doesn't have internal memory. Soft lock might be the only way. 

sent you a DM DozUK

just on the G25 front, i had a G25 with a knackered motor, it caused alot of wheel friction/drag. if the wheel has any friction whilst not powered up, it could be a faulty motor causing the extra resistance that cant be dialed out via profiler settings........ just a thought

the power up sequence on a faulty G25 will result in slow rotation from left to right during calibration sequence, it should be a really fast rotation. 

MM

3 hours ago, CatBadders said:

If that doesn't work go into the wheel settings and set Soft-Lock to 60%. For whatever reason this should lock it around 540°.

The reason is that 540 degrees is 60% of the max 900.