Jump to content Jump to content

Which is the better feeder series to F1

Juice29

In recent years you could argue FR3.5 because both Magnussen and Sainz have won the championship and have then progressed to F1. The last 3 GP2 champions (Valsecchi, Leimer and Palmer) have all missed it (so far). However, there is some serious talent in GP2 which I can see making the step soon (Vandoorne, Marciello, Evans, maybe Lynn if he takes part next year). I still think GP2 is the best series though, especially as it's on the same weekends as F1, it gets more attention I think.

Watching GP2, it's pretty clear to see which are the most talented drivers as they tend to stand out more. I mostly remember seeing Hamilton, Rosberg and Glock and immediately thinking they will make it as they were just much more composed than the rest of the field who mostly ended up making numerous silly mistakes or major ones. In recent years, no one has really stood out to me personally (though to be fair, I haven't followed much other than F1 and FE lately).
That being said, GP2 also churned out drivers like Maldonado who drives like he's still in the feeder series, perhaps a testament that there really hasn't been many standout drivers in GP2 in recent years.

Also there hasn't been a rookie champion since Hulkenberg I think? Valsecchi, Leimer and Palmer all kinda won the championship because they were in it long enough to get used to the cars and have the experience to win it. I was so impressed at Vandoorne this year, he's a star of the future in F1.

Thats a good argument but I think because of less attention WSR gets I feel that there are less errors from drivers the crashes you see in GP2 dont happen in WSR. If I was a f1 team boss i just could not see anyone (excluding those on development programmes) in GP2 driving one of my ,'cars'

WSR. Feel like the major players has mostly shifted their attention to the WSR, it has a more competitive driver's field and I believe the cars in it are faster and more powerful too. The most recent champions in GP2 are mostly guys who are way too old to be racing in feeder series, which isn't doing the competition good. The only thing GP2 has going for them it seems, is that they're supporting the F1-races. The better drivers seem to come from the WSR over the GP2 too.

Juice29 said:
Thats a good argument but I think because of less attention WSR gets I feel that there are less errors from drivers the crashes you see in GP2 dont happen in WSR. If I was a f1 team boss i just could not see anyone (excluding those on development programmes) in GP2 driving one of my ,'cars'
You wouldn't let Vandoorne drive one of your cars. He's the most exciting young talent outside of F1 imo , but apart from that , GP2 doesn't really have anyone. WSR has more talent.

Juice29 said:
You wouldn't let Vandoorne drive one of your cars. He's the most exciting young talent outside of F1 imo , but apart from that , GP2 doesn't really have anyone. WSR has more talent.
I said excluding those on driver development programmes Vandoorne is a McLaren 'junior'

• 2 weeks later...