ffb fixed, some comms from devs

for example in wreckfest there is absolutely no deadzone  in wheel center!!!!!!  it's not my wheel fault!!!!

That is what I meant earlier! Huge amount of play in wheel (g29) even when everything is set right. I got rid of that play when I set steering linearity to -2, but still the wheel is totally weightless at the center. Feels just like driving my Chevy van which has little bit play in steering box. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The g29 has a known deadzone issue with ffb. Bout 5% play at the centre. Hardware issue, I got rid of mine and replaced with a t300, much better.

9 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

The g29 has a known deadzone issue with ffb. Bout 5% play at the centre. Hardware issue, I got rid of mine and replaced with a t300, much better.

Main issue for me is that there is huge deadzone with some cars where I can't feel any wheel friction. I got rid of the non responsive area just by setting steering linearity to -2, as I said earlier, but that main problem is still there. And I really don't think that the amount of play teknoid is having is just a "hardware issue".

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Well I just know it's a known hardware issue as stated by many g29 owners (myself formerly included) 

For example, on my t300 I have no deadzone, therefore it isn't the games problem is it?

Plus I think dor has an effect, like it feels a lot better overall with 540

Edited by Rallystu2

I think the lack of FFB does make it feel like it has a deadzone at times. There's pretty much no forces on the wheel until the sidewards movement of the car induces SAT. I'm on a T300 and there isn't a deadzone bit the FFB can definitely make it feel like there is one at times. 

• Agree 1

@Murikka Have you tried to set Wheel Friction a bit higher than zero? This should add some turning resistance across the entire range of the wheel. Maybe it feels more consistent that way. But if it's really mechanically loose, then this would not change anything.

Scaff just put up an nice informative video about FFB real vs. fake effects in sims. Worth a watch.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

I had a G-27 that has been replaced by a T300 also am very happy with thrustmaster. Makes Logitech feel like a toy. But the g-27 suffered from this 5 degree deadzone that software could not compensate. I would imagine that all Logitech wheels have the same issue.

47 minutes ago, Laserjones said:

@Murikka Have you tried to set Wheel Friction a bit higher than zero? This should add some turning resistance across the entire range of the wheel. Maybe it feels more consistent that way. But if it's really mechanically loose, then this would not change anything.

I have wheel friction at 95. It's more car related at the moment. I can feel suspension ffb on the center part, but not wheel friction, unless i'm turning from left to right or vice versa, over the center part. But when turning from center part there is big deadzone where there is no wheel friction, but it's still responsive even with slight movement. This gets even worse on higher speeds, as the feel should get lighter, but I have almost 1/4 of full rotation with no wheel friction at all in higher speeds. And this is fully car related. Not all cars do this.

50 minutes ago, Pfei said:

Scaff just put up an nice informative video about FFB real vs. fake effects in sims. Worth a watch.

Excellent. I fully agree to what he says. Note that he does not use the term "fake effects" anywhere, but simply states that surface structure should be reflected by FFB even if it's not felt through the wheel in real life. How it is technically done is secondary from the player's point of view.

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, Murikka said:

I have wheel friction at 95. It's more car related at the moment. I can feel suspension ffb on the center part, but not wheel friction, unless i'm turning from left to right or vice versa, over the center part. But when turning from center part there is big deadzone where there is no wheel friction, but it's still responsive even with slight movement. This gets even worse on higher speeds, as the feel should get lighter, but I have almost 1/4 of full rotation with no wheel friction at all in higher speeds. And this is fully car related. Not all cars do this.

95 is much too high for wheel friction. It should be very low or zero, as it has nothing to to with driving dynamics. It only creates a general turning resistance of the wheel. If set too high, it may cover up SAT and maybe other forces.

• Agree 2

Yea that wheel friction is incredibly high. I personally have mine on 40, which I like combined with my sat and tyre friction

It's not that heavy actually and I use ps4 so I have only ingame options for wheel setup. If I use much less than that, the area with no friction gets even bigger with some cars. Now it at least feels good to drive, minus that deadzone.

1 hour ago, Laserjones said:

Excellent. I fully agree to what he says. Note that he does not use the term "fake effects" anywhere, but simply states that surface structure should be reflected by FFB even if it's not felt through the wheel in real life. How it is technically done is secondary from the player's point of view.

However, he does also say that currently ruts do not pull your wheel in a certain direction, which is simply false. 🤔 The VVV guys had noticed this in a video right after release, Jimmy Broadbent did and surely other Youtubers did as well. 

3 hours ago, Pfei said:

That's a very good explanation of current state of affairs with FFB in DR2. However I was quite perplexed when he stated that feeling of understeer is working well. I don't feel the wheel becoming any lighter when it happens, so in my experience it just isn't there. Do you guys have a different experience?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Murikka said:

It's not that heavy actually and I use ps4 so I have only ingame options for wheel setup. If I use much less than that, the area with no friction gets even bigger with some cars. Now it at least feels good to drive, minus that deadzone.

I use ps4 too, with a t300. With wheel friction that high, you will struggle to get a decent feeling with SAT and Tyre friction. The wheel friction is just real canned resistance. But if you like it, you like it.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Pistro said:

That's a very good explanation of current state of affairs with FFB in DR2. However I was quite perplexed when he stated that feeling of understeer is working well. I don't feel the wheel becoming any lighter when it happens, so in my experience it just isn't there. Do you guys have a different experience?

I think he was speaking in general theory and not specifically about DR2.0 at that point. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richie said:

However, he does also say that currently ruts do not pull your wheel in a certain direction, which is simply false. 🤔 The VVV guys had noticed this in a video right after release, Jimmy Broadbent did and surely other Youtubers did as well. 

Im defo not feeling forces of getting pulled when in going through ruts. Jimmy has spoke often about how poor the FFB is. 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richie said:

3 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Im defo not feeling forces of getting pulled when in going through ruts. Jimmy has spoke often about how poor the FFB is. 

Maybe those YouTubers were referring to the actual car movement in the game, but not to the force feedback? I honestly haven't tried it yet, as I only do time trials currently (and I hardly play at all, waiting for the FFB fix).

He's also said how light rally steering wheels are in real life so mehhhh

22 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

He might've criticised the FFB but in one of the first DR2.0 videos he put out he was driving the Datsun 240Z and he said he could feel the ruts pulling the car, usually you feel these things through your wheel. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

He's also said how light rally steering wheels are in real life so mehhhh

Older cars with no power steering can have quite heavy steering wheel at certain situations. I'm not a Jimmy or a famous youtuber, but I used to actually compete with older rwd cars. :classic_wacko:

And btw, you were right. I turned the wheel friction down and ramped tyre friction and suspension way up. My previous setup felt kinda similiar, but all the actual effects wasn't that strong. It feels better now, but without wheel friction it just feels strange at some points when first you get little bit heavier wheel when suspension is doing what it's suppose to do, but every now and then the wheel goes really light. When in real car there is always some sort of friction.  

I admit that 85% of time I have no clue what i'm supposed to do with these gaming devices. I spent way too much time with real cars. :classic_laugh:

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Murikka said:

Older cars with no power steering can have quite heavy steering wheel at certain situations. I'm not a Jimmy or a famous youtuber, but I used to actually compete with older rwd cars. :classic_wacko:

And btw, you were right. I turned the wheel friction down and ramped tyre friction and suspension way up. My previous setup felt kinda similiar, but all the actual effects wasn't that strong. It feels better now, but without wheel friction it just feels strange at some points when first you get little bit heavier wheel when suspension is doing what it's suppose to do, but every now and then the wheel goes really light. When in real car there is always some sort of friction.  

I admit that 85% of time I have no clue what i'm supposed to do with these gaming devices. I spent way too much time with real cars. :classic_laugh:

Yea I'm the same, I struggle with ffb setup, I end up trawling YouTube for every game.

I usually whack up the wheel friction for gt cars in pc2 for instance, but on rally games, you really need more info which requires Binning the wheel friction.

Edited by Rallystu2